Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Alisson Becker (AS Roma)

Read 133903 times
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,711 posts | 896 
      Re: Alisson Becker (AS Roma)
      Reply #506: Jul 16, 2018 04:32:10 pm
      havent been in this thread but people saying lets buy Alisson for 65? dont know what to say to that. would like to add that maybe some people are overrating him. He is defiantly not worth that kind of money.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #507: Jul 16, 2018 05:14:26 pm
      Alisson is not worth doubling the GK transfer record for. I highly doubt Klopp would pay that sum of money for someone who looks so not worth the inflated price tag.

I saw the rumor we have bid for Cillensen which should cost less than half what Alisson's supposed fee is and more in line with what i'd expect an incoming goalkeeper to be like; someone solid to come in and take over in case Karius doesn't hold onto the #1 position.

That link to Cillensen has been rubbished by Dominic King. Says we have ZERO interest in him. Apparently there’s only one keeper that we have interest in (Allison) and we already told his agent before the summer started that we wouldn’t be bidding on him.
      « Last Edit: Jul 16, 2018 05:20:09 pm by FL Red »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #508: Jul 16, 2018 05:15:05 pm
      Haha. Ok.
      May be fine for you.

But not for me as I don’t see that he’s double of Navas. My own view.

He’s way better than Navas because Navas isn’t really that good.
      Kopite78
      Reply #509: Jul 16, 2018 05:17:20 pm
      That link to Cillensen has been rubbished bun Dominic King. Says we have ZERO interest in him. Apparently there’s only one keeper that we have interest in (Allison) and we already told his agent before the summer started that we wouldn’t be bidding on him.

Don't believe that we won't be bidding nonsense
      I bet we are talking with him. I have very little doubt about that
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #510: Jul 16, 2018 05:19:50 pm

Maybe, it’s certainly kind of interesting that we would even make it known that we told an agent we wouldn’t bid. Seems a little too “try hard”.

Regardless of the fee, I can’t say I’ve been impressed with Allison but admittedly I’ve only watched him play us and the World Cup games.
      Kopite78
      Reply #511: Jul 16, 2018 05:21:37 pm
      Maybe, it’s certainly kind of interesting that we would even make it known that we told an agent we wouldn’t bid. Seems a little too “try hard”.

Regardless of the fee, I can’t say I’ve been impressed with Allison but admittedly I’ve only watched him play us and the World Cup games.

We said the same on Virgil, he was signed on January 1

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #512: Jul 16, 2018 05:32:28 pm
      https://twitter.com/WC_LFC_Torres/status/1018690630992658432

Obviously the links with Alisson to Liverpool are what prompted me to make this thread. But as it is entirely possible he also ends up at either Real or Chelsea next year, this will be written primarily with that idea in mind. The idea is that this thread can be read by any fan of any fanbase and learn something about Alisson. So if he goes to Chelsea, Chelsea fans can read this thread to learn about him and get hyped, just like Liverpool fans should he go to Liverpool.

We’ll start with the basics: Name: Alisson Becker Age: 25 Height: 191cm (6’3”) Weight: 91kg (200 lbs) Nationality: Brazil Apps: 45 Clean Sheets: 20 Saves: 126 GA: 44 Saves per Goal: 2.86 WhoScored Rating: 6.91

Alisson rose into prominence this season after Roma offloaded Szczęsny to Juve. Since then he has cemented himself as Brazil’s No. 1 ahead of Ederson and attracted interest from across Europe, particularly from Real Madrid, Liverpool, and Chelsea.

So what makes this keeper so special? Why are Roma able to slap a €80m price tag on a keeper who’s had one good season, and clubs are actually viewing it as only marginally overpriced? For that, let’s look at some stats, and discuss what makes Alisson so desirable.

Keepers are slowly becoming more utilized in build up play and counter attacks than they have been in seasons past. A keeper that’s good with their feet means not only that they won’t crumble under pressure from a striker, but also can pick out passes from the back. Ederson was picked out by Pep for this very reason. While his ability as a keeper is great, it’s not his shot stopping ability that caught Pep’s attention, it was his ability on the ball. Therefore, we’ll use Ederson as the standard to compare against in terms of distribution.

For the next few tweets in this thread, please refer to the graphic below. It should be noted that this graphic was made with a couple months still to play in the season, but as neither of them dropped off in quality during that remaining time it is still valid.

