Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)

Read 228302 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: Virgil van Dijk Player Thread (D)
      Reply #1748: Apr 01, 2023 07:20:03 pm
      Been a great player for us but is defo in a decline. 32 this year personally I would sell whilst there’s a bit of value this summer.

Not the player he was, need to be ruthless and not sentimental. It’s about what’s happening now not what he done on the past.

At this rate people will have us selling everyone
      instinct
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 175 posts | 18 
      Reply #1749: Apr 01, 2023 08:19:23 pm

At this rate people will have us selling everyone

Tbh we do need a squad overhaul. We are an old squad one of the oldest in the premier league I do believe.
      Virgil isn’t going to get any better. However with better players in front of him he’ll still be a top quality defender, but with his age he ain’t going to be playing  week in week out after next season.
      PolarBearRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,695 posts | 837 
      Reply #1750: Apr 01, 2023 08:19:42 pm
      I honestly don't see what's the point of singling out players anymore. I can see the emotional incentive to do so, but I think we are way past the point where we look at this as something caused by 3 or 4 players, even if we let our emotions run loose. Except for 2 or 3 lads, the whole team has been playing like sh*t with incredible consistency ever since the season started. 

It's a season to forget. Regroup, spend big in the summer to get the players we need, let go of those we don't need and go again next season. No point in trying to single out one or two players after each game as if we were playing good football only for them to ruin it.

Nobody on the pitch, today, deserves more than 5/10 at most. The dog didn't eat the homework, the homework was simply never done to start with.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #1751: Apr 10, 2023 08:38:57 pm
      Not buying the "Virgil is past it" stuff. He has lost a bit of pace, but is still not slow and still has all the ability to be a great CB. There's been loads of great CBs who are a lot slower (think Thiago Silva the last few years).

His problem is loss of form plus complacency. His non-marking of Jesus for their 2nd yesterday being a case in point. Nothing to do with speed etc, just switching off and leaving it to Robbo race in and try to cover their only player in the box. He's been doing things like that all season. He needs a combination of time to get back into form plus some competition for his place.
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #1752: Apr 18, 2023 01:51:33 am
      Not buying the "Virgil is past it" stuff. He has lost a bit of pace, but is still not slow and still has all the ability to be a great CB. There's been loads of great CBs who are a lot slower (think Thiago Silva the last few years).

His problem is loss of form plus complacency. His non-marking of Jesus for their 2nd yesterday being a case in point. Nothing to do with speed etc, just switching off and leaving it to Robbo race in and try to cover their only player in the box. He's been doing things like that all season. He needs a combination of time to get back into form plus some competition for his place.
      To be reasonable, this is what most fans think, they don't think he's past it just like he's acting too cool or whatever, he should be a beast in that box, the laid back Dutch thing can stop and real defending can happen, because he's not at the game for large parts of games this season.
      He should be an assassin in that box and defend his amazing goalkeepers goal, just basic stuff.
      Crunchycrisps
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts | 85 
      Reply #1753: Apr 29, 2023 05:06:55 am
      More passion please Virgil, I hate to think that tw*t of a goalie wrecked your career, I don't think that happened, he isn't wrecked but he's got that Dutch lets act cool thing. no flap and flounder, last ditch everything ever to stop goals, that needs to happen many times in this fast paced league.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1754: Apr 30, 2023 10:39:26 pm
      His drop off this season only worse by Fabinho.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #1755: May 01, 2023 09:38:14 am
      If our team (midfield and FBs) keeps on exposing our central defenders and leaving them isolated, Virgil will continue to look like he’s struggling. Konate has the pace to recover but Virgil seems to have lost his. Cheers Prickford.

He also spends a lot of time checking up on the rest of our defensive personnel/shape when opponents attack instead of focusing on his position/marking/tracking runners.
      I think he looks like a man who’s anxious about the defensive set up that he leads.

Teams have found that they can expose us with quick long passes behind the full backs and that their target men can ghost into the box unhindered, which is what happened yesterday with Kane/Son.

