Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Porto?

Loris Karius
      1 (0.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (3.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      7 (5.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (1.5%)
      James Milner
      19 (14.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      77 (58.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      11 (8.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (4.6%)
      Danny Ings
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Feb 18, 2018 09:40:02 pm

FC Porto 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30816 times
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Re: FC Porto 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #322: Feb 14, 2018 10:29:10 pm
      DirtyRed
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 33 posts |
      Reply #323: Feb 14, 2018 10:38:01 pm
      Absofuckinglutelyfanbloo dytastic. Milner MOTM.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #324: Feb 14, 2018 10:39:30 pm
      Holy sh*t! I did NOT expect that. Was thinking all day, even 10 minutes into the game, this would be tight and would take a 1-0, 2-0 or 2-1 type scoreline. The slow paced start suited us just perfectly. I don't know what it was like in the ground but it quickly became apparent that we had a subdued crowd in front of us and we just seemed to slip comfortably into the match like you slip into a nice pair of warm comfy slippers on a cold winters night. Porto were clearly expecting far more openings from us in defence but the mistakes that seemed to litter our matches in the group stages weren't forthcoming from them. They looked stumped all evening and by the end they looked like they had given up. They completely submitted to us. A lot of 8 and 9/10 from our players tonight but I won't apologise for that because at the end of the day it's not every day you win 5-0 away to a highly respected club on your travels in Europe. The temptation by some will be to denigrate Porto rather than praise us but why? I know it's been the tendency of newspaper reports and fellow supporters to focus on teh failings of the opposition but for ONCE why don't we look at the brilliance of us? No one out there predicted 5-0 so don't try to be wise after the event and say 'yeah but they're a poor side'.

Karius - 7/10. No dramas. Comfortable catching, coming off his line, Lovren and VVD comfortable in communication with him. All good for him lately. Never had to make a serious save all game which is testament to the confidence of all the players ahead of him. Third clean sheet in the last two weeks for him. Displays a level of ability and confidence that Mignolet has never ever had. More importantly he's showing a desire to develop an understanding with the men in front of him unlike the other one.

Robertson - 9/10. Can't recall him putting a foot wrong. Stayed tight to his man all evening, was confident drifting inside because he trusted Mane to do a defensive job when chasing back up the wing. Made numerous gut busting lungs forward in support of the attack. I never knew he was going to be this good and if we could clone him so another Robbo is on standby then that would be ideal!

Lovren - 8/10. Excellent. Didn't put a foot wrong all evening and it's a tight contest between him and VVD as to who was the better of the pair. Absolutely disastrous in the first half of the season but with VVD brought in he probably deserves the chance to prove himself (again). The initial signs seem to suggest that he's found his match in Virgil.

VVD - 8/10. Stepped out, headed out, leapt up, swept up. Aggressive and always prepared to take the initiative. Again early days but he shines a level of ability that only Hyypia and Carragher had before him. Seems to be developing an understanding with Karius as well and his communication and refusal to quieten down as the score got higher is indicative that this is a man with seriously high standards!

TAA - 8/10. Another solid display. Seemed that he was being targeted by Porto early on with numerous phases of play taking place in his zone in the early stages. Dealt with everything so well and timed his tackles to perfection. Kept his pacey opponent to the byline. Always willing to participate higher up. Only 19, is playing in the CL knockout rounds - something Steven Gerrard never did at his age. He'll only get better!

Henderson - 6/10. Not great off the ball as he left a lot of space in the middle of the park but on the ball he was fine. Seemed to get the right balance between playing it safe and knowing when to play it forward so that's definitely encouraging. A wee bit slow but still getting up to full match fitness and with his injury issues in recent seasons it's only right they take it easy with him because we'll need him for the business end of the season.

Milner - 8/10. Superb, especially in the first half. Hitting the post was unlucky after a brilliant piece of play but thankfully Salah was there...with a bit of extra skill to spare! Got into Porto's faces, burst through at any opportunity, wasn't afraid to stick a foot in. Industrious and productive!

