Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233270 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: VAR
      Reply #46: Mar 01, 2018 05:10:01 pm
      Those saying the disallowed goal should have stood are wrong. The defender was held back by Lamela's arm and then Lamela kicked it in the net a few seconds later. BBC and Pundits full of it.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #47: Mar 02, 2018 09:32:43 am

Nothing knew then.  ;D
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #48: Mar 03, 2018 06:14:38 am
      Well you're going to have to care, because this is the future of officiating, so I suggest you better get used to it.

Are you capable of having a discussion without coming across as a complete w**ker?

Making sound as if it’s a life or death decision. Some people are attracted to football because of the pace of the game. Other people have opinions just as valid as your own. Get used to it.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #49: Mar 03, 2018 08:25:25 pm
      I am used to it. I've no problems with other opinions. It's when people say they're happy when mistakes are made that I can't agree with. Mistakes are not good enough in this, or any other sport. If a player makes mistakes, he gets dropped. If a ref makes mistakes, nothing can be done. Until now.

Since my last post, La Liga has announced it's coming in next season. Quite a jump from a league that doesn't even have goalline technology atm.

More importantly, the IFAB have now cleared the way for it to be used at the WC. So the winner will win it by fair play at all times.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #50: Mar 17, 2018 12:51:25 pm
      Swansea v Spurs.

Yet another incident where it wasn't clear cut decision based on how the ruling of VAR are given. Correct call but still not happy that they can't implement a proper set of rules.. Definitely takes the buzz out of scoring though knowing you have to wait for confirmation.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #51: Mar 17, 2018 05:15:39 pm
      And how is the "buzz" different, to scoring a goal, then seeing the ref give a free out or a lino's flag? Same thing: No goal.

If it's the correct call, then job done. In the league fixture they played, Spurs scored a goal that should have been ruled out for offside, but there was no VAR so nothing could be done. Today there was and the right decision was reached. You can't con a camera and that's that.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #52: Mar 17, 2018 07:50:40 pm
      And how is the "buzz" different, to scoring a goal, then seeing the ref give a free out or a lino's flag? Same thing: No goal.

If it's the correct call, then job done. In the league fixture they played, Spurs scored a goal that should have been ruled out for offside, but there was no VAR so nothing could be done. Today there was and the right decision was reached. You can't con a camera and that's that.
      Agreed, some cry babies butthurt because the game was paused.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #53: Mar 17, 2018 08:42:10 pm

I agree with VAR but it would be good if they could figure out a way to get a quicker decision and communicate.

Get VAR working in a manner where it keeps the pace of the game and everyone’s a winner. I’m sure they will though, it’s early days for it yet.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #54: Mar 17, 2018 08:52:59 pm
      It can be done quicker, but it isn't atm. Replays can be shown within 10-15 seconds of a goal. But the host broadcaster won't show them until they're finished showing all the usual celebrations first. Which takes anything up to a minute.

Apparantly the wonky lines were used again by the same broadcaster covering this game, as happened last time. I believe it's all a conspiracy in order to keep human error to referee matches. There's no way a qualified ref with VAR, is using anything except one straight line at the last defender, to determine whether a goal is offside or not.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #55: Mar 17, 2018 08:56:47 pm
      It's often said that we should look to Rugby and tries scored when it comes to video refereeing.

That's a poor reference considering how stop start and tedious rugby is as a game. Last week I saw a scrum in the France v England match take 5 minutes to carry out. It was pathetic and it made me realise that video refereeing probably speeds up that sport more than anything!

Anyhow, rugby was created by some public school n*b picking up a football and ruining the game. It's the last sport that football should be looking towards!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #56: Mar 17, 2018 10:08:59 pm
      I still don't thing it's a necessity, lots of things that should have happened first. Timekeeping should be out of a referees hands and refs should be allowed to review their own performance and rescind or dish out cards. after rewatching the game. Mistakes are some of the best bits in games, whether by refs, players or managers, VAR has proven to be subjective at points, but we're taking away a part of the game I love.
      « Last Edit: Mar 17, 2018 10:19:15 pm by Roddenberry »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #57: Mar 17, 2018 10:17:38 pm
      I still don't thing it's a necessity, lots of things that should have happened first. Timekeeping should be out of a referees hands and refs should be allowed to review their own performance and rescind or dish out cards. after rewatching the game. Mistakes are some of the best bits in games, wether by refs, players or managers, VAR has proven to be subjective at points, but we're taking away a part of the game I love.

I don't agree with the notion that mistakes are some of the best bits of the game but I now agree that this isn't suited for football despite me thinking the opposite beforehand. If you're playing by a draconian rule book like in rugby then that's fine but this is football and I think people forget just how flexible and interpretive a game it is in comparison to almost any other sport out there.

