Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Daniel Sturridge (Southampton/Inter Milan/Sevilla)

Read 54237 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Daniel Sturridge (Southampton/Inter Milan/Sevilla)
      Dec 29, 2017 01:58:24 am
      Seems to be a potential sideline to the van Dijk deal.

It's no secret that Southampton's problem has been up front this season

Southampton are interested in recruiting Liverpool and England striker Daniel Sturridge on loan until the end of the season and are also ready to make an audacious bid for Fulham’s Ryan Sessegnon.

After selling Virgil van Dijk to Liverpool for £75 million on Wednesday, Southampton want to reinvest quickly and add quality to their squad, with the attacking positions and centre-back their two priorities.

A list of targets are being considered or actively worked upon and, with manager Mauricio Pellegrino desperate to add pace, power and goals to his team, one of the most intriguing names is Liverpool’s Sturridge.

His Liverpool contributions have been limited by persistent injury but, even when fully fit, the emergence this season of Jürgen Klopp’s ‘fab four’ of Mo Salah, Roberto Firmino, Philippe Coutinho and Sadio Mane has left him unlikely to start even when available.

Southampton have their own short-term problems in attack following Charlie Austin’s injury and, although they are also looking at permanent options, they would be very interested in taking a proven goalscorer like Sturridge on loan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/12/28/southampton-keen-daniel-sturridge-ready-make-audacious-move/
      « Last Edit: Jan 23, 2018 11:04:56 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Re: Daniel Sturridge (Southampton)
      Reply #1: Dec 29, 2017 02:39:49 am
      I would wave him goodbye. I’m sorry to say, I wish it was otherwise but he is a waste of space and has been for 3 years. In little spells like this when there are lots of games at once this is where we need him and just like last year and I’m sure the one before he has another silly injury that rules him out for weeks on end. I’d gladly move him on and bring Origi back
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #2: Dec 29, 2017 05:52:19 am
      I wouldn’t loan him... if someone wants him they buy him..
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #3: Dec 29, 2017 06:54:20 am

You are 100% correct about not loaning  him especially to Southampton after the big transfer fee they have just got from us.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #4: Dec 29, 2017 07:38:15 am
      Still love you Danny!!!
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #5: Dec 29, 2017 01:41:29 pm
      Can't see us loaning out Sturridge and Ings.
      molbys belly
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,537 posts | 123 
      Reply #6: Dec 29, 2017 01:43:46 pm
      He's so frustrating these days , no doubt he's still quality but .......
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #7: Dec 29, 2017 03:03:04 pm
      He's so frustrating these days , no doubt he's still quality but .......

It's a shame he hasn't adapted to Jurgens style of play. Sturridge likes to stay in and around the 18 yard box and if goes to another club who play this way and he stays fit I'm sure Sturridge will be banging in the goals again and that's the frustrating part of it, he's a quality forward.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #8: Dec 29, 2017 04:24:42 pm
      I'd loan him so he can't play against us. Best player on the pitch when he's fit.

If he's sold, 25m will be a minimum.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #9: Dec 29, 2017 05:18:09 pm
      Jürgen never seems to have been convinced by Danny so I won't be surprised when he eventually leaves.

I don't think Danny would take a permanent move to a club like Southampton but he might be tempted by a loan.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #10: Dec 29, 2017 05:21:49 pm
      Time for him and the club to move on, he's given us some great goals over the years but its just not quite working anymore.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11: Dec 29, 2017 05:29:06 pm
      Personally I’d keep him until the summer. If we have a good run in Europe, get a good FA Cup run going too, we can’t risk being short on players. I know he’s unreliable but he might be fit to play and have a good impact on some games, for all we know, he could play just 2 more times this season, but if they are in Europe or the cup then he does have the scoring ability to be what puts us through to the next round.

I’d let him go in the summer for sure but think we need to keep all the firepower we can, even if it’s just to kill games off and give Bobby bit of a rest.

Ings hasn’t been part of the team for so long now, if anyone is to go be then it has to be him IMO.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #12: Dec 29, 2017 05:29:30 pm
      Origi's not around, so if Firmino got injured, Danny and Ings could potentially be in line.
      Could just play Salah up top either.
      But for arguments sake, if it's between Danny and Ings, I'd keep Danny.
      And tbh if it's just a loan, don't see the point of it.
      We should've sold Danny in last summer, but that chance has passed, so imho would wait until next summer to move let him go.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #13: Dec 29, 2017 06:53:17 pm
      Personally I’d keep him until the summer. If we have a good run in Europe, get a good FA Cup run going too, we can’t risk being short on players. I know he’s unreliable but he might be fit to play and have a good impact on some games, for all we know, he could play just 2 more times this season, but if they are in Europe or the cup then he does have the scoring ability to be what puts us through to the next round.

I’d let him go in the summer for sure but think we need to keep all the firepower we can, even if it’s just to kill games off and give Bobby bit of a rest.

Ings hasn’t been part of the team for so long now, if anyone is to go be then it has to be him IMO.
      Have to agree, I think Ings needs to get his PL boots on before Liverpool boots. I would offer Ings on loan to Southampton. I would probably loan Sturridge if the player himself requested it though.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14: Dec 29, 2017 08:27:23 pm

Agree with this. Always been a fan of Sturridge but truth is we cannot rely on him and he probably wants to play more regularly as well.
      I'd love to see us sign a versatile forward who could play Firmino's more central role if necessary, so we don't have to rely on Solanke in case anything happens to Bobby (knocks wood). Danzel recently suggested Lozano could be that guy, as he's adept at playing on both wings but has also been used centrally. Would be an interesting option.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #15: Dec 29, 2017 08:50:18 pm
      Can't see us loaning out Sturridge and Ings.

That 100% won't happen without bringing somebody else in. Loaning those two out with no replacement leaves us with Firmino & Solanke, who hasn't scored a goal at this level.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #16: Dec 29, 2017 09:34:32 pm
      That 100% won't happen without bringing somebody else in. Loaning those two out with no replacement leaves us with Firmino & Solanke, who hasn't scored a goal at this level.

Solanke did score for us but the tw*t of a ref disallowed it.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #17: Dec 29, 2017 09:46:02 pm

Could always recall Origi....
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #18: Dec 29, 2017 09:49:52 pm

Not if there isn't an option to do so in the loan agreement.
      Kopite78
      Reply #19: Dec 29, 2017 10:24:37 pm
      Solanke did score for us but the tw*t of a ref disallowed it.

Because it was hand ball 🙄
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #20: Dec 30, 2017 01:15:58 am

Agreed. The current lack of a viable alternative to Firmino along with Sturridge's proven ability to score goals doesn't justify a loan deal.

Even if he only scores a few goals between now and the end of the season, it could be those goals that help us on our way in the cups or to a better position in the league and that's all it would take to make it worthwhile keeping him.

IMO that comfortably outweighs the few mill we'd get in a loan fee plus the possibility of more game time (if he's fit).
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #21: Dec 30, 2017 10:07:54 am
      We have spent for too long holding on to Danny Sturridge, and it as stopped Liverpool searching in earnest for a much needed replacement, and has kept us looking for mere stopgaps... Had a magic season along side Suarez, and a Good season after his departure, but has never reached those heights since... We held on to him far to long, should have sold him at least two seasons ago... Hope Liverpool and Southampton can agree a price that will see him out the door so we can get on to finding that replacement 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #22: Dec 30, 2017 12:11:48 pm
      Not yet.

Not in the business of loaning players that could help us for the sake of helping another team.

Put the money up or look to move him on next season.

Quick Reply