Gini - 8/10. Maybe one of his best, if not his best, away display in a Liverpool shirt. Seemed to be everywhere and his play to slide it out to Mane for the first goal was vital. I've been critical of him recently but he revelled along with Milner in getting in the Porto faces. Looked supremely fit as well.

Salah - 9/10. Everything he did was pretty much perfect. That goal was almost taking the piss in it's coolness but his running and his unselfishness to lay it off to his team mates is what makes him so much more than the 30 goal player his is right now. No one, not even Salah's biggest fans, would have predicted just how incredible he has been for us. That 35 million spent looks like a right steal.

Mane - 10/10. Utterly superb. With each goal scored he got better and better and better to the point where he was dictating everything around him after the second goal. That finish for the third was so emphatic - so darned emblematic of our play. To see the confidence and aggression return to him was a wonderful sight to behold.

Firmino - 9/10. Another superb game. He's the life force of our attack and his touch and ability in and around the box is the stuff of wizardry at times. How amazing, how much more stunning a player he is now than he was at this point two years ago. It's hard to believe that he came into this team under Rodgers and was punted out onto the wing for the first few months of his Liverpool career. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that he is to Klopp's Liverpool as to what someone like Bergkamp was to Wenger's great Arsenal side from 15-20 years ago. He just continues to ascend to a higher level seemingly every game!

Klopp - 10/10. Remember a few seasons ago we were getting knocked out in the first knockout rounds of the EUROPA LEAGUE to Zenit and F***ing Braga? None of that sh*t will be tolerated under Klopp. He seemed relaxed pre match. Too relaxed. No wonder. His confidence in his team and his coaching ability alone allows for such pleasures. Anyone who does not respect the job this man is doing can go and F**k off and support Man Utd or some other club that allows for part time, casual ignorant fandom.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,286 posts | 1400 
      Reply #325: Feb 14, 2018 10:41:16 pm
      The passes, pressing, flicks, shots etc were world class and probably Porto didn't come to expect that. Shell shocked. Well done to all the lads. Apart from Salah and Mane I thought Milner and Firminho and the rest did their part very well that led to the goals scored. I would give the NOTM to everyone, but there no such category.

More worrying, there's seems to be something not right between Salah and Mane . Not sure what was that and Milner sort of encouraging  Mane after he has scored a goal suggests something is there between the two. Hope both will close ranks and we'll scare the sh*t out of everyone. Well done. Well done.

Didn't really notice that, It's on ITV in about 5 minutes..I'll look out for it.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #326: Feb 14, 2018 10:47:40 pm
      Just about to watch the highlights on ITV. Bring it on.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #327: Feb 14, 2018 10:53:26 pm
      Didn't really notice that, It's on ITV in about 5 minutes..I'll look out for it.

I think it has been there for a while. I noticed many games before Salah doesn't pass to Mane and vice versa, they preferred Firminho.  Someone with a strong character on the pitch must step up and get these two to close ranks. I;m sure if Stevie is around he'll do just that. I think towards the later part of the game things improved. A game is won or lost as a team, hope they will close ranks asap more so the career of a footballer is a short one, why indulge in the negatves and bickerings when the positives can bring them so much success together in the coming years. But I ain;t gonna take their efforts out of this games. Well done Mane and Salah and the rest of the lads. Now I want Real Madrid in the next knock out game. Saw the whole match and RM is not invincible, they will struggle with our front three.
      Harrisimo

• 8,286 posts | 1400 
      Reply #328: Feb 14, 2018 10:58:02 pm
      The passes, pressing, flicks, shots etc were world class and probably Porto didn't come to expect that. Shell shocked. Well done to all the lads. Apart from Salah and Mane I thought Milner and Firminho and the rest did their part very well that led to the goals scored. I would give the NOTM to everyone, but there no such category.

More worrying, there's seems to be something not right between Salah and Mane . Not sure what was that and Milner sort of encouraging  Mane after he has scored a goal suggests something is there between the two. Hope both will close ranks and we'll scare the sh*t out of everyone. Well done. Well done.

