Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

The goalkeeper situation

Read 20573 times
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Re: The goalkeeper situation
      Reply #115: Jan 15, 2018 01:44:41 pm
      You obviously have not seen much of Forster.
      He is hardly an upgrade on what we have.

To assume makes an ass out of u and me.

I wouldn't have seen every game his ever played no but i have seen enough of him to know he is definitely an upgrade on what we have, big shot stopper commands his box well, might not be Ederson with his feet but can lump a ball a lot further than dumb or dumber.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #116: Jan 15, 2018 01:46:38 pm
      Corrigan was our GK coach  for 10 years until Rafa arrived .
      i know mate; I was a fan of Corrigan when I was a kid.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #117: Jan 15, 2018 01:51:23 pm
      We simply cant afford to get the next GK wrong.

If it means we wait a bit longer to get the right man, one for the next 5-10 years then we have to do so.
      cocker the red
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 127 posts | 10 
      Reply #118: Jan 15, 2018 09:49:06 pm
      Meet Jan oblaks buy out clause and we're sorted :scarf:
      leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #119: Jan 15, 2018 10:33:47 pm
      For what I’ve seen of both, I’d rather go with Alison from Roma, that way Bobby can get a new mate too, two birds one shot ;)

Also that kid from Athetic, Kepa, looks promising.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #120: Jan 15, 2018 10:47:47 pm
      For what I’ve seen of both, I’d rather go with Alison from Roma, that way Bobby can get a new mate too, two birds one shot ;)

Also that kid from Athetic, Kepa, looks promising.

His name is a good start.....
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #121: Jan 16, 2018 12:26:48 am
      Mignolet considering his future is the news that's breaking.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #122: Jan 16, 2018 12:36:22 am
      Mignolet considering his future is the news that's breaking.

That almost sounds like he knows someone is going in, be it this window or next.
      newguy
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 178 posts |
      Reply #123: Jan 16, 2018 12:39:00 am
      Mignolet's time should've been over a long time ago, his only saving grace is he is a good penalty stopper, and some good form in intermitent batches, but that's it. Karius should be given a run of games, maybe he can prove to us he is alright after all. In the summer sell Mignolet, and buy a keeper, regardless of Karius prior form.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #124: Jan 16, 2018 01:40:06 am
      At last the penny has dropped and Migs joke of  goalkeeping will be hopefully be embarrassing another club into this year and not us.
      The final remedy to another Rodger's f**k up getting shot of Pepe and hailing Mignolet as "one of the top goalkeepers in the Premier League."
      Even half way into the season Mignolet has dropped 4 to 6 points for us already.

More confident with Karius in goal but he was plainly at fault in respect of his positioning for City's first goal.

Would love to think Jürgen will bring a GK in but I have a feeling that he will see out the second half of the season rotating Karius and Ward.
      Why did he bring Ward back from loan if he isn't playing him ?
      « Last Edit: Jan 16, 2018 01:44:59 am by MIRO »
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #125: Jan 16, 2018 02:15:40 am
      For me it is Mignolet's inability to command his box that should be his ultimate downfall. He strikes no fear into the opposition and I'm sure an unbiased model would show half of the goals we concede late are from crosses or lobs into the box that a keeper should claim 99.9% of the time. Let alone we need more of sweeper keeper, and I would trust Jimmy Traore to do this better than Migs, and Jimmy ' just can't control his feet'.

Models about shots form positions that should be saved tell us something. However, I think penetrating Man Utd's defence which is 4 feet from goal, or Bayern's defence probably means the personnel doing it is under more pressure, or is probably not the well marshalled striker but a midfielder etc. so there may be a big chunk of analysis missing. However, good post.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #126: Jan 16, 2018 07:29:50 am
      He is even deluded enough to believe his performances don't merit him being dropped!

https://twitter.com/anfieldhq/status/953059345587163136
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #127: Jan 16, 2018 07:56:41 am
      For me it is Mignolet's inability to command his box that should be his ultimate downfall. He strikes no fear into the opposition and I'm sure an unbiased model would show half of the goals we concede late are from crosses or lobs into the box that a keeper should claim 99.9% of the time. Let alone we need more of sweeper keeper, and I would trust Jimmy Traore to do this better than Migs, and Jimmy ' just can't control his feet'.

