Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

The goalkeeper situation

Read 20909 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Re: The goalkeeper situation
      Reply #138: Jan 16, 2018 10:49:43 am
      Oh I'm absolutely on board with that, whoever the manager wants gets my backing.

I just can't see us paying that much for a keeper.

I get ya. Probably right Iā€™m just hoping VVD marked a change of direction and leaving it in hands of JĆ¼rgen.....

Time will tell mate.
      Kopite78
      Reply #139: Jan 16, 2018 10:51:53 am
      I get ya. Probably right Iā€™m just hoping VVD marked a change of direction and leaving it in hands of JĆ¼rgen.....

Time will tell mate.

I think it has, not just on vvd, I think the manager gets the final say on transfers since he has been here. But he still has budgets to work to unlike some of our rivals.

If it's in his budget overall and he wants him I think he gets final say. But I just can't see a world where we pay as a club whoever is deciding that much for a keeper.

It's different vvd to an extent. The 75m we paid for him is dependent on certain clauses being met, we haven't paid all up front.
      Whereas with a buy out it's none negotiable. You may still not have to pay all up front (even though Barca insisted psg did with neymar) you have to pay it
      100m for a keeper seems a bit rich for our blood I think
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #140: Jan 16, 2018 10:54:07 am
      I think it has, not just on vvd, I think the manager gets the final say on transfers since he has been here. But he still has budgets to work to unlike some of our rivals.

If it's in his budget overall and he wants him I think he gets final say. But I just can't see a world where we pay as a club whoever is deciding that much for a keeper.

Must admit there is a bit of me - the old fashioned bit - that does think ā€œthatā€™s two proper playersā€ meaning outfield but I recognise at top end itā€™s points of a difference.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #141: Jan 16, 2018 10:54:13 am
      Mignolet is a drama queen.

Drop him in one game and he's got a face on him, tell him another keeper is deservedly receiving their chance above him he throws his toys out of the pram.

I would sell him as early as the summer. The only reason I believe he has kept his place above Loris is because he throws a wobbler and Klopp doesn't want to disrupt the harmony within the squad.

Ward also deserves his chance too, otherwise I feel we will lose a keeper with much more potential than Mignolet. It's clear within 4 years that he has been here he is not going to improve. And as far as the world cup comments go, is he fearing he won't make the bench?!?   :roll:

When the summer comes around I expect big changes to be made, Oblak may be pursued, or Bobby's mate Allison. Either or really, I think the goalkeeping situation only gets better with Simon out of the starting XI.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #142: Jan 16, 2018 11:43:45 am

It's different vvd to an extent. The 75m we paid for him is dependent on certain clauses being met, we haven't paid all up front.
      Whereas with a buy out it's none negotiable. You may still not have to pay all up front (even though Barca insisted psg did with neymar) you have to pay it
      100m for a keeper seems a bit rich for our blood I think

No chance in hell would FSG sanction paying Ā£100m for a keeper...not even if it were  de Gea...
      Oblak would of course be ideal but there are others out there who would be more than a step up on our current under achievers, like Butland, for example, not saying he's the be all end all but a very decent keeper who would tick a box or two and  be much cheaper obviously.

YNWA
      Kopite78
      Reply #143: Jan 16, 2018 12:02:22 pm

No chance in hell would FSG sanction paying Ā£100m for a keeper...not even if it were  de Gea...
      Oblak would of course be ideal but there are others out there who would be more than a step up on our current under achievers, like Butland, for example, not saying he's the be all end all but a very decent keeper who would tick a box or two and  be much cheaper obviously.

YNWA

Butland is a side step, maybe 5% better than what we have

I want us to get a new keeper but let's not get it wrong again and Butland and Forster are ultimately sh*te

It's easy watching match of the day highlights (not saying you..  just generally and the press who want to push a narative) but I guarantee you if we signed either of those we are having the same conversations we have about Mignolet and Karius in 12 months

« Last Edit: Jan 16, 2018 12:06:32 pm by Kopite78 »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #144: Jan 16, 2018 12:05:47 pm
      WAIT A SECOND.

He mentioned the World Cup...

Has he forgotten Courtois is Belgian?

EDIT: Also Butland has been horrific this season from what I've seen.
      Kopite78
      Reply #145: Jan 16, 2018 12:08:17 pm
      WAIT A SECOND.

He mentioned the World Cup...

Has he forgotten Courtois is Belgian?

EDIT: Also Butland has been horrific this season from what I've seen.

He's also talking about being 30 when hes 29

😦
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #146: Jan 16, 2018 12:09:54 pm
      He's also talking about being 30 when hes 29

😦

Simple Simon.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,337 posts | 6386 
      Reply #147: Jan 16, 2018 01:36:29 pm
      Chitter chatter is that we have our eyes on Allison.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #148: Jan 16, 2018 02:24:09 pm
      That almost sounds like he knows someone is going in, be it this windowor next.

