Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 238633 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,880 posts | 2695 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: VAR
      Reply #138: Jun 18, 2018 07:42:46 pm
      Getting fed up with this VAR. They just reviewed Kane being brought down and nothing given.  :smack:

Lfc across the water your thoughts please??
      « Last Edit: Jun 18, 2018 09:09:16 pm by Keith Singleton »
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #139: Jun 19, 2018 12:27:12 am
      See last post.

From what I saw, there wasn't big appeals for said incidents from England players to the referee, unlike players from other countries. Maybe they've been reminded what their penalty record at major tournaments down the years is.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,880 posts | 2695 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #140: Jun 19, 2018 09:35:25 am
      See last post.

From what I saw, there wasn't big appeals for said incidents from England players to the referee, unlike players from other countries. Maybe they've been reminded what their penalty record at major tournaments down the years is.

Doesn't have to be any appeal for VAR. If ref says VAR, it's VAR. If, when a player is pushed in the back for all they know it could of been one of their own players so none the wiser.

Kane's was the worse VAR call I've seen since its been implemented. If they continue with this farse I'll go off it.  :(
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #141: Jun 19, 2018 09:53:09 am
      Did anyone else notice stones foul his marker when kane was pulled down
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #142: Jun 19, 2018 11:16:45 am
      Did anyone else notice stones foul his marker when kane was pulled down

Missed that one.

VAR doing well for me.  Important however that players who do dive in the area start picking up yellow cards as without that part it will just encourage more and more reviews.

Could be looking at more than 20 pens in this world cup the way its going.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #143: Jun 19, 2018 12:54:23 pm
      It's rather difficult to book players for diving in the area, unless a penalty decision has been overturned.

Aside from that, it's rather pointless diving in the area, as you won't get a penalty either from the ref or VAR. In last year's Confed Cup, Chile had a stonewall penalty turned down in the semi final. They were later told it wasn't reviewed because they didn't appeal for it. So obviously if you appeal, you have a better chance of getting a decision reviewed.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #144: Jun 19, 2018 01:30:10 pm
      9 penalties now and not even every team has played a full game.  Having said that they've all been penalties in my opinion.  How many would have been given without VAR and thus teams harshly done to.

Looking again at last nights two Kane incidents.  Second one can see why it wasnt given, and Kane didn't react much to it really.  He did have his hands on him, but if youre the player in front it's 'easy' to go down and make something look worse.

First one definitely more of a shout but if they're going back to VAR for it then highly likely John Stones did commit the first foul in that period with his push.

It's one thing accurately getting penalty decisions for fouls with players with the ball and handballs, but I'm not sure we can start giving them every time someone gets outmuscled waiting for corners or free kicks or whatever.  Just my opinion.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #145: Jun 19, 2018 01:52:40 pm
      I think we will eventually get to a point where VAR is used universally and used well, but in order to get to that point we are going to have to endure some growing pains which will make people wonder whether we should be moving towards it at all.

lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #146: Jun 19, 2018 02:08:02 pm
      Quote from JD
      Looking again at last nights two Kane incidents.  Second one can see why it wasnt given, and Kane didn't react much to it really.  He did have his hands on him, but if youre the player in front it's 'easy' to go down and make something look worse.

Remember his comment when he jumped onto Karius in February, that if he feels contact he'll just go down.

Unfortunately for him, John Moss isn't in Russia.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #147: Jun 19, 2018 04:02:08 pm
      I think we will eventually get to a point where VAR is used universally and used well, but in order to get to that point we are going to have to endure some growing pains which will make people wonder whether we should be moving towards it at all.

Whatever way it's configurated it will still be humans making the decisions. Yes they will be able to view it from several angles and view it a number of times before giving a decision. Off the ball incidents will get attention as opposed to the ref missing them altogether. But perfection will never happen. Good as it gets more or less.

Liverpool will benefit, not by much but we suspect the rest of the world has got it in for us, so all these cheating anti LFC refs will get their biased decisions overturned by VAR.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #148: Jun 19, 2018 06:05:34 pm
      Whatever way it's configurated it will still be humans making the decisions. Yes they will be able to view it from several angles and view it a number of times before giving a decision. Off the ball incidents will get attention as opposed to the ref missing them altogether. But perfection will never happen. Good as it gets more or less.

Liverpool will benefit, not by much but we suspect the rest of the world has got it in for us, so all these cheating anti LFC refs will get their biased decisions overturned by VAR.
      it depends. If Alex Ferguson is in the VAR room.. do we benefit?  Putin could have been in the room yesterday in Volgograd, nobody will ever know. VAR room is a secret room where nobody knows the occupants. They should be in a place we can see their neutrality.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #149: Jun 19, 2018 06:52:11 pm
      Everybody knows who is there, because we see them and we're told who they are before ko at every game.

Liverpool won't "benefit" from VAR. We'll get what we should get and not what we shouldn't. It's not benefitting, it's justice been done. VAR doesn't do bias, big teams, or big crowds. It's purely a tool to help the on field ref make the right decision

I believe that the VAR judges clearcut incidents e.g. offsides/red cards, and lets the referee decide if/when "subjective" incidents should be reviewed. Hence why pushes are not been penalised as much as they could be. VAR or no VAR, (like Klopp and the transfer committee) the on field ref makes the final decision.

