Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Porto?

Loris Karius
      1 (0.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (3.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      7 (5.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (1.5%)
      James Milner
      19 (14.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      77 (58.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      11 (8.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (4.6%)
      Danny Ings
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Feb 18, 2018 09:40:02 pm

FC Porto 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30616 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: FC Porto 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #391: Feb 15, 2018 10:59:19 am
      Finally got to watch the game, holy crap!!! :lmao:

What a demolition that was. So that's us through to the final 8 eh?

Gave MOTM to Milner....he was everywhere and without his work tonight, I think it's a much harder hill to climb.

It's crazy how he got away with so many fouls. I suspect he wouldn't have been so effective if he had an early booking. He was my MOTM too. A shout out to Wijnaldum who, along with Milner covered a lot of ground and played well too!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #392: Feb 15, 2018 11:18:19 am
      Normally I would be right there with you advocating playing the strongest 11, but in this case with this score line (5 away goals) Porto would need six with out reply and I don't see that happening... Plus the players I named need game time... CB Lovren/VVD need more time working together so I would risk them... So we play our strongest 11

Or, you can field the strongest team, pick up one or two injuries which fucks your season both in the CL and the Perm...

Player management doesn't have to be only in games.
      How they approach the games will help too.

I've no problem with making a few changes, and Klopp has done that more than anyone else this season.
      Gomez, Matip, Lallana, Ox are all options that could keep players fresh,
      maybe even with Ox or Lallana in the front 3.

4 changes from the team that won last night without weakening it.
      I'd still rather see Solanke and Ings coming on early in the 2nd half.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #393: Feb 15, 2018 11:50:42 am
      European Master Class Performance!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6352 
      Reply #394: Feb 15, 2018 11:51:01 am
      Being so close to the game can you explain to me how James Milner managed to blag the referee that the late tackle he'd just done wasn't a yellow card on at least ten different occasions?

God like.

He should have had at least three yellows :D
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #395: Feb 15, 2018 11:54:52 am
      I don't think we should do ourselves down by being over critical of the opposition.  The media like to do that enough. 

Let's not forget they got out of the group at the expense of Naby Keita's Leipzig and Monaco. 

Last night was their heaviest ever home defeat in European football and the first time they've conceded more than 3 at home in a European game.

We were simply very very good.  Imagine what the teams in Germany are thinking after their league's second placed side were knocked out over 6 games by a team we've just taken apart.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #396: Feb 15, 2018 11:57:05 am
      It's crazy how he got away with so many fouls. I suspect he wouldn't have been so effective if he had an early booking. He was my MOTM too. A shout out to Wijnaldum who, along with Milner covered a lot of ground and played well too!

Thought the same, Milner could easily have copped for 2 yellows there only for some brilliant refereeing.
      The game flowed well despite some Spurs-like cheating/diving from Porto and a weaker ref could have affected the result, comparisons with the Spuds game are again appropriate.
      « Last Edit: Feb 15, 2018 03:16:27 pm by stuey »
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #397: Feb 15, 2018 12:11:24 pm
      Porto,s manager has a conundrum...
      Does he field his strongest team and go all out for the win and in doing put their hope of winning the title back home in jeopardy, or use it as a friendly and give some of the player coming back from injury and his fringe a run out...?   

Porto will need to score six unanswered goals at Anfield to go through to the QF, which I can see them doing...

For the return at Anfield I would like to see the front three on the Bench and players like Ings , Woodburn and Solanke given an outing Gomez for AA, Moreno for Robinson Can, Lallana and the Ox in midfield. CB Lovren and VVD

Bench should consist of...

SUBS...Salah, Mane, Milner, TAA, Matip, Migs and Brewster

Karius

Gomez      Lovren     VVD   Moreno

Can
                                         AOC                                   Lallana

Ings                 Solanke           Woodburn

Even if we lose this 2 or 3 nil it will give these players 90 mins or so of football

That's all very well Donovan (or the real Donovan) but who is Robinson? ;)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #398: Feb 15, 2018 12:17:58 pm
      ... and now off to Marbs for a few days.

Deserved.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #399: Feb 15, 2018 01:07:03 pm
      I agree but for the sake of the players in the long run it will do us good. It feels like it's been non stop since before Christmas and as good as these runs are for momentum to keep the players in peak condition for as long as possible makes these breaks very welcome in my opinion!

Jürgen could invite us to the training camp in Spain to be towel boys, couldn't he?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #400: Feb 15, 2018 01:16:17 pm
      Wouldn't want to take anything away from that performance, but how sh*t were Porto? I don't think we even had to leave second gear to win that.😁

Has anyone ever mentioned that you could ruin a wet dream?

Unreal.

There is NO taking away from THAT performance.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #401: Feb 15, 2018 01:18:36 pm
      Football is about momentum, about sending a message.
      This isn't Rodgers v Madrid where he put up the white flag before the match started.

Start the strongest team.
      Maybe even get a record CL scoreline.
      Hook the front 3 when the job is done.
      Send a f**king message.

Sorry mate, but I completely disagree.  We've got United at the toilet a few days after this return fixture.  The tie is in the bag.  We've got an opportunity to rest the "Thrilling Three" and get some minutes for Ings, Lallana, and Ox. 

