Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233686 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Re: VAR
      Reply #69: Mar 28, 2018 09:41:02 am
      'He put his foot under on purpose'

Typical English excuse.
      the Italians foot moved in the obvious line the England defender was running in. The England defender didn't notice and continued the same direction. Had that been a penalty against Liverpool you'd be fuming. Both teams were testing VAR, and it would not surprise me if the Italian in question had extra reinforced boots to protect his foot knowing there was a chance he'd do that. Looked rehearsed.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #70: Mar 28, 2018 10:10:58 am
      the Italians foot moved in the obvious line the England defender was running in. The England defender didn't notice and continued the same direction. Had that been a penalty against Liverpool you'd be fuming. Both teams were testing VAR, and it would not surprise me if the Italian in question had extra reinforced boots to protect his foot knowing there was a chance he'd do that. Looked rehearsed.

Extra reinforced boots  :lmao:
      I know the Aussies have been up to it recently but we don't need to accuse everyone of cheating.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #71: Mar 28, 2018 12:23:58 pm
      Been very surprised with all the pundits questioning the penalty last night.  Burnley lad stood on the Italian's foot - it's a penalty.  VAR worked.

The way some of the pundits have gone on about VAR has been laughable in my view - it's on the whole done very well and corrected a lot of wrong decisions.

I can only assume that they are worried that VAR may cut the need for their minutes of drivel about 'bad referee decisions' so they are staging one last hurrah.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #72: Mar 28, 2018 12:52:58 pm

:lmao:

Aye pretty sure he had Cat boots on now I think of it
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,966 posts | 3944 
      Reply #73: Mar 28, 2018 01:03:58 pm
      Been very surprised with all the pundits questioning the penalty last night.  Burnley lad stood on the Italian's foot - it's a penalty.  VAR worked.

The way some of the pundits have gone on about VAR has been laughable in my view - it's on the whole done very well and corrected a lot of wrong decisions.

I can only assume that they are worried that VAR may cut the need for their minutes of drivel about 'bad referee decisions' so they are staging one last hurrah.

Very likely the drivel merchants see VAR as the thin end of the wedge and the talking heads are paranoid about people realising they don't need a translator for the images their eyes relay to their brain.

VAR would go a long way in eradicating the jaundiced views of those with an agenda, we all know who they are in the TV studios and on the pages of certain red tops!
      It is to be expected that these parties would not be on the side of technically assisted decision making and would actively discourage all talk of it's introduction.

Of course there would be winners and losers, or to be more precise definitive winners and losers with the technology, I believe LFC would benefit from VAR.

Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #74: Mar 28, 2018 07:41:57 pm
      I believe LFC would benefit from VAR.
      I thought that too until yesterday. It is still a human call even if VAR, it is not as black and white as it should be... until they remove the grey, it is going to be centre of some mass debating.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #75: Mar 28, 2018 07:45:10 pm
      Same pundits were against the vanishing spray, as it ruined the pitch and stopped players making their own "10 yard" wall. Nobody bats an eyelid at it now.

Same pundits were against goalline  technology, as it would be "unreliable". Nobody bats an eyelid at it now.

Most of them are against VAR, as it stops players getting away with the dark arts, they always advocated as "streetwise".

We will get decisions against us, but only when it's the correct decision. The vast majority of decisions will stand as is. The gap between free kicks is an average of 8 minutes per game, all 6 substitutions per game take a minimum of 3 minutes to make. So we can take a bit of time as needed, to get the right decision from a VAR.

It doesn't matter how easily a player goes down. All that matters is if it's a foul or not. If it is, it's a penalty. Which it is, in the latest case. If it takes 3 or 4 penalties awarded, for the message that a defender cannot foul a forward in the box to be understood, then so be it.

"Clear and obvious" errors was, and is, just a formula of words, to justify everything be checked, so that no player/team gains an advantage that they shouldn't. The dark arts are on the way out.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #76: Mar 28, 2018 08:02:21 pm
      it would not surprise me if the Italian in question had extra reinforced boots to protect his foot knowing there was a chance he'd do that. Looked rehearsed.

Just spat out my pint :lmao:
      Kopite78
      Reply #77: Mar 28, 2018 08:07:05 pm
      Had that been a penalty against Liverpool you'd be fuming.

But as it wasn't I couldn't  give a shiny sh*te

And it's Engerland too... brilliant
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #78: Mar 28, 2018 08:30:27 pm
      haha. i just spent the last 20 minutes looking at the replay over and over, I think it is a stone wall penalty now, when I first saw it, it looked like he was dangling his leg, but he was just dribbling the ball and English defender was clumsy. I got to applaud the referee, he made the correct decision fast.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #79: Mar 29, 2018 10:13:47 am
      haha. i just spent the last 20 minutes looking at the replay over and over, I think it is a stone wall penalty now, when I first saw it, it looked like he was dangling his leg, but he was just dribbling the ball and English defender was clumsy. I got to applaud the referee, he made the correct decision fast.

