Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Firmino and Holgate

Read 46772 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Firmino and Holgate
      Reply #230: Jan 11, 2018 07:52:57 pm
      Sorry maybe should have been a bit clearer. I know he won’t be banned for that...though saying that, wasn’t Gray banned at the start of last season over comments he made years ago?

What I was actually getting a though, is he should be banned for the racism claim against Firmino.

I agree and I also think that at 15 you're old enough to know homophobic comments are wrong so age shouldn't be an excuse. Between those two and the push the lad should be facing a lengthy layoff but he won't, because the FA are unfit for purpose in the modern game.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #231: Jan 11, 2018 09:03:33 pm
      I agree and I also think that at 15 you're old enough to know homophobic comments are wrong so age shouldn't be an excuse. Between those two and the push the lad should be facing a lengthy layoff but he won't, because the FA are unfit for purpose in the modern game.

It’s definitely not right by the FA. Yet a player can end up being shown a yellow card, sometimes it’s their 2nd yellow and resulting in a sending off for over celebrating a goal. Their priorities are all wrong and the refs just bottle all the big decisions. How Holgate got out of all that without so much as a yellow is beyond me.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #232: Jan 11, 2018 09:08:49 pm
      It’s definitely not right by the FA. Yet a player can end up being shown a yellow card, sometimes it’s their 2nd yellow and resulting in a sending off for over celebrating a goal. Their priorities are all wrong and the refs just bottle all the big decisions. How Holgate got out of all that without so much as a yellow is beyond me.

Dead right. Nearly a week later and I'm still amazed at such poor reffing during that particular incident. The fact that players get booked for going into the crowd and celebrating

I mean what if it was an old person sitting there? Or a disabled section had been placed there? A cowardly act from a cowardly player who apty put in a cowardly performance which thankfully was probably sole biggest reason why the sad bitters lost the game.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #233: Jan 12, 2018 12:55:04 am

As I've said in previous posts the Ref was trying to deal with Holgate, but then Holgate made his racist claim. Now my reading of it is that the Ref decided to go over to the 4th official and tell him a racist allegation had been made and he further told the 4th official that he was going to refer the whole issue to the FA and he told the official to tell the managers.

And Klopp effectively confirmed that when he said the 4th official told him that the Ref was referring the incident to the FA. Klopp said he didn't really understand what the official told him.

The FA are taking their time because they have to get evidence from the players concerned. Is there enough evidence to take it to trial, probably not but I doubt that will stop the FA charging Bob.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #234: Jan 12, 2018 01:11:01 am
      As I've said in previous posts the Ref was trying to deal with Holgate, but then Holgate made his racist claim. Now my reading of it is that the Ref decided to go over to the 4th official and tell him a racist allegation had been made and he further told the 4th official that he was going to refer the whole issue to the FA and he told the official to tell the managers.

And Klopp effectively confirmed that when he said the 4th official told him that the Ref was referring the incident to the FA. Klopp said he didn't really understand what the official told him.

The FA are taking their time because they have to get evidence from the players concerned. Is there enough evidence to take it to trial, probably not but I doubt that will stop the FA charging Bob.

They aren’t going to charge Bobby, this is all just stupid.
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #235: Jan 12, 2018 01:13:07 am
      And it was the confusion with regard to the Ref going over to the 4th official and that was mainly the Sky commentator saying something along the lines of the 4th official sending one of Everton's staff to the stand.

That may have happened but the Ref didn't take any action against Holgate or indeed Firmino because of the racist allegation. The Ref said to Holgate he didn't hear anything of a racist nature but still decided to refer the incident.

Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #236: Jan 12, 2018 01:15:26 am
      They aren’t going to charge Bobby, this is all just stupid.

You don't know that, so making a rash prediction is stupid. And in the Suarez case ( remember him) the club said the FA were determined to charge Suarez no matter what.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #237: Jan 12, 2018 02:18:06 am
      You don't know that, so making a rash prediction is stupid. And in the Suarez case ( remember him) the club said the FA were determined to charge Suarez no matter what.

You are making a rash prediction since there is absolutely zero evidence, ZERO, that Bobby said anything racist.

Zero.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #238: Jan 12, 2018 03:17:42 am
      If white people (and I'm so f**king white I'm almost see-through) hadn't been such a sh*t c**t of a people for most of history, it wouldn't be a problem.
      The thing is, every race has carried out such atrocities. Do most European's even know about things like the Barbary slave trade? Over a million Europeans captured by North Africans etc.. every race and civilization on this planet has been bad guys at it, but somehow only one ethnicity has been made to feel culpable. It's bad from any race.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #239: Jan 12, 2018 06:46:09 am
      This is what happens when after playing every 3 days for a month Liverpool don't play for a week.

Leaving the rest of that alone though. Said my bit, it ain't getting anywhere so I'm done. Will be F***ing stoked to see this one locked up whenever the FA finally pull their finger out their bum and realise this is all bullshit.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #240: Jan 12, 2018 01:20:07 pm
      Yeah I did not know Portuguese and Spanish were so similar...the words that came out of his mouth were loco puta...which down here on the Mexican border means crazy bi*ch...or in scouse the proverbial crazy c**t....nothing racist about that.

loco puta has got to be the best put down ever, I'm keeping it.