Joke of the week has to be the Mexican "commentary" of their goal v Germany, in typical Latin American style. Typical being a full minute long, to tell his viewers that a goal was scored.

Danny Murphy later asked what would have happened if the goal was then cancelled by VAR.
      lottie1234
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #150: Jun 21, 2018 09:26:54 am
      The problem I have with it is that the laws of the game are often too strict if taken literally, e.g. sending off for "Using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures".  Normally a ref will let that go, but how can VAR have any excuse not to send off every player caught using abusive language?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,880 posts | 2695 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #151: Jun 25, 2018 09:09:33 pm
      Much as im for VAR the decisions tonite were appalling for me. Lets call it THE REFS WORLD CUP.
      Kopite78
      Reply #152: Jun 25, 2018 09:15:30 pm
      Var is F***ing sh*te

I thought it would impact the game overall but it's happened quicker than I imagined
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,880 posts | 2695 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #153: Jun 25, 2018 09:23:36 pm
      Var is f**king sh*te

I thought it would impact the game overall but it's happened quicker than I imagined

It is sh*te at the moment but long term should be good, providing they get theor act together.  :f_doh:
      Kopite78
      Reply #154: Jun 25, 2018 09:31:40 pm
      It is sh*te at the moment but long term should be good, providing they get theor act together.  :f_doh:

Can't see it mate. There's been a few where I've felt it's changed a decision for the good and correct decision. But mainly it's changing the game already. Players constantly asking for var to be used, games slowed and the longer it's gone on through the tournament the more incorrect decisions being made

What needs to be remembered is it's a contact game played at such pace nowadays and when those incidents are slowed down they take natural context away from the incident.
      It's making minimal contact look massive contact and therefore giving incorrect decisions

If it's going to work it should be used only to overturn the clangers such as the Neymar pen against Costa Rica
      For subjective decisions the referee on pitch decision should stand
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,880 posts | 2695 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #155: Jun 25, 2018 09:38:07 pm
      Can't see it mate. There's been a few where I've felt it's changed a decision for the good and correct decision. But mainly it's changing the game already. Players constantly asking for var to be used, games slowed and the longer it's gone on through the tournament the more incorrect decisions being made

What needs to be remembered is it's a contact game played at such pace nowadays and when those incidents are slowed down they take natural context away from the incident.
      It's making minimal contact look massive contact and therefore giving incorrect decisions

If it's going to work it should be used only to overturn the clangers such as the Neymar pen against Costa Rica

I'm in total agreement mate its farcical what's going on presently. The powers that be must surely be thinking the same way as many fans do after tonites calls. So much needs tweaking they have to act quickly. We want to be talking about football not VAR.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #156: Jun 25, 2018 09:41:43 pm
      VAR corrected the mistake by the linesman for the Spain equaliser and has done so a few times.

Nothing wrong with using technology as long as the person at the other end can interpret correctly.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #157: Jun 25, 2018 09:45:25 pm

Don’t like the ‘it’s a contact sport’ argument.

It’s only a contact sport when it’s shoulder to shoulder. Everything else by law is a push, pull, jump or trip and a foul.
      Kopite78
      Reply #158: Jun 25, 2018 09:48:21 pm
      VAR corrected the mistake by the linesman for the Spain equaliser and has done so a few times.

Nothing wrong with using technology as long as the person at the other end can interpret correctly.

That one was correct too.. but for me it's not those types that are the issue it's more the ones like two in the Portugal game. Both involving Ronaldo and both slowed down and both then viewed by the on field ref who then in my opinion makes the wrong decision on both because the var video slows both down and takes the natural context away.
      The penalty for Ronaldo and the "elbow". Both viewed and both were turned around incorrectly by the on field ref who has his context taken away and super slow motion shown

For the obvious wrong decisions when the game is stopped naturally like he Aspas goal tonight or the Neymar penalty the other day then great.

Maybe i was harsh when I said sh*te but it needs altering how and when it's used and the players and manager's warned that if they ask then it won't be looked at.

For me though trailing something like this on the biggest stage is the wrong time to trail and iron it out
      Kopite78
      Reply #159: Jun 25, 2018 09:49:28 pm
      Don’t like the ‘it’s a contact sport’ argument.

It’s only a contact sport when it’s shoulder to shoulder. Everything else by law is a push, pull, jump or trip and a foul.

But it is a contact sport

Maybe accidentally but it's still contact. There's a difference between a coming together at high speed and a foul
      And when you're judging every coming together as a foul and removing the speed of the action and the context it's wrong

Like it or not
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #160: Jun 25, 2018 09:55:28 pm
      But it is a contact sport

Maybe accidentally but it's still contact. There's a difference between a coming together at high speed and a foul
      And when you're judging every coming together as a foul and removing the speed of the action and the context it's wrong

Like it or not

A coming together than isn’t shoulder to shoulder or deemed as ‘shielding’ is a foul. Every time.

VAR has been amazing. Incompetent bottling referees finally have something to help them out. Justice done against goals that should have stood and didn’t and vice versa. It’s been so refreshing. It’s also not making games longer as there added time is usually 3/4 mins, the same as normal.

I cannot wait to have it in the premier league

Quick Reply