Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Porto?

Loris Karius
      1 (0.8%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Dejan Lovren
      2 (1.5%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      5 (3.8%)
      Andy Robertson
      7 (5.3%)
      Jordan Henderson
      1 (0.8%)
      Georginio Wijnaldum
      2 (1.5%)
      James Milner
      19 (14.5%)
      Sadio Mane
      77 (58.8%)
      Roberto Firmino
      11 (8.4%)
      Mohammed Salah
      6 (4.6%)
      Danny Ings
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Joe Gomez
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 127

Voting closed: Feb 18, 2018 09:40:02 pm

FC Porto 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 30274 times
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Re: FC Porto 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #414: Feb 15, 2018 03:29:17 pm
      Jaysus lads.
      By the logic of responses to me some of you would have the front 3 on the bench for the rest of the season for fear of them picking up an injury. Klopp will rotate and manage them as best as he can. Hopefully he doesn't get consumed by fear like some of you on here.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #415: Feb 15, 2018 03:31:09 pm
      I genuinely don't think this 'resting' thing has much traction here.  The players are going to have had 10 days off.  We beat Real Madrid and then United a few days later with strong sides. 

Sure they don't have to play for 90 minutes but I think we should select a strong XI.

Let's hope United have a tricky time in Seville next week because then they will also have to be concerned about their second leg after the game v us.

The 10 days off is before West Ham, but then a week later it is 3 matches in 7 days. Newcastle on the weekend, Porto midweek and then United on the following weekend. He normally rotates when its 3 matches in 7-8 days, and the match to play the weaker side (he'll never call it that) is the Porto match because the round has been decided.

I know he won't make 11 changes (and he should NOT change the goalkeeper), but considering the mileage Mo, Bobby and Sadio put in, plus with the options we have in midfield and at fullback, it would just make sense, for me.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #416: Feb 15, 2018 03:37:41 pm
      The 10 days off is before West Ham, but then a week later it is 3 matches in 7 days. Newcastle on the weekend, Porto midweek and then United on the following weekend. He normally rotates when its 3 matches in 7-8 days, and the match to play the weaker side (he'll never call it that) is the Porto match because the round has been decided.

I know he won't make 11 changes (and he should NOT change the goalkeeper), but considering the mileage Mo, Bobby and Sadio put in, plus with the options we have in midfield and at fullback, it would just make sense, for me.

If we go back to when it was the "fab 4" Klopp would rotate 2 of the 4.
      Wouldn't be surprised to see Mane and/or Salah on the bench but with Firmino the focus of an attack with maybe Ox or Solanke etc.
      Mind you I think when that happened that the formation shifted to a 4-2-2-2, so it could be Firmino and Solanke up front with Ox wide.
      Would give us strength in both areas. Would be surprised to see all 3 benched.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #417: Feb 15, 2018 03:55:06 pm
      Wouldn't be surprised to see Mane and/or Salah on the bench but with Firmino the focus of an attack with maybe Ox or Solanke etc.
      Mind you I think when that happened that the formation shifted to a 4-2-2-2, so it could be Firmino and Solanke up front with Ox wide.

Spot on that he didn't typically rest them all at once. I'm thinking because of the round being virtually done, he might this time as Newcastle comes after a proper week to prepare AND could prove a tricky one for us, anyway. We'll see what the lovable madman has in store.

harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #418: Feb 15, 2018 04:16:14 pm
      Jaysus lads.
      By the logic of responses to me some of you would have the front 3 on the bench for the rest of the season for fear of them picking up an injury. Klopp will rotate and manage them as best as he can. Hopefully he doesn't get consumed by fear like some of you on here.

Why risk an injury in a meaningless game?  If Mo or Bobby went down in the return leg, we'd be fu**ed.  It could genuinely ruin the rest of our season, and for what?  None of them need to play for us to hold onto a 5 goal lead. 

We only need to rest the front 3.  We have suitable cover in all other areas. 

