Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Everton?

Loris Karius
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (0.7%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      74 (52.9%)
      Andy Robertson
      58 (41.4%)
      Emre Can
      1 (0.7%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      4 (2.9%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      2 (1.4%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Voting closed: Jan 09, 2018 09:56:41 pm

Liverpool 2-1 Everton: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30860 times
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Re: Liverpool 2-1 Everton: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #644: Jan 05, 2018 10:37:32 pm

Had to have been a closet Juve fan.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #645: Jan 05, 2018 10:37:53 pm
      you must know them all then.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #646: Jan 05, 2018 10:39:33 pm
      1) Just before you shoot you look up and see where the goalie intends to go. Messi or Müller do it, pretty safe if you can do it.
      May be wrong but does Messi not have a fairly average (if not below average) return from the penalty spot?
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #647: Jan 05, 2018 10:40:14 pm

I know ye all.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #648: Jan 05, 2018 10:41:08 pm
      Sure and it went all good this time, but would you trust him in a CL clash with Barca, 90th min., we need to score, penalty, Milner? I would not after what I've seen...and it's not just this penalty. I'd love to ask Klopp about that, but those journalists won't, they'll be all hyped about VVD.

There are two kinds of approaches to a penalty:

1) Just before you shoot you look up and see where the goalie intends to go. Messi or Müller do it, pretty safe if you can do it.
      2) You just choose where you wanna kick, run and kick not looking at the goalie. Easier. In that case you better shoot so that even if the goalie has the right smell the ball has a good chance to get in. Kicking right in the middle is kind of a bluff, but you can do it, but not like Milner kind of left-middled. Worst choice, because IF the goalie has the right side he will stop the ball no matter what.
      I thought the same about Milners penalty the first time, look at the replay again. Their keeper, Pickle or whatever his name is, was rolling around in the floor and Milner took the safest option.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #649: Jan 05, 2018 10:42:26 pm
      Gave my mom to Robertson. It’s easy to say vvd but I thought he was solid all night and certainly got stuck in
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #650: Jan 05, 2018 10:42:55 pm
      Sure and it went all good this time, but would you trust him in a CL clash with Barca, 90th min., we need to score, penalty, Milner? I would not after what I've seen...and it's not just this penalty. I'd love to ask Klopp about that, but those journalists won't, they'll be all hyped about VVD.

There are two kinds of approaches to a penalty:

2) You just choose where you wanna kick, run and kick not looking at the goalie. Easier. In that case you better shoot so that even if the goalie has the right smell the ball has a good chance to get in. Kicking right in the middle is kind of a bluff, but you can do it, but not like Milner kind of left-middled. Worst choice, because IF the goalie has the right side he will stop the ball no matter what.

Explain all his penno's he's scored then.
      beardo number 7
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 343 posts | 96 
      Reply #651: Jan 05, 2018 10:44:21 pm
      O and Phillippe who?
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #652: Jan 05, 2018 10:44:24 pm
      Odd performance, we just about deserved it. Alex tries his heart out,box to box but just lacks a bit of quality, but put in some quality balls tho. But VVD looks like he means it when he goes up, could've had two goals as well.Cool at the back, didn't try to do much on the ball but still finding his feet.

Fine game by Robbo. Up against the pace of Bolasie, but saw him off, always available and doesn't give away possession. Mane looks better when he holds his position, he was all over the place in the first half. Not bad in the second half.

We really needed someone to try and control it from 10-20 yards from the half way line. Milner supporting Robbo, Can did ok but he doesn't influence it enough.Just lacked a bit of authority on the ball, all a bit rushed at times.

If we lose Coutinho....Lallana or Alex will have to have a great second half of the season as will Mane and obviously Salah.Slightly worried tho.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #653: Jan 05, 2018 10:45:09 pm
      Their keeper, Pickle or whatever his name is, was rolling around in the floor and Milner took the safest option.
        Quote and Reply

Or was it fickle like yourself.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #654: Jan 05, 2018 10:45:42 pm
      Watched the replay, getting worried that Karius did not even attempt to dive to save. Stood there bolted onto the ground. Poor anticipation and no attempt made to prevent the goal.

Look at it again mate, he takes a little step to the right I think and completely wrong foots him.

Nice to have a defender actually encouraging the keeper to come out and get the ball.

