Voting closed: Feb 03, 2018 09:54:54 pm

Huddersfield Town 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 19786 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Huddersfield Town 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #253: Jan 30, 2018 10:25:57 pm
      so it looks a straight scrap between us and Spurs for top 4.

I was hoping that somebody else could scrap with Spurs for 4th.

I think I'd rather Spurs beat United than the other way round personally.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #254: Jan 30, 2018 10:30:37 pm
      Well, I wasn't expecting this result!
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,968 posts | 1355 
      Reply #255: Jan 30, 2018 10:31:05 pm
      Said some time ago Can is better just in front of Hendo. But Alex Ox can play that position as well. Think Can got in first tonight and might hold the position for the Spurs game. Lallana as well, so Klopp has options in front of the solid midfield Hendo and Milner/Wijnaldum provide.

Mane's position is under pressure for sure. Misfired again tonight. Milner/Lallana can operate down the left so wouldn't be surprised to see Mane on the bench V Spurs.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #256: Jan 30, 2018 10:32:23 pm
      Glad to check in and see we did business. Saw the Arse lost to Swans as well so that’s a pretty good day.

Still wouldn’t mind Jürgen spending some cash in a new keeper mind you. 🤓
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #257: Jan 30, 2018 10:33:36 pm
      Saw the Arse lost to Swans as well so that’s a pretty good day.

Seeing them lose 3-1 makes me feel a bit better about our 1-0.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #258: Jan 30, 2018 10:36:17 pm
      As much as I hate to wish the mancs to win it would be handy if they could turn Spurs over tomorrow night and leave us with a 5 point buffer going into the game at Anfield. With GD we're effectively 8 points clear of the gooners so it looks a straight scrap between us and Spurs for top 4. Obviously Chelsea and the mancs are only just ahead but I suspect they will be a little more consistent than us given both teams play that dour grind it out power football which isn't easy on the eye but gets results.   

That is to all intents and purposes, blasphemy.
      No matter a scum win would benefit our cause.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #259: Jan 30, 2018 10:37:13 pm
      Ah well Huddersfield were absolutely sh*te, job well done by the redmen and everyone got the bad ju ju out of their system!!

Now we can move on to face Spurs at the weekend.
      « Last Edit: Jan 30, 2018 10:54:55 pm by HUYTON RED »
      gopher
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,487 posts | 136 
      Reply #260: Jan 30, 2018 10:41:26 pm
      Can gets my vote good solid hard working performance tonight
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #261: Jan 30, 2018 10:41:48 pm
      Mane got an assist and nearly scored twice. Sure it’s not all calibrated properly just now but form is temporary and class is permanent.

He took a big step tonight.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,208 posts | 1503 
      Reply #262: Jan 30, 2018 10:42:42 pm
      Better performance but to be expected against these really. We did keep a clean sheet so I was gladly wrong there, apart from the prediction League.
      Just good to get some fluidity back, so let’s take that to spurs and give them a spanking !
      Great 3!points tonight, and a spuds v mancs draw tomorrow would be good !
      Motm Hendo for me, with Can a close second.
      Need to take the next step up for Sunday now !
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #263: Jan 30, 2018 10:59:51 pm
      Having watched the last two defeats, I missed tonight's game, and we won... so glad I did my bit.  ;D

Sound's like it was a good game all round. Excellent goal by Firmino especially, and Can's goal looked better than it sounded (BBC just said it as a deflected shot). Didn't look like much deflection from the angle I saw?

Got the 3 points that were crucial here for various reasons...
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #264: Jan 30, 2018 11:01:27 pm
      I was at the game this evening, had to keep quiet as was in the Huddersfield end.

3 things stuck out for me tonight

1. Full backs played relatively well (except for another Gomez ‘commit’ move that resulted in a good cross and strike at goal in the first half)
      2. Mane was everywhere but his control and decision making let him down tonight
      3. All 3 midfielders had a good game, especially Henderson who controlled the flow throughout.

Mind you, Huddersfield were terrible, it’s hard to gauge how good we were because they were SO sh*t
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #265: Jan 30, 2018 11:07:26 pm
      Good result, better that results went our way tonight. Could do with Spurs drawing tomorrow. Just don't F**k it up come the weekend.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #266: Jan 30, 2018 11:17:24 pm
      I was hoping that somebody else could scrap with Spurs for 4th.

I think I'd rather Spurs beat United than the other way round personally.

A draw would be the best but I'd rather a United win. Gives us a 5 point cushion on teams outside top four.

If Spurs won and then beat us they would be ahead of us.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #267: Jan 30, 2018 11:23:06 pm
      Great result unfortunately missed the match as I'm in Belfast for work, never seen such a dead Town on a Tuesday evening!
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #268: Jan 30, 2018 11:24:03 pm
      A draw would be the best but I'd rather a United win. Gives us a 5 point cushion on teams outside top four.

