Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Spurs?

Loris Karius
      19 (15.7%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      5 (4.1%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      12 (9.9%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      3 (2.5%)
      James Milner
      2 (1.7%)
      Emre Can
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Sadio Mane
      0 (0%)
      Mohammed Salah
      79 (65.3%)
      Roberto Firmino
      0 (0%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      0 (0%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Voting closed: Feb 08, 2018 06:30:59 pm

Liverpool 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 31957 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Re: Liverpool 2-2 Tottenham Hotspur: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #759: Feb 08, 2018 02:05:05 pm
      When was he ever up in your estimation?

Two ex players of this parish went on Sky last night to debate diving and cheating on air. I won't name them, but those who watched it know who I'm on about. It was sad to see neither of them condemn it. To them it's part of the game, one of them now coaches young players and congratulates them if they've "bought" a penalty. The other thinks it's "clever", and says Kane "used his brain" when going over . And we wonder why football is in the state it's in?

If they think it's here to stay, well they're going to have to think again, because the VAR clean up is going to be a major culture shock to them.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #760: Feb 08, 2018 02:06:56 pm
      Pochettino is Argentinian, isn't it seen as part of their football culture to hoodwink refs to win?

So safe to say he's passing that attitude onto his team.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #761: Feb 08, 2018 02:09:35 pm

Two ex players of this parish went on Sky last night to debate diving and cheating on air. I won't name them, but those who watched it know who I'm on about. It was sad to see neither of them condemn it. To them it's part of the game, one of them now coaches young players and congratulates them if they've "bought" a penalty. The other thinks it's "clever", and says Kane "used his brain" when going over . And we wonder why football is in the state it's in?

If they think it's here to stay, well they're going to have to think again, because the VAR clean up is going to be a major culture shock to them.

The FA will delay the "clean up" for as long as humanely possible.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #762: Feb 08, 2018 02:45:27 pm
      The FA will delay the "clean up" for as long as humanely possible.

I have a feeling VAR will rule out the no contact dives but continue to reward the minimal contact and 'could stay on his feet if he wanted to' dives.

The type Luis used to pull off for us.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #763: Feb 08, 2018 03:08:17 pm
      Quote from fields of anny rd
      I have a feeling VAR will rule out the no contact dives but continue to reward the minimal contact and 'could stay on his feet if he wanted to' dives.

The type Luis used to pull off for us.

Kicking someone on the leg, however accidental, is a foul. Falling over a keeper is a dive. And catching him with a "trailing leg" doesn't change that. Next year, the VAR will have 4-5-6 different angles to judge the difference.

At last year's Confed Cup, VAR was used and diving was non existent. Pushing and shoving at set pieces from attackers and defenders was rare. Goals were correctly ruled offside while offside calls were overturned. Conning a ref is easy. Conning a camera is impossible.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #764: Feb 08, 2018 03:10:01 pm
      Pochettino is Argentinian, isn't it seen as part of their football culture to hoodwink refs to win?

So safe to say he's passing that attitude onto his team.

Obvious isn't it that he doesn't exactly tell them it's wrong. Their conduct showed their true dirt colours when they lost their minds in that Chelsea match when they lost the title to Leicester. Filthy behaviour throughout.

Also it's interesting to see that their cheating antics haven't been lost on Mr Wenger.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42986662

English players the 'masters' of diving he says. And he's probably right. They hide behind the English/moral superiority schtick bandied about by English pundits that they are too 'honest' to dive but it quickly dawns that they are as bad as the 'foreigners' they so love to hate. Coupled with Pochettino's encouragement, it's no surprise that the worst of it has manifested itself within Tottenham's ranks.
      « Last Edit: Feb 08, 2018 03:57:27 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #765: Feb 08, 2018 03:29:04 pm

I have less of a problem with players diving, than I have a problem with referee's not booking players for diving. I have a problem with a dysfunctional FA refusing to take retrospective action if a referee sees an incident and incorrectly calls it. Players are exploiting a weakness in the system and so long as it exists, players will continue to attempt to win by any means possible. Given what's at stake, you can't really blame them for that. What's needed is the system tightening up so that retrospective action on diving is introduced. VAR needs refining so that TV footage can assist referees in making the correct call in the first place. Do that and you'll soon see diving disappear.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #766: Feb 08, 2018 05:40:20 pm
      Kicking someone on the leg, however accidental, is a foul. Falling over a keeper is a dive. And catching him with a "trailing leg" doesn't change that. Next year, the VAR will have 4-5-6 different angles to judge the difference.

At last year's Confed Cup, VAR was used and diving was non existent. Pushing and shoving at set pieces from attackers and defenders was rare. Goals were correctly ruled offside while offside calls were overturned. Conning a ref is easy. Conning a camera is impossible.

Lamela dived and conned the cameras. If that went to VAR and he stayed on his feet it would be no pen. When he goes down under very minimal contact the situation is highlighted and I believe VAR would act in his favour. If he stayed on his feet then nothing would be given.

IMO theres grey areas with VAR as every referee applies the law in their own way and one mans dive is another mans penalty.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #767: Feb 08, 2018 07:41:21 pm
      The ref is there to apply the laws of the game. If it's in the book you apply it, and if it's not you disregard.

I just needed one replay before the pen to acknowledge that he was fouled. It wasn't shown at the time, but all a VAR would need is one replay and he would have seen that Robbo played him offside, which would have rendered everything that followed irrelevant. It will work against us at times too, such as the Firmino goal at Bournemouth. I can take it though, if it's off it's off. Fair enough.

One thing that needs refining is the levels of communication which are currently abysmal because FIFA rules have it such. Fans in the stadium don't necessarily have to see replays, but they have to be told that incidents are under review. At the WC, the fans will be told when an incident is under review, on the stadium screens.

Players, pundits, coaches, and fans have been calling for consistency for how many years now? They'll have it from next season. Unfortunately it's not going to get the 2 points back but better late than never.

Quick Reply