Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The remainder of the 2017-18 campaign

Read 20700 times
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Re: The remainder of the 2017-18 campaign
      Reply #161: Apr 26, 2018 11:03:41 am
      Just learned something this morning. The CL final will be played this year during Ramadan. We have 3 Muslim players - Can, Mane & Salah.

They will have to be fasting for the 10 days leading up to and including the CL final date.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #162: Apr 26, 2018 01:14:45 pm
      Just learned something this morning. The CL final will be played this year during Ramadan. We have 3 Muslim players - Can, Mane & Salah.

They will have to be fasting for the 10 days leading up to and including the CL final date.

The fasting is during daylight hours. A meal is eaten before sunrise and after sunset.

Technically, there is no  drinking during those 15 hours, either. NONE.

But a number of Muslim athletes (Mo Farah comes to mind) seem to get permission, when food and hydration are essential, to eat and drink normally and make up for the missed time later on. They also might give more to charity or something like that. Don't know exactly what Mo has planned, but I am officially not worrying about this beginning now. :-)
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #163: Apr 26, 2018 01:36:49 pm
      The fasting is during daylight hours. A meal is eaten before sunrise and after sunset.

Technically, there is no  drinking during those 15 hours, either. NONE.

But a number of Muslim athletes (Mo Farah comes to mind) seem to get permission, when food and hydration are essential, to eat and drink normally and make up for the missed time later on. They also might give more to charity or something like that. Don't know exactly what Mo has planned, but I am officially not worrying about this beginning now. :-)

It is a serious concern for Salah and for all Muslims who are professional sportsmen and women. I mentioned on here the other day that Peter Knowles, a great striker for Wolves gave up the game for religious reasons. So we have to respect whatever Salah and others decide. May be they will ask for special permission to suspend their fasting. But it will obviously be their decision.
      Harrisimo

• 7,966 posts | 1355 
      Reply #164: Apr 26, 2018 01:40:22 pm
      Also gutted for Alex Ox. Terrible injury. Misses the World cup as well. Just getting into it for us. Reestablishing his career after losing his way a bit at Arsenal. Hope he come back to full strength next season.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #165: Apr 26, 2018 01:40:53 pm
      It is a serious concern for Salah and for all Muslims who are professional sportsmen and women. I mentioned on here the other day that Peter Knowles, a great striker for Wolves gave up the game for religious reasons. So we have to respect whatever Salah and others decide. May be they will ask for special permission to suspend their fasting. But it will obviously be their decision.

As I say, me worrying about won't help anything - and there is precedent for athletes to make arrangements.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #166: Apr 26, 2018 01:49:20 pm

"An imam [a Muslim religious leader] told me that, for each of the 30 days I didn't fast, I'd need to fast for a month as penance," the rower recalls.

Unwilling to spend two and half years only eating in darkness, Sbihi searched for an alternative in the scriptures.

He discovered - via a cousin in Tangiers and a chance conversation with feted middle-distance runner Hicham El Guerrouj, who also missed fasts during his glittering career - that the Koran would permit him to feed 60 poor people every day for 30 days instead.

He paid for 1,800 meals at a cost of £3,000.

"It's a large sum of money and I'd love to have it back, but knowing why I spent it makes me happy," he says. "It felt important.

"I gave a cheque to a charity called Walou4us, which helps street kids in North Africa, and cash to my family in Morocco to spread about to those who needed it most, because those people would be more likely to accept it from them."

Link

Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #167: Apr 26, 2018 02:00:48 pm

"An imam [a Muslim religious leader] told me that, for each of the 30 days I didn't fast, I'd need to fast for a month as penance," the rower recalls.

Unwilling to spend two and half years only eating in darkness, Sbihi searched for an alternative in the scriptures.

He discovered - via a cousin in Tangiers and a chance conversation with feted middle-distance runner Hicham El Guerrouj, who also missed fasts during his glittering career - that the Koran would permit him to feed 60 poor people every day for 30 days instead.

"It's a large sum of money and I'd love to have it back, but knowing why I spent it makes me happy," he says. "It felt important.

"I gave a cheque to a charity called Walou4us, which helps street kids in North Africa, and cash to my family in Morocco to spread about to those who needed it most, because those people would be more likely to accept it from them."

Link

There will be a hat passed around The Kop on Saturday for the Mo Salah Relief Foundation!

actually....
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #168: Apr 26, 2018 02:11:09 pm

Link

That actually seems a hell of a lot more sensible than starving yourself for 30 days. If all muslims did this we could wipe out world hunger, at least for a month :-)
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #169: Apr 28, 2018 05:45:22 pm
      We won’t be getting any favours from Swansea they are 1 down already plus Cjelsea and Conte seem to have found their form again.

Would be funny if we finished 5th and won the Cup.

I think we’ll make the final but will spent come the game at Chelsea so will need to win the final game of the season at home to Brighton.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #170: Apr 28, 2018 05:52:38 pm
      We won’t be getting any favours from Swansea they are 1 down already plus Cjelsea and Conte seem to have found their form again.

