Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233351 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Re: VAR
      Reply #506: Sep 22, 2019 03:09:38 am
      Quote from fields of anny rd
      It's not that factual, the var referee decides where to start the line on the defender and then on the attacker. There is no technology that determines the exact point the ball touches the boot.

If he draws it a millimetre closer from Sons shoulder, or stops it a split second earlier upon contact, Spurs go 2-0 up.

Another ref in the VAR hut and that could have been given. It is entirely subjective.

Broadcasters could tell exactly if someone was offside or not 10-15 years ago on their own footage. The VAR ref now has even more advanced technology than that, such as calibrated lines, which tell him to the millimetre where someone's foot is. He now also has the option of drawing a broken line for shoulders/heads etc in relation to the foot. Although the broken line is mainly for the benefit of broadcasters, it certainly can't be seen in stadiums.

I have no reason to question the technology for offside calls anymore than I question the technology in place on the goalline. Millimetres count for that as well.

I note that as of yet, no offside calls on the pitch have been changed to goals by VAR. So the kind of incident when we were robbed at Arsenal Iast year, has not happened so far. No penalties have been awarded by VAR either, as it's evidently not been used to give them.

We face Milton Keynes next week, (I assume) without VAR. So we have to hope it won't be the difference between us making the next round of the cup or not.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #507: Sep 22, 2019 10:40:52 am
      We face Milton Keynes next week, (I assume) without VAR. So we have to hope it won't be the difference between us making the next round of the cup or not.

The day VAR being in place or not is the difference between us and MK Dons is the day we’ve regressed 4/5 years.

Christ you are actually using the MK Dons tie as support to your VAR love affair. Unbelievable. If we need VAR to beat MK Dons then we are in trouble.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #508: Sep 22, 2019 11:06:05 am
      The day VAR being in place or not is the difference between us and MK Dons is the day we’ve regressed 4/5 years.

Christ you are actually using the MK Dons tie as support to your VAR love affair. Unbelievable. If we need VAR to beat MK Dons then we are in trouble.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #509: Sep 22, 2019 11:41:45 am
      Broadcasters could tell exactly if someone was offside or not 10-15 years ago on their own footage. The VAR ref now has even more advanced technology than that, such as calibrated lines, which tell him to the millimetre where someone's foot is. He now also has the option of drawing a broken line for shoulders/heads etc in relation to the foot. Although the broken line is mainly for the benefit of broadcasters, it certainly can't be seen in stadiums.

I have no reason to question the technology for offside calls anymore than I question the technology in place on the goalline. Millimetres count for that as well.

I note that as of yet, no offside calls on the pitch have been changed to goals by VAR. So the kind of incident when we were robbed at Arsenal Iast year, has not happened so far. No penalties have been awarded by VAR either, as it's evidently not been used to give them.

Hang on. All last season you were telling us that never again will a wrong decision cost teams points or games. But clearly it still happens because they do not utilize VAR and when they do it’s still an incompetent individual making the decision.

So your drumbeat and VAR quiz all of last season was ultimately wrong. How many of those overturned decisions from your VAR quiz would have actually been overruled in practice? Very little.

Stop trying to move the goalposts to make your VAR obsession still seem ‘right’.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #510: Sep 22, 2019 11:49:36 am
      Yes it has changed things. We've been top of the league ever since that City effort v Spurs was correctly changed. In 3 other games, VAR changing wrong decisions has influenced the final result. It's not used as much as I expected, but when it is, it is clearly making a difference to who wins games and who doesn't.

Honestly get a life or find something else to do, cos you sound like a desperate divvy. So we've never been top of the league before or stayed there for a number of weeks without VAR? And you're shitting bricks because it won't be available in midweek? Hahahahaha F***ing embarrassing!!

By the way I don't have a problem with the actual system, it's how it's being used and the useless cu*ts using it. Until tw*ts like Mike Riley are fu**ed off it will continue to be a bit of a joke in the league.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #511: Sep 22, 2019 12:42:39 pm
      By the way I don't have a problem with the actual system, it's how it's being used and the useless cu*ts using it. Until tw*ts like Mike Riley are fu**ed off it will continue to be a bit of a joke in the league

This. I remember saying last year that it’s all well and good bringing in something like VAR but ultimately it’s still the moronic officials making the decisions.

