I am a fan of Mahrez and we have done no wrong with our Africans recently
The one thing that worries me though is that his best position is on the right, cutting inside with his left much like Salah does. The right wing is also Mané's best position. And Chamberlain's.
Coutinho is not irreplaceable (we've had many good results without him) but he leaves quite a few gaps in the squad:
- our only player capable of scoring regularly from midfield and deeper positions;
- our only attacking player most suited to the left side;
- our best set pieces taker;
- our best long distance finisher;
- best passing range and creativity in the squad.
We probably will not be able to find a like for like replacement, so I don't necessarily dislike the idea of getting Mahrez, even if he's a quite different player.
But it worries me that most of the gaps mentioned above won't be filled. I particularly liked the idea of signing a player like Lemar because he plays on the left but I also see in him the passing skills to play deeper and more centrally if required.
But we shall see. I do hope we act as quickly as possible.