Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The Future Of Our Players On Loan

Read 5168 times
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      The Future Of Our Players On Loan
      Feb 09, 2018 02:14:45 am
      So looking at the 13 LFC first team players currently on loan - I'm interested to know everyone's thoughts about their future as professional footballers, and in particular whether they have a future at the club. It seems like the pattern with loaning younger players has been to use it as a shop window.  Nobody in the present squad was ever loaned out (and of course there are only two, Alexander-Arnold and Woodburn, who are homegrown products anyway).

So listing the players currently on loan here - what are the thoughts on whether they can be part of the first team going forward:

Allan
      Taiwo Awonyi
      Pedro Chirivella
      Ovie Ejaria
      Jon Flanagan
      Marko Grujic
      Ryan Kent
      Lazar Markovic
      Sheyi Ojo
      Divock Origi
      Connor Randall
      Daniel Sturridge
      Harry Wilson
      firminofanboy1
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | 15 
      Re: The Future Of Our Players On Loan
      Reply #1: Feb 09, 2018 05:57:07 am
      I think Harry Wilson is a talented kid. Whether he can make an impact in the first team I'm not really sure but he definitely got game.

The rest are all meh. I know some rate Grujic but I don't think he's good enough going forward personally. We already have better in that CM role.

Origi has his fans too but he hasn't exactly set the world alight in the Bundesliga this season. Can see us selling him on in the summer. Like his attitude always gave 100% for the badge but he's just not good enough. We certainly need to find a better back up striker in the summer for Firmino.

Sometimes I forget Markovic is still on our books. Jesus christ he must have been loaned out about 73839201937 times  :D
      The Real Donavan Ried
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #2: Feb 09, 2018 11:40:16 am
      Three here that LFC should move on...  Daniel Sturridge, Lazar Markovic and Divock Origi.
      For whatever reason,Origi does not fit into Klopp's plays, Sturridge  spends more time injured than fit and has lost not only match fitness but over all fitness, speed and endurance... Things you build over years for playing for me he should have been sold last summer. He has no long term future at Liverpool FC,Both Ings and Solanke have replaced him as Subs. Not in Klopp's plans...
      And a couple to consider moving on... Pedro Chirivella and Connor Randall...Need more time maybe, but it is starting to look like the writing is on the wall
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #3: Feb 09, 2018 03:45:50 pm
      Loans. Don’t. Work.

None will be first team players. All will be gone inside 3 years.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #4: Feb 09, 2018 04:30:26 pm
      Loans. Don’t. Work.

This.

How many players can anyone name that we have loaned out that have had an impact on the first team.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5: Feb 09, 2018 05:20:06 pm
      This.

How many players can anyone name that we have loaned out that have had an impact on the first team.

Not even 'we'

Name 10 players in the history of the game that have been loaned out and come back better for it?

If you're good enough you're old enough. Was delighted when Woodburn didn't go out on loan, he will develop FAR more training with our 1st team than playing against and training with donks in the championship
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #6: Feb 09, 2018 05:48:15 pm
      Not even 'we'

Name 10 players in the history of the game that have been loaned out and come back better for it?

Cou at espanyol under poch. Everybody knew he was talented but never delivered for inter. He had a good spell in Spain and we went for him.

Harry Kane went on loan because he failed to break into first team, at millwall he had a decent spell. Some would say that's why he got the chance in spuds team

Salah, went from Chelsea to fiorentina and did very well. Matured as a player.

Stu at Bolton, scored goals and people noticed him.

That's top of my head. I'm on my phone but if I was on pc then I would have Googled. A lot of players turned good after getting play time somewhere else.

Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #7: Feb 09, 2018 05:53:02 pm
      Didn't jordi alba breakthrough on a loan and then came into Valencia team. I swear I have seen him play for a other team then Valencia and barca
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8: Feb 09, 2018 06:01:16 pm
      Didn't jordi alba breakthrough on a loan and then came into Valencia team. I swear I have seen him play for a other team then Valencia and barca

David Beckham at Preston for a few games is a famous one but it seems the exception rather than the norm. Pretty irrelevant in the grander scheme of things that one.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #9: Feb 09, 2018 06:37:08 pm
      Loans. Don’t. Work.

Have to agree, I think Grujic has the best chance out of these, if one player does make it I think it will be him.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #10: Feb 09, 2018 06:47:52 pm
      Cou at espanyol under poch. Everybody knew he was talented but never delivered for inter. He had a good spell in Spain and we went for him.

Harry Kane went on loan because he failed to break into first team, at millwall he had a decent spell. Some would say that's why he got the chance in spuds team

Salah, went from Chelsea to fiorentina and did very well. Matured as a player.

Stu at Bolton, scored goals and people noticed him.

That's top of my head. I'm on my phone but if I was on pc then I would have Googled. A lot of players turned good after getting play time somewhere else.

Lukaku and De Bruyne both had successful loan spells away from Chelsea.  The loans helped the players develop, but didn't offer them a route back into the Chelsea first team. 

I think only Grujic has any hope of a 1st team role here, and even that is pretty slim....
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #11: Feb 09, 2018 11:06:54 pm
      I think Ojo and Ejaria are both young enough that being loaned doesn't necessarily mean they have no future with us. They both played in a good number of first team matches the last two seasons at ages 17 or 18 (as opposed to Wilson). If they can make a good impression this season (and Ojo I think already is), they would have the chance to come into preseason this summer and stake a claim. They would still have to do the business then, of course, but I wouldn't write them off. Maybe Ryan Kent is in this category as well.

