Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Swansea?

Loris Karius
      4 (6.8%)
      Joe Gomez
      1 (1.7%)
      Joel Matip
      7 (11.9%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      17 (28.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      18 (30.5%)
      Emre Can
      4 (6.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (3.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      1 (1.7%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      1 (1.7%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Roberto Firmino
      4 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: Jan 27, 2018 12:17:16 am

Swansea City 1-0 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 29750 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Live: Swansea City V Liverpool
      Reply #506: Jan 22, 2018 10:29:23 pm
      Really tiresome these Coutinho comments now saying he would have been the solution to unlock them. Plenty of games he's played under Jürgen where he started and we failed to break down the bus parkers like WBA a month ago.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #507: Jan 22, 2018 10:29:37 pm

Vast majority of ‘set piece’ goals we concede (to be fair I don’t recall too many of late) are from 2nd balls. I don’t think there’s much you can do other than sign a few players with a defensive killer instinct.

Or get some players to get back on the line.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #508: Jan 22, 2018 10:30:32 pm
      Aye, i've heard the lad can do absolutely everything and I cant wait to see him in action. But asking the lad to be a 6, 8 and 10 is surely asking a lot.

Not really asking a lot, just play him as a #8 and box-box role where he can defend, tackle, dictate, create and score :D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #509: Jan 22, 2018 10:30:41 pm

The only thing Karius all night did was pick the ball out of the back of his net.

We only turn up against the big boys so if thats the case I'm putting a tenner on us winning the Champions League !!

Quite familiar that by now (swap Mignolet and Karius's name).

That said at the same time, it must be the only thing that Tranmere legend John Achterberg is knowledgeable of in the art of goalkeeping.

I'm sure Allison will put things right...or will he if Achterberg remains goalkeeping coach?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #510: Jan 22, 2018 10:34:52 pm
      Ridiculous from Carra there. VVD pretty much won all the headers tonight for us. I've seen this happen to us couple times this season already. Players are just too slow to react and they're usually half-arsed at their attempts of blocking shots.

Carra's always got one eye on making the headlines like most pundits out there today. Probably angling for that 'Liverpool legend SLAMS new £75 million signing...and people were here for it' type of clickbait cuntery stuff.
      TheleftpegofRayKennedy
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,028 posts | 332 
      Reply #511: Jan 22, 2018 10:34:59 pm
      Will posters stop with the Coutinho would have made a difference, there is so many examples of these sort of games where he made no difference in the past.

You could say after that Bobby header onto the post and Lallana not wanting it enough it was just written in the stars tonight.

Players were a little too complacent after the City game and just 5% off makes all the difference.

Another day and we would have walked away 2-1 and put it down to a hard fought victory.

No idea why Gomez is getting picked for these sort of games he has zero end product and is not needed when we have 70% possession, all he did was give them a breather by coughing up possession.

Can't believe the hate for Emre at least he tried to pass the ball forward, got into the box and tried compare him to his invisible partner the guy apparently gives us balance!
      No way should Gini be starting against teams who have no intention of attacking, completely anonomous

Not sure why Ox was subbed thought it should have been Mane who again was poor, he didn't once look at taking on his man continually cutting back inside.

Not all lost first loss in 3 months, put it down to one of those games but hopefully Jürgen will realise the need for a creative midfielder because here on in this is what we will be facing regularly.

Agree on Coutinho, but Lallana was just unlucky there.  We had no luck all game, actually, it was one of those where every shot and final ball hits the last defender's desperately-stretched leg.  Bl**dy frustrating.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #512: Jan 22, 2018 10:35:14 pm
      No options from the bench with Coutinho and Sturridge out of the picture.

Both signed in January.

Now Ings from the bench instead. Jaysus lads. Squad got thin fairly quick.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #513: Jan 22, 2018 10:36:07 pm
      I hate the Liberty Stadium. Bit of a bogey ground for us just like Hull City's own industrial park playground last season...I hope Swansea get relegated.
      KS67
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,475 posts | 463 
      Reply #514: Jan 22, 2018 10:36:46 pm

Both signed in January.

But it's all fine.

Fine. Fine. Good and fine. Fine, fine, fine.

Fine!

I can't believe there are people that don't see it, you have owners who are content to do the bare minimum and a manager who they indulge who thinks Ings and Solanke when you need a goal is acceptable until the summer.

You are so right, this squad needs attackers.

It arguably needed an attacker eveb if we kept Coutinho!!
      Harrisimo

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #515: Jan 22, 2018 10:36:57 pm
      Well looked thru the last 3 pages..

If you are playing a tight packed defense you need width...you need players who can pick it up wide, come in at them, cut in or play a little grubber ball. But you need width and quality out there.

Klopp even said we need Salah wider..Salah is at his best when he picks up the ball, runs at people, throws dummies, drops his shoulder...whips one in..that's what he does...put him in the middle with his back to the goal and not moving in...at pace...with the ball...then you negate his skill.

We just tried all night to go thru traffic...expecting some miracle flick or one-two's..in a tight packed defense..that's why we didn't create enough. Yes we obviously did make a few chances but nowhere near enough.

Problem for us is Klopp, given that he said in his interview that we should have stretched the game, didn't get that message thru.

Klopp knows as well as any that if you try to trick your way thru a packed defense it is very difficult.

Did I expect some on here to...not really..
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #516: Jan 22, 2018 10:37:28 pm

Both signed in January.