Haha fair play to your dedication!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,966 posts | 3944 
      Reply #80: Mar 29, 2018 02:39:32 pm
      I thought that too until yesterday. It is still a human call even if VAR, it is not as black and white as it should be... until they remove the grey, it is going to be centre of some mass debating.

What about going to Old Shithouse down the Lancs where we are F***ing robbed on a consistent basis, it's penalties galore there with thousands of deluded screaming Mancs and handpicked referees,
      Technology fucks them all off.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #81: Mar 29, 2018 03:52:48 pm
      Tarkowski didn’t only stand on his foot, which puts a halt to the excuse of “the Italian player already going down”...he was already going down because Tarkowski had been pulling him back whilst trying to catch up.

Clear penalty and on this occasion VAR was right. I don’t agree with VAR because how long it takes and can take the momentum out of a game but I also don’t agree with people saying you can’t give penalties on calls like that because there would be 3/4 of them a game. But if it’s a foul anywhere else on the pitch, it’s irrelevant if it’s in the box or not, don’t put yourself in that position in the first place.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #82: Mar 30, 2018 07:49:09 am
      Quote from Ribapuru
      haha, I think it is a stone wall penalty now. I got to applaud the referee, he made the correct decision fast.

So if it was given against us, would you still be "fuming" about it?

Having seen the incident live this week, I think the ref handled it very well, and it didn't take up much time. First, he told Italy to delay taking a corner. Second, he gave the VAR signal so everyone knew it was been used, then watched the one replay provided by the host broadcaster at the time, and corrected the decision. I guess it helps when he's already been using it in his own league all season. Something English refs haven't been able to access, and won't be able to in the upcoming WC either.

He had to watch the replay about 7 times at various speeds, to make a decision. A second replay of the incident from a better angle was provided only after the original decision was corrected. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I am concerned that host broadcasters are concealing evidence from officials, using wonky lines and lack of replays, to make VAR look shambolic and suit certain agendas.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #83: Apr 03, 2018 08:58:57 am
      Quote from Ribapuru

You're never going to remove "the grey". You even see rugby and cricket tmo's argue over decisions on a video. But as with those sports, if there are grey areas, you can make a legitimate case for why a VAR decision is made, even if you think it's debateable.

What we have atm, is referees making educated guesses about an incident. Which results in stonewall penalties not awarded, offside goals given, onside goals ruled out, pushing at corners not penalised, red cards awarded for no contact, etc etc. First thing you see at a game, especially international games, are "FIFA FAIR PLAY" banners and procedures. So it's about time fair play was enforced and cheats weeded out.

With VAR, fair play will be enforced, and the only things you will get away with, is keepers moving off the goalline for penalties, and corner kicks taken from outside the circle. That's about it.

Liverpool will not benefit any more or less from it than anyone else. We will get the decisions we should get, and not get the decisions we shouldn't get. That's the way it's supposed to be.
      SM
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,583 posts | 400 
      Reply #84: Apr 03, 2018 03:17:52 pm
      Don't like it and don't think it has a place in football.

Very soon it will be used for all sorts of decisions and the game will be more stop and start.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #85: Apr 12, 2018 08:40:27 am
      Used to the comforts of it in their own league, Juventus are now calling for VAR after their European quarter final, after conceding a late penalty in Madrid.

VAR should be in the European Cup, I'll agree with them on that. However, it's a clear penalty and a VAR would have not changed the refs decision. Despite his years of experience, Buffon lost his head and gave the ref some of it, on and off the pitch. The red card he got for it was inevitable.

If Juventus want to know why they're out of Europe, they can ask themselves why they didn't turn up in the first leg, and why they let Real off the hook in the second leg when they got level on aggregate. The VAR can't really do much about that.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #86: Apr 13, 2018 03:23:24 pm
      Just heard VAR not being used in the Premier League next year. Much as I'm for it I'm glad they have put it on hold for the time being. More work and transparency needs to go into it so we all know where we stand and not confused with the interpretation of some rulings.

I know that won't suit you lfc across the water but it's for the best at this stage.
      Kopite78
      Reply #87: Apr 13, 2018 04:46:59 pm
      Yeah premier league clubs voted against the use

Great decision  👌
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #88: Apr 13, 2018 05:06:01 pm
      I think it could be done without much downside, but I can see why folks want to keep things how they are.

Works for me, just hope we don't have any "man I wish we had VAR" moments down the road.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #89: Apr 13, 2018 05:13:07 pm

Works for me, just hope we don't have any "man I wish we had VAR" moments down the road.

You'll be getting plenty of those as we've yet to see/find the perfect referee.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #90: Apr 13, 2018 05:29:58 pm
      Not being used in the prem next season. Probably on reflection the right call.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #91: Apr 13, 2018 07:17:18 pm
      You'll be getting plenty of those as we've yet to see/find the perfect referee.

I don't want the perfect referee, I love mistakes in the game, be it from the players, the managers or the refs. Just wish more fans felt the same. The biggest change we could, and should, make, at present, is to take the timekeeping out of the refs hands.

Quick Reply