Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Swansea?

Loris Karius
      4 (6.8%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.7%)
      Joel Matip
      7 (11.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      17 (28.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      18 (30.5%)
      Emre Can
      4 (6.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (3.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.7%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.7%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: Jan 27, 2018 12:17:16 am

Swansea City 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30141 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,689 posts | 3709 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Re: Swansea City 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #575: Jan 23, 2018 08:12:37 am
      They got lucky and we were very unlucky but that does not mean that we played good. Klopp and all the players weren't up for the game. With one week preparation we should got this right.

I think that Klopp should have subbed Matip and put on Solanke with the last 15 minutes remaining. He got the first two subs right with Lallana and Ings. Ings was the only player who tested Fabianski from an open play (apart from Salah's freekick).

He should have put Solanke on and Can should have helped in the defense when needed with Matip being subbed.

I'm very annoyed because of the added pressure into Huddersfield game :(
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #576: Jan 23, 2018 08:14:26 am
      Would have been extremely harsh to drop gini after last weekend

He is an ideal player for the games when we are allowed to play.

Too many times against the Bus Parkers he disappears, nothing new it's now become a recurring theme.

He will be great against Spurs in a couple of weeks.
      Rockafella88
      • Forum John Toshack

• 267 posts | 83 
      Reply #577: Jan 23, 2018 08:19:10 am
      Really annoyed. Really angry.

Can had his half speed performance again.

Matip looked like the player who was most likely was gonna drive through the defence (mad)

I feel we are like one of those 5 a side teams, all flair and one touch passing, where you could get absolutely slaughted, but if you play like lions (like Swansea did) then a result like this can happen.

Anyone think we should bid for Mata? He is EXACTLY the player we need in these games, vision and incisive passing.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 339 
      Reply #578: Jan 23, 2018 08:27:31 am
      Harsh to pin it on Gini, he isn't the sort of player who's going to unlock a defence with sniper's pass, and he isn't going to make a Lampard / Gerrard late run into the box for a shot when it's so crowded and we cant get a one two going because a) nobody's moving up top and b) every pass is bouncing off a defender or gets a poor first touch.  He'd have to see spaces and be sure of getting to the ball first to do that.
      He played his position last night and made sure they didn't get a counterattack.  As per instructions, I'm sure.  I think he was subbed because JK saw they'd shut up shop and he sacrificed him for a goal poacher.
      I agree that Lallana might have been a more productive starter than Mane, but he's not yet match fit.  Saying that I'd have had him on ten mins earlier, for Mane.
      Thought Matip and Karius were our best tonight, the latter simply because he made no mistakes.
      Onwards and (hopefully) upwards, reds.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 339 
      Reply #579: Jan 23, 2018 08:35:40 am

Matip looked like the player who was most likely was gonna drive through the defence (mad)

I feel we are like one of those 5 a side teams, all flair and one touch passing, where you could get absolutely slaughted, but if you play like lions (like Swansea did) then a result like this can happen.

Anyone think we should bid for Mata? He is EXACTLY the player we need in these games, vision and incisive passing.

NOt a bad idea.  Be way overpriced though (who isn't!?).
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,348 posts | 2818 
      Reply #580: Jan 23, 2018 08:37:18 am
      What disappointed me was Swansea didn't really have to work for that. Usually in these kind of games the opposition keeper has to make at least two world class saves, the centre backs have to play out of their skin and they have to get lucky that we miss a couple of sitters. Apart from Firmino at the end I'm not sure much of that happened really.

Real shame that last night, should have got a win and started looking up than down but now we're right back in a scrap for 4th place.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #581: Jan 23, 2018 08:46:38 am
      I taught Swansea were very poor team bet you aresanl beat them next match sway
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #582: Jan 23, 2018 08:47:15 am
      Lets not kid ourselves...we were always gonna be involved in a scrap for top four. The Liverpool way is often the hardest way.
      Pity about the loss and our unbeaten run, but hopefully this can spur the team on to go on another unbeaten run with some tough games coming up.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #583: Jan 23, 2018 08:48:53 am
      When we play top teams we look like Barcelona when we play sh*t teams we turn into Swansea team their level it must be attitude or just we seem too slow when we ball all time
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #584: Jan 23, 2018 08:51:25 am
      Won't mind try woodburn in fa cup he play well give he game time in league and drop can
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,620 posts | 3917 
      Reply #585: Jan 23, 2018 09:17:40 am
      Everyone in the office laughing at us. F***ing nightmare.

Standard F***ing Liverpool
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #586: Jan 23, 2018 09:21:20 am
      Everyone in the office laughing at us. F***ing nightmare.