Van Dijk might actually force us to take a look at different keepers.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #655: Jan 05, 2018 10:46:19 pm
      A welcome victory over the Blue side of Liverpool, and although like my fellow Red; Mickred would have wished… “Part of me wants to win 1-0 from the most dubious penalty claim ever in the 94 min, just to watch fat sam explain that there is no such thing as a soft penalty.” I will settle for the score line with VVD scoring the winner…

The Team selection…
      The problem I had here was Lallana and Milner starting. I felt against Burley the created so very little, and when Lallana finally put some thing through it was too often played too short, too long or too easily cut out…Stated before the game that we should start Gini over Lallana

Did how ever think that Milner offered good cover for Robinson

The Penalty…
      As stated with the Lovren/Calvert-Lewin. When you put your hands on an opponent in the box and they go down you are giving the referee a decision to make

Holgate made the mistake that resulted in a penalty, then lost his head pushing Firmino into the crowd which should at very least resulted in a yellow card

VVD/Virgil
      Cool, Confident, commanding, and scored the winner… Captains arm Band next season…?

The Ox…Still cannot see the reason for buying him, some wasteful passes yet again, though this in part could be put down to his on familiarity with his team mates and there movements and runs

Solanake… Said at the time we bought him I would have when for both him and Calvert-Lewin…Lets see how he progresses

Good win and chuffed for Virgil scoring on his debut
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #656: Jan 05, 2018 10:47:07 pm
      I thought the same about Milners penalty the first time, look at the replay again. Their keeper, Pickle or whatever his name is, was rolling around in the floor and Milner took the safest option.

So you think Milner got to see the keeper in the upper eye angle while looking onto the ball (which he did)? I'd love to fly to Liverpool right now to clarify that with Milner and Klopp, because a lot can hang on that in the future.

By the way: Very bad from Coutinho to be not in the stand like Salah. Also I read he won't be with the team in training camp and might leave soon (within days), also Monaco signaling Lemar is available. Things go fast. Still cannot understand that Klopp might let him leave now.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #657: Jan 05, 2018 10:51:31 pm
      So you think Milner got to see the keeper in the upper eye angle while looking onto the ball (which he did)? I'd love to fly to Liverpool right now to clarify that with Milner and Klopp, because a lot can hang on that in the future.

What the F**k are you talking about??!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #658: Jan 05, 2018 10:53:24 pm

I honestly can't believe you are complaining this much about a goal that we scored. It literally makes no sense. The keeper went the wrong way. That's their problem, not ours. Simple.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #659: Jan 05, 2018 10:53:46 pm
      Aside from all the positives...

Can wearing the captains armband made me sick, just saying.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #660: Jan 05, 2018 10:54:16 pm

Makes perfect sense coming from this poster.
      LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #661: Jan 05, 2018 10:56:24 pm
      I checked the replay and Milner didn't look up, so he didn't see the keeper early to decide his side. That's why I say it was a poor kick, because he couldn't be sure the keeper was not in the other corner.

How can you be sure he didn't look at the keeper. I can stare at virtually the floor and see a good few feet ahead.

Plus you are probably also forgetting that before the game they have studied every single pen against Pickford and worked out where he goes most times.

Miller probably knew where he is putting the ball with the pen on Tuesday.
      Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #662: Jan 05, 2018 10:58:32 pm
      It makes sense because I care for this team longterm. If we have a loser kicking dumb penalties we have to address this. Imagine what harm it could do to us in the future. But ok I stop here and assume Milner just had figured it out.
      Harrisimo

• 8,170 posts | 1384 
      Reply #663: Jan 05, 2018 10:59:00 pm
      Had to be a red card for Holgate..very dangerous play and also endangered the fans. Ref took no action and the FA should look at it and act retrospectively.

Three match ban. If a fan had been injured the Ref would've acted. But you can't condone a player shuving a player into the front row. What the hell was the 4th official doing getting involved if it wasn't to tell the Ref it was dangerous and reckless by Holgate.

Pippen
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 692 posts | 46 
      Reply #664: Jan 05, 2018 10:59:58 pm
      How can you be sure he didn't look at the keeper. I can stare at virtually the floor and see a good few feet ahead.

That is a good point and I assume Milner kind of did the same. Otherwise his penalty would have been too reckless.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #665: Jan 05, 2018 11:02:00 pm
      They are actually focusing on SSN, on what Bobby said to Holgate rather than what actually happened.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #666: Jan 05, 2018 11:02:54 pm
      It makes sense because I care for this team longterm. If we have a loser kicking dumb penalties we have to address this. Imagine what harm it could do to us in the future. But ok I stop here and assume Milner just had figured it out.

It’s doesn’t mate - here’s what happened. You posted something you thought demonstrated a forensic eye for for football.

It didn’t. Remotely. 

It did expose that you’re more concerned about your view than the bigger picture - an FA Cup Derby is won.

You got called and dug in and made a bigger noise about a nonsense point.

That’s all.

Quick Reply