Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Man City?

Loris Karius
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      67 (41.1%)
      Emre Can
      5 (3.1%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      11 (6.7%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      53 (32.5%)
      Mohammed Salah
      7 (4.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      15 (9.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      5 (3.1%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Ragnar Klavan
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 160

Voting closed: Jan 18, 2018 05:54:41 pm

Liverpool 4-3 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 32228 times
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Re: Liverpool 4-3 Manchester City: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #690: Jan 14, 2018 11:58:32 pm
      On can. Is keita not a step up?

We need both. Can is a great player.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,973 posts | 1356 
      Reply #691: Jan 14, 2018 11:59:45 pm
      But play him where? The way Klopp sets up his team he basically plays wingback anyway.

Where do you want him to play, up there with Mo and Sadio?

Hey guess what...it wasn't a hard and fast set in concrete must do....it was just as a compliment to Robbo's energy...have a day off..
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #692: Jan 15, 2018 12:05:23 am
      Hey guess what...it wasn't a hard and fast set in concrete must do....it was just as a compliment to Robbo's energy...have a day off..

It was a pointless post mate so I think you should have a day off.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #693: Jan 15, 2018 12:05:51 am
      I know this may sound a bit controversial but readdddddddddd the post before you comment. The suggestion to play Robbo higher was obviously to get more out of Robbo...not to accommodate Moreno...

I have read it. We're getting more than enough out of Robbo as it is. I mean - what's the plan with Robbo, Moreno and Mane? Three wide players streaked across the left wing? Sounds ridiculous.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,088 posts | 1046 
      Reply #694: Jan 15, 2018 12:13:39 am
      Just watched the game on delay, and avoided spoilers. So check it!!!!

First off, screw Coutinho. We don't want ya and from the looks of today we don't NEED ya. Walk alone homie.

Second, screw all of you who are freaking out about him leaving and screaming that the sky is falling. Trust in Klopp and get your head on right. Best win of the season and the Klopp boys "Robbo, Ox, and Mo" are all leading for MOTM.

Man, picking MOTM was hard. I went with Robbo for shutting down the left and his pace but u could go with almost anybody outside of the six yard box.

Ox is class

Gini, we need that every game. That was the best midfield performance in 4 years.

Mo is brilliant

Bobby isn't human.

Klopp, u could have me if u want, at least til the booze wears off :)

YNWA boys, we needed that

Love u, mean it. Peace
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #695: Jan 15, 2018 12:14:25 am

I sincerely hope he will turn out to be but don't think he's been pulling up trees for Leipzig.

Says something about a players character that Keita hasn't been putting shifts in because he knows he's off whereas Can still has in a similar situation.

I'd probably prefer Keita playing alongside Can, rather than Milner or Henderson.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #696: Jan 15, 2018 12:58:29 am

He is, but if we want to be successful we need as many good players in the squad as we can afford. What you don't want is your quality falling off a cliff between first and second choices in any given position. That's why we should do everything we can, short of giving in to his demands, to keep Can with us.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #697: Jan 15, 2018 02:41:03 am
      Had 2 hours sleep and still absolutely buzzing.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #698: Jan 15, 2018 03:25:46 am
      Three wide players streaked across the left wing?

It might just work! The key is to distract the opposition so they don't realise our right side is empty. At the very least if we get the ball on the left, make sure we keep it and don't go switching it to the right. Leaves you very exposed to the counter attack.
      « Last Edit: Jan 15, 2018 03:30:36 am by vulcan_red »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #699: Jan 15, 2018 03:39:52 am
      It was a bit off putting Klaven on stone cold to mark Aguero...inches from the equaliser...in those situation it needed somebody like Carra to bark out the instructions...nearly cost us.

What would Carra have done? Instruct Aguero to fall down? He went close because he was offside and the AR saw it so it wouldn't have counted.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #700: Jan 15, 2018 03:39:57 am
      Also, what a game. I don't even want to spoil it by asking why we have a hologram in goals.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #701: Jan 15, 2018 03:41:50 am
      Why would Klopp radically alter his formation just to accommodate Moreno? When Robbo is this good I'm not even thinking of a future where Moreno plays for us again tbh.

Quite frankly we don't need Moreno's hot headedness and rash play in this squad.

And Robbo is Miles better in attack. Alby has pace, but his service is not good. Robbo is dynamic in attack and as we saw today, defends well too.

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #702: Jan 15, 2018 03:53:51 am
      Just watched the replay as well. Lee Dixon said we outclassed City the first 80 minutes and he is right.

Kevin DeBruyne is SOME player.

If Emre Can was committed like this all the time he'd be so valuable, but he mails it in too often for us. He was ill I guess. Maybe he needs to be I'll more often.

If you can, listen to Klopps's live post game on US tv. He starts by dropping a huge F-bomb and then says he thought it was allowed in America.