I'd never suggest playing a weakened side in a game that had any sort of value, but this tie is done and dusted. 
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #419: Feb 15, 2018 04:18:41 pm

For me it as been Firmino who as look jaded the last couple of games... Don't know just have a sneaky feeling that he is carrying a injury
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #420: Feb 15, 2018 04:19:50 pm
      Why risk an injury in a meaningless game?  If Mo or Bobby went down in the return leg, we'd be fu**ed.  It could genuinely ruin the rest of our season, and for what?  None of them need to play for us to hold onto a 5 goal lead. 

We only need to rest the front 3.  We have suitable cover in all other areas. 

I'd never suggest playing a weakened side in a game that had any sort of value, but this tie is done and dusted. 

It's almost like I haven't watched a season where we are equally capable of scoring 5 or conceding 5.
      Thankfully I don't think Klopp will treat the home leg with the same type of contempt.

For me it as been Firmino who as look jaded the last couple of games... Don't know just have a sneaky feeling that he is carrying a injury

I thought the same with Mane and Salah at points this season,
      which was why I was happy to see 2 of the 4 rotated at times.

No luxury of that anymore, but would understand 2 of the 3 being rested.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #421: Feb 15, 2018 05:03:18 pm

If he gets injured doing one of those Kung Fu goal celebrations, so help me....I'll turn this car right around and it's no holiday for any of us!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #422: Feb 15, 2018 05:15:24 pm
      Has anyone ever mentioned that you could ruin a wet dream?

Unreal.

There is NO taking away from THAT performance.

Eh? Perhaps you didn't comprehend what I wrote, but basically I'm saying that porto were an embarrassment to themselves, I expected then to give us a game! At no point did I play down our performance, we eased to a win.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #423: Feb 15, 2018 05:22:59 pm
      I got lucky that my Valentine's Day dinner ended a little early and went home to watch the game and I arrived two minutes before the match. I thought we were played good. I enjoyed seeing Van Dijk and Lovren commanding their areas and doing crucial tackles. Trent and Robertson played very well.

My MOTM was Milner because he was our engine however Mane obviously stool the limelight and rightly so!

I liked that our front three aren't 'jealous' enough to hurt the team. They are playing together knowing that they won't be playing against each for spaces and that helped us have harmony between all three.

Now, we need to be professional to control the next leg at home. We should rotate slightly but not so much so that loses harmony.
      harrydunn08

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Reply #424: Feb 15, 2018 05:27:32 pm
      It's almost like I haven't watched a season where we are equally capable of scoring 5 or conceding 5.
      Thankfully I don't think Klopp will treat the home leg with the same type of contempt.

Question #1
      Do you think this team could do the job of not losing by 5 or more goals:

Karius
      TAA - Matip - Lovren - Moreno
      Chambo - Can - Gini - Milner
      Lallana
      Ings

Question #2
      Would you be upset if we played a full strength side and one of Mane, Bobby, or Mo suffered a serious injury? 

If you answer yes to both of these questions, then why would you risk any of them in a meaningless game?

We (most of the fans on here -- not specifically you) regularly complain about our inability to change our approach and close out a game.  This is the same thing -- it is game management, but with the bigger picture in mind.  A win over Utd is far more important than making a statement in a tie that has already been decided. 

I know I won't change your mind on this, but I really hope Klopp rests all 3 + VVD in the return leg. 
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #425: Feb 15, 2018 06:01:04 pm
      Question #1

Karius
      Lallana
      Ings

Question #2
      Would you be upset if we played a full strength side and one of Mane, Bobby, or Mo suffered a serious injury? 

If you answer yes to both of these questions, then why would you risk any of them in a meaningless game?

We (most of the fans on here -- not specifically you) regularly complain about our inability to change our approach and close out a game.  This is the same thing -- it is game management, but with the bigger picture in mind.  A win over Utd is far more important than making a statement in a tie that has already been decided. 

I know I won't change your mind on this, but I really hope Klopp rests all 3 + VVD in the return leg. 

I would play like this and they all need to show they deserve to play.

