Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Transfer Deadline day - happy with our business?

Read 10961 times
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Re: Transfer Deadline day - happy with our business?
      Reply #46: Jan 31, 2018 09:27:23 pm
      The party line in the summer was that the issue with Barcelona's bid for Coutinho was a matter of timing. It came too late, that is, too close to the start of the season, and we were supposedly unwilling to do business because of that - it would be difficult to react/replace him.

If that was the case (and not just usual bullshit), then what changed in January? Yeah, sure, we received an offer early in the window; but if we are now going with the line that there are no replacements available in January (and we'd rather wait), then why the F**k did we sell him in this window?

The premise that we would be unable to replace him stands in both cases. So all of that just stinks of excuses really.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #47: Jan 31, 2018 09:36:22 pm
      The party line in the summer was that the issue with Barcelona's bid for Coutinho was a matter of timing. It came too late, that is, too close to the start of the season, and we were supposedly unwilling to do business because of that - it would be difficult to react/replace him.

If that was the case (and not just usual bullshit), then what changed in January? Yeah, sure, we received an offer early in the window; but if we are now going with the line that there are no replacements available in January (and we'd rather wait), then why the f**k did we sell him in this window?

The premise that we would be unable to replace him stands in both cases. So all of that just stinks of excuses really.

Yep, said all along we should never have completed a deal till we already had a deal agreed for his replacement.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #48: Jan 31, 2018 09:45:10 pm

If that was the case (and not just usual bullshit), then what changed in January? Yeah, sure, we received an offer early in the window; but if we are now going with the line that there are no replacements available in January (and we'd rather wait), then why the f**k did we sell him in this window?

Yep and there is the rub.

Sick of the F***ing lies to be honest from FSG they are taking us fans as absolute mugs don't be surprised if Jürgen ends up walking in the end.

We will end up with Eddie Howe and the vicious cycle will continue.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #49: Jan 31, 2018 09:47:36 pm
      Last 6 windows.

Jan '18 TOTAL SPENT: -£68.8m

Summer '17 TOTAL SPENT: £29M

Jan '17 TOTAL SPENT: -£3M

Summer '16 TOTAL SPENT: -£8.9M

Jan '16 TOTAL SPENT: £1.4M

Summer '15 TOTAL SPENT: £15.5
      M

Someone is taking the piss.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #50: Jan 31, 2018 09:57:57 pm
      Look...

Klopp only wants certain players. If he can't get them then no one will come in. That's good business for me, no need to sign someone 'just cause'.

VvD is a massive plus, Phil is a massive minus. Would have loved another striking option, if Bobby gets an injury we are up sh*t creek.

That's not necessarily in the best interests of the club.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #51: Jan 31, 2018 10:03:15 pm
      Last 6 windows.

Jan '18 TOTAL SPENT: -£68.8m

Summer '17 TOTAL SPENT: £29M

Jan '17 TOTAL SPENT: -£3M

Summer '16 TOTAL SPENT: -£8.9M

Jan '16 TOTAL SPENT: £1.4M

Summer '15 TOTAL SPENT: £15.5
      M

Someone is taking the piss.
      so  -11m netspend overall in those seasons. it is utter BS! FSG out I think. Club is making enough money to have a + Netspend every window.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #52: Jan 31, 2018 10:04:42 pm
      That's not necessarily in the best interests of the club.

I completely disagree. Panic buys, last minute rushed deals and punts on players rarely if ever work. We've seen it with Balo's panic buy and the reams of tat that we went for from Aspas to Markovic and beyond.

If Klopp wants someone, good. If he's not on the list, then they don't come in. We all wanted rid of the transfer committee making signings and give the manager full autonomy, well this is what it looks like.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #53: Jan 31, 2018 10:06:30 pm
      so  -11m netspend overall in those seasons. it is utter BS! FSG out I think. Club is making enough money to have a + Netspend every window.

