Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Riyad Mahrez (Leicester City)

Read 42240 times
      Kopite78
      Re: Riyad Mahrez
      Reply #23: Jan 06, 2018 10:11:16 pm
      Seems too cheap. Just twitter rumours so far.

They reckon he was available for 40 odd in the summer

Roma bid but under that
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #24: Jan 06, 2018 10:13:07 pm
      One positive side of this potential transfer is that Mahrez would be eligible for the Champions League
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #25: Jan 06, 2018 10:13:36 pm
      The fact that the only real negative in this thread is his potential workrate says something. Quality player and if there’s one person can improve that side of his game it’s Klopp. Think he would fit in really well here.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #26: Jan 06, 2018 10:14:18 pm
      Reports in France have linked Liverpool with a move for Leicester City’s Riyad Mahrez, but this has been strongly rejected by senior sources at Anfield who say they have NO interest in the Algerian international, says @JBurtTelegraph

After VVD summer saga I don’t think journos have ‘senior sources’ at anfield
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018 10:18:19 pm by Alfie2510 »
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,464 posts | 228 
      Reply #27: Jan 06, 2018 10:14:29 pm
      Hes an attacking midfielder I do not care about his defensive contributions. If he works hard even occasionally, that is a bonus.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,251 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #28: Jan 06, 2018 10:24:56 pm
      One positive side of this potential transfer is that Mahrez would be eligible for the Champions League

So am I, but will need to check my passport as it runs out soon.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #29: Jan 06, 2018 10:38:55 pm
      I like mahrez me.

Not on coutinhos level but he is a very, very good footballer.

I'd take him all day.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #30: Jan 06, 2018 10:40:46 pm

Loved how Coutinho could collect from deep and open teams up. Can Mahrez do that?

He’s been doing it a lot this season, few of his goals this season have come from getting the ball from deep, running through the middle of the pitch with it and then lashing one in from distance.

He’s had much more of a free role this season and has 4 goals and 4 assists in the last 8 games I think. He’s been far from stuck out on one of the wings this season. He’s actually been one of my favourite players to watch this season and think he’s been better than the year they won the league.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #31: Jan 06, 2018 10:42:19 pm
      He’s been doing it a lot this season, few of his goals this season have come from getting the ball from deep, running through the middle of the pitch with it and then lashing one in from distance.

He’s had much more of a free role this season and has 4 goals and 4 assists in the last 8 games I think. He’s been far from stuck out on one of the wings this season. He’s actually been one of my favourite players to watch this season and think he’s been better than the year they won the league.

Well let’s get this sewn up and delivered then!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #32: Jan 06, 2018 10:45:56 pm

I’d go for this, then Keita and Goretzka where Gini and Can are. Be pretty damn good IMO. (Next season, obviously)

Another note on Mahrez though, the advantage would be that with Coutinho gone now, should we get Lemar or someone like that, they will be cup tied for the Champions League, Mahrez would not which is a big plus.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #33: Jan 06, 2018 10:48:57 pm
      I remember he's scored a couple beauties from outside of the box so far this season. Probably the best/most realistic we could get right now in terms of Phil's replacement. Let's get him.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #34: Jan 06, 2018 10:50:00 pm
      Hope these true would not surprise can off Adam play more midfield role next year or ox see bring in goalkeeper or other forward when Daniel move on
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #35: Jan 06, 2018 10:52:57 pm
      I like him but it's not the right player for us given he has played almost exclusively as a right sided winger since joining Leicester. We've got two lads who excel in that position already. I'd prefer we went out and signed a Rakitic type of player who can play centrally. Either that or throw £50 million at Sanchez but I think he has his heart set on city. Mahrez would feel like a bit of a panic buy for me.

He looks like the easiest option but I'd rather we were aggressive in the market and back the manager.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #36: Jan 06, 2018 11:00:15 pm
      I like him but it's not the right player for us given he has played almost exclusively as a right sided winger since joining Leicester. We've got two lads who excel in that position already. I'd prefer we went out and signed a Rakitic type of player who can play centrally. Either that or throw £50 million at Sanchez but I think he has his heart set on city. Mahrez would feel like a bit of a panic buy for me.

He looks like the easiest option but I'd rather we were aggressive in the market and back the manager.

If we spent £50mill on Sanchez, we’d have spent £90mill on 2 players in the final year of their contract, (half year for one of them). No thanks, would rather just try our chances with Sanchez on a free if anything. Bigger priorities needed.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #37: Jan 06, 2018 11:01:59 pm
      He's boss at set pieces too. Available for the CL and FA cup (didn't feature today).

I like him a lot. I'd be very happy with this and it would take a lot of the frustration away from coutinho going.

Don't think he's anywhere near the standard phil is but he's still a boss player and I think he would come on leaps and bounds under klopp and with the other players we have here.

Get him in!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #38: Jan 06, 2018 11:07:05 pm
      BREAKING NEWS

Sky Sports News has been told that Liverpool are not interested in signing Leicester winger Riyad Mahrez, as a replacement for Philippe Coutinho.

Reports have suggested the Algerian is close to a move, but we’ve been told that there has been no contact between Leicester and Liverpool.

And while Jürgen Klopp is in the market for a creative forward player in the wake of Coutinho’s move to Barcelona, he has targets other than Mahrez in mind.

Leicester too, would want much more than the £50m fee suggested

http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #39: Jan 06, 2018 11:14:40 pm
      BREAKING NEWS

Sky Sports News has been told that Liverpool are not interested in signing Leicester winger Riyad Mahrez, as a replacement for Philippe Coutinho.

Reports have suggested the Algerian is close to a move, but we’ve been told that there has been no contact between Leicester and Liverpool.

And while Jürgen Klopp is in the market for a creative forward player in the wake of Coutinho’s move to Barcelona, he has targets other than Mahrez in mind.

Oh well, F**k it
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #40: Jan 06, 2018 11:15:22 pm
      BREAKING NEWS

But doesn’t say who SSN were told by.
      I pay little attention to SSN, full of it on there.

But for what it’s worth. I don’t think we are personally.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #41: Jan 06, 2018 11:16:48 pm
      But doesn’t say who SSN were told by.
      I pay little attention to SSN, full of it on there.

But for what it’s worth. I don’t think we are personally.

Sky Sources is always somebody onTwitter.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #42: Jan 06, 2018 11:18:10 pm
      Something is afoot......Mahrez could be a decoy........

My spidey senses are tingling 🧐
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #43: Jan 06, 2018 11:22:14 pm
      So the winter transfer window just went silly season with every name now going to be thrown at us for clicks and hits..

As Liverpool have known about the Coutinho sale for some time, why would they announce it and then start bringing in an urgent buy?

Surely they would sign a replacement and then announce Coutinho's departure.

Would love to be wrong and see us suddenly buy a big name player, but I think it more likely that there will be no rushed news in the next 24 hours like some journalists will love to claim.. and if we have something in the pipeline it will come slowly.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #44: Jan 06, 2018 11:39:56 pm
      So the winter transfer window just went silly season with every name now going to be thrown at us for clicks and hits..

As Liverpool have known about the Coutinho sale for some time, why would they announce it and then start bringing in an urgent buy?

Surely they would sign a replacement and then announce Coutinho's departure.

Would love to be wrong and see us suddenly buy a big name player, but I think it more likely that there will be no rushed news in the next 24 hours like some journalists will love to claim.. and if we have something in the pipeline it will come slowly.

We have known about it for ages the owners just won't have sanctioned another big splash of cash as it eats into the coutinho profit.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #45: Jan 06, 2018 11:48:15 pm

Quick Reply