Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 240079 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Re: VAR
      Reply #575: Oct 26, 2019 11:35:49 pm
      I couldn't tell from the replays if it was clearly touched by someone else on the way in, and so I wouldn't have changed the original decision. After the game, the FA credited it to another player. By then, VAR could not do anything about it.

Quote from Keith Singleton
      Well  :lmao:

I would have thought that maybe if you're 2 points off the drop zone, 15 points off the top, trying to get a man with no trophy record out of the job and install another man with no trophy record into it, you maybe have bigger concerns than laughing at what Liverpool fans post on the internet. Just maybe.

Quote from andylfcynwa
      anyone connected with that yesterday, and still thinks it’s not a clear and obvious foul needs removing from their post because their clearly not up to the job , any average fan in the street could have made that call yesterday , let alone a supposedly top official farcical to say the least .

We've all seen what happened in the goal against us. As the goal against us was neither a handball or offside call, I thought at the time that it would not be overturned, and it wasn't. However, I was expecting the LFCTV commentators to be spitting blood about it. For reasons best known to themselves though, they both thought the challenge on Origi was fair. It seems like only our fans thought it was a foul.

Of course, what hasn't been mentioned yet is the (unlikely) scenario, that Coote informed the ref of the foul, but the ref decided to overrule him and give the goal anyway. The ref on the pitch does have the authority to do that.

Level of experience doesn't have much to do with anything, whether he's reffed 15 games in the past or 500. A fully qualified professional referee should have the ability to operate a VAR competently and the authority to overrule a ref on the pitch, as they do all over the world every weekend.
      « Last Edit: Oct 27, 2019 09:02:43 am by lfc across the water »
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #576: Oct 27, 2019 02:05:10 am
      And here was me worrying that it would remove mistakes from the game, making it duller, less exciting and give us less talking points.

Called that one wrong.

Still don't like it,  human error should be part of the game, by player, referee or manager. Most referees were getting around 89-92% of calls right and that was with players pushing gamesmanship to its absolute limit.

Actually think that referees should be allowed to watch the game after and be allowed to issue and rescind cards, including yellows. They should then be allowed to issue a statement and answer preprepared questions from the press.

And can we please take timekeeping out of the ref's hands. Hearing that a couple of the games barely got 50 minutes of football played.
      « Last Edit: Oct 27, 2019 11:36:25 am by Roddenberry »
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,967 posts | 2708 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #577: Oct 27, 2019 08:42:55 am
      VAR awarded the goal as coming directly from a free kick. I couldn't tell from the replays if it was clearly touched by someone else on the way in, and so I wouldn't have changed the original decision. After the game, the FA credited it to another player. By then, VAR could not do anything about it.

I would have thought that maybe if you're 2 points off the drop zone, 15 points off the top, trying to get a man with no trophy record out of the job and install another man with no trophy record into it, you maybe have bigger concerns than laughing at what Liverpool fans post on the internet. Just maybe.

Your very rarely right about anything you post under VAR  :lmao: Your continually blinkered/paranoid / rose tinted glasses/ bizzare on this topic  :lmao: The only people who're laughing at you are hundreds of Liverpool supporters and one manc  ;D

However, you are right about one thing! I do have bigger concerns . You now going to tell me my thoughts on Ole wrong and he's the man for the job?  :lmao: Don't reply on this thread though as you fans will just continue to laugh at you.  :lmao:
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #578: Oct 27, 2019 04:29:11 pm
      Var at it again you just can’t make it up it’s fckin shockingly bad and not fit for purpose b
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #579: Oct 27, 2019 08:25:18 pm
      Shocking today with that United’s first penalty. How a professional referee with all the advantages of technology could make that decision is just beyond joke.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #580: Oct 27, 2019 11:18:40 pm
      I didnt like VAR last weekend when it didnt over turn Uniteds goal for a pretty clear foul on Origi. It was bad, but consistently bad and over turning very little which was at least consistent with this 'high bar' for over turning decisions at least setting a standard for what would and wouldn't be overturned.

I'm afraid it's hit a new low this weekend as obviously as a criticism of last weeks showing the referees have suddenly started over turning some real bollocks.

The Everton foul yesterday was funny as F**k but it was never a penalty to begin with, and certainly once the ref had not given it. That cannot be over turned with VAR when you consider the stonewall penalties that they have earlier ignored.

