Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Porto?

Loris Karius
      1 (0.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (3.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      7 (5.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (1.5%)
      James Milner
      19 (14.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      77 (58.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      11 (8.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (4.6%)
      Danny Ings
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Feb 18, 2018 09:40:02 pm

FC Porto 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30645 times
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Re: FC Porto 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #368: Feb 15, 2018 02:27:56 am
      Hello Europe, we're BACK!!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #369: Feb 15, 2018 03:04:57 am
      What a F***ing win that was. Hello quarter finals!

I've got to say Porto aren't much better than a pub team but I'm taking nothing away from us. You can only beat what's infront of you and the lads did us proud tonight. They were class.

Before kick off I was quite worried about the starting 11 and in particular playing both Henderson and milner in midfield but we controlled the game well from start to finish.

It could have been more than 5 if we really wanted but I'm not greedy. 5 will do for me.

Great to see mane bag a hat trick. MOTM for that. Hopefully it gives him a much needed confidence boost.

Some others special mentions. First to Karius. I know he had next to nothing to do but the little parts he was involved in he handled well. Early days but he looks a completely different player now. Much more relaxed and confident.

Robbo. Boss little left back him. Gets better and better too.

VVD with another solid lesder-like performance. Thought he was class on the ball tonight too.

Firmino. The lad is just sheer quality. Involved in everything. He's gone up a few levels this season.

Salah. I F***ing love him.

Firmino and Salah should be seriously rewarded for their performances this season and offered new long term contracts with a huge pay rise. We need to tie these two down instead of going through the same old bullshit when barca come calling.

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #370: Feb 15, 2018 03:26:45 am
      Oh my god. I've probably never been more wet my whole life,

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #371: Feb 15, 2018 03:28:38 am
      Finally got to watch the game, holy crap!!! :lmao:

What a demolition that was. So that's us through to the final 8 eh?

Gave MOTM to Milner....he was everywhere and without his work tonight, I think it's a much harder hill to climb.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #372: Feb 15, 2018 04:26:37 am
      F**k me, was gonna vote Mane as I feel that kind of performance in this stage deserves the ticket (though Milner, Robertson both fantastic as well as others) but I was kinda just going through the motions and automatically clicked Salah. Like some F***ing reflex, he's been that good this year :lmao:
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,183 posts | 1634 
      Reply #373: Feb 15, 2018 05:37:20 am
      What a performance that was!!

Most complete display under Klopp, from front to back we were fantastic. Ran out of words for our attack, they are really unbelievable and it gives us a chance against anyone, but our defense is transformed since VVD came in and Robertson and Karius started to get a run of games.

Last 8 in the bag and no one will fancy us!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,475 posts | 4821 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #374: Feb 15, 2018 05:55:34 am
      Oh my god. I've probably never been more wet my whole life, as Porto decided to do a nice display of Liverpool weather and I was in third row, so no roof above my head.

What a match though. So much fun to watch. The scary thing is that I don't even think we played our best, we're capable of better. But even so we simply destroyed a very capable Porto side. Incredible.

Everyone played well, which is just so satisfying. I would highlight a couple of them though.

VVD - what a player. The man is a f**king giant and is such a leader. Being so close to the pitch I could pay attention to him and even hear him shouting to his teammates all the time. He's constantly telling the rest of the defense what to do, where to go, where to pass to, and so on. Looks like he's been at the club forever, not someone who's just arrived. He's such a boss.

The other one I'd highlight is Gini Wijnaldum. I always had a soft spot for the man but I think he had been much better last season. Tonight though, he was back to his best, both going forward and winning the ball back.

Sadio Mané. I adore the player and think he may be the most naturally talented player we have. Really excited to see him getting back to his best form. That third goal was a thing of beauty, I couldnt stop myself from shouting even though I was surrounded by Porto fans!

Being so close to the game can you explain to me how James Milner managed to blag the referee that the late tackle he'd just done wasn't a yellow card on at least ten different occasions?

God like.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #375: Feb 15, 2018 06:22:55 am
      Being so close to the game can you explain to me how James Milner managed to blag the referee that the late tackle he'd just done wasn't a yellow card on at least ten different occasions?

God like.

We were laughing about that mate - he could have been sent off 3 times just for a second yellow.......but didn’t even get one.

F**k Rumpole of the Bailey - Milner is the man I want if I get done for murder!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #376: Feb 15, 2018 07:23:43 am
      Fantastic match,fantastic effort and a fantastic result.Well done to our lads and Boss Jürgen Klopp for a dream result.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #377: Feb 15, 2018 08:54:10 am
      Oh my god. I've probably never been more wet my whole life,

Happy Valentines Day
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,873 posts | 2694 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #378: Feb 15, 2018 09:14:32 am

Klopp - 10/10. Anyone who does not respect the job this man is doing can go and f**k off and support Man Utd or some other club that allows for part time, casual ignorant fandom.

Nice post Frankly and you saved the best bit to the last.  :D However, we both have sets of fans that knock Mourhino & Klopp. Wouldn't it be better if we sent them to Everton  :lmao:
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,480 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #379: Feb 15, 2018 09:19:56 am

God like.

