Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

The goalkeeper situation

Read 20701 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,053 posts | 2744 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: The goalkeeper situation
      Reply #161: Jan 16, 2018 07:05:09 pm
      So Mignolet says to Klopp that rotation is not a healthy situation for a goalkeeper and Klopp now seemingly has opted to put faith in Karius as his no1. What’s the problem?

Seems to me like Simon’s comments have backfired on him.

I agree with Migs. A keeper needs to know hes getting a fair run of games. Weve been here before Karius doing the hokey cokey in for 3 games out for 5 while migs vomes back.

No good for either but neither are good enough. Karius first shot saved ratio must be the worst ever. Id rather Klopp binned both and signed a top keeper or give Ward the rest of the season
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #162: Jan 16, 2018 07:15:08 pm
      I agree with Migs. A keeper needs to know hes getting a fair run of games. Weve been here before Karius doing the hokey cokey in for 3 games out for 5 while migs vomes back.

No good for either but neither are good enough. Karius first shot saved ratio must be the worst ever. Id rather Klopp binned both and signed a top keeper or give Ward the rest of the season

I feel the exact same too, Ward deserves a go at it, he's definitely not worse than them both.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #163: Jan 16, 2018 07:16:23 pm

The problem is this. Mignolet has conceded 232 goals in 201 appearances for the club. He's proven time and again that he's a liability. Karius has conceded 27 goals in 27 appearances, which suggests neither are fit to wear the shirt, however his 27 appearances have been inconsistent and he's never really had a long run, so has never proven himself able to get past his initial mistakes. Personally I don't think he's good enough to be the number one, but on the balance of what we have at our disposal, he's the better of a bad duo.
      Kopite78
      Reply #164: Jan 16, 2018 07:18:03 pm
      I feel the exact same too, Ward deserves a go at it, he's definitely not worse than them both.

How do you know?

Personally I trust the manager's judgement... the manager who sees him everyday in training than guess myself
      Compuche
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 547 posts | 39 
      Reply #165: Jan 16, 2018 07:18:39 pm
      Keep Karius as  no 2... lad look like he'll improve. Sell Migs and buy Oblak as no 1.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,380 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #166: Jan 16, 2018 07:29:11 pm
      Hear we are going to get fatty foulkes in as our new number one
      FRANS
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 551 posts | 19 
      Reply #167: Jan 16, 2018 07:38:10 pm
      I put all the blame on Klop  he got  it wrong  when he bought  Karius.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #168: Jan 16, 2018 09:19:17 pm

Thanks for your input, amazing analysis and insight; the effort you put into this post reflects well upon you and shows your commitment for constructive dialog and debate here on the board.

Spacebar does seem to be your friend...continue to use it, it will serve you well in life as it has in your .2022 post per day on LFCReds over the past 8 years.

Well in!
      « Last Edit: Jan 16, 2018 09:26:02 pm by AZPatriot »
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #169: Jan 16, 2018 09:39:45 pm
      This is so bad. Just imagine where we'd be with a good 'keeper.

https://twitter.com/arturpetrosyan/status/953207640309600256

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,479 posts | 1640 
      • YNWA
      Reply #170: Jan 16, 2018 09:42:51 pm

But what hair, the Nivea guys must be dying to get an ad made.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #171: Jan 16, 2018 09:43:06 pm

Don't disagree pup...but that is a damn small sample size on Karius.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #172: Jan 16, 2018 09:49:56 pm

Are we seriously going back to the saves / goals ratio? The worst stat to judge a goalkeeper on? It does not include quality of shots faced. He has conceded 4. Please do tell me for which of the four he conceded he should have done better.

The Vardy one? The GĂźndogan one? Silva perhaps? All were 200% chances put on a plate for those players by our defenders. Nothing he could have done, all three were unsaveable.

The only one he should have done better with is Sane's goal.

That statistic shows nothing new, we concede very, very few shots on target but when we do, they're 100% chances.

F***ing sh*te statistic to judge a goalkeeper on because going on that statistic, Pope is one of the best goalkeepers of the world and he's bang average.

And that too. He has played 4 league games for god's sake.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #173: Jan 16, 2018 09:51:12 pm

True, but 3 shots saved in 4 games. So many questions, 7 shots on target then in those games.

