Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Huddersfield?

Loris Karius
      3 (3.7%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      1 (1.2%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      4 (4.9%)
      Emre Can
      34 (41.5%)
      Jordan Henderson
      20 (24.4%)
      James Milner
      4 (4.9%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      3 (3.7%)
      Roberto Firmino
      13 (15.9%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Dominic Solanke
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Voting closed: Feb 03, 2018 09:54:54 pm

Huddersfield Town 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 20057 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Re: Huddersfield Town 0-3 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Jan 31, 2018 12:35:34 am
      I think United having Sanchez and us selling Couts has pretty much made it so we aren't rivals to them this season. United beating Spurs would of course be better for us, especially if we get 4th by one point over Spurs in May.

Give your arse a chance for fucks sake.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #277: Jan 31, 2018 12:42:05 am
      I thought it was a good performance vs a side who really were poor on the evening but whatever 3 points in the bag. I thought the mid-field trio all had moments where they shined during the match and I really enjoy the clever finish on Firmino goal short side.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,988 posts | 238 
      Reply #278: Jan 31, 2018 12:43:05 am
      I couldn't watch the game. But, I am so glad that we won the game. And, Swansea winning 3-1 makes me feel a little better about the 1-0 loss and consider the Liberty stadium as a tough place to go in the second half of the season. Hope for a draw between Spurs and United (can't get myself to hope for a United win whatever the big picture maybe) and that we avenge for that horror show at Wembley by smashing the Spuds during the weekend.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #279: Jan 31, 2018 12:57:57 am
      279 posts only. Just 50 odd since the final whistle.

Good to see all the regulars here tonight. The newbies have been noticeable by not showing up. Wonder why?

They say Klopp and Wagner are best friends. What they don't say is Wagner is a very generous friend. When we're on another slump, maybe we should arrange another game against them so we can collect another comfortable 3 points at walking pace, with no issues and no injuries.

A 6-0 aggregate win against them and 6 points this season. Win on Sunday and we'll still be at least 5 points ahead of those below us with just 12 games to go.

Crisis? What crisis?
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #280: Jan 31, 2018 12:58:57 am
      Just being realistic.

Its win win anyway. Both teams could drop points and one of them at the very least has to.

I just want Kane getting his 100th PL goal tomorrow and being happy with that and leaving us alone Sunday!

As long as both team lost point, win win situation for us.  :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1:

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Re: Live: Huddersfield v Liverpool
      Reply #281: Jan 31, 2018 01:23:14 am
      Really?

13 in 29 last season
      9 in 25 this

Think last season he was more of a focal point, this season he’s a cog in the wheel

Tonight I thought he looked closer. Worked like a dog and made some very good runs off the ball. Yes he missed a couple of chances but I am enouraged. He is still vital for us and will contribute.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #282: Jan 31, 2018 01:50:15 am
      Well I've counseled against overreaction following the previous two matches and I'd say the same thing after tonight. Yes, the result is the main thing and it does lighten the mood a good bit. Nothing bad about tonight.

But as many have noted, Huddersfield were dire and I don't think we'll be seeing anything like that any time soon. I thought Can's goal was a little bit lucky. Sadio and Bobby did well to create that  2nd, but if our keeper had let that one in we'd be burning him in effigy.

Our midfield played well and it shows how vital that midfield is to our side, but they honestly weren't tested. Can for me is still not worth all the poor performances between outings more like tonight's. But it makes quite a positive difference for us when he can be bothered. Henderson played well enough but I  wouldn't really call him dominant, and while Milner always works hard, he lost possession more than a few times tonight. Surely he will be dropped for Gini for the Spurs match.

I back the management team to continue building us into a title-winning side, but there are still some bumps between now and then. Hopefully we can perform as well on Sunday as we did vs. City, and avenge another league loss.

Livershrew
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,580 posts | 391 
      Reply #283: Jan 31, 2018 01:55:02 am
      very nice of jurgens mate to play like that.....good grief.....how the heck do they have 24 points?!

not complaining. exactly what we needed.Easy calm win.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Reply #284: Jan 31, 2018 05:06:09 am
      Good to get back to winning ways and a by a good score line too, must be a decent gap between us and the arse now?
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #285: Jan 31, 2018 05:19:31 am
      Good to get back to winning ways and a by a good score line too, must be a decent gap between us and the arse now?

