Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Swansea?

Loris Karius
      4 (6.8%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.7%)
      Joel Matip
      7 (11.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      17 (28.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      18 (30.5%)
      Emre Can
      4 (6.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (3.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.7%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.7%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: Jan 27, 2018 12:17:16 am

Swansea City 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29733 times
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Re: Live: Swansea City V Liverpool
      Reply #483: Jan 22, 2018 10:16:50 pm
      Wouldn't say sh*te.

Thought everyone was just bang average at best.

Thought it was harsh bringing off AoC actually

AOC was one of the few who seemed to have his touch, tonight.  So many times Can, Mane and Firmino lost possession in good positions with a poor first touch.  I'd have put Lallana on for Mane, deffo.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #484: Jan 22, 2018 10:17:14 pm
      Looked like a lucky bounce to me, or was he slating because of the corner being conceded in the first place?

Slating VVD for the header, despite there being a crowd of players (none of who were making any effort to jump for the ball) right in front of him. Then says about how good Mawson was to react. I'm more worried about why none of our players reacted and why VVD was the only one making any effort to get his head on the ball.

He let's the ball go over him and a player could be lurking there and hit it in the net, either way there wasn't a lot VVD could do there, it was more a lack of players reacting afterwards.

Don't know if it's just me but Carra seems desperate to slate VVD, wasn't long ago he was saying he was a Championship defender.
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #485: Jan 22, 2018 10:17:45 pm
      Just to expand on this.

Whoscored.com automatically calculate "player traits", "strengths" and "weaknesses" based entirely on the player's performance data in the current season.
      I use this website quite a lot for other sort of info but it can be interesting to see this section as well.

Keita's profile is here: https://www.whoscored.com/Players/243510/Show/Naby-Keita
      He's *very strong* for both Dribbling and Through balls. It can be quite rare to find players with "very strong" in attributes (some have "strong" at best), let alone those two. It's a great combination.

No doubt mate, we need more dribblers in this team, even more so now that Coutinho is gone. Mane used to be great at that, not sure what happened to him this season. He's just nowhere near explosive as he was last season.
      We can't rely on Gini/Can/Milner/Hendo for creativity and penetration.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #486: Jan 22, 2018 10:18:10 pm
      But it was F***ing Swansea bud, bottom of the F***ing league. Just does my head in. Our second stringers should be beating that lot.
      Football isn't as simple at that though. There's just too many variables to account for. City should have beaten Palace, but were lucky not to lose to a penalty in the last minute.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #487: Jan 22, 2018 10:18:34 pm
      Carra slating VVD for the goal, Billic saying otherwise

Was it his fault? Yes, poor header, but was there a cluster of OUR players going for the same ball as him and leaving their goalscorer free?
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #488: Jan 22, 2018 10:18:42 pm
      Hindsight is a great thing but I fully expected Lallana to play tonight, actually thought he’d take a chance to rest Emre who has played a lot recently.
      Fourbrick
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 844 posts | 235 
      Reply #489: Jan 22, 2018 10:19:41 pm
      Hindsight is a great thing but I fully expected Lallana to play tonight, actually thought he’d take a chance to rest Emre who has played a lot recently.

Not hindsight. Common sense, which our manager seems to lack at certain times.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #490: Jan 22, 2018 10:19:56 pm
      we still have time in jan transfer window....

so tipical lfc game
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #491: Jan 22, 2018 10:20:02 pm
      Just needed the brains for somebody to get it wide and get crosses in.  Surely they could see we were getting nothing attacking the 18yd line centrally over and over?
      Robertson is a player I really like, but he did this against WBA a few games back - spurned loads of chances to get to the byline and kept checking back and passing infield.  Yet in other games he'll gamble and get 3 or 4 good balls in. 

I fully agree mate but really he should be overlapping one of the forwards and running onto the ball to cross it. We certainly could have adjusted things and played that was tonight, it only needed for Salah and Mane to swap wings and to spend some time high and wide. Robertson could have tossed it in there on numerous occasions tonight but they had all the height and all the bodies in there. Funnily enough when he first arrived he crossed the ball all the time and got benched! I don't think Jürgen wants that from his full-backs BUT when it isn't working we should be able to play another way. We needed some two on ones, stretch them out a bit, find the byline and then cut it back or whip it in but we didn't set up to make that happen. All of our players playing centrally except Robbo and Gomez.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #492: Jan 22, 2018 10:20:26 pm
      Was it his fault? Yes, poor header, but was there a cluster of OUR players going for the same ball as him and leaving their goalscorer free?

No denying it wasn't a great header at all. What concerns me though is after that header is made, everyone of our players are basically just stood there watching it, there was nobody reacting.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #493: Jan 22, 2018 10:21:23 pm
      Football isn't as simple at that though. There's just too many variables to account for. City should have beaten Palace, but were lucky not to lose to a penalty in the last minute.

But it should be, beat the best team in the land, smash the bottom team but I understand mate, we are Liverpool, we do things the hard way!
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #494: Jan 22, 2018 10:21:27 pm
      Slating VVD for the header, despite there being a crowd of players (none of who were making any effort to jump for the ball) right in front of him. Then says about how good Mawson was to react. I'm more worried about why none of our players reaceted and why VVD was the only one making any effort to get his head on the ball.

He let's the ball go over him and a player could be lurking there and hit it in the net, either way there wasn't a lot VVD could do there, it was more a lack of players reacting afterwards.

Don't know if it's just me but Carra seems desperate to slate VVD, wasn't long ago he was saying he was a Championship defender.