NB: Team no longer available
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #426: Feb 15, 2018 06:25:41 pm
      I got lucky that my Valentine's Day dinner ended a little early and went home to watch the game and I arrived two minutes before the match. I thought we were played good. I enjoyed seeing Van Dijk and Lovren commanding their areas and doing crucial tackles. Trent and Robertson played very well.

My MOTM was Milner because he was our engine however Mane obviously stool the limelight and rightly so!

I liked that our front three aren't 'jealous' enough to hurt the team. They are playing together knowing that they won't be playing against each for spaces and that helped us have harmony between all three.

Now, we need to be professional to control the next leg at home. We should rotate slightly but not so much so that loses harmony.

Jeez Clint Valentines dinner and her birthday a wee while ago on match nights.......and you’ve taken her out both times!

Unlike Migs - you are a keeper ;)
      hardcoresoldier
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,104 posts | 1275 
      • The Liverpool Way is The Only Way
      Reply #427: Feb 15, 2018 06:34:14 pm
      As poor as Porto were that was an excellent performance and result. When the clinicality is there we are devastating, regardless of the opponent. How many times have we played teams off the park and lost or drawn? Too many times.

racer was correct in what he said, we have played like this often and lost. We need the consistency.

Anyway, fantastic result but i am not going to be arrogant enough to say we are definitely through to the next round. Anything can happen in football, however unlikely it may seem. Let's remain professional and get the job done.

So happy for Mane, that treble will have done him the world of good, over the last few games he was starting to look overwhelmed by the Salah effect.

Robertson settling in nicely and Virgil van Dijk shouting, pointing and organising the defence, very commanding and has made a massive difference to the team.
      clint_call01
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      Reply #428: Feb 15, 2018 06:36:45 pm
      Jeez Clint Valentines dinner and her birthday a wee while ago on match nights.......and you’ve taken her out both times!

Haha, you remember so well. I'm lucky as well with her, she understands. Plus, I used to play as a keeper with my National team U18s but got a very bad knee injury.
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #429: Feb 15, 2018 07:00:12 pm
      wow so much fun.Actually had some one to watch the game with cos a couple couldn't handle the sound pollution of the Real/psg game at the offi bar then watched the game again with a Dub in town from North Carolina,good craic.I'm suffering for it today.
      Danzel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,305 posts | 1113 
      Reply #430: Feb 15, 2018 07:43:41 pm
      It's going to take some doing to get that grinn of off my face, haven't been this happy and excited in quite a while.

Karius: Not much to do, but again good and quick distribution, quick off his line when needed and seems to be growing in confidence game by game. People who know him from Mainz know how good he can be.

Trent-Alexander: Have to admit I was worried before the game. Almost all teams target him and with a quick and good dribbler like Brahimi I didn't see it going down well. Pleasently surprised at how well he did in the 1 vs 1 situations, did brilliantly and solid going forward.

Lovren and Van Dijk: My preferred partnership. I know Lovren has a mistake in him, but I've always defended him and still think he's a good CB. He has all the (physical) attributes to be a top notch CB. A calming influence like Van Dijk next to him might bring the best out of him. Solid performance by the central duo, long may it continue.

Robertson: Thought he went a bit off the boil after the City game, but was back to his best yesterday. Solid at the back and good going forward. Like Klopp said after the game, good to see his crosses are back.

Midfield trio: Henderson still not up to full fitness, bit of an average game by the skipper. Wijnaldum and Milner both did very well. Finally Wijnaldum seems to have been given the freedom to go forward again and it has shown in his last two performances, much better by the Dutchman. What a performance by Milner too. As everyone said, incredible he managed to go get off the pitch without being booked.

Salah: Words can't describe how good this guy is, cool as a cucumber with that second goal, great touch and finish. Worked hard.

Mane: Even when he's not fully on his game, he's a constant threat from all over the pitch, you can not leave him out of your sight or he's gone. Very happy for the lad that he managed to score his hattrick, hopefully he can continue on this path.

