Trending Topics

Next match: Man Utd v LFC [Premier League] Sun 24th Oct @ 4:30 pm
      Old Trafford

Today is the 22nd of October and on this date LFC's match record is P30 W13 D8 L9

Who's the best? Ronaldo or Messi.

Read 3846 times
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,969 posts | 1036 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Re: Who's the best? Ronaldo or Messi.
      Reply #75: Aug 18, 2020 10:30:34 am
      54 million for a 35 year old.  :o. Obviously these two players passed their sell by date but I'd still take any of them on a free where we just pay wages for a season or so.

54M that's crazy - you'd have to guess they'd be vouching on shirt sales for that deal to make sense
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 34,617 posts | 3570 
      Reply #76: Aug 18, 2020 10:59:25 am
      54 million for a 35 year old.  :o. Obviously these two players passed their sell by date but I'd still take any of them on a free where we just pay wages for a season or so.

Ole would certainly agree with you Keith!
      On reflection that could be a concern for you.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,276 posts | 1435 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #77: Aug 18, 2020 11:03:50 am
      Ole would certainly agree with you Keith!
      On reflection that could be a concern for you.

Absolutely, if he agrees I'm in trouble  ;D but he won't  ;D
      verde-rubro
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,325 posts | 133 
      Reply #78: Aug 18, 2020 01:06:21 pm
      54 million and he probably still out score most top strikers
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 26,340 posts | 4473 
      Reply #79: Aug 18, 2020 01:51:37 pm

Ronaldo is a generational talent that keeps his body and fitness at a ridiculously high level. If fact, there's plenty of men 10 years his younger that wish they had his pace and stamina.

54m is a bargain for him as long as you don't need him to play much defense. He's still gonna score bucket loads of goals.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,117 posts | 4996 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #80: Aug 19, 2020 01:53:09 am
      Ronaldo is a generational talent that keeps his body and fitness at a ridiculously high level. If fact, there's plenty of men 10 years his younger that wish they had his pace and stamina.

54m is a bargain for him as long as you don't need him to play much defense. He's still gonna score bucket loads of goals.

Spot on and his height in his jump that he gets on his headers, amazes me!

Think him and Virg and Gini (Barcelona game  ;D ) are the only other 2 players that I can remember getting up that high. Ok throw in Dejan against Dortmund.  :D :D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,276 posts | 1435 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #81: Sep 29, 2021 10:45:07 pm
      Come on lads admit it  ;D even if your biased you can still say he's the second best player in the world and at worse still in the top 10 for a OAP  ;D

Ps... Calling HR, come in, over!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42,240 posts | 4913 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #82: Sep 30, 2021 08:12:45 am
      Come on lads admit it  ;D even if your biased you can still say he's the second best player in the world and at worse still in the top 10 for a OAP  ;D

He’s still in the top 10 but lower down in the top 10 now.
      Salah, KDB, Lewandowski all definitely ahead of him IMO. Could make a strong case Haaland and Van Dijk are ahead of him too.

For as good as he still is, he’s essentially just a poacher now, I don’t think you are going to get him dominating games like he used to. His instincts in and around the 6 yard box are spot on though so he’s still a 25+ goal a season player.
      « Last Edit: Sep 30, 2021 08:22:16 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,495 posts | 575 
      • COME ON THE REDMEN !
      Reply #83: Sep 30, 2021 09:18:12 am
      Messi is best between these 2, no question, more natural ability and even to this day is doing genius stuff. Ronaldo is to be praised for being an amazing athlete, who has worked like fuk to get where he is.

But Pele is still the all time best.

And I still prefer watching clips of the real ronaldo over the CR7.

And wee Mo is up there with these 2 now too.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,276 posts | 1435 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #84: Sep 30, 2021 10:41:46 am
      He’s still in the top 10 but lower down in the top 10 now.
      Salah, KDB, Lewandowski all definitely ahead of him IMO. Could make a strong case Haaland and Van Dijk are ahead of him too.

For as good as he still is, he’s essentially just a poacher now, I don’t think you are going to get him dominating games like he used to. His instincts in and around the 6 yard box are spot on though so he’s still a 25+ goal a season player.

Yeah Ive basically stated the same thing in past post ( goal hanger ) yeah it's remarkable at his age he can still be in the top ten. He did me a favour with our £20 bet though.  :f_whistle:
      AlwaysTheKop
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,234 posts | 601 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #85: Sep 30, 2021 12:14:14 pm
      For me Ronaldo has worked his arse off to become to player he is, and all credit to him, but Messi, Messi is different, he was born special.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,276 posts | 1435 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #86: Sep 30, 2021 12:57:01 pm
      For me Ronaldo has worked his arse off to become to player he is, and all credit to him, but Messi, Messi is different, he was born special.