I feel a sing song coming along next time the crazy little c*** comes to Anfield. To the tune of...???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCxBh25xlpQ

Loco, loco loco, loco loco, locoooooooo
      Puta, puta puta, puta puta, putaaaaaa

Has a ring to it I think...
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #241: Jan 12, 2018 07:04:25 pm

RIP that’s one of the most sensible things you’ve ever said.
      Every race, THATS EVERY RACE, in some way or form has been guilty of some level of slavery.
      North Africans on Western Europe one of the gravest like you said, but nobody seems to remember that.
      Romans, Greeks, Norsemen, Normans, Even African tribes on tribes, all guilty m’lud.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #242: Jan 12, 2018 08:07:25 pm
      WTF going on in this thread..bloody romans.
      Any chance of...........

6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #243: Jan 12, 2018 09:09:42 pm
      Frankly Shankly pointed our earlier....and quite rightly so,
      What would have happened if Bobby had've gone head first into a young fan(LFC or EFC!!) sitting in the first row?
      or bust his neck hitting the advertising boards?..nasty !
      Luckily he got straight back up(with the help of the adult fans he fell into) and told the little pr**k off.

The authorities seem to be overlooking the bigger picture here.
      What Holgate did was a stupid f***in thing to do ...end of.. and it's a bout time the FA realised that what he did was going to create a reaction whether during a derby game or against someone like Swansea.

This could drag on for months and no doubt Joe Trump Anderson will prolong the debate in the local tabloids..
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #244: Jan 12, 2018 10:42:50 pm
      Frankly Shankly pointed our earlier....and quite rightly so,
      What would have happened if Bobby had've gone head first into a young fan(LFC or EFC!!) sitting in the first row?
      or bust his neck hitting the advertising boards?..nasty !
      Luckily he got straight back up(with the help of the adult fans he fell into) and told the little pr**k off.

The authorities seem to be overlooking the bigger picture here.
      What Holgate did was a stupid f***in thing to do ...end of.. and it's a bout time the FA realised that what he did was going to create a reaction whether during a derby game or against someone like Swansea.

This could drag on for months and no doubt Joe Trump Anderson will prolong the debate in the local tabloids..

It seems the Ref referred the whole issue to the FA. But in doing that he ignored a sending off offence. It was clearly dangerous play by Holgate and also endangered the safety of supporters. He was lucky no one was injured. Everton benefitted from the deferred decision.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #245: Jan 13, 2018 04:18:46 am
      What I don't understand is why some things on the field aren't dealt with by the police. To me it was assault, different from any normal foul. Seems like no matter what happens on a football pitch the FA have authority.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #246: Jan 13, 2018 06:37:19 am
      What I don't understand is why some things on the field aren't dealt with by the police. To me it was assault, different from any normal foul. Seems like no matter what happens on a football pitch the FA have authority.

The victim should complain to the police for the act to be considered a criminal offence. If the assaulted player doesn't consider the violent behaviour as an assault and refrains from making a complaint, why would the police get involved?

As a case in point, the police got involved in the Ferdinand vs Terry issue only after they received an anonymous complaint.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #247: Jan 13, 2018 12:56:57 pm
      Isn't there also an issue that by shoving Firminio he risked the health of some of the Liverpool supporters who he landed on?

No wonder people laugh at us.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #248: Jan 13, 2018 01:00:42 pm

Same applies here. We’d have some very F***ing busy police forces if they started investigating pushes on football fields.

You should come and watch some Sunday league footy near me. You’d probably wanna draft the army in.

Holgate pushed Firmino in a derby. Steven Gerrard stamped on Naismith and caught Kevin Campbell above the knee in a derby too. He stamped on Herrera against United also.

It happens. No need to dial 999.
      Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Reply #249: Jan 13, 2018 01:09:28 pm
      For everyone saying that Holgate should have been sure before making the accusation.. I don’t disagree with you.

The point I was making is that some sections of our support suggested he made said accusations to get away without being carded etc. That’s bollocks.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #250: Jan 13, 2018 01:11:15 pm
      Crazy that there has been no news on this. I wonder if the fact that we have a game against the league leaders tomorrow has anything to do with the delay. Or have I got my tin foil hat on?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #251: Jan 13, 2018 01:56:56 pm
      Although it's only anecdotal, I've noticed a huge correlation to being called a social justice warrior and told I've been triggered after I call someone being an arsehole an arsehole.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,954 posts | 3334 
      Reply #252: Jan 13, 2018 02:43:40 pm
      Firmino will be punished with some kind of ban because Holgate has played the race card. The FA will, like most authorities in the world, want to present an image of dealing with any form of racism harshly. Even though there's no evidence of racism, that won't stop them. This is not the FA witch hunt against Liverpool but rather trying to protect themselves from the likes of Clarke Carlisle or Paul McGrath (two racist fuckers themsleves) where they're accused of brushing racism under the carpet.

Holgate, himself, may get some sort of punishment (probably a fine) for his push on Firmino. But again, given the race card has been played I doubt it. Just for the FA to protect their own image.

And it's authorities/companies/medias trying to protect their own image of "we're not racist/sexist/homophobic/any other word that offends" that actually causes what they're trying to prevent. If Bobby is punished (like Suarez was with no evidence) then that just says to every other player to say they were racially abused even when they weren't. By shitting themselves it sends out the wrong image. The FA really need to make a stance here and say "we're not ignoring racism but accussing somebody of racism when there's no evidence of it is just as bad as somebody actually being racist and therefore it's Mason Holgate who'll be punished and not Roberto Firmino"

Quick Reply