Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Even though I am enjoying the front 3.....

Read 5526 times
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Even though I am enjoying the front 3.....
      Reply #23: Feb 19, 2018 07:45:46 pm
      Disagree slightly with City, they do have the finances to pretty much tell both clubs to f**k off if they went sniffing around any City player.

They have the finances but Latin players's heads will still be turned and no amount of money prevents Prima Donna Footballers from throwing a tantrum if they don't get the move they want.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #24: Feb 19, 2018 07:56:30 pm
      Yeah you don’t see Aguero and Silva angling for a move every summer

That's because they are winning things and always in CL. When that happens for us (soon?), we'll have the same staying power for players. I'm actually pretty relaxed right now. I think Klopp's work is starting to pay off and if FSG is able to keep him around, we are going to start reaping the rewards of his tenure.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #25: Feb 19, 2018 08:04:56 pm
      Without using google, a crackerjack pencil and a like (from me) for the first person to tell us the name, nationality and transfer fee paid for the second foreign player to join Liverpool FC (1st was South African Doug Rudham in 1955)
      remember, no google ;D
      Kopite78
      Reply #26: Feb 19, 2018 08:57:31 pm
      Without using google, a crackerjack pencil and a like (from me) for the first person to tell us the name, nationality and transfer fee paid for the second foreign player to join Liverpool FC (1st was South African Doug Rudham in 1955)
      remember, no google ;D

Wasn't it Avi Cohen?
      As for fee I can't remember 100k?

Edit. Just saw nationality. If it's right he was from Israel 
      « Last Edit: Feb 19, 2018 09:02:40 pm by Kopite78 »
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #27: Feb 19, 2018 11:12:18 pm
      remember, no google ;D

Didn't we have another south african lad before that? Eddie something dutch!
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #28: Feb 19, 2018 11:38:19 pm
      Wasn't it Avi Cohen?
      As for fee I can't remember 100k?

Edit. Just saw nationality. If it's right he was from Israel 

It was Avi Cohen mate you're right.
      £200,000 we signed him for in 1979
      He was actually born in Cairo,Egypt but he chose his nationality as Israel.
      Played 24 times in a red shirt and scored one goal in his Liverpool career,a goal which helped us beat Aston Villa to clinch the League title in 79/80, minutes after he's scored an own goal at the Kop end.
      Died tragically at the age of 54 in 2010. :(

Well done K78 the pencil's in the post ;D

The point I'm making with this is how in nearly 40 years the influx of foreign players has had such an impact on our game.
      Think after Avi we signed Grobbelaar for £250K and Molby for £???(free maybe? I know it was Joe Fagen who signed him) then it wasn't until 92 we signed the Norwegian Stig for £600K.
      I can remember watching an England game in the 70's and i think 8 out of the 11 on the pitch we're Liverpool players.

The lure of the big money once the Premier League began opened the floodgates to what we now know as silly money players.
      Once Sami Hypia(2.6m) and Patric Berger(3.2m) made their mark here in the late 90's the stakes just got higher and higher
      and as we all know now transfer fee's are just beyond comprehension (Coutinho)

Was big Sami, Molby or Patric Berger enticed to the "bigger" stage in La Liga or elsewhere in Europe? No.
      Simply because they knew which side their bread was buttered.
      Playing for this club was, is and should be the ultimate privilege to any player who has the honour of wearing the shirt.

I saw the picture of Mo Salah in the LFC picture thread sat smiling looking relaxed and really happy at the recent training camp in Spain, he loves it here, no doubt about it.
      Compare that to the poker face Pogba had on him after being subbed against Newcastle recently tells me there's only one team and manager these top players want to play for.

:kop5cf8koxp6:

« Last Edit: Feb 19, 2018 11:52:46 pm by 6stringer »
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #29: Feb 19, 2018 11:51:19 pm

Didn't we have another south african lad before that? Eddie something dutch!