Ridiculous from Carra there. VVD pretty much won all the headers tonight for us. I've seen this happen to us couple times this season already. Players are just too slow to react and they're usually half-arsed at their attempts of blocking shots.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #495: Jan 22, 2018 10:21:57 pm
      Slating VVD for the header, despite there being a crowd of players (none of who were making any effort to jump for the ball) right in front of him. Then says about how good Mawson was to react. I'm more worried about why none of our players reaceted and why VVD was the only one making any effort to get his head on the ball.

Sky presenter made the point that our players should have left VVD room to attack it - instead, four of them occupied the same square metre of turf at the critical moment with no real hope of achieving anything.  You could argue, and I would, that we still haven't got a well-organised defensive unit at corners.  Why?  Who knows?  VVD at least is attacking the ball, but the rest looked like headless chickens.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #496: Jan 22, 2018 10:22:25 pm
      To be fair though, don't let the stereotype of the black African midfielder (athletic, strong, not so technical) fool you.
      Yeah Keita is great at fast transitions but he's also a great dribbler (has some of the best numbers in the league) and can really pick a pass. Contrast that to, say, Gini Wijnaldum who hardly ever even attempts to take on an opponent, and is very conservative with his passing, and you have a significant improvement going forward.
      Is he going to be the answer? I don't expect one single player to solve all our issues, but I am sure he can help a lot.

Aye, i've heard the lad can do absolutely everything and I cant wait to see him in action. But asking the lad to be a 6, 8 and 10 is surely asking a lot.

We sold a very good 10 and Lallana has his uses, but he is not like a new player and all that bollocks.

What we need to be looking at is someone who isn't all straight lines like Ox and Wijnaldum, someone with some craft.

All of our chances today were crosses or chips into the box. Swansea defenders will have had harder games than that this season. We were predictable.

In fairness it wasnt helped that Firmino was quiet and missed a sitter and Mane and Salah but in 2 very poor displays as well.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #497: Jan 22, 2018 10:22:28 pm
      These Liverpool be going on last few years even more love know reasons why every season we lose bottom teams home and away more then any top 6 teams in league is attitude or just poor players
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #498: Jan 22, 2018 10:23:16 pm
      Just can't be right we beat city off park lose these sh*t today
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #499: Jan 22, 2018 10:25:08 pm
      That was a disgrace..
      If by giving Can the armband Klopp thinks he'll sign a new contract he's nutz !!
      Cannot believe after watching virtually that same 11 last week I had to watch that utter bollocks performance.
      The front three we're really really bad.
      Gomez was f***in awful.
      I'm convinced Robertson was told NOT to cross that ball first time because the amount of times he could've and instead pulled it back onto his right foot and played it back to Van Dyke was ridiculous.
      The only thing Karius all night did was pick the ball out of the back of his net.

We only turn up against the big boys so if thats the case I'm putting a tenner on us winning the Champions League !!

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #500: Jan 22, 2018 10:25:30 pm
      Poor header by who?

There were three of them going for the same ball and left Mawson unmarked.

He leaned in to the ball as opposed to attacking to clear it.

Anyways we had 60 odd minutes as a team to atone and we never did piss poor performance all around.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #501: Jan 22, 2018 10:25:43 pm
      Aye, i've heard the lad can do absolutely everything and I cant wait to see him in action. But asking the lad to be a 6, 8 and 10 is surely asking a lot.

We sold a very good 10 and Lallana has his uses, but he is not like a new player and all that bollocks.

What we need to be looking at is someone who isn't all straight lines like Ox and Wijnaldum, someone with some craft.

All of our chances today were crosses or chips into the box. Swansea defenders will have had harder games than that this season. We were predictable.

In fairness it wasnt helped that Firmino was quiet and missed a sitter and Mane and Salah but in 2 very poor displays as well.

Yeah no disagreement on any of those points.
      Was just stressing that Keita isn't just a running machine, he really does have interesting skills, I'd be much more excited about our chances against those deep defending teams with him in the team than Gini or Ox
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #502: Jan 22, 2018 10:27:34 pm
      Sky presenter made the point that our players should have left VVD room to attack it - instead, four of them occupied the same square metre of turf at the critical moment with no real hope of achieving anything.  You could argue, and I would, that we still haven't got a well-organised defensive unit at corners.  Why?  Who knows?  VVD at least is attacking the ball, but the rest looked like headless chickens.

Vast majority of ‘set piece’ goals we concede (to be fair I don’t recall too many of late) are from 2nd balls. I don’t think there’s much you can do other than sign a few players with a defensive killer instinct.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #503: Jan 22, 2018 10:28:54 pm
      Will posters stop with the Coutinho would have made a difference, there is so many examples of these sort of games where he made no difference in the past.

You could say after that Bobby header onto the post and Lallana not wanting it enough it was just written in the stars tonight.

Players were a little too complacent after the City game and just 5% off makes all the difference.

Another day and we would have walked away 2-1 and put it down to a hard fought victory.

No idea why Gomez is getting picked for these sort of games he has zero end product and is not needed when we have 70% possession, all he did was give them a breather by coughing up possession.

Can't believe the hate for Emre at least he tried to pass the ball forward, got into the box and tried compare him to his invisible partner the guy apparently gives us balance!
      No way should Gini be starting against teams who have no intention of attacking, completely anonomous

Not sure why Ox was subbed thought it should have been Mane who again was poor, he didn't once look at taking on his man continually cutting back inside.

Not all lost first loss in 3 months, put it down to one of those games but hopefully Jürgen will realise the need for a creative midfielder because here on in this is what we will be facing regularly.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #504: Jan 22, 2018 10:29:14 pm
      An example of what went on tonight none of our corners beat the first man, a simple thing but endemic of how we played tonight
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #505: Jan 22, 2018 10:29:18 pm
      Look at utd cu*ts brought in world class player we sold our best player look like we won't be bring in anyone so put our top 4 on luck hope end of season

Quick Reply