And then today the Arsenal winner to make it 3-2. How, when they didn't disallow Uniteds goal against us, can they over turn Sokratis' goal for a push that never was by Chambers on the Palace defender?

I'm afraid whereas they had a standard set at the beginning of the season (which was ridiculously high) that now it's open season for referees now to start re-refereeing the game to how they see it. The consistency from week to week is out of the window now.

A terrible week for VAR, the technology right now is being used so poorly by the officials, we are going from one extreme to the other week to week. From stonewall decisions ignored, to nothing incidents now causing goals to be over turned.

Very, very poor I'm afraid.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #581: Oct 27, 2019 11:25:17 pm
      Quote from Roddenberry
      And here was me worrying that it would remove mistakes from the game, making it duller, less exciting and give us less taking points.

Called that one wrong.

Still don't like it,  human error should be part of the game, by player, referee or manager. Most referees were getting around 89-92% of calls right and that was with players pushing gamesmanship to its absolute limit.

Actually think that referees should be allowed to watch the game after and be allowed to issue and rescind cards, including yellows.

I assume that means refs correcting errors, what you are apparently against.

Most refs in our league are running around the pitch one day for 90 minutes and doing VAR for 90 minutes the next on the same weekend. There isn't time for them to be rewatching games and rescinding cards. But amazingly, they do it without complaint. Ask players to do 2 games per weekend as they did 30-40 years ago, and there would be uproar. Look at the outrage expressed about the busy Christmas period every single year. I can remember a time when it was even more demanding than now.

If your boss got 89% of his decisions right, I think his bosses would demand an explanation about the consequences of his other decisions.
      If a surgeon told you that because of human error, 89% of his decisions were right, would you still put your wellbeing in his hands, or prefer the surgeon with 100% of his decisions right instead?
      If a pilot told you that because of human error, 89% of his decisions were perfectly safe, would you still trust him to fly 200 people over and back several times a day, or would you want the pilot with a 100% safety record, to do so?

People tell me that this is not life or death. But football means a lot to a lot of people. In our league, as in the highest level of any business, mistakes are not encouraged, tolerated, or celebrated. There is a lot depending on those in power to make the correct decision, not 89% or 92% of the time, but as close to 100% of the time as possible. With VAR, the accuracy rate is now well into the high 90's, even with the restrictions on it's usage, and where refs cannot use monitors pitchside to get even more decisions correct.

VAR never promised flawless refereeing. They said that more of the "game-changing" decisions would be correct. That is what has happened. There was 8 interventions this weekend, the first VAR dismissal, the first penalty given, the first penalty overturned among them. People said it would never happen. Well it is happening. There have been approx 30 VAR decisions in 100 games. It's not as much as I expected, but it is still 30 more correct decisions than last (or any previous) season.

It all means we have a 6 point lead in the table, that we didn't have before, without it.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #582: Oct 28, 2019 01:41:58 am
      I assume that means refs correcting errors, what you are apparently against.

Most refs in our league are running around the pitch one day for 90 minutes and doing VAR for 90 minutes the next on the same weekend. There isn't time for them to be rewatching games and rescinding cards. But amazingly, they do it without complaint. Ask players to do 2 games per weekend as they did 30-40 years ago, and there would be uproar. Look at the outrage expressed about the busy Christmas period every single year. I can remember a time when it was even more demanding than now.

If your boss got 89% of his decisions right, I think his bosses would demand an explanation about the consequences of his other decisions.
      If a surgeon told you that because of human error, 89% of his decisions were right, would you still put your wellbeing in his hands, or prefer the surgeon with 100% of his decisions right instead?
      If a pilot told you that because of human error, 89% of his decisions were perfectly safe, would you still trust him to fly 200 people over and back several times a day, or would you want the pilot with a 100% safety record, to do so?

People tell me that this is not life or death. But football means a lot to a lot of people. In our league, as in the highest level of any business, mistakes are not encouraged, tolerated, or celebrated. There is a lot depending on those in power to make the correct decision, not 89% or 92% of the time, but as close to 100% of the time as possible. With VAR, the accuracy rate is now well into the high 90's, even with the restrictions on it's usage, and where refs cannot use monitors pitchside to get even more decisions correct.