Standard f**king Liverpool

You think you got it bad my boss is a boyo and Swans fan  :o

Ignored his Whatsapp this morning!

Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,497 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #587: Jan 23, 2018 09:37:16 am
      I was born in Swansea and live about a 20-minute ride from the Liberty Stadium. I have soft spot in my heart, for them, but I love Liverpool FC. I desperately want the Swans to stay up because it'll make things more interesting for me, and it is also very good for the city. That said, I was as sick as a pig when we lost last night. But I wasn't angry.

I wasn't angry because I don't think the lads bottled it, or couldn't be bothered; not after going 19 games unbeaten. It's easy to say "But the Swans suck and we should have battered them." But in that case, we shouldn't have lost to Bristol City in the cup, or to Wimbledon in the FA cup final, or to Bournemouth 4-3 when 3-1 up. But that's just football.

Thought VvD was to blame for their goal, but that's a very harsh criticism; for the rest of the game he was superb and will make £75m look like daylight robbery. It's not just that he can head (almost scored), can play the ball like a playmaking midfielder (almost an assist for Salah), or that he has good positional sense. For me, the way he marshals the defence ala Carra, that is just what we needed. I don't have palpitations anymore when the opposition are in our final third. I still get it when they shoot on goal, but that's another issue.

Anyway, just wanted to say well done to the Swans and to us as well. We've just gone 19 games unbeaten, and played some scintillating football (ask City). This loss was a blip, and not 'Oh that's just typical of us - beat the top and lose to the bottom.'

The only reason we lost last night is because Salah, Bobby, and Mane were all misfiring. How many times are your front three going to do that in a season? Once?

I genuinely believe we are thundering in the right direction. This was three steps forward and one step back.

Get Keita on board and (if the rumours are correct) Jan Oblak (Ath. Mardrid) and I genuinely believe for the first time in decades, that we'll win it next season.

Congratulations to the Swans. But let's not forget the bigger picture here.

To sum up for me, nobody got less than a 7/10 last night.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #588: Jan 23, 2018 09:45:01 am
      They got lucky and we were very unlucky but that does not mean that we played good. Klopp and all the players weren't up for the game. With one week preparation we should got this right.

Yea, with so much time for preparation, disappointed with that performance against the bottom side.
      Wouldn't pick out any one player as being poor, thought through the team we didn't look up for it.

On subs, not sure why Jürgen didn't go for it more in the 2nd half - stick on a striker for a defender (Matip) with 15/20 to go. It not like we were under any pressure at the back. And Ings made a difference when he came on.
      Gomez imo was poor going forward, maybe TAA could have come on for him.

Did he leave VVD up top towards the very end?  Picked VVD as MOTM, thought he did well enough and was a goal threat. Big lad.

The end of a good run. Need to bounce back in the next one.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,544 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #589: Jan 23, 2018 09:46:27 am

More than?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #590: Jan 23, 2018 10:13:01 am
      What disappointed me was Swansea didn't really have to work for that. Usually in these kind of games the opposition keeper has to make at least two world class saves, the centre backs have to play out of their skin and they have to get lucky that we miss a couple of sitters. Apart from Firmino at the end I'm not sure much of that happened really.

Real shame that last night, should have got a win and started looking up than down but now we're right back in a scrap for 4th place.
      Agree mate.

Precisely what Jürgen said in the presser too.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #591: Jan 23, 2018 10:33:54 am
      After their goal, I knew that this wasnt going to be our day. Shoulders dropped, that quick thinking evaporated and I was very disappointed that we didnt react sooner.

Folks saying it would have been harsh to drop Gini should think again. He is like the home-game player. Milly would have been a cool head in the middle. Far too many passes sprayed around haphazardly, trying tricks that were never going to be fruitful.. all we had to do was keep it simple after the goal but we didnt. I continued watching well past 2am to see if we "reacted" well. We didn't and that was my biggest disappointment. 1 loss is not the end of the world like how some here keep jumping around but our reaction was poor!

I thought Milner would come on at half time for Gini, anchor the midfield alongside Can. I was expecting Salah (left) and Chambo (right) to hug the touchline, with Robbo and Joe overlapping and let Mane play through the middle for his pace. We needed to stretch them, distort their structure and see if there were opportunities to seize. But we continued playing our narrow formation and by that, we actually played into their hands.