Paul Tierney last season made that absolute howler in the City game and a matter of weeks later he was the official for VAR. What hope is there?!

Trying to bring in a system to rectify the amount of wrong decisions officials make but put them officials in charge of it. It’s like putting someone who’s been nicked for grand theft auto in charge of a car garage.

There is so much emphasis on cutting out diving and reprimanding players who have tried to deceive the officials but nothing happen to officials who are constantly making the same mistakes over and over.

The fact there are different rules for different penalty boxes etc is a joke. Handball is handball, whether that’s a defending player or an attacking player. Likewise this “clear and obvious error” bollocks, an error is an error.

It’s not the technology that’s the problem, it’s the idiots using it...well attempting to use it.

Then you get blerts who do a weekly hypothetical quiz about what will or won’t be overturned once it’s in place and how the outcome of the game would have been but in actual fact, it’s still wrong and he hasn’t got a damn clue because it’s still got the biggest and worst problem with it all - human error.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #512: Sep 22, 2019 12:55:38 pm

Stop trying to move the goalposts to make your VAR obsession still seem ‘right’.

It's called rose tinted glasses   :lmao:
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #513: Sep 22, 2019 09:57:26 pm
      Just catching up with the game today.
      Strange how for Chelski’s disallowed goal Sky cut straight away to a picture of the ref rather than staying with the celebrations. Almost as though they knew it was going to be disallowed before VAR did
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #514: Sep 22, 2019 10:16:14 pm
      Yay, we F***ing finally got a decision in our favor!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #515: Sep 23, 2019 01:58:40 pm
      There is nothing wrong with VAR as a technology but the application is wrong, for example on reviewing the penalty the VAR officials must have the power to question the on field ref as they have a far better view of the incident with the on field ref then reviewing the footage if necessary and then making a final decision.
      The offside thing is fine, but why not flag immediately on an offside, why let play carry on?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #516: Sep 23, 2019 02:26:57 pm
      Villa get fu**ed by VAR again.

As usual, the English powers take something that could be a force for good, and completely F**k up the implentation and interpretation.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #517: Sep 24, 2019 01:37:03 pm
      Villa get fu**ed by VAR again.

As usual, the English powers take something that could be a force for good, and completely f**k up the implentation and interpretation.

Im gobsmcked they didn't get penalty  :f_doh: Bet even LFCATW can't defend that one  :roll: then again!  :lmao:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #518: Sep 24, 2019 02:28:55 pm
      Im gobsmcked they didn't get penalty  :f_doh: Bet even LFCATW can't defend that one  :roll: then again!  :lmao:

Got a mate who's a Villa fan, old school, knew Doug Ellis years ago, he's fuming.
      In his own words, it's one thing to be beaten by a better side, it's quite another to be fu**ed over by technology that's supposed to get rid of errors.
      Twice already this season VAR has fu**ed them.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #519: Sep 24, 2019 03:46:09 pm
      Bet even LFCATW can't defend that one   then again!

Well it wasn’t given so therefore VAR got it right.

Didn’t you know?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #520: Sep 24, 2019 04:12:18 pm
      Well it wasn’t given so therefore VAR got it right.

Didn’t you know?

:lmao: very good KK  :lmao:
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #521: Sep 24, 2019 08:37:43 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7

I think we know the story in knockout cup competitions. One mistake and it's curtains. If we put out something like a PL2 level side, their results this season have been poor. This is a step up from that for them, without the ref becoming the centre of attention as well.

This. I remember saying last year that it’s all well and good bringing in something like VAR but ultimately it’s still the moronic officials making the decisions.

Trying to bring in a system to rectify the amount of wrong decisions officials make but put them officials in charge of it. It’s like putting someone who’s been nicked for grand theft auto in charge of a car garage.

There is so much emphasis on cutting out diving and reprimanding players who have tried to deceive the officials but nothing happen to officials who are constantly making the same mistakes over and over.