Apart from trying to keep a high line offside trap, We only seem to start thinking about defending when we’re turned to face our own goal. Virgil’s skillset isnt suited to that. 
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #1756: May 25, 2023 05:01:49 pm
      If our team (midfield and FBs) keeps on exposing our central defenders and leaving them isolated, Virgil will continue to look like he’s struggling. Konate has the pace to recover but Virgil seems to have lost his. Cheers Prickford.

Still cannot believe that tw*t didn’t even get booked for that potential career ending tackle on our man.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,326 posts | 1036 
      Reply #1757: Jun 15, 2023 07:53:17 am
      Looked all over the place again against Croatia. Not a good sign.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1758: Jun 15, 2023 12:14:43 pm
      Still cannot believe that tw*t didn’t even get booked for that potential career ending tackle on our man.

GBH mate should have been charged.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1759: Jun 15, 2023 12:16:09 pm

IMO its mostly down to burn out after the crazy almost quadrupole season then the xmas WC.

I'm very confident he will be back to his best this season, along with most of the senior players who lost form last season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1760: Jun 15, 2023 03:11:35 pm
      IMO its mostly down to burn out after the crazy almost quadrupole season then the xmas WC.

I'm very confident he will be back to his best this season, along with most of the senior players who lost form last season.

Burn out was a factor but also lots of mistakes were made by everyone top to bottom.

Signings, tactics, lineups etc etc.

I think lessons have been learned all round and the signs were there that Jürgen and the coaching team were getting to where we need.

Over to the recruitment team to back that up now.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,452 posts | 1735 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1761: Jun 15, 2023 04:24:41 pm
      Burn out was a factor but also lots of mistakes were made by everyone top to bottom.

Signings, tactics, lineups etc etc.

I think lessons have been learned all round and the signs were there that Jürgen and the coaching team were getting to where we need.

Over to the recruitment team to back that up now.

True, but Im happy to blame burn out and injuries above everything else.

Humans make mistakes everyday, such is life. ;)
      rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #1762: Jun 15, 2023 04:42:21 pm
      Will never be back to his Peak best I am afraid it is what it is
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1763: Jun 16, 2023 01:05:27 am
      Talk is we are looking for a Left footed CB.

If we get one, would VVD move across?

Would make sense for the new LB to play on the Left side, yeah?

Mmmmmmmm
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #1764: Jun 18, 2023 06:16:31 pm
      Watched the Dutch play. He looks so hesitant to close people out these days. Having a rough go this season. I wonder if it's that he needs a break or just physically isn't the same. Had a good 21/22 season after his injury, but has been poor this one.

We need CB competition
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1765: Jun 19, 2023 04:15:20 am
      Reading but haven't seen it, he cost them the 3rd goal with some atrocious defending.

rossyred

• 9,092 posts | 1632 
      Reply #1766: Jun 19, 2023 11:22:49 am
      Reading but haven't seen it, he cost them the 3rd goal with some atrocious defending.

Not sure atrocious but very similar to what has been observed this season too slow.to get across and then doesn't get close enough shows Chiesa onto his left and he scores .The problem with him his very rarely puts his body on the line to block it made zero attempt to.block.once.he was about to.shoot
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1767: Jun 19, 2023 01:35:07 pm

Just doesn’t close the player down.
      He positions himself to jostle but was to close to goal and should have closed the space.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #1768: Jun 19, 2023 01:48:54 pm
      In the game v Croatia koeman took Gakpo.off and stuck Virgil up front for about half an hour. Piss poor coach
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1769: Jun 19, 2023 02:35:59 pm
      Watched the Dutch play. He looks so hesitant to close people out these days. Having a rough go this season. I wonder if it's that he needs a break or just physically isn't the same. Had a good 21/22 season after his injury, but has been poor this one.

We need CB competition

He's mentally compensating for his fear of another physical injury like he had. Before his injury, he believed he was a colossus and nothing could hurt him. Now he knows exactly how long he could be out if he gets hurt so he's compensating by not being aggressive and not putting his body on the line. In my completely un-expert opinion, Virgil needs psychological help. Sports Psychology.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1770: Jun 19, 2023 03:03:47 pm
      I wouldn’t look too deep into his performances with Netherlands, most players probably want to be on the beach not some useless tournament.

Quick Reply