Fixed it for you.

No point next window . Got to grab Allison this window
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #149: Jan 16, 2018 02:51:01 pm
      Question :

If we brought in a new goalkeeper this window would he qualify to play in the current CL campaign or not?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      Reply #150: Jan 16, 2018 02:54:55 pm
      Question :

If we brought in a new goalkeeper this window would he qualify to play in the current CL campaign or not?

Depends where we get him from Skip, as I'm sure you know already, say it was Butland then he could play, if Oblak came in then it's no he'd be cup tied !

YNWA
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #151: Jan 16, 2018 02:55:03 pm
      Question :

Depends if he has already played in CL.

But I doubt we will be bringing in a new keeper this window.
      Seems to me that Karius is being given a chance to show he is up to the job.

He will need to perform better than the last opportunity he was given.

leosc
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,011 posts | 273 
      • Poetry in motion!
      Reply #152: Jan 16, 2018 02:56:42 pm
      Question :

If its Alison no, and it also depends on how many new payers come. UEFA allows for three new player to be included in the CL for the next round, one of the sports its going to be taken by VVD. Also, not sure if we're going to include Clyne, that depends on his recovery. So that sould leave us with one spot left.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5004 
      Reply #153: Jan 16, 2018 02:58:21 pm

I want us to get a new keeper but let's not get it wrong again and Butland and Forster are ultimately sh*te

It's easy watching match of the day highlights (not saying you..  just generally and the press who want to push a narative) but I guarantee you if we signed either of those we are having the same conversations we have about Mignolet and Karius in 12 months

If that was the case then who would you target, and at how much would you consider a reasonable price ??

YNWA
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #154: Jan 16, 2018 03:00:46 pm
      Speaking to Belgian outlet Sporza, Mignolet explained, "10 days ago, after the game against Burnley, I had a conversation with Klopp. In the Christmas period we had rotated again and I felt that that was not a healthy situation and is for a keeper."

The 29-year-old then said that he was then told he would not play against City, with the situation clarified to him by Klopp both before and after the game.

"Of course I'm not happy with that, but no heavy words have come afterwards," Mignolet said.

"Klopp told me that honestly in that conversation, of course I am not satisfied with that, but I always have to respect the manager's decision. After everything that has happened this season, I know where I stand. and the situation has become clearer."

"I always try to stay calm and calm, and I have already grown stronger from such situations," he said.

"But of course I also have to think about my own future, the only thing I can do is focus on the training and do my best, I'm 30 years old (in March) and the World Cup is coming in. This situation cannot last too long, that's clear. I cannot say more about it."

Unbelievable. Dropped from the side and now he's throwing out the 'I'm considering my future' and then undermining the manager by questioning his decision making. Even more of an insult when it comes just two days after a morale boosting and inspiring victory for the whole club and the supporters to enjoy. His form for much of the past 4 years has been a right kick in the balls but the lack of self awareness and touchy petulance just rubs it in.

If it fast tracks his exit out of this club then I suppose we can't complain.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #155: Jan 16, 2018 03:04:00 pm
      To assume makes an ass out of u and me.

I wouldn't have seen every game his ever played no but i have seen enough of him to know he is definitely an upgrade on what we have, big shot stopper commands his box well, might not be Ederson with his feet but can lump a ball a lot further than dumb or dumber.

He's gone backwards massively this season. Butland seems to have stalled after those bad injuries as well - although Stoke are so sh*te I don't think there's much he can do about most of the goals he's conceding.

Oblak would be the one for me. Probably 2nd best in the world after De Gea. Don't see us forking out 70-80m+ for him though.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #156: Jan 16, 2018 03:33:59 pm

Mignolet ...

Agreed.

Thanks for all the replies on the CL qualification question .
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #157: Jan 16, 2018 03:50:32 pm

Agree.

We have to get this one right and if it takes us to spend big then that's what should be happening.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #158: Jan 16, 2018 05:15:53 pm
      Mignolets comments are unbelievable. Shows a complete lack of self awareness.

Get rid of the clown.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #159: Jan 16, 2018 05:35:21 pm
      Unbelievable. Dropped from the side and now he's throwing out the 'I'm considering my future' and then undermining the manager by questioning his decision making. Even more of an insult when it comes just two days after a morale boosting and inspiring victory for the whole club and the supporters to enjoy. His form for much of the past 4 years has been a right kick in the balls but the lack of self awareness and touchy petulance just rubs it in.

Please Simon, by all means please consider your future away from this club.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #160: Jan 16, 2018 06:21:25 pm
      So Mignolet says to Klopp that rotation is not a healthy situation for a goalkeeper and Klopp now seemingly has opted to put faith in Karius as his no1. Whatā€™s the problem?

Seems to me like Simonā€™s comments have backfired on him.

Quick Reply