Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Tue 16th Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 25th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W2 D1 L4

News Stories Feb 2018

Read 637 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Re: News Stories Feb 2018
      Reply #75: Feb 28, 2018 04:22:10 pm
      I see John Major is absolutely slamming the Tories and Theresa May.

When it's an ex Tory Prime Minister from another era showing a better understanding of Brexit than the current crop you know they're heading into troubled waters. More so when Labour are starting to outflank them on Brexit terms and conditions.

« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2018 04:49:37 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      heimdall
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,835 posts | 2278 
      Reply #76: Feb 28, 2018 06:24:37 pm
      I see John Major is absolutely slamming the Tories and Theresa May.

When it's an ex Tory Prime Minister from another era showing a better understanding of Brexit than the current crop you know they're heading into troubled waters. More so when Labour are starting to outflank them on Brexit terms and conditions.

Do you know what I'd find very f**king refreshing from one of our former prime ministers, if just one of the spineless cu*ts could condemn the EU for trying to split up the UK, seriously why is no one criticising the EU for behaving like bullies in this negotiation.

The more the EU keeps pushing the more likely they don't get their £40bn, and if they don't get their $40bn then they are really really fu**ed, far more than the UK will be under WTO.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #77: Feb 28, 2018 07:43:09 pm
      Do you know what I'd find very f**king refreshing from one of our former prime ministers, if just one of the spineless cu*ts could condemn the EU for trying to split up the UK, seriously why is no one criticising the EU for behaving like bullies in this negotiation.

The more the EU keeps pushing the more likely they don't get their £40bn, and if they don't get their $40bn then they are really really fu**ed, far more than the UK will be under WTO.
      I don't think we will pay 40billion without having input from the public. Public can't just say we want brexit now get us a good deal, this is essentially what we voted for. The public voted to stop piling money into EU so paying that would be a betrayal. I think that the EU has become too much unified in its processes, it needs segregation so the trade union is not compiled with open boarders, bailouts and development projects. It's like going to Tesco for a bag of Doritos on sale, but being told only sold to people who also give two bags of Doritos to the store, in addition to letting people in your home to eat your Doritos and putting money in a pot so the whole street can eat Doritos.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #78: Feb 28, 2018 08:28:54 pm

There's only one institution in this whole process that is trying to split up the UK and that is the UK government itself. Time and time again, before the referendum and after it, it was warned that a leave vote would threaten the status of the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic and further warned when the decision was taken by Theresa May last year to pursue a hard Brexit which would take us out of the relevant institutions that would have prevented such a scandal from taking place. The incandescent rage displayed by Theresa May this afternoon over the EU draft only serves to heighten the surreal lack of capability, knowledge and foresight she and the rest of them have displayed.

It speaks volumes about the Brexiteers that an issue as delicate and as blood stained as Northern Ireland could be so irrelevant when it came to the consequences of voting leave. 'Nevermind' the Brexit evangelists say 'we'll just blame the EU, the ROI and failing that the 'Bremoaners'. True to form, that is exactly what they have done today. Brexiteers and only the Brexiteers have chosen to tear up the Good Friday Agreement, seeing it as nothing more than a piece of scrap paper. That said when trying to view it from a Brexit process the GFA is easily dismissed when delusions over Britain's supposed gained power after leaving the EU is tantamount to believing in a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, delusions so strong that even at this stage such fairy tales are still believed.

Far from acting like bullies, the EU have merely acted in the best interests of those across Ireland (who did NOT choose to be in this situation) and the north (which voted, quite confidently, to remain), recognising the pained history and sheer political effort it took to get to the Good Friday Agreement and beyond. To not believe that would be to hold Ireland in complete contempt which isn't surprising seeing as contempt and division (along with an infinite supply of denial) is what spurs the Brexit movement along. 
      « Last Edit: Feb 28, 2018 08:34:06 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #79: Feb 28, 2018 09:04:17 pm
      There's only one institution in this whole process that is trying to split up the UK and that is the UK government itself.
      I know you are Scottish and maybe you voted SNP, I don't know, but surely only SNP are trying to split UK. UK government could accidentally split the UK, but the word trying is key to your original statement.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #80: Feb 28, 2018 10:15:47 pm
      I know you are Scottish and maybe you voted SNP, I don't know, but surely only SNP are trying to split UK. UK government could accidentally split the UK, but the word trying is key to your original statement.

Aside from that quote being a direct response to heimdall's quote (you'd think that'd be obvious if you cared to read heimdall's post)...

The UK government's flippant attitude to the Northern Ireland question is so extreme that you can only presume that they are attempting to use Northern Ireland as a device to wedge further division that seeks to undermine their enemies.

They clearly see Northern Ireland as expendable.

So 'trying' is the word here even if you are getting somewhat sidetracked...again.

As for my own circumstances it means f**k all whether I vote SNP or not but for your own interest I don't vote SNP. The SNP don't feature in this particular matter but very much do have a legitimate role in the Brexit process seeing as they are governing Scotland. Unfortunately for them and the other devolved region (as perfectly shown by their attitude over Northern Ireland) they are being completely sidelined by the UK government.

This is very much a Brexit driven by a Little England cabal.
      « Last Edit: Feb 28, 2018 10:32:38 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #81: Feb 28, 2018 11:06:30 pm
      Aside from that quote being a direct response to heimdall's quote (you'd think that'd be obvious if you cared to read heimdall's post)...

The UK government's flippant attitude to the Northern Ireland question is so extreme that you can only presume that they are attempting to use Northern Ireland as a device to wedge further division that seeks to undermine their enemies.

They clearly see Northern Ireland as expendable.

So 'trying' is the word here even if you are getting somewhat sidetracked...again.