Great, great match and result
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #703: Jan 15, 2018 04:27:57 am
      No two ways about it we twatted them and made the so called best team in the country look rather ordinary.

Was slightly pissed with the two late cheap goals we gifted them as a 1 goal deficit was not a true reflection of our brilliant performance.

Running on about 3.5 hours of sleep but still absolutely buzzing!
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #704: Jan 15, 2018 05:15:30 am
      This was probably the best coached match since Klopp became manager. He out coached Pep, used Citys gameplan against them and played to our strengths.  Im nervous about karius being the #1 now. I dont think he is a #1. Hopefully we address it this summer.

But now idk. What a match. Klopp has slowly turned this squad into one of the top teams in Europe. With the addition of another quality back and a top gk, we should seriously contend for the league next season. Getting Keita is going to turn this squad into a lethal team next season.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #705: Jan 15, 2018 06:38:13 am
      We won 4-3
      We are are the first team to beat a brilliant city team this season
      We should have scored 5 or maybe even 6
      All the players gave their all
      Anyone that is griping or negatively analyzing needs to take a breath and enjoy these times.
      « Last Edit: Jan 15, 2018 07:15:51 am by lester76 »
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #706: Jan 15, 2018 07:10:06 am
      Had 2 hours sleep and still absolutely buzzing.

I had a few more hours but still broken sleep waking up in the middle of the night for it. Been floating all day because of it though, amazing what this kind of result can do for everyone. If we can get a run of wins on, the invincibility cloak off of City now...

You all know what I'm irrationally thinking 8) :champ: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #707: Jan 15, 2018 07:52:19 am
      Yep had about 2.5 hours myself, was so buzzing rang work straight after the match to say I was not coming in, sick 😷 😆😆😆😆😆. Still F***ing buzzing.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #708: Jan 15, 2018 09:50:57 am
      Missed the first half but saw the second. 

The key thing here is that City played well yesterday and we still deservedly turned them over.  Love the fact that Ox & Robbo are being debated as MOTM contenders in such a big result, given that many doubted their credentials early doors. 

Front players as dangerous as ever - Salah is soooooooo good!

Though Gini had a good game, looked strong.

4 fantastic strikes, Mane's was the pick for me, outside of the left peg into a small target; stunning!  But the other 3 were all great in their own right.

I'd give Karius a run, but remain unconvinced.

The unbeaten run continues.  I really feel we're 2 good signings away from being genuine contenders for everything.

Oh and I love Klopp!  I loved Klopp when we got him, I've loved every interview he's given, I don't always agree with his decisions (who does?) but trust him completely.  He's the most excited I've been about a Liverpool manager since Dalglish was appointed player-manager. 

YNWA

bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #709: Jan 15, 2018 09:58:29 am
      I sincerely hope he will turn out to be but don't think he's been pulling up trees for Leipzig.

Says something about a players character that Keita hasn't been putting shifts in because he knows he's off whereas Can still has in a similar situation.

I'd probably prefer Keita playing alongside Can, rather than Milner or Henderson.

It's been an eye opener with Hendo out, and I'd have been one of those defending Jordan. That's not to say I now think Hendo is crap, but we haven't really suffered by him being unavailable.
      Think Can has really stepped up, and like you say, even though looks like he is leaving, he still has the character to do it matters, and yesterday was a huge game for us.
      He's our most physical CM and was really good against City, didn't let their CMs rest and really got stuck into them.
      Disappointed he's leaving, as Milner is on the down-slope and Hendo is so injury prone.
      We also need to replace Cou, so would need someone new coming in to cover the middle as well as Keita..
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #710: Jan 15, 2018 10:14:44 am
      Fully deserved against a very good City side.  We would have been slaughtered for conceding the goals we scored. Again a very good team performance.

Gave Robbo my MOTM - thought he was outstanding again, and just goes to make a mockery of transfer fees.

Ox was excellent again, and thought Gino and Can also played a big part.

Unfortunately not every team can go toe to toe with City and come out on top, so let's hope they have a bit of a slump.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,237 posts | 752 
      Reply #711: Jan 15, 2018 10:16:43 am
      Seemingly brilliant win for the Reds. Managed to miss the game & highlights, being away all day. Still a great result, putting pressure on Utd, for second spot.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #712: Jan 15, 2018 10:17:32 am
      Enjoyed that, two teams that just stuck to their own philosophy and made for a thoroughly entertaining game of football.. had shades of the 4-3’s against Newcastle in terms of two teams just going for it, no spoiling tactics ala Mourinho style, for the neutral I’d say that has to be game of the season so far..

Being a red it was by far our best performance in the way we actually looked like a team, the way we pressed them was so coordinated and every player made it work.

Kudos to Klopp the lads and Pep and the City players, all involved made it a cracking game.

Quick Reply