Time will tell, but that is still shitty stats.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #174: Jan 16, 2018 09:53:52 pm
      True, but 3 shots saved in 4 games. So many questions, 7 shots on target then in those games.

Look at it in a different way then. We defend brilliantly for the vast majority of the time and teams don't get shots against us.

7 shots,  4 goals, 3 of which he couldn't have saved. He saved 3 out of 4 he could have saved, that's 75%. You can do whatever you want with statistics and how you look at them. That statistic is completely useless (and so is mine here, just to show that you can make up any statistic to prove a point).
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #175: Jan 16, 2018 09:54:10 pm

Those stats are are based on small number of games but I doubt including his other games from last season improve them by much.  :(

Seems like it may be a make or break next 4 months for his career at LFC.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #176: Jan 16, 2018 09:54:26 pm

Are we seriously going back to the saves / goals ratio? The worst stat to judge a goalkeeper on? It does not include quality of shots faced. He has conceded 4. Please do tell me for which of the four he conceded he should have done better.

The Vardy one? The GĂźndogan one? Silva perhaps? All were 200% chances put on a plate for those players by our defenders. Nothing he could have done, all three were unsaveable.

The only one he should have done better with is Sane's goal.

That statistic shows nothing new, we concede very, very few shots on target but when we do, they're 100% chances.

F***ing sh*te statistic to judge a goalkeeper on because going on that statistic, Pope is one of the best goalkeepers of the world and he's bang average.

And that too. He has played 4 league games for god's sake.

200%? Is that another "sh*te statistic"? :couch:
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,380 posts | 3387 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #177: Jan 16, 2018 10:00:00 pm
      200%? Is that another "sh*te statistic"? :couch:

101% of statistics are probably made up
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #178: Jan 16, 2018 10:00:37 pm

No problem with you hopping off on the manager for “shits and giggles”, per se.......

But Jesus sufferin’ f**k - could you put the turpentine down long enough to spell his f***in’ name right?  :mad:

“Klopp”

PS: remember to stay away from a naked flame 🔥
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #179: Jan 16, 2018 10:14:02 pm
      Nah, for me its Migs inability to keep balls out of our fookin net

The only stat that counts.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,067 posts | 8510 
      Reply #180: Jan 16, 2018 11:02:04 pm
      You heard it here first, Billy The Fish will be our new number 1 8)

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #181: Jan 16, 2018 11:07:14 pm
      You heard it here first, Billy The Fish will be our new number 1 8)

Make a change from Terry Fuckwit.......

Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #182: Jan 16, 2018 11:10:38 pm

Black = goal from open play (7)
      Yellow = goal from second ball (Sevilla's 3rd) (1)
      Red = goal from setpiece (1 free kick, 1 penalty, 1 header (Sevilla's 2nd)) (3)

I put together a little map with the positions from which Karius has conceded goals this season.

If you look at that map, what would you say is the main issue? The goalkeeper? The position from which our defence allows opposition players to get shots away? Overall defending?

Look from how close the vast majority of the goals he conceeds are, within 10 yards, all very central (bar Sane's goal) and half of them around the 6 yard box.

Looking back at the 11 goals he has conceded so far this season, he should have done better for two: Spartak's free kick and Sane's goal. The rest of them were clean strikes or (virtually) unsaveable because of bad defending (Think Vardy's goal, Silva's, GĂźndogan's, Ben Yedder's, ...).

Currently his numbers don't look good, but please look past the numbers that are used to describe how good or bad a goalkeeper supposedly is.

This is not to prove that Karius is a brilliant goalkeeper, but that there are other issues (defensively and in midfield) than our goalkeepers (that includes Mignolet).
      « Last Edit: Jan 16, 2018 11:16:57 pm by Danzel »
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #183: Jan 17, 2018 12:04:54 am
      How do you know?

Personally I trust the manager's judgement... the manager who sees him everyday in training than guess myself

How do i know that Ward is not worse than The two amigos, well  they're probably as bad as we can get in all honesty. It's hard to pick a decent game they've had so yes give Ward a shot if we're not going to buy a decent keeper.

Quick Reply