My Bad Boston, you're right.328 games he played :o https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Riley  :-[
      « Last Edit: Feb 19, 2018 11:57:13 pm by 6stringer »
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #30: Feb 19, 2018 11:56:37 pm
      It was Avi Cohen mate you're right.
      £200,000 we signed him for in 1979
      He was actually born in Cairo,Egypt but he chose his nationality as Israel.
      Played 24 times in a red shirt and scored one goal in his Liverpool career,a goal which helped us beat Aston Villa to clinch the League title in 79/80, minutes after he's scored an own goal at the Kop end.
      Died tragically at the age of 54 in 2010.

Well done K78 the pencil's in the post ;D

The point I'm making with this is how in nearly 40 years the influx of foreign players has had such an impact on our game.
      Think after Avi we signed Grobbelaar for £250K and Molby for £???(free maybe? I know it was Joe Fagen who signed him) then it wasn't until 92 we signed the Norwegian Stig for £600K.
      I can remember watching an England game in the 70's and i think 8 out of the 11 on the pitch we're Liverpool players.

The lure of the big money once the Premier League began opened the floodgates to what we now know as silly money players.
      Once Sami Hypia(2.6m) and Patric Berger(3.2m) made their mark here in the late 90's the stakes just got higher and higher
      and as we all know now transfer fee's are just beyond comprehension (Coutinho)

Was big Sami, Molby or Patric Berger enticed to the "bigger" stage in La Liga or elsewhere in Europe? No.
      Simply because they knew which side their bread was buttered.
      Playing for this club was, is and should be the ultimate privilege to any player who has the honour of wearing the shirt.

I saw the picture of Mo Salah in the LFC picture thread sat smiling looking relaxed and really happy at the recent training camp in Spain, he loves it here, no doubt about it.
      Compare that to the poker face Pogba had on him after being subbed against Newcastle recently tells me there's only one team and manager these top players want to play for.

:kop5cf8koxp6:

Phil left because all his agent, his family, Nike and he could see was what they had to gain monetarily from the transfer. The better football career decision was to stay, and I believe Klopp when he says the club (including ownership) did what it should have to try and keep him.

This thread is basically about telling people to stop enjoying how well the team is playing and instead turn to gloom and doom. Everybody's choice of course, but for me, personally, I don't mind a little happiness once in a while.
      « Last Edit: Feb 20, 2018 02:28:08 am by Robby The Z »
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #31: Feb 20, 2018 12:01:56 am
      Phil left because all his agent, his family, Nike and he could see was what they had to gain monetarily from the transfer. The better football career decision was to stay, and I believe Klopp when he says the club (including ownership) did what it should have to try and keep him.

This thread is basically about telling people to stop enjoying how well the team is playing instead turn to gloom and doom. Everybody's choice of course, but for me, personally, I don't mind a little happiness once in a while.

Correct Robby, I agree.
      I suppose it's just me trying to put a bit of banter and nostalgia into the Kop thread as we sit here on a boring Monday night, five days away from our next game
      It is fascinating though how money and transfer fee's have exploded over the years.
      Loyalty doesn't cost a penny.

Baconbutty
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 110 posts | 22 
      Re: EVEN THOUGH I AM ENJOYING THE FRONT 3...
      Reply #32: Feb 20, 2018 02:12:17 am
      The overriding beauty about our front three is that they all want to play for Liverpool.
      Mo Salah loves it here as does Bobby and Sadio and long may that last.

So did Torres and Alonso to be fair. I think we’ll have done very well if Salah is still here at the start of the season after next if he maintains this form.

Depressing, I know.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #33: Feb 20, 2018 02:31:10 am
      Correct Robby, I agree.
      I suppose it's just me trying to put a bit of banter and nostalgia into the Kop thread as we sit here on a boring Monday night, five days away from our next game
      It is fascinating though how money and transfer fee's have exploded over the years.
      Loyalty doesn't cost a penny.

Well said. I was referring to the OP re Doom and gloom. I remember Juninho signing w Middlesboro as a key transfer re England becoming a favored destination.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #34: Feb 20, 2018 08:05:46 am
      Let’s enjoy what we have. Who knows what happens next - We might sign even better......?