Firmino: World-f**king-class. No more needs to be said about this guy. Been banging the Firmino drum for ages, very happy that finally the majority of the fanbase sees what he's all about. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #431: Feb 15, 2018 09:09:47 pm
      If he gets injured doing one of those Kung Fu goal celebrations, so help me....I'll turn this car right around and it's no holiday for any of us!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #432: Feb 15, 2018 09:16:15 pm

Was in Tesco earlier that day, and was shocked at the amount of men buying cards,chocolates, flowers etc and what when through  my mind at the time was "I wonder just how many of these men are buy this stuff so they get to watch the football in peace tonight"... I know, how warped is that  :roll:
      « Last Edit: Feb 15, 2018 09:23:51 pm by The Real Donavan Ried »
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #433: Feb 15, 2018 09:20:24 pm

If she dumps him, i'll dump my wife just to start going out with him  xxxxx:action-smiley-065: ;D ;D (She supporters Spurs)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #434: Feb 15, 2018 10:10:52 pm
      Question #1

Karius
      Lallana
      Ings

Question #2

I see Clyne is back training. Between him, TAA & Gomez I wouldn't want Moreno on the bench, never mind starting.
      Can't see Klopp going 4-4-1-1 anytime soon, but Milner - Can - Wijnaldum in the midfield 3 should work.
      Ox - Ings - Lallana in the front 3? Still think it needs Firmino or Salah in there to work.

Our squad is wafer thin. I know it runs the risk of injuries to key players.
      Why would I be upset? It's not a meaningless game. It's the 2nd leg of the Champions League.
      A job still has to be done despite the fact most on here think otherwise.
      Since Coutinho has been sold and not replaced in the LW/LM area it was always a risk.
      One match won't change that. It is a season long problem faced because of the actions of January, not one match.

If Klopp rotates around 2 of the 3, in line with what he's done all season,
      while making 2 or 3 other changes then I would hope most fans see he was keeping the squad fresh
      while at the same time keeping some form of fluency and continuity in the team.
      Granted not everyone will see it like that but I can't change that.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #435: Feb 15, 2018 10:34:51 pm
      The tie is done and dusted. 5-0 and absolutely no way back at Anfield. The result means we can rest as many of them as we can get away with, with the United game in mind a few days later.

Karius - Moreno - Klavan (if fit)- Matip - Gomez - Ox - Milner - Can - Ings - Woodburn - Solankie.

It would no doubt be a depressing watch but there we go.
      The Real Donavan Ried

• 5,120 posts | 949 
      Reply #436: Feb 15, 2018 10:51:49 pm
      As poor as Porto were that was an excellent performance and result. When the clinicality is there we are devastating, regardless of the opponent. How many times have we played teams off the park and lost or drawn? Too many times.

racer was correct in what he said, we have played like this often and lost. We need the consistency.

Anyway, fantastic result but i am not going to be arrogant enough to say we are definitely through to the next round. Anything can happen in football, however unlikely it may seem. Let's remain professional and get the job done.

So happy for Mane, that treble will have done him the world of good, over the last few games he was starting to look overwhelmed by the Salah effect.

Robertson settling in nicely and Virgil van Dijk shouting, pointing and organising the defence, very commanding and has made a massive difference to the team.

It is not about being arrogant

Ok… the Liga table looks like this…

Porto 55 pts

Benfica 53 pts

Sporting Lisbon 53 pts

Now let’s turn this around…

Liverpool loses 5-0 at Anfield in the first leg of the last 16 in the CL.

We have to go to The Estádio do Dragão in a game where we have little chance of qualifying to the QF of the CL, But we currently sit top in the Premier league and have City and Chelsea both two points behind us…

We have half a game in hand (abandon half time) but we are a goal down in that game. We have 12 games to play and we last won the title in 2012/13

What do you do with the return game at Porto?

As the manager of LFC you have to know that Porto will not field a full strength side in the second leg; and if so do you realistically believe that LFC can score either five goal without reply thus taking it to extra time or LFC can score six again without reply and win it out right…?

And do fielding a full strength side knowing that you could be realistic could throwing away your chance at winning your title. The first one since you became manager

I believe Port will also field a weaken team

Quick Reply