As for my own circumstances it means f**k all whether I vote SNP or not but for your own interest I don't vote SNP. The SNP don't feature in this particular matter but very much do have a legitimate role in the Brexit process seeing as they are governing Scotland. Unfortunately for them and the other devolved region (as perfectly shown by their attitude over Northern Ireland) they are being completely sidelined by the UK government.

This is very much a Brexit driven by a Little England cabal.
      I did read Heimdall's post, there are some articles online about EU wanting to split Northern Ireland from UK, but you said UK government is. It is incorrect because it is the public who voted Brexit, not the government. SNP on the other hand are constantly campaigning for a second referendum to the point they are hemorrhaging voters. To say "only UK government is trying to split UK" is factually incorrect. UK government is not trying to split the UK. Scottish government is the ONLY one doing that. Whatever way you try to wriggle out of it, below is simply false.

There's only one institution in this whole process that is trying to split up the UK and that is the UK government itself.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #82: Feb 28, 2018 11:27:40 pm
      I did read Heimdall's post, there are some articles online about EU wanting to split Northern Ireland from UK, but you said UK government is. It is incorrect because it is the public who voted Brexit, not the government. SNP on the other hand are constantly campaigning for a second referendum to the point they are hemorrhaging voters. To say "only UK government is trying to split UK" is factually incorrect. UK government is not trying to split the UK. Scottish government is the ONLY one doing that. Whatever way you try to wriggle out of it, below is simply false.

Christ almighty - how f**king hard is it for you to understand that the comment was made in context of the EU vs the UK seeing as it is those TWO entities that are in DIRECT negotiations with each other and the matter of the Northern Ireland border.

As for your glib statement that you've read articles - patently you haven't. And what you mean by 'it's the public that voted Brexit, not the UK government' in relation to the UK government's actions of pursuing a hard Brexit that means that such actions are endangering the NI peace process...well only you know. Please clarify because most of what you've said is to the point of being self parody. That the public voted for Brexit has f**k all on what course of action the government decides to take after htat.

I'll spell out to you what you clearly don't know. If Theresa May had decided to pursue a Brexit, one that seeks to stay in the customs union and the single market, then the Irish border does not become an issue. But that they have chosen to pursue one that takes us out of the customs union and single market puts the Irish border in an uncompromising position. You cannot leave the customs union, the single market and keep in tact the pre-existing situation in Northern Ireland. SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE. If you don't want a hard border, don't leave the customs union. The UK government wants to leave the customs union but don't want to have a hard border - acting like a spoilt child and seemingly supported by spoilt children. The fate of the Northern Ireland question is decided entirely by what sort of Brexit the UK government wants to pursue. That you seem to believe that everything is done and dusted on the whim of a referendum result shows just how naive you are. I'll also wait for you to pull up the articles where it clearly states that the EU is trying to split NI from the UK.

Knock some sense in to yourself fella. Failing that, give someone else the pleasure of doing it.
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2018 12:20:28 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1370 
      Reply #83: Mar 01, 2018 12:18:31 am
      Christ almighty - how f**king hard is it for you to understand that the comment was made in context of the EU vs the UK seeing as it is those TWO entities that are negotiating Brexit and the matter of the Northern Ireland border?

As for your glib statement that you've read articles - patently you haven't. And what you mean by 'it's the public that voted Brexit, not the UK government' in relation to the UK government's actions of pursuing a hard Brexit that means that such actions are endangering the NI peace process...well only you know. Please clarify because most of what you've said is to the point of being self parody. That the public voted for Brexit has f**k all on what course of action the government decides to take after htat.

I'll spell out to you what you clearly don't know. If Theresa May had decided to pursue a Brexit, one that seeks to stay in the customs union and the single market, then the Irish border does not become an issue. But that they have chosen to pursue one that takes us out of the customs union and single market puts the Irish border in an uncompromising position. You cannot leave the customs union, the single market and keep in tact the pre-existing situation in Northern Ireland. SOMETHING HAS TO GIVE. If you don't want a hard border, don't leave the customs union. The UK government wants to leave the customs union but don't want to have a hard border - acting like a spoilt child and seemingly supported by spoilt children. The fate of the Northern Ireland question is decided entirely by what sort of Brexit the UK government wants to pursue. That you seem to believe that everything is done and dusted on the whim of a referendum result shows just how naive you are.

edit: I'm waiting for you to pull up the articles where it clearly states that the EU is trying to split NI from the UK.
      I think the difference is terminology here, you state the UK wants to leave the customs union, it is a slightly ambiguous statement because the UK is full of lots of people with constrasting views. There is a good chance May will be blocked on a hard brexit, Corbyn has more backing with customs union than May without it. Tories are worried enough to seek legal advise on this anyway.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #84: Mar 01, 2018 12:25:02 am
      I think the difference is terminology here, you state the UK wants to leave the customs union, it is a slightly ambiguous statement because the UK is full of lots of people with constrasting views. There is a good chance May will be blocked on a hard brexit, Corbyn has more backing with customs union than May without it.

Are you being deliberately anal? We all know in this discussion that the UK is just shorthand for the UK government in matters relating to the Brexit negotiations.

However you only serve to contradict yourself further because in your previous post you said the 'public voted for Brexit'. Isn't that a 'slightly ambiguous statement because the public is full of lots of people with contrasting views'?
      « Last Edit: Mar 01, 2018 12:53:14 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Roddenberry
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,355 posts | 1750 
      Reply #85: Mar 01, 2018 02:38:27 am

The fact you call it bullying and not an organisation protecting its interests is very telling, as I don't recall you calling similar actions, by our government, bullying.

Quick Reply