Grujic I really don't see it happening here. Sturridge is pretty obvious. Also pretty clearly off are Flanagan and especially Markovic.

Origi will want to move on and the others would likely be gone if we didn't think we could get more for in a transfer fee.

Allan is another who probably will get a chance at making the first 22 in the summer, if he can finally get a work permit.
      « Last Edit: Feb 10, 2018 09:53:22 am by Robby The Z »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12: Feb 09, 2018 11:12:56 pm
      Loans. Don’t. Work.

Unfortunate but bang on IMO :bert:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #13: Feb 10, 2018 12:19:52 am
      Most youngsters bought into any club are seen as a commodity in terms of if they are not good enough for first team football then how can we develop and make a profit.

Nothing wrong in that approach Chavs have hoovered up most of the top talent in recent years.

I doubt many of those loaned out have a career but imo there is some real talents like ;

Ojo who I believe is not being played in a position that suits his talents.
      His dribbling skills makes him an ideal attacking CM with the ability to scare defences with his pace, something I was hoping from Gini!

Grujic is another with a big ceiling who just needs game time, to learn the game, can anyone really say he can't replace Can, Gini or Henderson?

And one I feel sorry for Harry Wilson he is a big talent and will have a good career unfortunately he doesn't have the pace to play in a Klopp front line. Shame as I really like him.

woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #14: Feb 10, 2018 08:55:52 am
      Worked for Chelsea quite a few time, the issue we have we loan them out when they're past their first team potential. No one can tell me that young Woodburn wouldn't benefit from a loan to the right team than sit on the bench losing sharpness & progress. I understand what Klopp and others say "training with these players everyday develops them" but you ask any player, nothing compares to playing competative football for development.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #15: Feb 10, 2018 09:19:11 am
      For me, I think loaning out players is good for the player and the team.
      it all depends on the player, if he is willing to put in the work and if he has the talent.
      I wouldn't mind buying up more youngsters and then loaning them out. Some will turn into player who are good enough for us and the majority will be for lower teams.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #16: Feb 10, 2018 09:22:07 am
      Worked for Chelsea quite a few time, the issue we have we loan them out when they're past their first team potential. No one can tell me that young Woodburn wouldn't benefit from a loan to the right team than sit on the bench losing sharpness & progress. I understand what Klopp and others say "training with these players everyday develops them" but you ask any player, nothing compares to playing competative football for development.

I think Woodburn is our backup, we didn't reinforced in Jan. And if our attacking players get injured then he will get into the first team.

So basically I think jk would agree with you but his priority is the first team and he needs someone on the bench.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #17: Feb 10, 2018 10:09:53 am
      This gets into a related issue which is how difficult it can be for young players to get a chance in the first team at a big club, a club that is competing for honors and that has high expectations and financial obligations.

Klopp did give a good number of young players some opportunities in his first season and a half. We've already mentioned Woodburn, Ejaria and Ojo. Trent Alexander-Arnold we forget because he's a regular in the 18 now. Connor Randall saw a good bit of action and a few others have at least made it onto the park once or twice (Wilson, Kent, Jerome Sinclair, Kevin Stewart, Cameron Brannagan, Pedro Chirivella, Brad Smith, Joao Teixera, Joe Maguire). Last season and especially this season we are seeing very little of this, and instead we have I think it is 15 players loaned out.

So if Magillionaire is correct and anybody being loaned is effectively a lost cause when it comes to featuring for us someday, wouldn't it would really give a youth player second thoughts about signing for Liverpool? On the other hand, I've seen in here that being 17 or 18 offers no protection from supporters if someone's performance is not up to par - so even the concept of "giving young players a chance" is a pretty complicated one from a managers's perspective (and that's not even getting into the issues someone mentioned re Woodburn of gaining match experience vs. getting rusty playing only for the U23s.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #18: Feb 10, 2018 11:42:40 am
      From that List I'd give a better than average chance to, Kent, Wilson, Grujic, and Ojo, not seen much of Awonyi so not sure about him, the rest will be moved on probably within a season or two.

YNWA
      With Hope In My Heart
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,263 posts | 182 
      Reply #19: Feb 10, 2018 04:20:45 pm
      Not even 'we'

Rio Ferdinand, Jermaine Defoe, Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard, Danny Murphy, Daniel Sturridge, Romelu Lukaku, Victor Moses, Danny Welbeck & arguably Jack Wilshere.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #20: Feb 10, 2018 04:22:48 pm

Rio Ferdinand, Jermaine Defoe, Ashley Cole, Frank Lampard, Danny Murphy, Daniel Sturridge, Romelu Lukaku, Victor Moses, Danny Welbeck & arguably Jack Wilshere.

Harry kane
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #21: Feb 10, 2018 04:25:30 pm
      Watching a bit of the Bristol v sunderland game,Kent is doing pretty good,got an assist,seein alot of the ball.sunderland are sh*te mind,Ejaria not doing anything.Read Wilson scored for Hull.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #22: Feb 10, 2018 04:52:38 pm
      Wilson earned a penalty that was missed by someone else, then scored himself. Didn't see it, but has to be considered a good beginning.

Quick Reply