I’m a firm believer that those foreseeing doom ahead do so largely because they’re scared (deep down) of the pain it will cause and trying to suppress the optimism.

After all.....it’s the hope that kills you. Right?

Actually no - I don’t subscribe to that.

Sport is a metaphor for life. Embrace it all - the lows make the highs higher NOT the other way around.

Leonardo Da Vinci said “...a life without love, is no life at all...”

Grab it and live to the full instead of worrying when it’ll end.
      Kopite78
      Reply #35: Feb 20, 2018 08:36:50 am
      Let’s enjoy what we have. Who knows what happens next - We might sign even better......?

I’m a firm believer that those foreseeing doom ahead do so largely because they’re scared (deep down) of the pain it will cause and trying to suppress the optimism.

After all.....it’s the hope that kills you. Right?

Actually no - I don’t subscribe to that.

Sport is a metaphor for life. Embrace it all - the lows make the highs higher NOT the other way around.

Leonardo Da Vinci said “...a life without love, is no life at all...”

Grab it and live to the full instead of worrying when it’ll end.

Completely agree mate

I don't worry if they are here for a couple of years or not, there will always be another.

Just to keep it more relevant and recent people lost their sh*t when Torres left, but Suarez replaced him
      People wondered what happens after we lose the front 3 of Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling
      Well we have Bobby, Mo and Mane

Go back as far as you want
      Keegan left, we got Kenny
      Rush left, we got Aldo (Barnes and Beardsley)
      Fowler left, Owen came through (knob like but he got goals)
      People wondered about local heroes when Robbie and Macca were gone..  Carra and Stevie rose to the top

Look we all want to keep and build on our better players but sometimes they have to or want to go. In an ideal world you keep more than you lose and you do improve
      So we had Mo, Bobby, Sadio and Coutinho..  but of those if we only lose Coutinho and add more then great.. If we add a couple to that and lose Mo in a couple of years but add again then the whole things still moves forward.

In a sense we are in the best position, both squad wise and financially than in any time since maybe 2001 (which was our last proper squad with real depth in my opinion) to lose one and keep moving forward
      Losing Torres in  2011 was more of a disaster because the squad was paper thin with no other real quality around. Now it's not

Love them whilst they are here, get excited about who replaces them when  they go.

Don't get to attached, just enjoy them whilst they are here than worry all the time about them possibly leaving
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #36: Feb 20, 2018 08:50:29 am
      There is absolutely no doubt we are heading in the right direction, we have one of the top 5 managers in the world at our club imo, and he will prove this given time,
      We have owners who believe in the manager and although we or they rather cannot compete with the likes of Barca, Real, PSG, Citeh financially, We CAN compete on the pitch and that is all we can ask for,

Players will want to play for a side that plays exciting winning football, the exact football Jürgen is implementing right now, he's about half way towards building his ultimate side i believe and we can all see how much better we are already,

Reaching the latter stages of the CL, competing for the top 3 spots domestically is proof indeed that we are becoming a big attraction, each season he will add more quality and with it the ability to go up yet another level,

You can have all the money in the world but that doesn't guarantee a thing, its about having the right balance, mental attitude, committment, teamwork and the desire to win, Jürgen instills all of this into his player's,
      The players themselves want to play for him, because they see how his philosophy is working = happy players,

This is just the beginning, you would have to be a complete imbecile if you don't believe in what Jürgen Klopp is creating at LFC.

YNWA
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #37: Feb 20, 2018 11:51:06 am
      Salah will be a target in the next window. He has that Messi like quality in the last third. It will again be £100m+.It's the reality, nowt we can do about it. Might be able to stall it, in a similar way to Coutinho.

From Salah's point of veiw he will know the score. He is going to have to play every game here at the highest intensity level. And do more than his fair share of defending. Contrast that to the less intense Spanish or French league. Pulling teams apart in the Champions League will have all the World's top money teams salivating....or Salahvating..

