Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Leicester?

Loris Karius
      2 (1.8%)
      Dejan Lovren
      1 (0.9%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (3.5%)
      Joe Gomez
      3 (2.6%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (0.9%)
      Mohammed Salah
      98 (86%)
      Roberto Firmino
      5 (4.4%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 111

Voting closed: Jan 03, 2018 04:52:25 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Leicester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 23097 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Leicester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #437: Dec 30, 2017 07:59:00 pm
      I played this position once, so I know a bit about it (to fairness in a league that I don't think you can name since you might only be able to count to 10). Mig is better than Karius.

Mig is only 2nd choice because of Courtois who's top5 in the world. South American teams are "special" when it comes to goalies, so that argument is flushed down as well. And of course Belgium is a football nation, it's not San Marino or Switzerland.

You cannot relate to being a PL goalkeeper because you used to play in goals.

I can make a mean chilli con carne but that doesn't mean I know what Michel Roux is doing in the kitchen
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #438: Dec 30, 2017 08:07:49 pm
      Oh fantastic argument. If you play for Belgium, you're a top player (Belgium, that amazing football nation, because they're not as bad as San Marino).
      They got further in Euro 2016 than England did

Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,151 posts | 1090 
      Reply #439: Dec 30, 2017 08:12:47 pm
      Robbos play on Okazaki was BIG. He came from the other side of the pitch to cover Matips(?) mistake.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #440: Dec 30, 2017 08:16:29 pm

So what? So did Wales. I guess that makes Hennessey one of the best keepers in the world.

Mignolet is 2nd choice of a country with about 10m population. It's not as if they produce a huge amount of goalkeepers. Belgium have in their squad players from Celtic, Los Angeles FC, Anderlecht, Huddersfield, etc. Even Sels, who failed at Newcastle in the Championship, has been called up. They have a golden generation and a strong starting XI but they're not a huge country with lots of depth, so to claim that because you're in their squad, that automatically makes you a top player is just stupid.

And anyway he'll soon be 3rd choice if Casteels continues his good form in the Bundesliga.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #441: Dec 30, 2017 08:40:26 pm
      Mignolet is SECOND choice for... Belgium. "A football nation like Belgium", seriously?

If you play for Belgium, you're a top player (Belgium, that amazing football nation ...

A player's nationality has no bearing on how good he is. I was responding to your disparaging comments about Belgium and pointing out that they are a much better side than you seem to realise.

redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #442: Dec 30, 2017 08:43:36 pm
      Whichever way we look at the goal conceded. It has to be Matip's mistake. Not once but twice. Misplaced pass and never tracked back fast enough to cover but tailing behind Vardy to allow a tap-in is inexcusable. What's happening to him lately anyway. Why does he looked so sluggish??? Is it because of complacency, uninterested, slow off the block or simply not good enough. I'm impressed with Robbo's workrate against Matip. One running around the pitch like a man possessed while the other is strolling.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,601 posts | 3841 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #443: Dec 30, 2017 08:46:20 pm
      Great character (TM TPM) to fight back and win that.
      Could have been 4 or 5 - 1 even.

Hope Salah's knock isn't too bad as he the player of the season for us.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #444: Dec 30, 2017 08:49:13 pm
      A player's nationality has no bearing on how good he is. I was responding to your disparaging comments about Belgium and pointing out that they are a much better side than you seem to realise.

I never once said Belgium do not have a good side (in fact I'm pretty sure I just said they have a golden generation), though I think that if you wanted to point out that they are, there were more sensible ways of doing so than mentioning they went further than England in a competition where they were knocked out by Wales (!)

What I was doing was questioning the ridiculous logic that if you make the squad of a country like Belgium, then it automatically makes you one of the world's best. It was only in that regard that I pointed out that Belgium, a country with a good team that has never won anything, ever, isn't even one of the world's best football nations, highlighting how ridiculously flawed the logic is. Even being first choice for Brazil, that decent team with a few more trophies and a tad bit more tradition than Belgium, doesn't make you a top player, so being second for Belgium... really...
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #445: Dec 30, 2017 08:57:36 pm
      Special praise for Joe Gomez.
      Thought he was very very good today.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #446: Dec 30, 2017 09:04:23 pm
      isn't even one of the world's best football nations,

Brazil, that decent team with a few more trophies and a tad bit more tradition than Belgium

Belgium have as much 'tradition' as any other football nation ... your comments about them are incredibly disparaging and are actually quite ignorant of some pretty basic facts.
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #447: Dec 30, 2017 09:06:16 pm
      Special praise for Joe Gomez.
      Thought he was very very good today.