VAR never promised flawless refereeing. They said that more of the "game-changing" decisions would be correct. That is what has happened. There was 8 interventions this weekend, the first VAR dismissal, the first penalty given, the first penalty overturned among them. People said it would never happen. Well it is happening. There have been approx 30 VAR decisions in 100 games. It's not as much as I expected, but it is still 30 more correct decisions than last (or any previous) season.

It all means we have a 6 point lead in the table, that we didn't have before, without it.

Comparing Apples and Oranges to make a strawman argument.

I work for bosses who expect no mistakes. That's just not human. I tell them that's the aim, but it'll never happen, especially with the speed and amount of work they expect me to get through.

VAR is too slow, going over to a monitor like some want would allow ir even further. Is detracting from my enjoyment of the game.

Still say taking timekeeping ot the ref's hands would have had more effect on the game. Make play acting and late subs as well as the usual array of timewasting pointless.

And let's not pretend that some strange rule changes and how it's implemented are affecting VARs efficacy, bit like the politicians massaging the unemployment figures.

VAR is far from successful, I know it's here to stay. Doesn't mean I have to like it.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #583: Oct 28, 2019 06:24:40 pm
      I only look in here for the mental gymnastics.

Really funny.

VAR = a good idea ruined by crappy implementation so that refs can be protected from criticism.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,215 posts | 916 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #584: Oct 28, 2019 07:43:19 pm
      Absolute joke look at Sahar, James the diving cheat, var is a joke
      ruthcity
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,937 posts | 1479 
      Reply #585: Oct 29, 2019 11:52:33 am
      I work for bosses who expect no mistakes. That's just not human. I tell them that's the aim, but it'll never happen, especially with the speed and amount of work they expect me to get through.

Oh, same for some fans here. The whole world's celebrating a hard fought three points and some of them can moan about not keeping a clean sheet or mistakes made by players or coaching staff.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,164 posts | 8548 
      Reply #586: Oct 29, 2019 04:47:25 pm
      I only look in here for the mental gymnastics.

Really funny.

VAR = a good idea ruined by crappy implementation so that refs can be protected from criticism.

Or a good idea ruined by Mike Riley & Chums.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #587: Oct 30, 2019 10:58:19 pm
      Other countries are working it far better than England. The problem is the standard of refereeing. Not the technology.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #588: Nov 02, 2019 12:21:25 pm
      Quote from fields of anny rd
      I'm afraid it's hit a new low this weekend as obviously as a criticism of last weeks showing the referees have suddenly started over turning some real bollocks.

The Everton foul yesterday was funny as F**k but it was never a penalty to begin with, and certainly once the ref had not given it. That cannot be over turned with VAR when you consider the stonewall penalties that they have earlier ignored.

And then today the Arsenal winner to make it 3-2. How, when they didn't disallow Uniteds goal against us, can they over turn Sokratis' goal for a push that never was by Chambers on the Palace defender?

Very, very poor I'm afraid.

The Everton foul was a foul, as the defender stands on the attackers foot. I was declaring those incidents as fouls last year, and it's about time something was done about them on the spot. There was no Arsenal winner, nor was there a push. The defender was tripped, therefore a free kick should be given, and was. A VAR is there to spot this stuff and do what needs to be done.

Quote from Roddenberry
      VAR is too slow, going over to a monitor like some want would allow ir even further. Is detracting from my enjoyment of the game.

VAR is far from successful, I know it's here to stay. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Maybe not, but it does mean you have to live with it. The era of "only one look" for referees is disappearing fast. There's too much at stake, for the 120 mistakes every season which was the case before now, to be allowed to continue.

It appears that lessons are been learned  though, and VAR's are more willing to step in and do the job refs on the pitch can't. One who used to take a lot of stick here, Paul Tierney, was the first VAR to overturn a penalty decision, for an obvious dive. Because it was an English player caught out, the media defended his actions. Another English player received the first red card from a VAR for a serious missed incident, and some pundits said it was only worth a yellow. A VAR doesn't give yellow cards. It's either a red or nothing.

As regards slowing the game down, the average time lost over watching monitors to make decisions is 30-35 seconds, roughly the same amount of time it takes to put a sub on the pitch, and nobody objects to that. We already lose 20 minutes live play per game as it is, another 30 seconds to review a major decision and get it right, isn't really going to hurt anyone.

