Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233410 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      VAR
      Feb 18, 2018 11:24:44 pm
      Since VAR is going to be a regular talking point I think it deserves it's own topic. Not sure what section it goes in but I'm sure mods will correct it accordingly if wrong.

Are members in favour of  what's looks like to be the future of football?

Like anything in a new ruling there's always going to be teething problems. All though I haven't seen them I do think long term it's a very good idea. They say it's only to be used in clear and obvious circumstances. That wasn't the case recently as many will know. However, from the letter of the law the correct decision was made even though under suspicious circumstance ( just my opinion)

Are you for it or against it? Thoughts welcome.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: VAR
      Reply #1: Feb 18, 2018 11:36:01 pm
      I'm against it.

I think it's showing to be very slow and when a decision has been made it's still up for debate.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #2: Feb 18, 2018 11:43:48 pm
      I'm against it.

I think it's showing to be very slow and when a decision has been made it's still up for debate.

Presently it is srslfc but can only get better with time once they dot the I and cross the T's
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #3: Feb 18, 2018 11:44:04 pm
      I think I'm out at this point. Mistakes are part of the game and one of the best bits for me. Would have preferred to see timekeeping taken out the refs hands, which would be my priority, and I think referees should be allowed to review a game afterwards and retroactively rescind or dish out cards, but this in-game stuff, not for me.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4: Feb 18, 2018 11:46:21 pm
      Presently it is srslfc but can only get better with time once they dot the I and cross the T's

It's not for me mate and I say that as a fan of other sports that use video refereeing.

It just doesn't fit with football.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #5: Feb 19, 2018 03:14:29 am
      Too clunky for me at the moment so in its current form it's a no from me.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #6: Feb 19, 2018 04:16:00 am

And know when to fit the tv ad breaks in while they deliberate on the VAR decision!!

It's a no from me.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Feb 19, 2018 08:22:21 am
      Na, F**k it off.

Don't want the game slowing down like that NFL does, where they review every bloody play, almost.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #8: Feb 19, 2018 11:46:21 am
      It's not for me mate and I say that as a fan of other sports that use video refereeing.

It just doesn't fit with football.

You watch Irish League mate? We could be doing with it other here given the standard of refereeing.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #9: Feb 19, 2018 11:50:23 am
      Huge fan of it and its way overdue although it does need to be modified to make it fit football better. I'd suggest a tennis style review systems where each managers get a certain amount of reviews per match and in addition the ref can also go to VAR in exceptional circumstances.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #10: Feb 19, 2018 12:11:03 pm
      The question I would ask is how would it be adopted into the lower leagues and at grassroots, otherwise we're making a very big distinction between the professional and amateur game. And usually all the rules of the game encompass all levels. 
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #11: Feb 19, 2018 12:21:59 pm
      I am in favour in principle but needs refining and people need to be made aware of when it is being reviewed to avoid repeats of what happened in the fiorentina v juventus game when 3 minutes after a penalty was given it was overturned but everyone was just stood around not knowing why the penalty wasn't taken
      Kopite78
      Reply #12: Feb 19, 2018 12:33:58 pm
      Huge fan of it and its way overdue although it does need to be modified to make it fit football better. I'd suggest a tennis style review systems where each managers get a certain amount of reviews per match and in addition the ref can also go to VAR in exceptional circumstances.

Team reviews is a no for me.

What a decision isn't given, the team then breaks and looks like a really dangerous break so a manager throws his use of review mainly to stop the break?

Or if the ref allows the break and they score, but then goes to VAR and it is a penalty at the other end? How far do you go back?

It would be used wrongly if manager's were allowed a review

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #13: Feb 19, 2018 01:03:20 pm
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #14: Feb 19, 2018 02:22:31 pm

Definitely get fu**ed off now if it's ruling out Man Utd goals!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #15: Feb 19, 2018 02:37:01 pm
      Team reviews is a no for me.

What a decision isn't given, the team then breaks and looks like a really dangerous break so a manager throws his use of review mainly to stop the break?

Or if the ref allows the break and they score, but then goes to VAR and it is a penalty at the other end? How far do you go back?

It would be used wrongly if manager's were allowed a review

Same as in Tennis, you have to appeal within a certain time limit of the incident and you can only do it a certain number of times per match. It will take some fine tuning but it could absolutely work.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #16: Feb 19, 2018 02:43:17 pm
      Definitely get fu**ed off now if it's ruling out Man Utd goals!!

;D
      Kopite78
      Reply #17: Feb 19, 2018 02:46:16 pm
      Same as in Tennis, you have to appeal within a certain time limit of the incident and you can only do it a certain number of times per match. It will take some fine tuning but it could absolutely work.

In cricket captains have worked out how and when to use it tactically

It would defiantly be abused in football

Not needed in my opinion
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #18: Feb 19, 2018 03:00:04 pm
      In cricket captains have worked out how and when to use it tactically

It would defiantly be abused in football

Not needed in my opinion

I'm not quite sure that the English cricket captains have worked out how to use it tactically yet ;-)

In all seriousness it will take some fine tuning but even if you just have a 5th official watching on TV with the ability to alert the on field ref about a potential review then that would be fine. The main thing is that the fans in the stadium need to be included in the review process at least via audio, if not video screens.
      Kopite78
      Reply #19: Feb 19, 2018 03:12:48 pm
      I'm not quite sure that the English cricket captains have worked out how to use it tactically yet ;-)

In all seriousness it will take some fine tuning but even if you just have a 5th official watching on TV with the ability to alert the on field ref about a potential review then that would be fine. The main thing is that the fans in the stadium need to be included in the review process at least via audio, if not video screens.

Which will never happen as they don't even show replays in the ground
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #20: Feb 19, 2018 07:59:10 pm
      Na, f**k it off.

Don't want the game slowing down like that NFL does, where they review every bloody play, almost.

They don't review every play in the NFL. Coaches get 2 challenges per game, and if they use and win both, they get a third. If they lose a challenge they are penalized a time out (wouldn't affect soccer as there are no timeouts).

I think if they give teams one challenge per game it could work.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #21: Feb 20, 2018 12:25:52 pm
      Quote from AussieRed
      Na, F**k it off.

I don't watch NFL, but I do know their sport takes much longer than ours. Obviously doesn't stop you watching it, or make it less popular. If you can stomach watching cricket games last 5 solid days that end up as a draw, you can allow a football referee take a couple of minutes more as necessary, to get a major decision right.

I'm obviously 100% in favour as it's long overdue. I want to walk out of a stadium, (or finish watching a game) knowing that justice was done, it's not important how long it takes to get the correct decision as long as we get it.

Communication issues need to be improved, but it's here, it's happening, it's correcting wrong decisions made, it's the future of the game at the highest level, and those who object to it are just going to have to get used to it. As in the other sports where it's used, there's no going back to human error officiating anymore.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #22: Feb 20, 2018 01:05:36 pm
      I'm obviously 100% in favour as it's long overdue. I want to walk out of a stadium, (or finish watching a game) knowing that justice was done, it's not important how long it takes to get the correct decision as long as we get it.

So you not counting the fifth European Cup on the back of the uncertainty surrounding Luis Garcia's goal?

Quick Reply