If Chelsea do us a favor then we could be in 2nd by the time we play the scum.  This is an ideal opportunity to stick the knife in.  I'd rather see Mourinho in agony than post another 5-0 "statement win" against an already beaten side.
      Mickred
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts | 53 
      Reply #402: Feb 15, 2018 01:21:22 pm
      I know Porto were pretty poor and that was partly down to us, but i don't think we played as well as we could have either.  it was a perfect display.

If it we were only 2 or 3 up then i would agree to play a strong team to finish the 2nd leg off ASAP then make changes, but i cannot see us letting 6 goals in without reply.  So i am all for changes to the team.

YNWA
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #403: Feb 15, 2018 01:51:30 pm

I've no problem with making a few changes, and Klopp has done that more than anyone else this season.

A rare time I disagree with you on here. Resting a number of our starters would be reaping the fruit of our success in the first leg. The benefit is primarily the United match, 3 1/2 days later. It allows us to play a full strength team at Newcastle the weekend before, and have our first XI with a proper week to prepare for what will be a huge rivalry match.

(EDIT: Should add that it is all about freshening up our starters. The minutes for the others are of limited value as I doubt they are going to be playing that much for the rest of this season. They'll be rusty before and after this match.)

5-0 win away to the Portugese league leaders is message enough for now.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #404: Feb 15, 2018 01:55:15 pm

You still have the possibility of the front three picking up an injury that way, and the others as I said before need game time...Our defense would still remain strong and Midfield only slightly weakened while giving the front three of Woodburn,Ings and Solanke some much needed and valuable game time, minutes and sharpness against quality opposition without the added pressure of a must win game...

We would also retain a strong bench...
      It would be a win win for us...

Yes I would like to see us set records, but at the end of the day If it is a choice of  setting a record in the CL or a possibility of resting players so we may advance in the League and CL then it would have to be the latter...

I would rather have a fresh Mane,Salah and Bobby if we have to face, Bayern or Chelsea,Barca, Real, Juve', Spurs, Utd, City,Seville all are still possible opponents and records will be scant consolation if we can not get pass these teams.

Just like it is saying that we finish second to Man City in the 2013/14 premier league table with our highest points total ever. Do you think that Chelsea and Arsenal gives a F**k..?? City won the Title that's all what matters
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #405: Feb 15, 2018 01:59:51 pm
      That's all very well Donovan (or the real Donovan) but who is Robinson? ;)
      ;D...  Sometimes (Most of) it is down to my phone, but on this occasion It is all me... I get carried away and  i'm too lazy to proof read  :f_doh:

And who is Donovan..?? ;D
      jimbo1962
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 875 posts | 102 
      Reply #406: Feb 15, 2018 02:28:21 pm
      how is the Portugese  sports press reporting it ? anyone. Are they stunned ?
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #407: Feb 15, 2018 02:37:25 pm
      Porto would need six with out reply and I don't see that happening.
      If Porto win 6-1 (no chance, I know!) they go through on away goals.  Just saying....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #408: Feb 15, 2018 02:47:54 pm
      Sorry mate, but I completely disagree.  We've got United at the toilet a few days after this return fixture.

I genuinely don't think this 'resting' thing has much traction here.  The players are going to have had 10 days off.  We beat Real Madrid and then United a few days later with strong sides. 

Sure they don't have to play for 90 minutes but I think we should select a strong XI.

Let's hope United have a tricky time in Seville next week because then they will also have to be concerned about their second leg after the game v us.
      Tadders

• 6,723 posts | 566 
      Reply #409: Feb 15, 2018 03:00:58 pm
      One of the best performances by an English side in Europe ever.
      we didn't even play at our best.

I hope we get a great quarter final draw.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,907 posts | 4972 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #410: Feb 15, 2018 03:09:52 pm
      I genuinely don't think this 'resting' thing has much traction here.  The players are going to have had 10 days off.  We beat Real Madrid and then United a few days later with strong sides. 

Sure they don't have to play for 90 minutes but I think we should select a strong XI.

Let's hope United have a tricky time in Seville next week because then they will also have to be concerned about their second leg after the game v us.

Agree, start with the same X1, get ourselves a two/three goal lead, then we can start resting, there are 3 1/2 days to recuperate and re-charge before we batter scumchester.

YNWA

The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #411: Feb 15, 2018 03:13:37 pm
      If Porto win 6-1 (no chance, I know!) they go through on away goals.  Just saying....
      Yep that why i advocate our three main strikers on the bench, shouldn't need to use them thought as I believe Porto will also rest players with the League in mind
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #412: Feb 15, 2018 03:15:54 pm
      Sorry mate, but I completely disagree.  We've got United at the toilet a few days after this return fixture.  The tie is in the bag.  We've got an opportunity to rest the "Thrilling Three" and get some minutes for Ings, Lallana, and Ox. 

If Chelsea do us a favor then we could be in 2nd by the time we play the scum.  This is an ideal opportunity to stick the knife in.  I'd rather see Mourinho in agony than post another 5-0 "statement win" against an already beaten side.

100% agree, with a 5-0 lead we just need to make sure we have a fairly decent defence in place plus a solid "DM" and then we can experiment a bit with the attack and midfield. Have some firepower on the bench if needed.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #413: Feb 15, 2018 03:24:08 pm

Just want to point out Sturridge got injured in the first tree minutes the other night... Now I know that was Sturridge but that is how easy things can happen and IMO If Porto plays a team of mostly fringe players and players wanting to prove themselves to the manager tackles will go flying in...

But that's what I would do. But I am not Klopp am I

Quick Reply