As you can see, Ederson completes a higher percentage of his overall and forward passes, but as we go up the pitch, that’ll change. That said, both keepers are exceptional with their feet. In fact for context on just how good, let’s compare them to some other keepers as well.

No other starting PL keeper completes more than 66.9% of forward passes (Tottenham’s Hugo Lloris). No other Serie A keeper tops 73.6% (Inter’s Samir Handanovic). Manuel Neuer came in at 70.5% in 2016/17. Oblak completed only 31% of forward passes this season, down from 44.4% in 2016/17, but he tends not to play short balls, which transitions us into a new level of specificity with Alisson/Ederson.

We see here that, despite Ederson attempting more passes into the final third, Alisson distinguishes himself notably more up the pitch. He attempts more long passes (beyond 34 metres) and is considerably more successful with them.

Oblak attempted 340 long passes but only connected on 34.1% with 49 toward the final third at 14.3%. De Gea frequently sends the ball long (435 attempts) but more often than not misses (40.5% success), same when going toward the final third (98 attempts, 20.4%)

This strength in distribution is a very key selling point for any top club. With Liverpool and Real both enjoying a fair amount of possession each game, as well as a strong counter-attacking style, Alisson’s ability to put the ball down field quick is invaluable.

Imagine Alisson claiming a corner then quickly putting the ball upfield for Mane/Salah or Bale to take and counter with speed. As CB’s usually push up on corners, this leaves them highly prone to counters. An accurate punt from Alisson could take 8+ players out of the equation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGmeDyTiuPM

You get the point, Alisson’s distribution is insane. But what about his shot stopping ability?

Alisson was rated as the best goalkeeper in Europe last season by WhoScored Squawka rated him as the second best keeper in the world, only behind Ter Stegen But why? Combined with the distribution mentioned earlier, Alisson is an exceptional shot stopper. His save rate of 80.1% was the highest in Serie A, and second highest in Europe behind only Jan Oblak at 85.8%. Only Juventus (24) conceded fewer league goals than Roma (28) in Serie A.

No goalkeeper kept more clean sheets than Alisson (17) in Serie A and he ranked in the top 10 for saves (107) But of course some are (understandably) not convinced by save rate alone. As it doesn’t say anything about the types of shots they faced. For this we look at Expected Goals Against (xGA) vs Goals Against (GA) Expected goals (xG) are computed by identifying the position a shot was taken from and calculating the likelihood that a player would score from that position. This same metric is used to measure xGA.

Therefore, the difference between actual goals against (GA) and xGA effectively measures how well a goalie stopped shots in a season. In other words, if a keeper concedes as many goals as he is expected, then he saved all the shots he was expected to save. With xGA vs GA we are hoping to figure out if Alisson is not only making the saves he is expected to make, but also if he is making the saves he’s NOT expected to make.

Amazingly, Alisson outperformed his xGA in 30 of the 37 games this season, combining for a total of 9.46 fewer goals against than we would expect with a typical keeper. So what if Roma conceded all the goals they were expected to concede as they would with a typical keeper?

If Roma conceded all their xGA as they would with a keeper who makes all the saves a keeper should make, they’d finish 11 points lower in the table, in 6th. The phrase “(insert World Class keeper) is probably worth 10+ points a season” is literal with Alisson. This isn’t even taking into account Alisson’s impact on corners where he has a 90% claim success rate, or his ability as a sweeper keeper in which he prevents several chances from ever including a shot on target at all.

It’s save to say that at the age of only 25, and this being Alisson’s first true test at the top level, he will only improve with age. His looks aren’t bad for marketing either

From here I will talk my completely subjective observations of him based on my experience in watching him play in Serie A. I will also then speak specifically on why I think Liverpool want him toward the end, so if Chelsea/Madrid/Neutral fans stop at that point it’s cool. His reflexes are some of the best I’ve seen in a long time, maybe ever. While I am in no way saying he is better than De Gea, his reflexes very much do remind me of DDG’s.

If there is a downside to him it’s that he does have a tendency to sometimes spill the ball back into play, but no more than most keepers and his insane ability to get up and make double saves makes up for it.

LFC CUT-OFF POINT: I think the reason Klopp prefers him to Oblak (other than price) is that he fits Liverpool’s style of play much better. He’s a sweeper keeper that’s good with putting balls down range fast for counter attacks, and plays in a similar defensive system to ours.

Alisson signing for Liverpool would make them title challengers. No doubt. Since VVD’s debut Liverpool have conceded at a rate of 0.66 GA per game. That equates to only 25 over a full season. That was with Karius as GK and Henderson as DM.