Plus the TV money, sponsor money etc, I get the over heads, but this out lay is suspicious.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      Reply #54: Jan 31, 2018 10:09:20 pm
      So who is going to stay up 'til Midnight.... anyone remember those days?
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,543 posts | 1481 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #55: Jan 31, 2018 10:09:53 pm
      No. If our players were consistent and played like against Huddersfield 9 out of 10 times I'd make do, but you can't rely on players like Can to perform every game, although I'm hoping Hendo being back has freed him a little and we see a more constant version of him now.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #56: Jan 31, 2018 10:10:12 pm
      I completely disagree. Panic buys, last minute rushed deals and punts on players rarely if ever work. We've seen it with Balo's panic buy and the reams of tat that we went for from Aspas to Markovic and beyond.

If Klopp wants someone, good. If he's not on the list, then they don't come in. We all wanted rid of the transfer committee making signings and give the manager full autonomy, well this is what it looks like.
      so why do we sit there saying the right players aren't available then Spurs sign Moura, who was a bargain for Spurs.. 25m for a goal every 4 games winger? He's on par with Coutinho. I am sick of Klopp being FSG mouthpeace and saying right players aren't available, if he is not their mouthpeace and he thinks that then he is an idiot if he really thinks there aren't options out there, our rivals don't seem to have problems signing them.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #57: Jan 31, 2018 10:14:43 pm
      So who is going to stay up 'til Midnight.... anyone remember those days?

With the prospect of us signing anyone, or lack of it, I for one won’t be hanging around at 11 !
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #58: Jan 31, 2018 10:24:00 pm
      so why do we sit there saying the right players aren't available then Spurs sign Moura, who was a bargain for Spurs.. 25m for a goal every 4 games winger? He's on par with Coutinho. I am sick of Klopp being FSG mouthpeace and saying right players aren't available, if he is not their mouthpeace and he thinks that then he is an idiot if he really thinks there aren't options out there, our rivals don't seem to have problems signing them.

Again, I imagine they will have had a look and said 'no thanks'.

25m looks like a good deal, but I think Klopp would rather save that for the players he knows he wants to come in, not ones he thinks might be good.

If you think he's an FSG mouthpiece fair enough, but I would think long and hard about if that's Klopp's style, because I don't see it.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #59: Jan 31, 2018 10:32:38 pm

25m looks like a good deal, but I think Klopp would rather save that for the players he knows he wants to come in, not ones he thinks might be good.

If you think he's an FSG mouthpiece fair enough, but I would think long and hard about if that's Klopp's style, because I don't see it.
      This is Klopps Style.

Klopp: Hey FSG, that Lucas Moura looks good. I think the fans would appreciate that signing, just 25m of the Coutinho money.
      FSG: You know the Coutinho money went on Kieta, VVD.
      Klopp: There's still a bit left over
      FSG: I would sanction it but Lallana has just came off the injury list, don't forget we purchased an iPad for you.
      Klopp: How am I going to tell the fans
      FSG: Just say we have all the players we need and remind them of Lallana, also tell the fans you have a list of players on your iPad.
      Klopp: Can we buy any of the players from the list?
      FSG: We will think about Moura if Salah is sold.

Meanwhile somewhere south of Anfield:

Pochettino: Hey.. I heard Klopp wanted Moura but FSG wouldn't buy him.
      ENIC: Snap him up.
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2018 10:37:42 pm by Ribapuru »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #60: Jan 31, 2018 10:32:54 pm
      I've never particularly rated Lucas Moura so I'm not really concerned about Spurs getting him. He's never really lived up to the hype IMO, and that's in a very weak league too. Now if City had gotten Mahrez, I'd have been pretty gutted about that...well, maybe not at £90mill but you get my point.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #61: Jan 31, 2018 10:36:55 pm

I’m pretty sure Jürgen would  like to have made more signings.

I don’t think he’s getting adequately backed BUT it  seems that he is getting backed in line with HIS expectations if not necessarily his ASPIRATIONS.

But this is the thing - just because I think X player is worth a pop doesn’t mean he does. So if it comes down to Lucas Moura or Isco (not the same - I know - but follow me for a moment) just because we would take LM doesn’t mean Klopp will.

I think - have said it before - that is what sets him apart. He is the only one who truly understands how his relationship with the board is and how they collectively work recruitment. My suspicion is that the scouting team bring him talent - he shortlists and prioritises and it’s up to the club to get. I think the scouting team push hard their preferences but it seems to me that he’ll hold firm for his target UNLESS he feels they’re interchangeable.

