Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

Sack VAR
      104 (69.8%)
      Keep VAR
      42 (28.2%)
      Not bothered.
      3 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 148

VAR

Read 233347 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Re: VAR
      Reply #1196: Jun 10, 2021 10:37:39 pm
      "Premier League to use thicker lines when assessing offside calls next season"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57435400

Here's a novel ideal - why not use different referees? David Coote's shambolic and embarrassing afternoon's work during the derby back in October still wrangles with me. And yet we're stuck with people like that. Hand on heart, I think VAR can be used for good as the referees during the 2018 World Cup proved. Back then no English referees were invited to that tournament. You can see why from the last couple of seasons in the Premier League. The standard is appalling. They're not just unfit to use the technology at hand, but some are physically unfit to referee on the field as well. They command absolutely no authority and little if any respect because of how useless they are. It's farcical that someone like Martin Atkinson continues to be put forward by the FA as England's top referee. That guy's just a F***ing clown.

The worst thing is, with VAR operated by these clowns you are seeing their thought processes play out as they edit in real time, live in front of millions of viewers as they shift and squint the lines to fit whatever agenda that want to chicken out of (or out of sheer bias perhaps?) or just out of sheer incompetence. It's a complete horror show. Like watching your nan break dancing.
      « Last Edit: Jun 10, 2021 10:45:47 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1197: Jun 11, 2021 09:01:09 am

Here's a novel ideal - why not use different referees? David Coote's shambolic and embarrassing afternoon's work during the derby back in October still wrangles with me. And yet we're stuck with people like that. Hand on heart, I think VAR can be used for good as the referees during the 2018 World Cup proved. Back then no English referees were invited to that tournament. You can see why from the last couple of seasons in the Premier League. The standard is appalling. They're not just unfit to use the technology at hand, but some are physically unfit to referee on the field as well. They command absolutely no authority and little if any respect because of how useless they are. It's farcical that someone like Martin Atkinson continues to be put forward by the FA as England's top referee. That guy's just a f**king clown.

The worst thing is, with VAR operated by these clowns you are seeing their thought processes play out as they edit in real time, live in front of millions of viewers as they shift and squint the lines to fit whatever agenda that want to chicken out of (or out of sheer bias perhaps?) or just out of sheer incompetence. It's a complete horror show. Like watching your nan break dancing.

I just don't know what to make of these new thicker lines. I suppose time will tell but won't be holding my breath with the results. I see the logic but with the fools behind the decisions God only knows.  :f_doh:
      rossyred
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,091 posts | 1632 
      Reply #1198: Jun 11, 2021 09:46:42 am

Here's a novel ideal - why not use different referees? David Coote's shambolic and embarrassing afternoon's work during the derby back in October still wrangles with me. And yet we're stuck with people like that. Hand on heart, I think VAR can be used for good as the referees during the 2018 World Cup proved. Back then no English referees were invited to that tournament. You can see why from the last couple of seasons in the Premier League. The standard is appalling. They're not just unfit to use the technology at hand, but some are physically unfit to referee on the field as well. They command absolutely no authority and little if any respect because of how useless they are. It's farcical that someone like Martin Atkinson continues to be put forward by the FA as England's top referee. That guy's just a f**king clown.

Can understand the rationale but by creating thicker lines are you not making someone onside who was offside 🤔 Be interesting   to see how it pans out
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1199: Jun 11, 2021 12:41:28 pm
      Can understand the rationale but by creating thicker lines are you not making someone onside who was offside 🤔 Be interesting   to see how it pans out

Basically yes is how I also read it Rossy. Bit like a driving fines whereas if it's between 30/35 they'll let you off.  :lmao:

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1200: Jun 11, 2021 02:09:37 pm

Here's a novel ideal - why not use different referees? David Coote's shambolic and embarrassing afternoon's work during the derby back in October still wrangles with me. And yet we're stuck with people like that. Hand on heart, I think VAR can be used for good as the referees during the 2018 World Cup proved. Back then no English referees were invited to that tournament. You can see why from the last couple of seasons in the Premier League. The standard is appalling. They're not just unfit to use the technology at hand, but some are physically unfit to referee on the field as well. They command absolutely no authority and little if any respect because of how useless they are. It's farcical that someone like Martin Atkinson continues to be put forward by the FA as England's top referee. That guy's just a F***ing clown.

I've always said the problem is not with VAR, it is with how it is implemented, interpreted and ref'd.

As my lad likes to say about people who don't use computers very well: "The problem exists between keyboard and chair."
      I think as far as VAR goes, that's pretty F***ing apt.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1201: Jun 12, 2021 08:12:16 pm
      Den v Fin

Are the rules different in the Euros?? Goalkeeper well off his line for the penalty. Aren't they suppose to take it again?
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #1202: Jun 20, 2021 02:58:08 pm
      Den v Fin

Are the rules different in the Euros?? Goalkeeper well off his line for the penalty. Aren't they suppose to take it again?