The fact there are different rules for different penalty boxes etc is a joke. Handball is handball, whether that’s a defending player or an attacking player. Likewise this “clear and obvious error” bollocks, an error is an error.

It’s not the technology that’s the problem, it’s the idiots using it...well attempting to use it.

Then you get who do a weekly hypothetical quiz about what will or won’t be overturned once it’s in place and how the outcome of the game would have been but in actual fact, it’s still wrong and he hasn’t got a damn clue because it’s still got the biggest and worst problem with it all - human error.

4 injustices were corrected this weekend, the most in one weekend to date, and bringing the total to 11 so far. Taking the impact of the overturned decisions in our game and the City v Spurs game into account, that's an extra 4 point swing in our favour in this title race, converting what would be a fragile 1 point advantage without VAR into a comfortable 5 point lead with it. If most fans were asked before the season started, if they would prefer to wait a bit for a VAR check, so we could be 5 points clear by mid-September, instead of 1 point because of wrong decisions, I think most of us would rather be 5 points clear of the rest.

Handball has exactly the same rules for forwards and defenders. PGMOL say that only forwards will be penalised by VAR in the EPL. There is the difference.

Quote from RedWilly
      Hang on. All last season you were telling us that never again will a wrong decision cost teams points or games. But clearly it still happens because they do not utilize VAR and when they do it’s still an incompetent individual making the decision.

So your drumbeat and VAR quiz all of last season was ultimately wrong. How many of those overturned decisions from your VAR quiz would have actually been overruled in practice? Very little.

Because it's only been used for offsides and handballs by forwards which is great, but not what VAR is everywhere else. So technically the other "errors" this season, have not been errors because of the "high bar" in operation.

Based on Riley's figures, up to Week 4 of the league, the accuracy of correct decisions in the EPL was 98.2%, taking all checks into account, approx 7 per game.

Quote from heimdall
      There is nothing wrong with VAR as a technology, The offside thing is fine, but why not flag immediately on an offside, why let play carry on?

If they flag immediately, play is stopped and the incident can't be checked. If they wait to put it up, the offside call can be checked at the next stoppage in play. Many offside calls can only be judged accurately by VAR, not the human eye.

Alternatively, all goals should be flagged if the lino thinks there is any doubt. That puts any celebrations on hold instantly, while we can check if it really is offside or not. If it's not, the goal is given and celebrations can begin.

I was convinced on first viewing, that our third goal at Burnley would be ruled out for offside against Salah. The first thing I said was that it will have to be checked, so I waited to celebrate until the replay was shown and the goal was fine. It was not the first time nor will it be the last, but I prefer when we score a goal that is 100% valid than if it is 100% luck. 
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #522: Sep 24, 2019 08:47:40 pm
      Well that was a fckin yawn fest Jesus Fck ,
      Waiting to celebrate 🤔🤔
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #523: Sep 24, 2019 09:10:52 pm
      Handball has exactly the same rules for forwards and defenders. PGMOL say that only forwards will be penalised by VAR in the EPL.

It's not the same rule then is it!!! If it applies to one but not the other how can it be the same rule?! Just contradicting yourself.

I was convinced on first viewing, that our third goal at Burnley would be ruled out for offside against Salah. The first thing I said was that it will have to be checked, so I waited to celebrate until the replay was shown and the goal was fine. It was not the first time nor will it be the last, but I prefer when we score a goal that is 100% valid than if it is 100% luck.

The quote above and this has left me baffled. You've just done a whole post of more complete nonsense and you've said a lot of nonsense in this topic, especially with your VAR Quiz, but this?! This?!! F**k me, get yourself over to another club lad...waiting to celebrate a goal because you wanted to wait for your precious VAR.

I'm lost for words, just made yourself sound like a complete and utter weapon.

Second the ball hits the net I'm celebrating until it's deemed otherwise, not the other way around. Unbelievable, never heard anything like it.
      « Last Edit: Sep 24, 2019 09:38:36 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #524: Sep 24, 2019 10:40:18 pm
      It's not the same rule then is it!!! If it applies to one but not the other how can it be the same rule?! Just contradicting yourself.