Also does it threaten to standardise refereeing across the continent? Part of the intrigue surrounding football is that a fair piece of play in Britain may be seen as foul play in the southern continent or vice versa. My worry is that one particular VAR decision in a high profile match in front of hundreds of millions threatens to judge all situations as similar in games after that.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #58: Mar 17, 2018 10:24:21 pm
      I don't agree with the notion that mistakes are some of the best bits of the game but I now agree that this isn't suited for football despite me thinking the opposite beforehand. If you're playing by a draconian rule book like in rugby then that's fine but this is football and I think people forget just how flexible and interpretive a game it is. Does it threaten to standardise refereeing across the continent? Part of the intrigue surrounding football is that a fair piece of play in Britain may be seen as a foul play in the southern continent or vice versa. My worry is that one particular VAR decision in a high profile match in front of hundreds of millions threatens to judge all situations as similar in games after that.

It's, more precisely, the moaning fams I love. One high profile ref error, the defeat is all his fault, despite hitting the post 10 times and one of your players getting himself sent off. Whilst we on this point though, I've always wanted to say refs haven't ruined games by sending players off early, the player sent off did that. I always meant to say something as I detest that bit of lazy, stupid fan logic.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #59: Mar 17, 2018 11:21:58 pm
      Players, managers, and fans complain about the inconsistency of refereeing decisions. If the rules are draconian, then the rules should be changed, not VAR.

All VAR is, is a replay of an incident and shows the ref operating it, what to do if there is an issue with it. It's then up to him to advise the ref on the pitch, to implement the rules as they stand at the time, to the incident. And in doing so, provide the consistency that many have been screaming for, for decades.

It doesn't do emotions, it has no regard for big clubs or small clubs, big crowds or six men and a dog attendances, it just presents the facts. Communication and speed of decisions can be improved, but it's still doing the job it's supposed to do.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #60: Mar 18, 2018 06:48:56 pm
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      It's often said that we should look to Rugby and tries scored when it comes to video refereeing.

It's the last sport that football should be looking towards!

One thing it can look towards, (and this is from a very biased perspective) but a bonus point could be awarded for teams that score 4 goals in a game. It would mean less bus parking, and reward more sides that want to go out and score goals.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #61: Mar 18, 2018 07:08:01 pm
      One thing it can look towards, (and this is from a very biased perspective) but a bonus point could be awarded for teams that score 4 goals in a game. It would mean less bus parking, and reward more sides that want to go out and score goals.

No thanks, defending is a part of the game.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #62: Mar 21, 2018 02:52:48 am
      Watching Leicester v Chelsea on the cup, with Pawson in place and VAR in situ.

The game passed with little incident. All goals scored were valid. One penalty appeal for handball was rejected. There were no cases of diving, and considerably less protesting of the officials calls than usual.

All well and good. One issue remained however. Whenever VAR was consulted by the ref, the host broadcaster did not show replays of the incident in question. The ref paused the game for a few seconds, then allowed play to continue. That isn't really what is supposed to happen.
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #63: Mar 22, 2018 07:16:15 pm
      Watching Leicester v Chelsea on the cup, with Pawson in place and VAR in situ.

The game passed with little incident. All goals scored were valid. One penalty appeal for handball was rejected. There were no cases of diving, and considerably less protesting of the officials calls than usual.

All well and good. One issue remained however. Whenever VAR was consulted by the ref, the host broadcaster did not show replays of the incident in question. The ref paused the game for a few seconds, then allowed play to continue. That isn't really what is supposed to happen.

You seem pretty clued up on VAR, what is actually meant to happen with VAR?

I’ve absolutely no idea besides the obvious of it being a video review system.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #64: Mar 25, 2018 10:49:39 pm
      When VAR is used, at least one replay should be provided by the host broadcaster to clarify if an original decision needs to be overturned. And they should be using the graphics that the VAR is using, not wobbly lines or even no replays.

One thing I think is unnecessary, is the on field ref going to the halfway line to watch an incident, such as our penalty in the cup. He is allowed to do that, but if after several replays a VAR tells him what to do, he doesn't need to go and see it for himself. The decision to be given is obvious.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #65: Mar 27, 2018 09:49:18 pm
      Foul by Tarcowski. Penalty given rightly. ITV commentary 'it wasn't a deliberate foul' 'it's wasting time'. Something tells me it wouldn't be the same conversation if it was the other way around.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #66: Mar 27, 2018 10:58:28 pm
      Thought it was a debatable call at best myself but regardless of that it’s another example of VAR going beyond its remit of addressing ‘clear and obvious errors’.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #67: Mar 27, 2018 11:24:11 pm
      Italians were looking for that penalty today though, really exploited VAR by first drawing contact and going down. He put his foot under the English players boot on purpose, stupid to do in a friendly. There will be instances of each team getting 3 or 4 penalties each in some games if penalties of given like that, welcome to Hollywood Football.  :-[
      « Last Edit: Mar 27, 2018 11:47:49 pm by Ribapuru »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #68: Mar 28, 2018 07:19:31 am
      Italians were looking for that penalty today though, really exploited VAR by first drawing contact and going down. He put his foot under the English players boot on purpose, stupid to do in a friendly. There will be instances of each team getting 3 or 4 penalties each in some games if penalties of given like that, welcome to Hollywood Football.  :-[

'He put his foot under on purpose'

Typical English excuse.

Quick Reply