Midway thru the second half, we should have brought on Solanke and Lallana to try playing both ways - aerial route and on the ground. We had personnel to execute but we did not react! Oh well..
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #592: Jan 23, 2018 10:34:51 am

I agree about Matip but it made me think that this is how we should play against the bus parkers, we need to take more risks and one tactic I'd like is to see is to give the ball to our best dribblers and have them charge though their players with teammates supporting them on either side for one-two's etc, I think that could work, it would certainly open up some space and disrupt the opposition defence plus have more chance of success than the endless passing and crossing which is so easy to cancel out with a packed defence. Another tactic I'd advocate is to get someone to take shots from distance, shots hit at pace which dip and swerve down in front of the goalie and then have the attackers following that ball in and intimidating their goalie into a spill. Whatever we do we still need to find a better tactic against these anti-football teams.
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,283 posts | 1664 
      Reply #593: Jan 23, 2018 10:50:53 am
      We should be picking teams to win games. Yes it would have been harsh to drop Gini but he and others are so not suited as Gomez is who offered very little. Difficult one but at very least if not working changes should have been mate at HT
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,014 posts | 523 
      Reply #594: Jan 23, 2018 11:03:18 am
      Typical us, beating the best team in the league one week, then coming out flat and out of sorts against the worst team.

Pretty well everybody was poor. I gave MOTM to Can just cos I thought he put in the most effort. Lallana and Ings did quite well when they came on. Ings could still be a major plus for us if he can get back to his pre-injury levels.

Thought TAA should have played instead of Gomez. We needed width against the bus parkers and Trent would have given us more.

Anyway, bounce back in the next one. I still fancy us for top 4, hopefully top 3.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #595: Jan 23, 2018 11:43:50 am
      I was actually going to type something after about 8 mins about the slow start and that we didnt look at the races but couldnt be arsed with the responses about negativity. Does anyone else get that early feeling that you know how its going to play certainly against some sides ?

All the time!

We were slow and passing it about like a training session it was always going to happen.

It was clear what their tactics were, I felt we should have made changes at half time.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 339 
      Reply #596: Jan 23, 2018 11:56:59 am
      Jürgen doesn't tend to make changes at half time. 
      I suspect he used it to try to get different tactics through to the players instead.  Not that they did anything much different 'til late on.  Which is when the subs came on.  Which supports your argument for earlier changes!
      fckmediocrity
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 213 
      Reply #597: Jan 23, 2018 11:58:03 am
      I was born in Swansea and live about a 20-minute ride from the Liberty Stadium. I have soft spot in my heart, for them, but I love Liverpool FC. I desperately want the Swans to stay up because it'll make things more interesting for me, and it is also very good for the city. That said, I was as sick as a pig when we lost last night. But I wasn't angry.

I wasn't angry because I don't think the lads bottled it, or couldn't be bothered; not after going 19 games unbeaten. It's easy to say "But the Swans suck and we should have battered them." But in that case, we shouldn't have lost to Bristol City in the cup, or to Wimbledon in the FA cup final, or to Bournemouth 4-3 when 3-1 up. But that's just football.

Thought VvD was to blame for their goal, but that's a very harsh criticism; for the rest of the game he was superb and will make £75m look like daylight robbery. It's not just that he can head (almost scored), can play the ball like a playmaking midfielder (almost an assist for Salah), or that he has good positional sense. For me, the way he marshals the defence ala Carra, that is just what we needed. I don't have palpitations anymore when the opposition are in our final third. I still get it when they shoot on goal, but that's another issue.

Anyway, just wanted to say well done to the Swans and to us as well. We've just gone 19 games unbeaten, and played some scintillating football (ask City). This loss was a blip, and not 'Oh that's just typical of us - beat the top and lose to the bottom.'

The only reason we lost last night is because Salah, Bobby, and Mane were all misfiring. How many times are your front three going to do that in a season? Once?

I genuinely believe we are thundering in the right direction. This was three steps forward and one step back.

Get Keita on board and (if the rumours are correct) Jan Oblak (Ath. Mardrid) and I genuinely believe for the first time in decades, that we'll win it next season.

Congratulations to the Swans. But let's not forget the bigger picture here.

A blip ??? hahaha

(taken from reddit)
      ''We've lost to a relegated team nearly every season over there last decade. If anything a bottom team losing to Liverpool is bad luck for them.
      08 Reading
      09 Boro
      10 Portsmouth
      11 Blackpool, West Ham
      12 Bolton
      14 Didn't lose but a draw against WBA in the middle of what wouldve been a 15 have win streak cost us the title
      15 Hull
      16 Newcastle
      17 Hull
      18 Swansea?
      9/11 seasons, Liverpoool have lost to a team that got relegated''

And yeah yeah it's always next season.. also if you think that a team that lost to the last placed in the PL deserves 7/10 I'm sorry but you're being delusional.

Quick Reply