And it's not a given that we can carry on finding these gems, so we are at our level.Not saying our glory days are over..just a lower level of glory.
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #38: Feb 20, 2018 12:18:40 pm
      There is absolutely no doubt we are heading in the right direction, we have one of the top 5 managers in the world at our club imo, and he will prove this given time,
      We have owners who believe in the manager and although we or they rather cannot compete with the likes of Barca, Real, PSG, Citeh financially, We CAN compete on the pitch and that is all we can ask for,

Players will want to play for a side that plays exciting winning football, the exact football Jürgen is implementing right now, he's about half way towards building his ultimate side i believe and we can all see how much better we are already,

Reaching the latter stages of the CL, competing for the top 3 spots domestically is proof indeed that we are becoming a big attraction, each season he will add more quality and with it the ability to go up yet another level,

You can have all the money in the world but that doesn't guarantee a thing, its about having the right balance, mental attitude, committment, teamwork and the desire to win, Jürgen instills all of this into his player's,
      The players themselves want to play for him, because they see how his philosophy is working = happy players,

This is just the beginning, you would have to be a complete imbecile if you don't believe in what Jürgen Klopp is creating at LFC.

YNWA

Could this type of "we all lived happily ever after" post be left to the end of the season. Think so.And money does guarantee success...City were piss poor and going nowhere till the money arrived.
      « Last Edit: Feb 20, 2018 12:26:18 pm by Harrisimo »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #39: Feb 20, 2018 12:28:24 pm
      Salah will be a target in the next window. He has that Messi like quality in the last third. It will again be £100m+.It's the reality, nowt we can do about it. Might be able to stall it, in a similar way to Coutinho.

From Salah's point of veiw he will know the score. He is going to have to play every game here at the highest intensity level. And do more than his fair share of defending. Contrast that to the less intense Spanish or French league. Pulling teams apart in the Champions League will have all the World's top money teams salivating....or Salahvating..

And it's not a given that we can carry on finding these gems, so we are at our level.Not saying our glory days are over..just a lower level of glory.

That’s utter nonsense that last paragraph mate.

All teams are subject to transfer disturbance - look at Barca in the first place.

There’ll always be those with more money - always has been - it doesn’t guarantee success but it might make it quicker......in some cases.

We’re on the up - don’t kid yourself. You ain’t dampening my expectations.
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #40: Feb 20, 2018 12:37:28 pm
      That’s utter nonsense that last paragraph mate.

All teams are subject to transfer disturbance - look at Barca in the first place.

There’ll always be those with more money - always has been - it doesn’t guarantee success but it might make it quicker......in some cases.

We’re on the up - don’t kid yourself. You ain’t dampening my expectations.

Money does guarantee success. I'm not putting the side down. Top money clubs will come in for Salah. We've lost all or most of our top players in recent years to the money clubs. I'm backing Klopp, but we have to realise and accept that there is not a level playing field. That's a fact. This is the reality. We are not going to sweep aside the top money clubs with a smile, a hug and the hope that we can continue to find nuggets in the market place.

We are up against the money god.
      Harrisimo

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #41: Feb 20, 2018 01:01:13 pm
      Money doesn't guarantee sucess...not much. Manchester City and Chelsea were not even on the radar till the oil men moved in and from then on success has come their way. Won leagues and cup galore...bought and paid for.Not even a debate...this is fact, money does guarantee success.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #42: Feb 20, 2018 01:07:26 pm
      I'm a university student doing a research project on Liverpool football supporters! Please help me by filling in the short survey in the link! Thanks very much.
      https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScqRZlD9SSa2uGCnalX86vZ-elLPb69p7j578sJ7xgXoOUywA/viewform?usp=sf_link

No good that link it's coming up saying form restricted and need permission!!
      ormskirkred
      • Forum Youth Player
      • Started Topic

• 8 posts |
      Reply #43: Feb 20, 2018 07:10:02 pm
      No good that link it's coming up saying form restricted and need permission!!

It worked for me ;)

Quick Reply