8 points with games equal, a draw tomorrow between Spurs & United would help massively as well!
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #286: Jan 31, 2018 06:19:40 am
      Haven't seen the highlights yet, but that's a great response lads. 👍
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #287: Jan 31, 2018 07:58:53 am
      Quote from redindian
      Hope for a draw between Spurs and United (can't get myself to hope for a United win whatever the big picture maybe) and that we avenge for that horror show at Wembley by smashing the Spuds during the weekend.

A general point.

If fans want us to have higher ambitions than just 4th, the bigger picture is we will be 3 points off 2nd if Spurs win tonight.

If you just want us to finish 4th and that's that, you can hope that Spurs drop more points at Wembley.

As is standard procedure for a team facing the mancs, I'll be hoping Spurs get their win tonight, and we can then take advantage of the extra day's rest on Sunday to keep our chances of finishing as high as in the table as possible.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,988 posts | 238 
      Reply #288: Jan 31, 2018 08:27:37 am
      A general point.

If fans want us to have higher ambitions than just 4th, the bigger picture is we will be 3 points off 2nd if Spurs win tonight.

If you just want us to finish 4th and that's that, you can hope that Spurs drop more points at Wembley.

As is standard procedure for a team facing the mancs, I'll be hoping Spurs get their win tonight, and we can then take advantage of the extra day's rest on Sunday to keep our chances of finishing as high as in the table as possible.

Actually, as a general rule of thumb I always hope for a boring 0-0 draw when rivals play each other. According to me, that is the best possible scenario for us as both the teams will be dropping points. And, if today's game ends in a stalemate, we will be 4 pts off second. I really don't see much of a difference between between 3 pts off second and 4 pts off second. On the other hand, if our hope of a LFC win on Sunday becomes a reality, Spurs will be 7 pts off us and we will still  be 4 pts off second. Let us build a strong foundation first before dreaming of skyscrapers.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #289: Jan 31, 2018 08:50:03 am
      Lovren to Matip back to Lovren to Robertson to Milner to Lovren to Matip to Gomez to Milner to Matip to Lovren to Robertson to Lovren to Matip to Henderson to Gomez and we still haven't crossed the halfway line :roll:
      Christ almighty, that was like watching paint dry ;D
      BUT WE WON !!! and Huddersfield were dreadful.
      We really needed those 3 points
      Thought the addition of Henderson and Milner in midfield allowed Can to get forward more which was better.
      Mane's first touch was terrible all night and he should've at least hit the target with those two headers in the second half.
      Let Mo can take our penalties from now on ;D

Loud little stadium that was last night and it was great to hear the travelling Kop in full voice all game :scarf:

Who's having spuds with their Sunday dinner? ;D

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2018 02:35:47 pm by 6stringer »
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #290: Jan 31, 2018 10:07:19 am
      Quote from redindian
      Actually, as a general rule of thumb I always hope for a boring 0-0 draw when rivals play each other. According to me, that is the best possible scenario for us as both the teams will be dropping points. And, if today's game ends in a stalemate, we will be 4 pts off second. I really don't see much of a difference between between 3 pts off second and 4 pts off second. On the other hand, if our hope of a LFC win on Sunday becomes a reality, Spurs will be 7 pts off us and we will still  be 4 pts off second. Let us build a strong foundation first before dreaming of skyscrapers.

We set the foundation last season. We should strengthen it this year, as I believe the top 4 is set, even at this stage. There might be some jostling between 2nd and 4th but there is a difference. 4th has to worry about 5th winning the European Cup, as unlikely as it looks. Those above us dont.

The mancs play twice before we play again. If they win both, there will be 9 points and a significant goal difference gap to chase down. There is a big difference between a 3 and a 9 point gap. Whereas if Spurs win tonight, and we win on Sunday as we usually do against them at home, we will retain the 5 point gap and at worst, just three points behind 2nd.

The "Iceberg, Right Ahead!!" crowd that took to their keyboards with gusto over the past week, have accused the owners of a lack of ambition, and the coach of a lack of progress. Well finishing best of the rest this season will show them again, that we have ambition, we're making good progress, and we're well ahead of where we were expected to be at this point in the Klopp project.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,988 posts | 238 
      Reply #291: Jan 31, 2018 10:33:45 am
      We set the foundation last season. We should strengthen it this year, as I believe the top 4 is set, even at this stage. There might be some jostling between 2nd and 4th but there is a difference. 4th has to worry about 5th winning the European Cup, as unlikely as it looks. Those above us dont.

The mancs play twice before we play again. If they win both, there will be 9 points and a significant goal difference gap to chase down. There is a big difference between a 3 and a 9 point gap. Whereas if Spurs win tonight, and we win on Sunday as we usually do against them at home, we will retain the 5 point gap and at worst, just three points behind 2nd.