Well just watched the highlights on ITV and both players seemed fine, hug at the kick off. Even if there is, a bit of rivalry is not a bad thing as long as they pass to each at the right time.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #329: Feb 14, 2018 11:03:06 pm
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #330: Feb 14, 2018 11:03:23 pm
      5 -0  >:D

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #331: Feb 14, 2018 11:23:13 pm

If Mane finds his shooting boots again Liverpool will run rampant in the second half of this season.

Jimsouse67

• 9,490 posts | 1478 
      Reply #332: Feb 14, 2018 11:24:40 pm
      Missed the match due to my sister going into labour,so been in the hospital waiting on the arrival of another red which duely arrived just under 2 hrs ago & with the reds hammering Porto it's a double celebration & I'll certainly enjoy the highlights with a few beers.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #333: Feb 14, 2018 11:26:08 pm
      I was not expecting that. Thought we’d win but only 2-1. Boss!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #334: Feb 14, 2018 11:33:39 pm
      9 years since we have been in the knockout phase of the CL, F**k time flys by but only because of the memories Rafa and his predecessors left us with.

That is way too long, brill to see the good guys back where they belong.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #335: Feb 14, 2018 11:39:55 pm
      Based on that performance tonight, would any of you doubt we could go on and win Big Ears for the sixth time?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #336: Feb 14, 2018 11:43:59 pm
      Based on that performance tonight, would any of you doubt we could go on and win Big Ears for the sixth time?

Better forwards then in 2005 anyway.
      Midfield. Not so much.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #337: Feb 14, 2018 11:45:06 pm
      Better forwards then in 2005 anyway.
      Midfield. Not so much.

Can you imagine Mash, Alonso and Gerrard behind those three!

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #338: Feb 14, 2018 11:47:09 pm
      So reading the papers, just discovered this little nugget of history. Salah is the faster Liverpool player to scorer 30 goals since George Allan. George was our Star Striker in the 1898-99 season; and we're only in February. ;D
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #339: Feb 14, 2018 11:47:37 pm
      Missed the match due to my sister going into labour,so been in the hospital waiting on the arrival of another red which duely arrived just under 2 hrs ago & with the reds hammering Porto it's a double celebration & I'll certainly enjoy the highlights with a few beers.

Has to be named Sadio after tonight. Surely.

What a morning. That's what the club is all about. Going around Europe and tonking everyone in our path.

I gave VVD my MOTM and i'm shocked I was the only one. I know Mane scored a hat trick but the third goal aside, thought he was very wasteful with the ball. I could've given it to Milner, Robbo or Dejan but VVD was imperious. On the ball he was flawless and played probably the two best passes of the night! Positionally exquisite, saved us on two occasions with his tackling and awareness and, I could be overreacting to one performance, but he made Lovren look so much better, too.

Fantastic morning.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #340: Feb 14, 2018 11:48:44 pm
      Can you imagine Mash, Alonso and Gerrard behind those three!

I'd pick Didi Hamann more so than Mash If I'm honest HS, but yeah, Imagine......
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #341: Feb 14, 2018 11:49:41 pm
      Can you imagine Mash (Didi), Alonso and Gerrard behind those three!

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #342: Feb 14, 2018 11:51:19 pm
      Has to be named Sadio after tonight. Surely.

What a morning. That's what the club is all about. Going around Europe and tonking everyone in our path.

I gave VVD my MOTM and i'm shocked I was the only one. I know Mane scored a hat trick but the third goal aside, thought he was very wasteful with the ball. I could've given it to Milner, Robbo or Dejan but VVD was imperious. On the ball he was flawless and played probably the two best passes of the night! Positionally exquisite, saved us on two occasions with his tackling and awareness and, I could be overreacting to one performance, but he made Lovren look so much better, too.

Fantastic morning.

Was tempted to give MOTM to Milner or Big Virgil,
      but if you score 3 you deserve it.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #343: Feb 14, 2018 11:54:05 pm
      Was a lot of talk from Porto about how they can match us. Think we showed them different!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #344: Feb 14, 2018 11:54:37 pm
      What strikes me of late is that we don't need to be swarming all over the opponents in periods of intense pressure in order to score like Tottenham do. At any phase in the game, regardless of who's dominating possession, we always seem able to strike at any moment without warning.

Quick Reply