Imagine that defensive form, give VVD a preseason, throw Fabinho/Keita and Alisson in there, and you’re realistically looking at conceding less than 20 goals a season

Assuming Liverpool’s addition of Keita and Fekir doesn’t improve us offensively at all, and we score the exact same amount of goals at 84. And then concede let’s say, ~20 goals. That’s a G/D of 64...Chelsea walked away with the league in 2016/17 with a G/D of 52

But of course there’s every reason to believe we will improve offensively. That G/D could easily be 70+. A strong midfield like that, and a goalkeeper like Alisson turns losses/draws into wins. It wins titles. And Liverpool fans should be excited about it.

Enjoy the read!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #513: Jul 16, 2018 05:34:39 pm
      According to Mundo Deportivo LFC have made an offer for Jasper Cillessen the Barcelona 'keeper who is said to be "analysing" the situation.
      Don't shoot the messenger.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,816 posts | 1407 
      Reply #514: Jul 16, 2018 05:37:13 pm
      That link to Cillensen has been rubbished by Dominic King. Says we have ZERO interest in him. Apparently there’s only one keeper that we have interest in (Allison) and we already told his agent before the summer started that we wouldn’t be bidding on him.

ha, yea a few minutes after my post i saw the "we have NO interest in Cillensen" reports. Hard to know whether we are or not interested in either Alisson and Cillensen, but of the 2 i see Cillensen as someone much more likely for us to go after.

Between the CL and world cup games, no one who watched those games would turn off the tv afterwards thinking "that guy Alisson is a world class keeper worth paying 2x the current record for a goalie". Coming off his first and only good season at Roma it's not like he has a proven track record, either. I just don't see Klopp going for that.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,512 posts | 4851 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #515: Jul 16, 2018 06:11:55 pm
      Coming off his first and only good season at Roma it's not like he has a proven track record, either.

At least he's had one good season!
      CT_LFC

• 6,816 posts | 1407 
      Reply #516: Jul 16, 2018 06:33:11 pm

Imagine that defensive form, give VVD a preseason, throw Fabinho/Keita and Alisson in there, and you’re realistically looking at conceding less than 20 goals a season

Some good glue being sniffed over there. Not since '04-'05 has a team conceded less than 20 and it was none other than our friend Mourinho.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #517: Jul 16, 2018 07:19:28 pm
      Think Alisson is the real deal. Would be delighted to get him. Would set us back a few bob but we said that before we got VVD who is so bloody good he looks like good value at the price.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,545 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #518: Jul 16, 2018 07:27:16 pm
      ha, yea a few minutes after my post i saw the "we have NO interest in Cillensen" reports. Hard to know whether we are or not interested in either Alisson and Cillensen, but of the 2 i see Cillensen as someone much more likely for us to go after.

Between the CL and world cup games, no one who watched those games would turn off the tv afterwards thinking "that guy Alisson is a world class keeper worth paying 2x the current record for a goalie". Coming off his first and only good season at Roma it's not like he has a proven track record, either. I just don't see Klopp going for that.

City signed ederson after essentially one good season for benfica
      CT_LFC

• 6,816 posts | 1407 
      Reply #519: Jul 16, 2018 07:31:01 pm
      City signed ederson after essentially one good season for benfica

at half the price of what Alisson is quoted at.
      Kopite78
      Reply #520: Jul 16, 2018 07:41:01 pm

Transfer fees have changed post neymar/Dembele/Coutinho though
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,545 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #521: Jul 16, 2018 07:42:34 pm

Allison's price reflects the fact that he is now brazil's number one and the team he is playing for
      CT_LFC

• 6,816 posts | 1407 
      Reply #522: Jul 16, 2018 08:40:02 pm
      Transfer fees have changed post neymar/Dembele/Coutinho though

After the Neymar release clause there was that wave of high transfers of Dembele, Coutinho and Mbappe (which was agreed to last year despite it not being official until this summer) but since then i don't think we have seen the same craziness continue. Beyond Ronaldo we haven't had any 100M+ transfers this summer to inflate the rest of the market. We were rumored to have agreed Fekir at ~50M which is pretty reasonable. With the way transfers have settled i don't see why Alisson is worth doubling the previous record for a goalie.