No I'm not. The handball law is one rule that covers handballs by every player. VAR have been told not to apply it to defenders. Why that is I don't know, but it's the same rule, just applied differently.

You've waiting to celebrate a goal because you wanted to wait for your precious VAR.

Unbelievable, never heard anything like it.

Yes you have. How many posters have complained here since the start of the season, (and other outlets) that VAR affects/delays/ruins their celebrations? I've lost count.

I don't want to wait to celebrate either, but if you think a goal will be disallowed, it's not that unbelievable to hold back the celebrations until you know it's going to stand. When Firmino passed to Salah, I thought he was offside until the replay showed he was on. I can't see what your issue with that is. ???
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #525: Sep 24, 2019 10:46:13 pm
      VAR have been told not to apply it to defenders. Why that is I don't know, but it's the same rule, just applied differently.

"same rule, applied differently"...trying to pass it off as the same thing...

If it's applied differently then it's not the same!!! If they are being told to apply it one way to forwards and one way to defenders then that is being different, not the same!

Yes you have. How many posters have complained here since the start of the season, (and other outlets) that VAR affects/delays/ruins their celebrations? I've lost count.

And what would they have done before waiting to see if the goal has counted? Celebrated until it was taken to VAR.

I don't want to wait to celebrate either, but if you think a goal will be disallowed, it's not that unbelievable to hold back the celebrations until you know it's going to stand. When Firmino passed to Salah, I thought he was offside until the replay showed he was on. I can't see what your issue with that is.

No because people don't tend to think like you, they don't straight away think of VAR when we score. As soon as we hit the net I instantly think we've scored, I don't sit there waiting to see if it's allowed to count first. Celebrate first and deal with VAR if and when it's used.

Is your brain leaking or is your head really that far in the sand regarding VAR. The contradictions and nonsense you are coming out with is unbelievable.
      « Last Edit: Sep 24, 2019 10:53:35 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #526: Sep 29, 2019 12:46:07 am
      people don't tend to think like you, they don't straight away think of VAR when we score.

Yes they do think the same, because they have said so. It doesn't happen all the time, it doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen from time to time. If you're not certain the goal is going to stand, you can't celebrate properly. I've no major issue with that, I was well aware that was the tradeoff of having VAR in the league. It applies to this club as any other club in the league, but I have the patience to wait a bit to know the goal we have just scored will stand, if I have to.

If there was no VAR last weekend, that offside decision stands, that game v Chelsea finishes 2-2, we've lost 2 points, the 100% record is gone, and there's a 15 page post match inquiry, of how crap the team is and all the reasons why we'll never win the league. And that's before the public reaction, outside of here.

Thankfully we now have VAR protection, so the ghost goal was ruled out, we won the game, our 5 point lead was restored, and there's peace and quiet again. Until at least the next game.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #527: Sep 29, 2019 01:22:49 am
      Again not used when needed to be. Penalty all day long to Sadio.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #528: Sep 29, 2019 08:23:09 am
      Yes they do think the same, because they have said so. It doesn't happen all the time, it doesn't happen a lot, but it does happen from time to time. If you're not certain the goal is going to stand, you can't celebrate properly. I've no major issue with that, I was well aware that was the tradeoff of having VAR in the league. It applies to this club as any other club in the league, but I have the patience to wait a bit to know the goal we have just scored will stand, if I have to.

If there was no VAR last weekend, that offside decision stands, that game v Chelsea finishes 2-2, we've lost 2 points, the 100% record is gone, and there's a 15 page post match inquiry, of how crap the team is and all the reasons why we'll never win the league. And that's before the public reaction, outside of here.

Thankfully we now have VAR protection, so the ghost goal was ruled out, we won the game, our 5 point lead was restored, and there's peace and quiet again. Until at least the next game.

Thankfully we have VAR ?!

You must have tunnel vision to still be banging the drum of a system that has cost us

VAR is F***ing sh*te - take your head out of your arse

Quick Reply