He did alright did Ings when he came on but I've got to be honest...the deflation in hearing it was HE who was coming on to try and make amends was f**king depressing.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #517: Jan 22, 2018 10:37:50 pm
      Ridiculous from Carra there. VVD pretty much won all the headers tonight for us. I've seen this happen to us couple times this season already. Players are just too slow to react and they're usually half-arsed at their attempts of blocking shots.

Indeed recurring problem of players being too slow to react to the second ball.

VVD was OK tonight although Matip was probably the pick of our defenders tonight.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #518: Jan 22, 2018 10:37:58 pm
      Slating VVD for the header, despite there being a crowd of players (none of who were making any effort to jump for the ball) right in front of him. Then says about how good Mawson was to react. I'm more worried about why none of our players reacted and why VVD was the only one making any effort to get his head on the ball.

He let's the ball go over him and a player could be lurking there and hit it in the net, either way there wasn't a lot VVD could do there, it was more a lack of players reacting afterwards.

Don't know if it's just me but Carra seems desperate to slate VVD, wasn't long ago he was saying he was a Championship defender.

Very weird. Didn't see too many 'at fault' for their goal, more of a team failure and spot of luck for them. Strange from Carra, maybe a 'forced' opinion Sky want him to have, but then it doesn't seem like Carra to just go along with that agenda.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #519: Jan 22, 2018 10:39:22 pm
      Quote from lreland
      Look.....

He's back. Minutes after the final whistle.

We didn't win so. :throw:

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #520: Jan 22, 2018 10:41:00 pm
      He did alright did Ings when he came on but I've got to be honest...the deflation in hearing he was coming on to try and make amends was F***ing depressing.

I said in the transfers page that the best thing about having the fab 4 was often where 1 or 2 didn’t start. Having them come on in the 2nd half.

Been key to what was good all season. That and width in the forward areas lacking tonight.

Didn’t stretch them at all.
      « Last Edit: Jan 22, 2018 10:59:32 pm by racerx34 »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #521: Jan 22, 2018 10:41:00 pm
      But it's all fine.

Fine. Fine. Good and fine. Fine, fine, fine.

Fine!

rossyred

• 9,094 posts | 1632 
      Reply #522: Jan 22, 2018 10:41:07 pm
      Will posters stop with the Coutinho would have made a difference, there is so many examples of these sort of games where he made no difference in the past.

You could say after that Bobby header onto the post and Lallana not wanting it enough it was just written in the stars tonight.

Players were a little too complacent after the City game and just 5% off makes all the difference.

Another day and we would have walked away 2-1 and put it down to a hard fought victory.

No idea why Gomez is getting picked for these sort of games he has zero end product and is not needed when we have 70% possession, all he did was give them a breather by coughing up possession.

Can't believe the hate for Emre at least he tried to pass the ball forward, got into the box and tried compare him to his invisible partner the guy apparently gives us balance!
      No way should Gini be starting against teams who have no intention of attacking, completely anonomous

Not sure why Ox was subbed thought it should have been Mane who again was poor, he didn't once look at taking on his man continually cutting back inside.

Not all lost first loss in 3 months, put it down to one of those games but hopefully Jürgen will realise the need for a creative midfielder because here on in this is what we will be facing regularly.

Agree about Can but a ball on a plate fir Salah he only gets stick because when he trys things doesnt always come off wheras Wijnaldum offers nothing productive going forward
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #523: Jan 22, 2018 10:43:58 pm
      The midfield was woefull Can, Ox and Gino created nothing to night
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #524: Jan 22, 2018 10:44:37 pm
      I said in the transfers page that the best thing about having the fab 4 was often where 1 or 2 didn’t start. Having them come on in the 2nd half.

Been key to what was good all season. That and width in the forward areas lacking tonight.

Didn’t stretch them at all.

I didn't think your words of wisdom would come home to roost so soon. Definitely worried that this will become the norm from now until the end of the season.
      « Last Edit: Jan 22, 2018 11:00:07 pm by racerx34 »
      green_bear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,042 posts | 289 
      Reply #525: Jan 22, 2018 10:46:27 pm
      Well looked thru the last 3 pages..

If you are playing a tight packed defense you need width...you need players who can pick it up wide, come in at them, cut in or play a little grubber ball. But you need width and quality out there.

Klopp even said we need Salah wider..Salah is at his best when he picks up the ball, runs at people, throws dummies, drops his shoulder...whips one in..that's what he does...put him in the middle with his back to the goal and not moving in...at pace...with the ball...then you negate his skill.

We just tried all night to go thru traffic...expecting some miracle flick or one-two's..in a tight packed defense..that's why we didn't create enough. Yes we obviously did make a few chances but nowhere near enough.

Problem for us is Klopp, given that he said in his interview that we should have stretched the game, didn't get that message thru.

Klopp knows as well as any that if you try to trick your way thru a packed defense it is very difficult.

Did I expect some on here to...not really..

Didn't help that the full backs were quite awful tonight going forward, especially Gomez.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #526: Jan 22, 2018 10:48:25 pm
      A Swansea supporter behind Klopp must've pushed him too far going off Klopp at the press conference.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #527: Jan 22, 2018 10:50:09 pm
      A Swansea supporter behind Klopp must've pushed him too far going off Klopp at the press conference.

What's he said?
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #528: Jan 22, 2018 10:53:33 pm
      Can and wijnaldum are players that we need for the Big Six games but they are so slow on the ball and lack creativity in a game like tonight.

Easy blame Klopp but we could be having a different conversation at the same time if Salah scores or Mane and we go in level at the break.

One of those nights. At least we are still 4th.

Quick Reply