Models about shots form positions that should be saved tell us something. However, I think penetrating Man Utd's defence which is 4 feet from goal, or Bayern's defence probably means the personnel doing it is under more pressure, or is probably not the well marshalled striker but a midfielder etc. so there may be a big chunk of analysis missing. However, good post.

Nah, for me its Migs inability to keep balls out of our fookin net, his inability to command his area, his ability to let hinself get bullied of the ball to easily,  in layman's terms he's colloquially known as "A Big Girls Blouse"

I sincerely hope he is considering his future because quite frankly it won't be at Anfield, he should do the honourable thing and admit that Liverpool FC are a bridge too far and should seek a club more suited to his mediocrity,
      A club say like Sunderland ironically,

Bye Simon thanks for coming !!

YNWA
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #128: Jan 16, 2018 08:35:50 am
      He is even deluded enough to believe his performances don't merit him being dropped!

https://twitter.com/anfieldhq/status/953059345587163136
      I'm sure England would like him in goal in the summer, he's no chance really.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #129: Jan 16, 2018 08:39:44 am
      Hopefully Mignolet talking about his unhappyness at not being picked to the press is his Sakho moment.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #130: Jan 16, 2018 09:09:36 am
      Speaking to Belgian outlet Sporza, Mignolet explained, "10 days ago, after the game against Burnley, I had a conversation with Klopp. In the Christmas period we had rotated again and I felt that that was not a healthy situation and is for a keeper."

The 29-year-old then said that he was then told he would not play against City, with the situation clarified to him by Klopp both before and after the game.

"Of course I'm not happy with that, but no heavy words have come afterwards," Mignolet said.

"Klopp told me that honestly in that conversation, of course I am not satisfied with that, but I always have to respect the manager's decision. After everything that has happened this season, I know where I stand. and the situation has become clearer."

"I always try to stay calm and calm, and I have already grown stronger from such situations," he said.

"But of course I also have to think about my own future, the only thing I can do is focus on the training and do my best, I'm 30 years old (in March) and the World Cup is coming in. This situation cannot last too long, that's clear. I cannot say more about it."
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #131: Jan 16, 2018 09:25:35 am
      If we want EPL title in near future, we need top GK and for me n1 is Oblak. He is one of the top GK in world.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #132: Jan 16, 2018 09:35:00 am
      If we want EPL title in near future, we need top GK and for me n1 is Oblak. He is one of the top GK in world.

No.1 is De gea, by a country mile as a stopper.

Oblak is the man on the rise though and getting him now would be a huge step.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #133: Jan 16, 2018 09:51:37 am
      n1 for lfc target :) agree De Gea is maybe better, but Oblak not far away and 2 year younger.
      Cad1875
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 633 posts | 59 
      Reply #134: Jan 16, 2018 10:01:38 am
      I think everybody has made up their minds one way or the other question is should Ward be given the gloves at some point  to find out if he has the minerals  if not its 3 keepers we need .Has Klopp ever made a statement regarding Danny as our No1 or has it always been Mignolet and Karius
      Kopite78
      Reply #135: Jan 16, 2018 10:31:04 am
      No.1 is De gea, by a country mile as a stopper.

Oblak is the man on the rise though and getting him now would be a huge step.

Talk is Oblak has a 100m release fee

I just can't see any situation where that is sanctioned by the club
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #136: Jan 16, 2018 10:46:28 am
      Talk is Oblak has a 100m release fee

I just can't see any situation where that is sanctioned by the club

I try not to get obsessed with price but that is a huge chunk of change.

As long as the boss gets to say yes or no I’m happy.
      Kopite78
      Reply #137: Jan 16, 2018 10:47:52 am
      I try not to get obsessed with price but that is a huge chunk of change.

As long as the boss gets to say yes or no I’m happy.

Oh I'm absolutely on board with that, whoever the manager wants gets my backing.

I just can't see us paying that much for a keeper.

Quick Reply