The fact that everyone debates over the last ten years or so who is best is a testament that both players were. No 1 & 2 in what ever order our opinions are. Both players are truly amazing. Will be interesting to see if Messi can do it at 36  when he gets there.
      UncleBob
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 954 posts | 176 
      Reply #87: Oct 01, 2021 12:28:34 am
      I think at their peaks Messi was better but ronaldo has maintained a higher level for longer in his career.

Also ronaldo has worked so hard to get to that level that he’s an inspiration to many people. I used to wonder if I stared playing snooker every day for 12 hours, surely after a couple of years I would be great.... well that’s what ronaldo has done.

Messi was just born with natural gifts that most people are not born with.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,276 posts | 1435 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #88: Oct 01, 2021 10:34:44 am
      I think at their peaks Messi was better but ronaldo has maintained a higher level for longer in his career.

Also ronaldo has worked so hard to get to that level that he’s an inspiration to many people. I used to wonder if I stared playing snooker every day for 12 hours, surely after a couple of years I would be great.... well that’s what ronaldo has done.

Messi was just born with natural gifts that most people are not born with.

That's a pretty good assessment Bob.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 33,490 posts | 5713 
      Reply #89: Oct 01, 2021 04:56:14 pm

2nd best behind Salah.

Yep sounds fair to me!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,117 posts | 4996 
      Reply #90: Oct 03, 2021 09:22:24 pm
      Mo Salah!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,276 posts | 1435 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #91: Oct 03, 2021 11:05:59 pm
      2nd best behind Salah.

Yep sounds fair to me!!

Does he make top ten over the last decade?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 42,240 posts | 4913 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #92: Oct 03, 2021 11:46:45 pm

Given his number of goals and assists in the last 5 years, setting new Premier League records, winning the Champions League and Premier League, I think it’s fair to say he does. Remember, since he signed for us, only Lewandowski and Ronaldo have more CL goals than him, not even Messi who is arguably the greatest of all time, scored a ridiculous amount of goals isn’t even ahead of him.

For the dominance of Messi and Ronaldo over the last 12 years or whatever, there has been several times they’ve been given the Balon d’Or because of who they are rather than based on performance. Iniesta, Ribery, Salah, Van Dijk and Lewandowski should all have one to their name in that time and the way Salah and Lewandowski are going at the moment, they should both have been in with a shout of getting a 2nd.

So yes, definitely think Salah is top 10 over the last decade. Don’t forget, at Roma he started to hit the good numbers with 34 goals and 22 assists in just 83 games.
      « Last Edit: Oct 03, 2021 11:53:34 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,276 posts | 1435 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #93: Oct 04, 2021 04:19:47 am
      Given his number of goals and assists in the last 5 years, setting new Premier League records, winning the Champions League and Premier League, I think it’s fair to say he does. Remember, since he signed for us, only Lewandowski and Ronaldo have more CL goals than him, not even Messi who is arguably the greatest of all time, scored a ridiculous amount of goals isn’t even ahead of him.

For the dominance of Messi and Ronaldo over the last 12 years or whatever, there has been several times they’ve been given the Balon d’Or because of who they are rather than based on performance. Iniesta, Ribery, Salah, Van Dijk and Lewandowski should all have one to their name in that time and the way Salah and Lewandowski are going at the moment, they should both have been in with a shout of getting a 2nd.

So yes, definitely think Salah is top 10 over the last decade. Don’t forget, at Roma he started to hit the good numbers with 34 goals and 22 assists in just 83 games.

Think my opinion on who's the best has changed a few times in the last ten years or so based on the fact sometimes one year it's Messi then another it's Ronaldo. That's why like you I say arguably and wouldn't argue either side based on that.m

It will be interesting to see if Messi can add another two years to his portfolio given Ronaldo is two years older than him. It amazes me how Ronaldo year after year keeps himself in amazing state and never really gets injured which is without doubt due to his training technics.

Salah is probably playing the best football of his life for me at the moment, even better than when he had that crazy year when he scored ( I think ) 32 goals. Yesterday's goal will be contender for goal of the season for sure.

On current form you'd certainly put Salah in the top 5 as he's on fire. Best in the world though? On recent games you could argue that but we don't really based best player in the world on recent games. 
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,117 posts | 4996 
      Reply #94: Oct 04, 2021 10:45:35 pm

F**k yeah!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,276 posts | 1435 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #95: Oct 04, 2021 10:48:50 pm
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,117 posts | 4996