Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Riyad Mahrez (Leicester City)

Read 42245 times
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Riyad Mahrez (Leicester City)
      Jan 06, 2018 09:28:56 pm
      Bein Sports saying Mahrez medical tomorrow

@beinsports_FR
      🔴 BeIN 🇬🇧 Riyadh Mahrez SPORTS INFO will pass his medical with Liverpool tomorrow âš½ it commit for the next four seasons, until June 2022 💰 amount of the transaction: 55 M € po.st/pn20oi

translated from French language.
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018 11:50:28 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,099 posts | 1638 
      Re: Riyad Mahrez
      Reply #1: Jan 06, 2018 09:30:50 pm
      Bein Sports saying Mahrez medical tomorrow

@beinspirts_FR
      🔴 BeIN 🇬🇧 Riyadh Mahrez SPORTS INFO will pass his medical with Liverpool tomorrow âš½ it commit for the next four seasons, until June 2022 💰 amount of the transaction: 55 M € po.st/pn20oi

Just seen this wouldnt be surprised tbh that someone not in very quickly. Top player  on his day
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #2: Jan 06, 2018 09:35:18 pm
      Just for context - posted it somewhere else yesterday - but since the start of 2015/16 season Mahrez has scored 2 more goal, provided 3 more assists and won a league title........mostly in a poorer side than Phil.

Food for thought.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3: Jan 06, 2018 09:35:31 pm
      Meh
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #4: Jan 06, 2018 09:36:03 pm
      Think he’ll be great for us if we sign him.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #5: Jan 06, 2018 09:38:08 pm
      Mahrez is a winger and will be up against Mane and Salah?

Loved how Coutinho could collect from deep and open teams up. Can Mahrez do that?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #6: Jan 06, 2018 09:38:40 pm
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #7: Jan 06, 2018 09:39:08 pm
      As a fellow Algerian and a keen follower of Mahrez, I feel like this isn't the right move for us.

He is a quality player on his day BUT he is lazy and does not track back whatsoever and I do not see this working for Klopp.

Glad we went in for someone asap.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #8: Jan 06, 2018 09:39:38 pm

Loved how Coutinho could collect from deep and open teams up. Can Mahrez do that?

Yes he can...listen to the taw special from a few days ago when they had the guy that covers the foxes on.....he would fit in just fine
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #9: Jan 06, 2018 09:41:56 pm

Think he probably can to be honest. Can he do the gegenpress though?
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #10: Jan 06, 2018 09:43:56 pm
      He is a quality player on his day BUT he is lazy and does not track back whatsoever and I do not see this working for Klopp.

Coutinho never bothered to track back either most of the time.

I've always thought Mahrez would suit us. Great ball control and used to playing in a fast counter attacking team with pace in attack.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #11: Jan 06, 2018 09:46:20 pm
      I am a fan of Mahrez and we have done no wrong with our Africans recently ;D

The one thing that worries me though is that his best position is on the right, cutting inside with his left much like Salah does. The right wing is also Mané's best position. And Chamberlain's.

Coutinho is not irreplaceable (we've had many good results without him) but he leaves quite a few gaps in the squad:

- our only player capable of scoring regularly from midfield and deeper positions;
      - our only attacking player most suited to the left side;
      - our best set pieces taker;
      - our best long distance finisher;
      - best passing range and creativity in the squad.

We probably will not be able to find a like for like replacement, so I don't necessarily dislike the idea of getting Mahrez, even if he's a quite different player.

But it worries me that most of the gaps mentioned above won't be filled. I particularly liked the idea of signing a player like Lemar because he plays on the left but I also see in him the passing skills to play deeper and more centrally if required.

But we shall see. I do hope we act as quickly as possible.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #12: Jan 06, 2018 09:46:32 pm
      As a fellow Algerian and a keen follower of Mahrez, I feel like this isn't the right move for us.

Glad we went in for someone asap.

This is what I sway to thinking. They just have to do something but I'm not 100% on whether he's right for us but if Klopp thinks he is then great, I'll go with it.