The "Iceberg, Right Ahead!!" crowd that took to their keyboards with gusto over the past week, have accused the owners of a lack of ambition, and the coach of a lack of progress. Well finishing best of the rest this season will show them again, that we have ambition, we're making good progress, and we're well ahead of where we were expected to be at this point in the Klopp project.

Your posts are a bit contradictory. While you want supporters to aim high, you are satisfied with a "best of the rest" trophy. Finishing best of the rest isn't ambition. Arsenal did it a couple of times in the recent past.

As the defeat to Swansea wasn't disastrous, the victory over Huddersfield isn't revolutionary. But, the defeat to WBA was a kick in the gut because that was our only realistic chance of winning a trophy. Progress isn't finishing second and going trophy less. Progress,  this season,  would have meant a top 4 spot again and a domestic trophy.  If we go on and win the CL, only then would it mean that we are well ahead of where we are expected to be,not  finishing second.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #292: Jan 31, 2018 10:58:03 am
      I never said there was a best of the rest trophy. Considering the fact the title was decided in October, us finishing 2nd this year is a good season. Even more so when we were in mid table back then, were 6th in mid December, and finishing 4th last year.

Arsenal are in Year 21 of the Wenger regime. We're in Year 2 of the Klopp project, and are now comfortably ahead of them. It's not even 2 years since we were 6 places below them with no European football to look forward to. Chelsea were 15 points ahead of us last season, we're now just 2 goals behind them. Spurs finished well ahead of us the past two years, we're now ahead of them.

We all want trophies, but finishing 2nd this year will be relative progress, laying down a marker to our rivals for next season and beyond, and the greater our chances of signing better quality players. If that isn't good enough, well there's not a lot else we can do until August.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #293: Jan 31, 2018 10:59:50 am
      279 posts only. Just 50 odd since the final whistle.

Yeah, you'd have twice the number for a loss.
      Some only crawl out when there's bad news.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #294: Jan 31, 2018 11:29:11 am
      Solid , workmanlike victory

And nothing wrong with those at all

Just need Kane to do a hammy tonight and someone like Son to get a late red to help us on sunday.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #295: Jan 31, 2018 11:32:16 am
      Lovren to Matip back to Lovren to Robertson to Milner to Lovren to Matip to Gomez to Milner to Matip to Lovren to Robertson to Loren to Matip to Henderson to Gomez and we still haven't crossed the halfway line :roll:
      Christ almighty, that was like watching paint dry ;D
      BUT WE WON !!! and Huddersfield were dreadful.
      We really needed those 3 points
      Thought the addition of Henderson and Milner in midfield allowed Can to get forward more which was better.
      Mane's first touch was terrible all night and he should've at least hit the target with those two headers in the second half.
      Let Mo can take our penalties from now on ;D

Loud little stadium that was last night and it was great to hear the travelling Kop in full voice all game :scarf:

Who's having spuds with their Sunday dinner? ;D

I could do with a few sedate performances from us from now until the end of the season. Will look like Shane MacGowan by the end of the season at this rate.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #296: Jan 31, 2018 11:37:31 am
      Solid , workmanlike victory

And nothing wrong with those at all

Just need Kane to do a hammy tonight and someone like Son to get a late red to help us on sunday.

I never hope for injuries to opponents but it would be damned convenient if Spurs lost Kane for a few games so we can really create some distance down to them and Arsenal.

I want tonight's game to be scrappy and physical with lots of niggles being picked up, hopefully a red card for Sanchez, and if anyone has to win please let it be Spurs but only by 1 goal so they don't get to confident before the weekend.
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #297: Jan 31, 2018 11:52:59 am
      Unless it leads us to winning the league, I never want the Mancs to win.
      100% agree on this!  Even though it isn't necessarily the best for us, I can't help but take more pleasure from them losing or failing to win!!  Been like that since the '77 cup final!!!  The only grudge I've ever held in my life!!!!
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #298: Jan 31, 2018 12:58:24 pm
      Having watched the last two defeats, I missed tonight's game, and we won... so glad I did my bit.  ;D

Sound's like it was a good game all round. Excellent goal by Firmino especially, and Can's goal looked better than it sounded (BBC just said it as a deflected shot). Didn't look like much deflection from the angle I saw?

Got the 3 points that were crucial here for various reasons...

Not only that but your beloved Mingnolet did his bit too albeit from the stands. ;)

Quick Reply