I think United having Sanchez and us selling Couts has pretty much made it so we aren't rivals to them this season. United beating Spurs would of course be better for us, especially if we get 4th by one point over Spurs in May.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #269: Jan 30, 2018 11:33:13 pm

Unless it leads us to winning the league, I never want the Mancs to win. I'd rather Spurs won or they draw and then we just beat Spurs. We owe Spurs after what they done to us last time. In fact, I'd rather be battling it out with Spurs all the way than the Mancs get a good position in the top 4.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #270: Jan 30, 2018 11:41:36 pm
      Only saw the first half and part of the second half as I had to get into work (6:30am kick off here) but was impressed. Not our best outing, but far from our worst. Seemed to be trying a bit more to create chances when the space was tight, and finally it opened up (albeit with some luck, but you gotta create it sometimes). However the move of the day was obviously the Bobby goal - simply sublime. I've occasionally had this thought, and it may be way off, but to me he's like a poor mans Suarez in a way. That's no knock either, he's my favourite LFC player to be honest. My meaning being, while he obviously isn't Suarez in just how magical he was, the things he does, his strength, his tenacity, and the genius goals he can score sometimes - that's what Suarez had, and Bobby clearly has that similar mindset even if he's obviously not Suarez.

Picked Hendo for MOTM, did not think I'd be saying that anytime but his energy and drive in the midfield was refreshing as F**k to see. Seemed to pick the others up a bit as well, exactly what a captain in midfield should be doing. Happy with him and the overall squad today. Any form of multiple goal win today would have been acceptable to me as a bounce back from the last couple, scoring 3 and keeping a clean sheet is above recent form expectations so well happy. Swansea getting a result on the Arse is even better (besides my Liverpool-Arsenal-Juventus acca :D ).
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #271: Jan 30, 2018 11:48:39 pm
      Unless it leads us to winning the league, I never want the Mancs to win. I'd rather Spurs won or they draw and then we just beat Spurs. We owe Spurs after what they done to us last time. In fact, I'd rather be battling it out with Spurs all the way than the Mancs get a good position in the top 4.

Just being realistic.

Its win win anyway. Both teams could drop points and one of them at the very least has to.

I just want Kane getting his 100th PL goal tomorrow and being happy with that and leaving us alone Sunday!

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #272: Jan 30, 2018 11:57:51 pm
      Just being realistic.

Its win win anyway. Both teams could drop points and one of them at the very least has to.

I just want Kane getting his 100th PL goal tomorrow and being happy with that and leaving us alone Sunday!
      i couldn't give a crap about Harry Kane or how many points united finish the season with, along as we stay in champions league we can build on it. The highest chance of that happening is a united win.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #273: Jan 30, 2018 11:59:54 pm
      Very happy and relieved with the win but Huddersfield made that very easy for us, the times they came forward we looked shaky but they hardly ever did.
      Very important win for confidence, if we can beat Spurs then we should be back on track.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #274: Jan 31, 2018 12:07:06 am
      Only saw the first half and part of the second half as I had to get into work (6:30am kick off here) but was impressed. Not our best outing, but far from our worst. Seemed to be trying a bit more to create chances when the space was tight, and finally it opened up (albeit with some luck, but you gotta create it sometimes). However the move of the day was obviously the Bobby goal - simply sublime. I've occasionally had this thought, and it may be way off, but to me he's like a poor mans Suarez in a way. That's no knock either, he's my favourite LFC player to be honest. My meaning being, while he obviously isn't Suarez in just how magical he was, the things he does, his strength, his tenacity, and the genius goals he can score sometimes - that's what Suarez had, and Bobby clearly has that similar mindset even if he's obviously not Suarez.

Picked Hendo for MOTM, did not think I'd be saying that anytime but his energy and drive in the midfield was refreshing as F**k to see. Seemed to pick the others up a bit as well, exactly what a captain in midfield should be doing. Happy with him and the overall squad today. Any form of multiple goal win today would have been acceptable to me as a bounce back from the last couple, scoring 3 and keeping a clean sheet is above recent form expectations so well happy. Swansea getting a result on the Arse is even better (besides my Liverpool-Arsenal-Juventus acca :D ).

Get what you're saying about the Suarez comparison and it was a bit of Suarezesque finishing by Bobby.

Hard to pick out a motm as thought most of the team played well but Firmino, Can, Hendo & Salah all had good games.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #275: Jan 31, 2018 12:11:06 am
      Henderson did have a mad 10 minutes or so in the first half but yeah he had a good game.  Thought Lovren looked amazingly composed on the ball so on that basis - yeah Huddersfield were dire! ;)

Hope the players are looking upwards and not over their shoulders now at the league table - that's the attitude they need in the last 13 games.

Quick Reply