THAT doesn’t make him a mouth / patsy - it means he controls what he can. Nobody comes in unless he ultimately approves. He completely understands his brand and knows that top end players will play for him and LFC.

Those are massive luxuries BR never enjoyed.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #62: Jan 31, 2018 10:37:40 pm
      Say what you like but in the end it all comes down to money. We don't have it!
      Just like the time we didn't buy Dempsey for £4 in the January window because there wouldn't have been the huge £12-million fee available for Sturridge in the summer.
      Coutinho paid for Van Dijk and Keita, anyone disputing that has a problem seeing what's right in front of them. Whatever money is left over will make up the Summer budget plus sales IMO.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #63: Jan 31, 2018 10:40:46 pm

I never said panic buys. Klopp didn't want Salah, he wanted to wait for the one he wanted. The TC pushed Salah on him and we all know how that's turned out. Right now he's taking a huge gamble with the club's future by weakening the squad at a time that everyone we're competing against is strengthening. As I said, Klopp's intransigence is not necessarily in the best interests of the club.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #64: Jan 31, 2018 10:41:48 pm
      Say what you like but in the end it all comes down to money. We don't have it!
      Just like the time we didn't buy Dempsey for £4 in the January window because there wouldn't have been the huge £12-million fee available for Sturridge in the summer.
      Coutinho paid for Van Dijk and Keita, anyone disputing that has a problem seeing what's right in front of them. Whatever money is left over will make up the Summer budget plus sales IMO.
      FSG are treating the club like a cash cow... the problem is some fans including myself was not aware of the extent of the problem until this window... I was not the hugest admirer of Rafa but I would take him back now because he has the cojanes to speak out about it. FSG are just turning into Gillet and Hicks now.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #65: Jan 31, 2018 10:42:30 pm
      This is Klopps Style.

Klopp: Hey FSG, that Lucas Moura looks good. I think the fans would appreciate that signing, just 25m of the Coutinho money.
      FSG: You know the Coutinho money went on Kieta, VVD.
      Klopp: There's still a bit left over
      FSG: I would sanction it but Lallana has just came off the injury list, don't forget we purchased an iPad for you.
      Klopp: How am I going to tell the fans
      FSG: Just say we have all the players we need and remind them of Lallana, also tell the fans you have a list of players on your iPad.
      Klopp: Can we buy any of the players from the list?
      FSG: We will think about Moura if Salah is sold.

Meanwhile somewhere south of Anfield:

Pochettino: Hey.. I heard Klopp wanted Moura but FSG wouldn't buy him.
      ENIC: Snap him up.

Christ give me a break. Put the tinfoil hat down.

Coutinho money spent 6 months before he is sold on a player that won't arrive until 6 months after he leaves. Right.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #66: Jan 31, 2018 10:43:38 pm
      I never said panic buys. Klopp didn't want Salah, he wanted to wait for the one he wanted. The TC pushed Salah on him and we all know how that's turned out. Right now he's taking a huge gamble with the club's future by weakening the squad at a time that everyone we're competing against is strengthening. As I said, Klopp's intransigence is not necessarily in the best interests of the club.

This is the first I've seen about Klopp not wanting Salah
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #67: Jan 31, 2018 10:44:15 pm
      Christ give me a break. Put the tinfoil hat down.

Coutinho money spent 6 months before he is sold on a player that won't arrive until 6 months after he leaves. Right.
      We obviously knew Coutinho was going when we signed Kieta, we probably thought it would have been in the summer though. We knew exactly when Coutinho was going when signing VVD. We have not even paid for Kieta yet, that is something that will be done in the summer of 2018.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #68: Jan 31, 2018 10:44:36 pm
      I never said panic buys. Klopp didn't want Salah, he wanted to wait for the one he wanted. The TC pushed Salah on him and we all know how that's turned out. As I said, Klopp's intransigence is not necessarily in the best interests of the club.

I don’t think they pushed Mo on him - I think he wasn’t his first choice but when that wasn’t possible he was prepared to make this compromise based on
      the intel and despite earlier reservations.

For me your hypothesis doesn’t work or we would be signing more not less, just lower quality.

Quick Reply