Doesn't he play where Salah does, though?
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #13: Jan 06, 2018 09:46:44 pm

I've always thought Mahrez would suit us. Great ball control and used to playing in a fast counter attacking team with pace in attack.

I am pretty sure Coutinho tracked back. Don't get me wrong he adds a lot going forward, I'm just not sure about him helping us defensively.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #14: Jan 06, 2018 09:48:15 pm
      I read a good point that perhaps because we see this lad week in week out he seems less exotic than the likes of Lemar who we only see the best bits of.
      For me if we got him at that price (he was the PL player of the season not last season but one before), considering how sh*t hot he can look with only really Vardy to play off I’d be all for it
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      Reply #15: Jan 06, 2018 09:48:16 pm
      This is what I sway to thinking. They just have to do something but I'm not 100% on whether he's right for us but if Klopp thinks he is then great, I'll go with it.

Doesn't he play where Salah does, though?

Usually yes. Not sure where he would play for us.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #16: Jan 06, 2018 09:49:47 pm
      Usually yes. Not sure where he would play for us.

Right side Salah up top Bobby in behind?
      I’ve not seen any of the English journos go for this yet
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #17: Jan 06, 2018 09:52:42 pm
      Yes he can...listen to the taw special from a few days ago when they had the guy that covers the foxes on.....he would fit in just fine

He does give us different options. I'd rather see us go in for someone who is used to either playing as a left 'winger' or a left inside forward (like Salah is usually doing on the right) rather than another player used to primarly playing on the right.

Wouldn't say no to him though, he has great skills, good vision, decent set piece delivery too I think? Depending on the type of opponent we're playing, workrate isn't nescessarily an issue and I can't help but think that he has a fair bit of defending to do at Leicester too? Given how deep they sometimes play to get on the counterattack.

Coutinho wasn't exactly a prime example of a player who worked hard or helped us defending. He did his work pressing occasionaly, but his tracking back was rather poor and defensively he offered next to nothing.

Both formations would work for me and have everything: pace, trickery, power, length, width, interchangeable front four, ...
      « Last Edit: Jan 06, 2018 09:57:11 pm by Danzel »
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,937 posts | 502 
      Reply #18: Jan 06, 2018 09:53:07 pm

Plenty of times I remember Coutinho nicking the ball off an opponent in a high press. Yeah, obviously he's not the man to protect the back 4 in a deep position, but he would actually hustle and rush opponents high up the park. I have my doubts if Mahrez will do this, but I'm sure Jürgen will be giving it plenty of thought.

One of the reasons I like Lanzini is I think he will hustle and suit the high press. Mahrez is more proven, and at this point a bit more creative right enough, but might be a bit lazy. Coutinho isn't lazy, whatever else you might say about him.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #19: Jan 06, 2018 09:54:29 pm

Lazar Marko... I'll get my coat.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #20: Jan 06, 2018 09:57:35 pm
      I am a fan of Mahrez and we have done no wrong with our Africans recently ;D

The one thing that worries me though is that his best position is on the right, cutting inside with his left much like Salah does. The right wing is also Mané's best position. And Chamberlain's.

Coutinho is not irreplaceable (we've had many good results without him) but he leaves quite a few gaps in the squad:

- our only player capable of scoring regularly from midfield and deeper positions;
      - our best set pieces taker;
      - our best long distance finisher;
      - best passing range and creativity in the squad.

We probably will not be able to find a like for like replacement, so I don't necessarily dislike the idea of getting Mahrez, even if he's a quite different player.

But it worries me that most of the gaps mentioned above won't be filled. I particularly liked the idea of signing a player like Lemar because he plays on the left but I also see in him the passing skills to play deeper and more centrally if required.

But we shall see. I do hope we act as quickly as possible.

Positionally Lemar would be the better option.

If we do keep playing 4-2-2-2 then Mahrez will work, but there still needs to be another option in the Summer.
      Dragonmark
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts | 28 
      Reply #21: Jan 06, 2018 10:02:56 pm
      Mahrez, Salah, Mane, Firmino sounds pretty frightening to be honest.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #22: Jan 06, 2018 10:08:59 pm
      Seems too cheap. Just twitter rumours so far.

Quick Reply