Hear, hear ... he is definitely showing a lot of promise.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6365 
      Reply #448: Dec 30, 2017 09:10:33 pm
      One more thing on today's game. Hats off to the crowd today. I had goosebumps for about half an hour listening to the Kop in full voice. More of that during the next home game, please!

Crowd sounded strong on my broadcast as well, much better than last game.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #449: Dec 30, 2017 09:12:29 pm
      Belgium have as much 'tradition' as any other football nation ... your comments about them are incredibly disparaging and are actually quite ignorant of some pretty basic facts.

Err... such as?
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #450: Dec 30, 2017 09:15:45 pm

Google is your friend :)
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #451: Dec 30, 2017 09:19:38 pm

Oh how mature. I was curious about that strange remark that apparently all nations have equal tradition in football. I'll google that.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #452: Dec 30, 2017 09:23:23 pm
      That was a good come back today,Salah has been fantastic since arriving the Arab Suarez he is lets hope he stays around awhile.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #453: Dec 30, 2017 09:23:29 pm
      We have a bloody good squad here, without mentioning the obvious genius (s) upfront. We can only get stronger. This year might not be ours but it will come . :-)
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #454: Dec 30, 2017 09:23:36 pm
      Shall we uh, keep this on-topic about the match instead of turning this into a pissing contest, lads?

Sound.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #455: Dec 30, 2017 09:38:04 pm
      Why the Hell is everyone arguing so much???

We just won a taut, arm wrestle with a stubborn and niggly opposition who have become a bit of a thorn in our side recently.
      It was a great fight back and exactly the nerve we have to show when things don’t go our way.

Now to back it up very soon against Burnley. A massive match and a very crucial 3 pts which will get our momentum ticking along nicely to cement ourselves near the top.

Enjoy the win guys cos it definitely wasn’t easy.
      « Last Edit: Dec 31, 2017 02:27:20 am by RedStorm »
      MsGerrard
      Reply #456: Dec 30, 2017 09:49:19 pm
      Back from the match and phew, breathed a sigh of relief at the final whistle....that was a hard tough blood and thunder game, we looked a bit sluggish in the first half, and didn't get going at all and then 'Wham' we were knocked for 6 with steptoe's goal, we upped our game and could easily have scored a couple in that first half as we got closer and closer....a couple of magic goals from Salah sealed it for the Reds, but they could easily have scored a equaliser and it could have been the one point rather than the three we deserved....one point I will make is the blatant time wasting they did throughout the game even when they were winning, well I'm happy to say it did you no favours at all....Karma is a wonderful thing !!!

Well done Reds and onto Burnley, who will be a harder test, but we need these hard games to prove just how far we've come under Jürgen, onwards and upwards Redmen  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
      ed603em
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 731 posts | 112 
      Reply #457: Dec 30, 2017 09:49:34 pm
      Oh how mature. I was curious about that strange remark that apparently all nations have equal tradition in football. I'll google that.

What I said was that they have as much tradition as any other footballing nation and they comfortably do. Belgium were co-founders of FIFA, started playing football years before Brazil did, Belgium won the Gold medal for football at the 1920 Olympic Games, they've qualified for the World Cup twelve times (England have qualified fifteen), narrowly lost in the final of the 1980 European Championships and made the Semi-Final of the 1986 World Cup. Belgium were one of the first countries in mainland Europe to start playing Association Football and have produced some world-class players over the years - Jan Ceulemans and Enzo Scifo are the two I personally remember but there are others.

Apologies for the thread drift ... there'll be nothing more from me on this thread.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #458: Dec 30, 2017 09:56:12 pm
      What I said was that they have as much tradition as any other footballing nation and they comfortably do. Belgium were co-founders of FIFA, started playing football years before Brazil did, Belgium won the Gold medal for football at the 1920 Olympic Games, they've qualified for the World Cup twelve times (England have qualified fifteen), narrowly lost in the final of the 1980 European Championships and made the Semi-Final of the 1986 World Cup. Belgium were one of the first countries in mainland Europe to start playing Association Football and have produced some world-class players over the years - Jan Ceulemans and Enzo Scifo are the two I personally remember but there are others.

Apologies for the thread drift ... there'll be nothing more from me on this thread.

I obviously meant a winning tradition, so we took different definitions. In terms of the history of the game, Scotland are even more traditional than Belgium but still I wouldn't take them as a giant of the game. Still, it's a matter of perspective. Compared to Brazil, Germany, Italy, etc, they're hardly a great nation either. And being a relatively small country, making their squad is hardly proof of greatness. Which was the whole point.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #459: Dec 30, 2017 10:08:02 pm
      You cannot relate to being a PL goalkeeper because you used to play in goals.

I can make a mean chilli con carne but that doesn't mean I know what Michel Roux is doing in the kitchen

Can this Roux fellow keep possession better than Emre Can?

Quick Reply