What could have hurt us was no VAR in the League Cup. First game at home this season without it, and a goal should have been ruled out for offside inside 20 minutes. But with no VAR, we got done. It made our difficult job that bit harder at the time, and the next time, it may be the difference between the next round or try again next year.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #589: Nov 02, 2019 12:28:16 pm
      The Everton foul was a foul, as the defender stands on the attackers foot. I was declaring those incidents as fouls last year, and it's about time something was done about them on the spot. There was no Arsenal winner, nor was there a push. The defender was tripped, therefore a free kick should be given, and was. A VAR is there to spot this stuff and do what needs to be done.

Maybe not, but it does mean you have to live with it. The era of "only one look" for referees is disappearing fast. There's too much at stake, for the 120 mistakes every season which was the case before now, to be allowed to continue.

It appears that lessons are been learned  though, and VAR's are more willing to step in and do the job refs on the pitch can't. One who used to take a lot of stick here, Paul Tierney, was the first VAR to overturn a penalty decision, for an obvious dive. Because it was an English player caught out, the media defended his actions. Another English player received the first red card from a VAR for a serious missed incident, and some pundits said it was only worth a yellow. A VAR doesn't give yellow cards. It's either a red or nothing.

As regards slowing the game down, the average time lost over watching monitors to make decisions is 30-35 seconds, roughly the same amount of time it takes to put a sub on the pitch, and nobody objects to that. We already lose 20 minutes live play per game as it is, another 30 seconds to review a major decision and get it right, isn't really going to hurt anyone.

What could have hurt us was no VAR in the League Cup. First game at home this season without it, and a goal should have been ruled out for offside inside 20 minutes. But with no VAR, we got done. It made our difficult job that bit harder at the time, and the next time, it may be the difference between the next round or try again next year.

Still beating a tired drum , it’s been a fckin shambles
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #590: Nov 02, 2019 05:09:51 pm
      I can't wait to hear the excuse for that one...
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,923 posts | 3400 
      Reply #591: Nov 02, 2019 06:35:36 pm
      VaR is ruining the sport

Anyone that attempts to justify it hasnt got a F***ing clue about the sport and has never been to a game in their life - should stick to wanking over football manager
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #592: Nov 02, 2019 07:22:02 pm
      I can't wait to hear the excuse for that one...

I, too, am awaiting the twisting of logic to justify the unjustifiable.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #593: Nov 02, 2019 09:59:20 pm
      A real load of bollocks.

That line they drew up today had no relation to where Firminos shoulder actually was in relation to Mings' leg.

Would be the equivalent of Hawkeye in cricket showing a Shane Warne googly as a bloody leg break.

Atkinson today messed about until he got to the first point of offside.

Against United I gave him the benefit of the doubt and put the -2 point swing we suffered due to him down as ineptitude. I'm not sure it is actually that as just being a bent b***ard after that sh*t show.

The F**k was going on, genuinely?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #594: Nov 02, 2019 10:00:54 pm
      Yep just scrap it until you can have responsible people reviewing the replays.

It’s a joke at this point.

If you want to use instant replay, it has to add value in some way and so far it’s added none.

fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #595: Nov 02, 2019 10:09:24 pm
      Yep just scrap it until you can have responsible people reviewing the replays.

It’s a joke at this point.

If you want to use instant replay, it has to add value in some way and so far it’s added none.

Problem with it is the VAR can manipulate it to paint a picture they want to paint. Perhaps it's not to F**k us up but  conceivably to back his fellow colleague.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #596: Nov 02, 2019 10:18:17 pm
      Wait for it it’s surely coming 🤔
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #597: Nov 02, 2019 11:26:21 pm
      World Cup showed that VAR could work well and efficiently. Unfortunately in the hands of these English refs it's a sham.

Unfortunately like most things in England, the bodies that govern these matters is headed up by these white male middle age f**king gimps like Neale Barry and Mike Riley.

That's why that Ostrich face Atkinson continues to get premier matches and for some reason the controls to a whole f**king broadcast centre. As I said before - giving English refs VAR to control is like giving an arsonist a flame thrower.

Quick Reply