We were laughing about that mate - he could have been sent off 3 times just for a second yellow.......but didn’t even get one.

F**k Rumpole of the Bailey - Milner is the man I want if I get done for murder!

Said as much to the aul fella while watching, how he escaped a yellow at all is beyond me :laugh:

Did have a giggle at the end when he pleads his innocence and the Italian referee is just like "Is ok".
      Jimsouse67

• 9,404 posts | 1459 
      Reply #380: Feb 15, 2018 09:31:06 am
      Just finished watching the highlights from last night & what a performance that was,talk about 'we don't need no return leg'.
      That goal from salah was pure genius
      And the third that completed the hatrick for mane was a rocket.
      To score 5 away goals without reply at Porto was some achievement from the reds, oh & the goal celebration from Bobby has to the celebration of the tournament.
      DanMann

• 5,705 posts | 880 
      Reply #381: Feb 15, 2018 09:51:59 am
      Managed to see parts of the match. Missed every goal, but caught the highlights. Lovely stuff!!

What a huge victory and delighted to hear that the performance was as good as the score suggests.

Onward we go!
      Kopite78
      Reply #382: Feb 15, 2018 09:54:16 am
      What's that shuffling I can hear?

Oh Yeah, it's just Europe sitting up and taking notice of Jürgen's reds
      « Last Edit: Feb 15, 2018 10:03:00 am by Kopite78 »
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #383: Feb 15, 2018 09:57:01 am

Oh Yeah, it's just Europe sitting up and taking notice of Jürgen's reds Orange Army

Fixed that.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #384: Feb 15, 2018 10:05:31 am
      Wouldn't want to take anything away from that performance, but how sh*t were Porto? I don't think we even had to leave second gear to win that.😁
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #385: Feb 15, 2018 10:08:06 am

Orange is the new Red ;D I actual like it!

Oh Yeah, it's just Europe sitting up and taking notice of Jürgen's reds

Aura of Invincibility returns...

So we won in 1978 & now it's 2018... Any similarities/omens?..
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #386: Feb 15, 2018 10:18:01 am
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #387: Feb 15, 2018 10:26:51 am
      Porto,s manager has a conundrum...
      Does he field his strongest team and go all out for the win and in doing put their hope of winning the title back home in jeopardy, or use it as a friendly and give some of the player coming back from injury and his fringe a run out...?   

Porto will need to score six unanswered goals at Anfield to go through to the QF, which I can see them doing...

For the return at Anfield I would like to see the front three on the Bench and players like Ings , Woodburn and Solanke given an outing Gomez for AA, Moreno for Robinson Can, Lallana and the Ox in midfield. CB Lovren and VVD

Bench should consist of...

SUBS...Salah, Mane, Milner, TAA, Matip, Migs and Brewster

Karius

Gomez      Lovren     VVD   Moreno

Can
                                         AOC                                   Lallana

Ings                 Solanke           Woodburn

Even if we lose this 2 or 3 nil it will give these players 90 mins or so of football
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #388: Feb 15, 2018 10:35:33 am
      Missed the match due to my sister going into labour,so been in the hospital waiting on the arrival of another red which duely arrived just under 2 hrs ago & with the reds hammering Porto it's a double celebration & I'll certainly enjoy the highlights with a few beers.
      Congratulation mate... and thell your sister that she has done a great recruiting job  :D
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #389: Feb 15, 2018 10:35:38 am
      Porto,s manager has a conundrum...
      Does he field his strongest team and go all out for the win and in doing put their hope of winning the title back home in jeopardy, or use it as a friendly and give some of the player coming back from injury and his fringe a run out...?   

Porto will need to score six unanswered goals at Anfield to go through to the QF, which I can see them doing...

For the return at Anfield I would like to see the front three on the Bench and players like Ings , Woodburn and Solanke given an outing Gomez for AA, Moreno for Robinson Can, Lallana and the Ox in midfield. CB Lovren and VVD

Bench should consist of...

SUBS...Salah, Mane, Milner, TAA, Matip, Migs and Brewster

Karius

Gomez      Lovren     VVD   Moreno

Can
                                         AOC                                   Lallana

Ings                 Solanke           Woodburn

Even if we lose this 2 or 3 nil it will give these players 90 mins or so of football

Football is about momentum, about sending a message.
      This isn't Rodgers v Madrid where he put up the white flag before the match started.

Start the strongest team.
      Maybe even get a record CL scoreline.
      Hook the front 3 when the job is done.
      Send a F***ing message.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #390: Feb 15, 2018 10:55:45 am
      Football is about momentum, about sending a message.
      This isn't Rodgers v Madrid where he put up the white flag before the match started.

Start the strongest team.
      Maybe even get a record CL scoreline.
      Hook the front 3 when the job is done.
      Send a f**king message.

Normally I would be right there with you advocating playing the strongest 11, but in this case with this score line (5 away goals) Porto would need six with out reply and I don't see that happening... Plus the players I named need game time... CB Lovren/VVD need more time working together so I would risk them... So we play our strongest 11

Or, you can field the strongest team, pick up one or two injuries which fucks your season both in the CL and the Perm...

Quick Reply