Would be funny if we finished 5th and won the Cup.

I think we’ll make the final but will spent come the game at Chelsea so will need to win the final game of the season at home to Brighton.

We dont want to be playing the final with any further pressure. Honestly if we somehow find a way to start next season in the Europa League the footballing world would piss themselves laughing at us.

We've fu**ed it up so far getting 3 points from 9 against sh*t like Everton, West Brom and Stoke. Theres still a lot that would have to go wrong to not finish 4th with Chelsea having to have won 6 in a row and us having to lose to Chelsea and fail to beat Brighton.

From jubilation after 75 mins against Roma to this uneasy feeling I have now has been a real 180.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #171: Apr 28, 2018 08:53:42 pm
      We dont want to be playing the final with any further pressure. Honestly if we somehow find a way to start next season in the Europa League the footballing world would piss themselves laughing at us.

We've fu**ed it up so far getting 3 points from 9 against sh*t like Everton, West Brom and Stoke. Theres still a lot that would have to go wrong to not finish 4th with Chelsea having to have won 6 in a row and us having to lose to Chelsea and fail to beat Brighton.

From jubilation after 75 mins against Roma to this uneasy feeling I have now has been a real 180.

Fully agree.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #172: Apr 29, 2018 12:01:00 am
      Worth noting (if ive got this right) that serial bottlers Spurs (the only team to finish 3rd in a 2 horse race) also have to win alot of their games too to keep us out.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #173: Apr 29, 2018 01:32:34 am
      Shouldn't have to be up to what others do.

We should be getting the job done by ourselves instead of relying on others to F**k up!
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #174: Apr 29, 2018 06:22:15 am
      Shouldn't have to be up to what others do.

We should be getting the job done by ourselves instead of relying on others to f**k up!

We are not reliant on others. Its still very much in our own hands, even if we f**k up at the Bridge. We beat Brighton and we are through. It was the same situation last year and we did it by a point. This year, may be due to a better GD.

But who f**king cares. 4th is 4th and unlike last time, this time we might be in a CL final by the time we finish 4th in the league!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #175: Apr 29, 2018 06:35:19 am
      We are not reliant on others. Its still very much in our own hands, even if we f**k up at the Bridge. We beat Brighton and we are through. It was the same situation last year and we did it by a point. This year, may be due to a better GD.

But who f**king cares. 4th is 4th and unlike last time, this time we might be in a CL final by the time we finish 4th in the league!

F***ing hope so Vicks.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #176: Apr 29, 2018 12:35:19 pm
      Just wish we had this sorted by now. Wish we could go to the Bridge and not give a sh*te.

Can we ever do things the easy way for once!
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #177: Apr 29, 2018 12:49:55 pm
      Roma won their games last week and this week, probably resting players in the process. They're also looking to secure qualification for next season, and were their games any more difficult than ours?

This should have been wrapped up weeks ago. So we really could put all our energies into what's left of the European campaign. If we could destroy City in 3 games, West Brom and Stoke should have been a walk in the park. Instead we'll probably have to face Brighton with a full strength team to finally get over the line.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #178: Apr 29, 2018 12:58:40 pm
      We have just got to go to the Bridge and   hit the chavs hard and quick. There is no room left for error now. It's simple if we beat them we are in the top 4 wether it's 3rd  or 4th it doesn't matter. The Roma game will take care if itself, we'll either go to the final or not. What we don't want is going to the final and having that pressure of if we don't win the CL we won't be in it next year. We've got a job to do domestically, which should have been done and dusted by now but it is what it is. Our injury list isn't helping either but our management team are paid well to deal with these situations. So it's bottom line is beat Roma then beat the chavs and we're home and dry.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Reply #179: Apr 29, 2018 01:00:04 pm
      Roma won their games last week and this week, probably resting players in the process. They're also looking to secure qualification for next season, and were their games any more difficult than ours?

This should have been wrapped up weeks ago. So we really could put all our energies into what's left of the European campaign. If we could destroy City in 3 games, West Brom and Stoke should have been a walk in the park. Instead we'll probably have to face Brighton with a full strength team to finally get over the line.

There is like 14 days between the Brighton game and the Cl Final. I don't think there is anything wrong in fielding a strong team against Brighton.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,321 posts | 1016 
      Reply #180: Apr 29, 2018 01:01:38 pm
      SPAL and Chievo. I would say their games were far easier than ours.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #181: Apr 29, 2018 01:25:06 pm
      There is like 14 days between the Brighton game and the Cl Final. I don't think there is anything wrong in fielding a strong team against Brighton.

And a full week before the match. Yesterday should be the end of any issue with fixture congestion, assuming the occasion on Wednesday eliminates any issue with physical or mental fatigue.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #182: Apr 29, 2018 02:37:29 pm
      I think it is almost like having  2 cup finals in five days. Although unlike a cup final, a draw in both cases will be sufficient. Having said that as usual, the Reds seem to do it the hard way. Making the season a real roller coaster ride, for the fans.

Quick Reply