No, it’s just that VAR is being implemented the way it was designed for mate and not manipulated by the PGMOL for their own purposes, so far in the Euro’s refereeing has been pretty much spot on , games being allowed to flow and any decisions from VAR nigh on perfect, the result being we have a good competition, has been entertaining for the most part and dare I say quite enjoyable, i can’t see that changing any time soon and I hope the refs from our league take heed and perhaps advise those who control them that the UEFA VAR model actually works and to stop interfering with a system that actually helps them do their jobs more effectively, but alas, don’t get holding your breath!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1203: Jun 22, 2021 09:50:50 pm
      Yet again VAR confuses me.  :f_doh: It's not so much as a complaint but have you noticed very little involvement and no time really being wasted for a decision? Why can't this happen in the Premier league?

On a side not the refereeing on a whole has been exceptionally good in the Euros
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #1204: Jun 22, 2021 10:10:33 pm
      I used to be dead set against it however I am now not fussed as long as the rules are implemented consistently, efficiently and in a way that limits silliness. Construing as offside a player who strays beyond a defender by the width of a fingernail must be consigned to the dustbin. I don't think they have the balance right in the PL. Hopefully this improves with time.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1205: Jul 07, 2021 09:36:27 pm
      They don't fcuk about with VAR in the Euro's. It's over in less than a min everytime. Why not in the League

Mork calling LFCATW.... Nano nana
      PTU
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,079 posts | 630 
      Reply #1206: Jul 07, 2021 09:40:50 pm
      They don't fcuk about with VAR in the Euro's. It's over in less than a min everytime. Why not in the League

Mork calling LFCATW.... Nano nana
      Might have something to do with the competence (or lack thereof) of English referees...
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1207: Jul 08, 2021 02:47:53 pm
      Might have something to do with the competence (or lack thereof) of English referees...

Yep exactly something to do with useless English referees.

Been shown up big time in this tournament.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1208: Jul 08, 2021 05:48:23 pm
      Yep exactly something to do with useless English referees.

Been shown up big time in this tournament.

I'm hoping a lesson learned by it but won't be holding my breath.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1209: Aug 08, 2021 09:05:28 am
      Looking like one or two changes come the 20/21 season.

The idea that a player has to go down to guarantee a penalty is one that the governed most of modern football, but such "streetwise/ diving " moves could be stamped out this season. Also the benefit of doubt returns to the attacker for all offside decisions.

Players will be told that they will get penalties when they stay on their feet as referees and VAR are instructed to look at the nature of contact.
      The application of the offside rule has also been tweaked to try and eliminate marginal calls that come down to centimetres with the use of thicker "broadcast" line essentially returning the benefit of the doubt to the attacker.

I like the tweaks but I'm pretty sure we will still complain.  ;D
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1210: Aug 15, 2021 08:37:24 am
      Early days I know but was nice to see more free flowing football yesterday. So far so good with a couple of the new rules.. Defo liking the thicker line which gives the forward the benefit of doubt. Will fcuk LFCTW though  ;D
      « Last Edit: Aug 15, 2021 09:12:19 am by Keith Singleton »
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #1211: Aug 15, 2021 02:10:35 pm
      How the F**k did Burnley get away with their first goal shocking
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1212: Aug 16, 2021 04:42:30 pm
      How the F**k did Burnley get away with their first goal shocking

Going to be a lot of that this season. I'll accept it as it takes F***ing VAR out of the gane more.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1213: Aug 16, 2021 07:16:21 pm
      Going to be a lot of that this season. I'll accept it as it takes f**king VAR out of the gane more.

I know it's the first weekend of VAR changes but overall happy with the free flowing football along with the thicker lines. It's a positive move forward after last seasons constant errors.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1214: Aug 19, 2021 08:55:49 pm
      There were very few errors last year.

Quote from fields of anny rd
      Going to be a lot of that this season. I'll accept it.

Let's see how many posters here will just "accept it" on Saturday, because you know it's coming. Slight nudges are fair, shoving your opponent to the ground is a foul.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1215: Oct 04, 2021 10:45:53 pm
      After 70 league games, this thread would usually be very active. The fact it's not, shows either the refereeing is better or VAR has improved.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Reply #1216: Oct 05, 2021 06:26:04 pm
      Or people can’t be bothered anymore
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #1217: Oct 05, 2021 07:54:46 pm

Think we've all got fed up of you know who talking sh!te so stopped posting  :lmao:
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #1218: Oct 28, 2021 08:40:50 pm
      From the Laugh at mancs thread;

Quote from DanMann
      Sky Sports have a clip showing Dermot Gallagher reviewing the referee's performance and agreeing with every decision.

He doesn't agree with every decision, especially in the backward leagues that allow cheating to thrive and don't want justice done on the spot. With VAR though, it's harder for him to find decisions that have to be questioned.

He's looking at every decision from a refereeing perspective. Fans look at it from whether the decision benefits them or not. That's the difference. Neil Jones of Goal astonishingly called VAR "the worst thing ever in football" 6 months ago, yet when asked to comment on the Pogba dismissal, said he had no arguments with it.

Quote from verde-rubro

While that may or may not be the case, I am.

After the first quarter of this season, we've had 4 decisions go our way with VAR, in comparison to just 1 against. We've also had 2 VAR decisions go our way in the European Cup than would be the case without it. It has resulted in 2 more league points won and 2 more European Cup points won in the group. That's a total of 6 calls v 1 in our favour so far, from the officials able to see incidents at the time as many times as the rest of us. It really can't be the worst thing ever when mistakes are corrected, and when it helps the on field ref make the right decision.

Quick Reply