Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233336 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: VAR
      Reply #115: Jun 16, 2018 01:51:45 pm
      The trailing foot catches the forward on the heel. That is all that's needed to justify the decision. It would be a free kick anywhere else on the pitch.

Behave, might as well just rename the sport Basketball and have no contact between players whatsoever!!
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,635 posts | 866 
      Reply #116: Jun 16, 2018 02:00:36 pm
      Think the defenders slide challenge just missed the ball, trailing leg caught the back of Griezmann, as I said it just felt a harsh pen to give.

There is an angle which confirms the touch on the ball.. though slight.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #117: Jun 16, 2018 02:05:59 pm
      There is an angle which confirms the touch on the ball.. though slight.

Just seen that on the ITV replay before the Argentina game, as I said I just felt it was a harsh decision to give.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #118: Jun 16, 2018 02:21:08 pm
      Quote from Keith Singleton
      I love your passion on VAR.  ;D You simply won't knock it under any circumstances  :lmao:

It's difficult to knock the correct decision tbh. There's one ref on the pitch, there's 4 others on VAR in the WC. If they all say a decision is x, then I'm going to accept it.

The ref was looking for contact when he saw the replay. Once he saw it, the decision was made. We've seen similar challenges penalised in earlier, and indeed subsequent games. But because they've been free kicks outside the box, they haven't got any attention.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #119: Jun 16, 2018 03:03:20 pm
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #120: Jun 16, 2018 03:13:59 pm
      It's difficult to knock the correct decision tbh. There's one ref on the pitch, there's 4 others on VAR in the WC. If they all say a decision is x, then I'm going to accept it.

The ref was looking for contact when he saw the replay. Once he saw it, the decision was made. We've seen similar challenges penalised in earlier, and indeed subsequent games. But because they've been free kicks outside the box, they haven't got any attention.

I'm all for it as you know. However, VAR like refs are giving away soft fouls, penalties & offsides. Still wants tweaking for me.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #121: Jun 17, 2018 08:19:17 pm
      Once again we see why VAR needs tweaking. Stone wall foul before Switzerland score a goal. Blatant shove in the back and not reviewed.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #122: Jun 17, 2018 10:55:23 pm
      What is left to tweak?

It's considerably better than it was, in terms of speed and communication. It has reviewed two game changing incidents at the WC so far, and as usual, got both correct. While the timing between the review called and the decision given has been speeded up, it's also very clear to the crowd that a review is taking place, and they can see why the decision was changed.

I have yet to see any ref stick with his original decision after reviewing it himself at the WC or elsewhere. It seems automatic that it will be changed.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #123: Jun 17, 2018 11:01:40 pm

Already explained why in the post.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #124: Jun 18, 2018 12:13:16 am
      What is left to tweak?

It's considerably better than it was, in terms of speed and communication. It has reviewed two game changing incidents at the WC so far, and as usual, got both correct. While the timing between the review called and the decision given has been speeded up, it's also very clear to the crowd that a review is taking place, and they can see why the decision was changed.

I have yet to see any ref stick with his original decision after reviewing it himself at the WC or elsewhere. It seems automatic that it will be changed.

Spot on.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #125: Jun 18, 2018 08:47:09 am
      VAR is only there to overturn clear and obvious errors and so I don’t think it got the Switzerland goal wrong. Yes there was a slight push but not sure it was enough to put the defender off to the extent it appeared to.

It got the Griezmann one wrong though, once again there might have been some slight contact but don’t think it was enough to bring him down. Wasn’t a clear and obvious referee error so shouldn’t have been referred.

VAR will work fine as soon as we stop analysing every single piece of contact down to the bare bones. It’s a contact sport so not everything will be a penalty - if it’s not an obvious error then just stick with the on field call and keep play going.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #126: Jun 18, 2018 09:06:15 am
      I think it’s being used pretty well so far at the WC
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #127: Jun 18, 2018 10:48:46 am
      VAR is only there to overturn clear and obvious errors and so I don’t think it got the Switzerland goal wrong. Yes there was a slight push but not sure it was enough to put the defender off to the extent it appeared to.

It was a clear and obvious push in the back.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,962 posts | 3944 
      Reply #128: Jun 18, 2018 11:32:17 am

Behave Keith!
      I think you've gotten used to seeing defenders going down like they've been shot when only the slightest contact is made.
      They are athletes playing a highly physical game and a girly push in the back should not cause such an over-played reaction, definitely acting the pr**k looking for a pen, the VAR showed as much.
      The technology wasn't needed to show contact that much was obvious, what was needed was evidence of the force in that contact and exaggerated reaction was proven.
      Kopite78
      Reply #129: Jun 18, 2018 11:33:08 am

Maybe

I think that it's subjective personally.

Live as it happened my first thought was that's slack defending from Brazil as he was unmarked in the middle of the six yard box

Live no players complained immediately, not even the defender straight away.
      It's then shown on the tv screen in the stadium and the players start complaining to the ref

Every play is being watched by refs on tv and they didn't see much to ask the ref to look again

Things look more obvious and defined in high definition slow motion and I think that makes the push more than it was first time of viewing

I could see why it would be overturned on replay but glad it wasn't having witnessed at first view live

shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 561 posts | 128 
      Reply #130: Jun 18, 2018 12:16:51 pm

What happened to play to the whistle?
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #131: Jun 18, 2018 01:13:55 pm
      Behave Keith!
      I think you've gotten used to seeing defenders going down like they've been shot when only the slightest contact is made.
      They are athletes playing a highly physical game and a girly push in the back should not cause such an over-played reaction, definitely acting the pr**k looking for a pen, the VAR showed as much.
      The technology wasn't needed to show contact that much was obvious, what was needed was evidence of the force in that contact and exaggerated reaction was proven.
      My argument is if VAR was used they wouldn't of given a penalty. Lfc across the water would then be saying!! You can clearly see a shove in the back ( no matter how minor ) NO PENALTY

Remember the one last year when they said a players knee was offside so VAR was right  ;)
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #132: Jun 18, 2018 01:19:42 pm

Live no players complained immediately, not even the defender straight away.

Doesn't matter mate. It's obvious the players didn't see it either. That doesn't mean it never happened. One of the reasons VAR brought it was for clear and obvious misses by refs.
      Kopite78
      Reply #133: Jun 18, 2018 01:29:09 pm
      Doesn't matter mate. It's obvious the players didn't see it either. That doesn't mean it never happened. One of the reasons VAR brought it was for clear and obvious misses by refs.

Point being Keith is the defender who was "fouled" didn't complain immediately either

Players are using it after even if their gut feeling is no foul

It looked worse on screen so they tried it on
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #134: Jun 18, 2018 01:47:58 pm
      Point being Keith is the defender who was "fouled" didn't complain immediately either

Players are using it after even if their gut feeling is no foul

It looked worse on screen so they tried it on

I would try it on for a Premiership match ( sorry League  ;D ) let alone a World Cup.  ;D
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #135: Jun 18, 2018 01:49:42 pm
      I like the paddy power VAR advert, would come in handy for many things
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #136: Jun 18, 2018 02:27:01 pm
      Turned from doubter to believer
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #137: Jun 18, 2018 02:59:15 pm
      We have VAR to cut out pushing in the box. It doesn't matter what the level of contact is, you can't push people off the ball, it's not rugby.

My belief is, if it's a foul outside the box, it's a foul inside the box. The same rules apply.

Another decision needed today, which decided the game. But it's much faster than the "5-7 minutes, ruining the game" complaints we were listening to just a few weeks ago.

Quick Reply