Kopite78
      Reply #523: Jul 16, 2018 08:43:29 pm
      After the Neymar release clause there was that wave of high transfers of Dembele, Coutinho and Mbappe (which was agreed to last year despite it not being official until this summer) but since then i don't think we have seen the same craziness continue. Beyond Ronaldo we haven't had any 100M+ transfers this summer to inflate the rest of the market. We were rumored to have agreed Fekir at ~50M which is pretty reasonable. With the way transfers have settled i don't see why Alisson is worth doubling the previous record for a goalie.

Because simply it's supply and demand and a sellers market

We desperately need..  it's obvious we need so the prices will reflect that

English league premium
      Desperate need
      Price hike in fees

If we want we will have to pay somewhere in the region they want

If we have to slightly over pay on a desperate position we need then I'm afraid we will have to swallow that one.
      There's plenty of fat to trim from this squad that will cover it
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #524: Jul 16, 2018 09:23:28 pm

Yea it makes no sense to be interested in him but not going to be bidding for him.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,832 posts | 2459 
      Reply #525: Jul 16, 2018 11:18:19 pm
      The next two days will be very big for us.

We will potentially have deals agreed for Alisson and Fekir.

It will be the difference between us being genuine title contenders or not.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #526: Jul 16, 2018 11:35:07 pm

You know something we don't?  I can see that this window is big thing but the next 2 days?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #527: Jul 17, 2018 12:10:26 am

The word is that Allison and his agent have a meeting with Roma tomorrow and that the club want his future sorted by Friday. If you believe the speculation, Chelsea are hard in for him but we also want him and have the edge, Madrid have pulled out and may go for Courtois.

His agent just liked a picture on Instagram of Allison in a LFC kit.

Fekir deal supposedly still wants a move and obviously we likely want him, but their owner is a massive pr**k so who knows.

Or....we aren’t really in for either of them and we have what we have for the season.

Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #528: Jul 17, 2018 08:17:12 am
      https://twitter.com/WC_LFC_Torres/status/1018690630992658432

Obviously the links with Alisson to Liverpool are what prompted me to make this thread. But as it is entirely possible he also ends up at either Real or Chelsea next year, this will be written primarily with that idea in mind. The idea is that this thread can be read by any fan of any fanbase and learn something about Alisson. So if he goes to Chelsea, Chelsea fans can read this thread to learn about him and get hyped, just like Liverpool fans should he go to Liverpool.

We’ll start with the basics: Name: Alisson Becker Age: 25 Height: 191cm (6’3”) Weight: 91kg (200 lbs) Nationality: Brazil Apps: 45 Clean Sheets: 20 Saves: 126 GA: 44 Saves per Goal: 2.86 WhoScored Rating: 6.91

Alisson rose into prominence this season after Roma offloaded Szczęsny to Juve. Since then he has cemented himself as Brazil’s No. 1 ahead of Ederson and attracted interest from across Europe, particularly from Real Madrid, Liverpool, and Chelsea.

So what makes this keeper so special? Why are Roma able to slap a €80m price tag on a keeper who’s had one good season, and clubs are actually viewing it as only marginally overpriced? For that, let’s look at some stats, and discuss what makes Alisson so desirable.

Keepers are slowly becoming more utilized in build up play and counter attacks than they have been in seasons past. A keeper that’s good with their feet means not only that they won’t crumble under pressure from a striker, but also can pick out passes from the back. Ederson was picked out by Pep for this very reason. While his ability as a keeper is great, it’s not his shot stopping ability that caught Pep’s attention, it was his ability on the ball. Therefore, we’ll use Ederson as the standard to compare against in terms of distribution.

For the next few tweets in this thread, please refer to the graphic below. It should be noted that this graphic was made with a couple months still to play in the season, but as neither of them dropped off in quality during that remaining time it is still valid.

As you can see, Ederson completes a higher percentage of his overall and forward passes, but as we go up the pitch, that’ll change. That said, both keepers are exceptional with their feet. In fact for context on just how good, let’s compare them to some other keepers as well.

No other starting PL keeper completes more than 66.9% of forward passes (Tottenham’s Hugo Lloris). No other Serie A keeper tops 73.6% (Inter’s Samir Handanovic). Manuel Neuer came in at 70.5% in 2016/17. Oblak completed only 31% of forward passes this season, down from 44.4% in 2016/17, but he tends not to play short balls, which transitions us into a new level of specificity with Alisson/Ederson.

We see here that, despite Ederson attempting more passes into the final third, Alisson distinguishes himself notably more up the pitch. He attempts more long passes (beyond 34 metres) and is considerably more successful with them.

Oblak attempted 340 long passes but only connected on 34.1% with 49 toward the final third at 14.3%. De Gea frequently sends the ball long (435 attempts) but more often than not misses (40.5% success), same when going toward the final third (98 attempts, 20.4%)

This strength in distribution is a very key selling point for any top club. With Liverpool and Real both enjoying a fair amount of possession each game, as well as a strong counter-attacking style, Alisson’s ability to put the ball down field quick is invaluable.

Imagine Alisson claiming a corner then quickly putting the ball upfield for Mane/Salah or Bale to take and counter with speed. As CB’s usually push up on corners, this leaves them highly prone to counters. An accurate punt from Alisson could take 8+ players out of the equation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGmeDyTiuPM

You get the point, Alisson’s distribution is insane. But what about his shot stopping ability?

Alisson was rated as the best goalkeeper in Europe last season by WhoScored Squawka rated him as the second best keeper in the world, only behind Ter Stegen But why? Combined with the distribution mentioned earlier, Alisson is an exceptional shot stopper. His save rate of 80.1% was the highest in Serie A, and second highest in Europe behind only Jan Oblak at 85.8%. Only Juventus (24) conceded fewer league goals than Roma (28) in Serie A.

No goalkeeper kept more clean sheets than Alisson (17) in Serie A and he ranked in the top 10 for saves (107) But of course some are (understandably) not convinced by save rate alone. As it doesn’t say anything about the types of shots they faced. For this we look at Expected Goals Against (xGA) vs Goals Against (GA) Expected goals (xG) are computed by identifying the position a shot was taken from and calculating the likelihood that a player would score from that position. This same metric is used to measure xGA.

Therefore, the difference between actual goals against (GA) and xGA effectively measures how well a goalie stopped shots in a season. In other words, if a keeper concedes as many goals as he is expected, then he saved all the shots he was expected to save. With xGA vs GA we are hoping to figure out if Alisson is not only making the saves he is expected to make, but also if he is making the saves he’s NOT expected to make.

Amazingly, Alisson outperformed his xGA in 30 of the 37 games this season, combining for a total of 9.46 fewer goals against than we would expect with a typical keeper. So what if Roma conceded all the goals they were expected to concede as they would with a typical keeper?

If Roma conceded all their xGA as they would with a keeper who makes all the saves a keeper should make, they’d finish 11 points lower in the table, in 6th. The phrase “(insert World Class keeper) is probably worth 10+ points a season” is literal with Alisson. This isn’t even taking into account Alisson’s impact on corners where he has a 90% claim success rate, or his ability as a sweeper keeper in which he prevents several chances from ever including a shot on target at all.

It’s save to say that at the age of only 25, and this being Alisson’s first true test at the top level, he will only improve with age. His looks aren’t bad for marketing either

From here I will talk my completely subjective observations of him based on my experience in watching him play in Serie A. I will also then speak specifically on why I think Liverpool want him toward the end, so if Chelsea/Madrid/Neutral fans stop at that point it’s cool. His reflexes are some of the best I’ve seen in a long time, maybe ever. While I am in no way saying he is better than De Gea, his reflexes very much do remind me of DDG’s.

If there is a downside to him it’s that he does have a tendency to sometimes spill the ball back into play, but no more than most keepers and his insane ability to get up and make double saves makes up for it.

LFC CUT-OFF POINT: I think the reason Klopp prefers him to Oblak (other than price) is that he fits Liverpool’s style of play much better. He’s a sweeper keeper that’s good with putting balls down range fast for counter attacks, and plays in a similar defensive system to ours.

Alisson signing for Liverpool would make them title challengers. No doubt. Since VVD’s debut Liverpool have conceded at a rate of 0.66 GA per game. That equates to only 25 over a full season. That was with Karius as GK and Henderson as DM.

Assuming Liverpool’s addition of Keita and Fekir doesn’t improve us offensively at all, and we score the exact same amount of goals at 84. And then concede let’s say, ~20 goals. That’s a G/D of 64...Chelsea walked away with the league in 2016/17 with a G/D of 52

But of course there’s every reason to believe we will improve offensively. That G/D could easily be 70+. A strong midfield like that, and a goalkeeper like Alisson turns losses/draws into wins. It wins titles. And Liverpool fans should be excited about it.

Enjoy the read!

I was just about to message someone in the group to do precisely what you did because I couldn't work out the best way to get it from twitter to here....lolo

Quick Reply