Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233427 times
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Re: VAR
      Reply #322: Feb 02, 2019 12:55:01 pm
      I’m a bit confused - this surely is just “opinion” yes ? Not factual

The Maguire incident - plenty refs said even after seeing it again the yellow was right so why have you said red card ?
      Kopite78
      Reply #323: Feb 02, 2019 12:58:49 pm
      I’m a bit confused - this surely is just “opinion” yes ? Not factual

The Maguire incident - plenty refs said even after seeing it again the yellow was right so why have you said red card ?

Absolutely

These are all his opinion

The rules changed now on last man anyway to clear goalscoring opportunity
      I doubt any refs would say that far from goal is a clear goalscoring opportunity
      It was a foul and under those new rules a yellow

The one the other week in the palace game where it was handball by Townsend. The ref actually gave the foul against Mane for pushing his arm onto the ball so again that wouldn't be turned over

All these are his opinion 

Var probably does need to come in but not used how is being suggested here. Should only be used in clear and obvious mistakes
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #324: Feb 02, 2019 01:55:39 pm
      Absolutely

These are all his opinion

The rules changed now on last man anyway to clear goalscoring opportunity
      I doubt any refs would say that far from goal is a clear goalscoring opportunity
      It was a foul and under those new rules a yellow

The one the other week in the palace game where it was handball by Townsend. The ref actually gave the foul against Mane for pushing his arm onto the ball so again that wouldn't be turned over

All these are his opinion 

Var probably does need to come in but not used how is being suggested here. Should only be used in clear and obvious mistakes

Like the penalty on Keita.
      Kopite78
      Reply #325: Feb 02, 2019 02:04:02 pm

Yeah 100%

Wonder how they are judged though?

I mean would the ref ask them to look or would he be told hes made the wrong decision?

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #326: Feb 02, 2019 02:08:39 pm
      Yeah 100%

Wonder how they are judged though?

I mean would the ref ask them to look or would he be told hes made the wrong decision?

My understanding is that the VAR people are constantly reviewing play, and that in the case of a penalty like that, the ref gets word through his earpiece.
      I think they have something like 12 screens, each monitored by 1 person, and they see from different angles etc
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #327: Feb 02, 2019 02:09:13 pm
      Quote from Lallana in Pyjamas

Because it's a wild kick out at Mane. It's nowhere near the ball, it's cynical, intentional, deliberate, and a red card anywhere on the pitch.

On the Palace incident, having watched the incident several times I don't see any push by Mane to justify a free kick. It's a straight forward handball in the box and a penalty. Then again Moss was in charge, so anything goes with him around.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #328: Feb 02, 2019 02:38:32 pm
      Because it's a wild kick out at Mane. It's nowhere near the ball, it's cynical, intentional, deliberate, and a red card anywhere on the pitch.

On the Palace incident, having watched the incident several times I don't see any push by Mane to justify a free kick. It's a straight forward handball in the box and a penalty. Then again Moss was in charge, so anything goes with him around.

It’s not a red card against Maguire - it’s a foul and a yellow , it wasn’t dangerous. If that’s a red card because of the tackle then the sport is in trouble
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #329: Feb 02, 2019 02:58:47 pm
      Joe Gomez is out for the best part of 3 months for a tackle that wasn't considered dangerous. This tackle was far worse and should have been fully punished.

At first, I thought it was a shirt pull and a yellow. When you see the kick, you can't blame a ref if he gives a red for it.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #330: Feb 02, 2019 03:21:30 pm
      Joe Gomez is out for the best part of 3 months for a tackle that wasn't considered dangerous. This tackle was far worse and should have been fully punished.

At first, I thought it was a shirt pull and a yellow. When you see the kick, you can't blame a ref if he gives a red for it.

It’s a yellow - every single ref has said its a yellow and you can see its a yellow , they looked at the replays and it’s still a yellow

Gomez tackle was a yellow

Players get injured because of all sorts of tackles - just because Gomez ended up with a bad injury doesn’t mean it’s a red card tackle
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #331: Feb 02, 2019 03:56:44 pm

Players get injured because of all sorts of tackles - just because Gomez ended up with a bad injury doesn’t mean it’s a red card tackle

For those that wear rose tinted glasses it's a red.  :lmao:
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #332: Feb 03, 2019 12:56:21 am
      It’s a yellow - every single ref has said its a yellow and you can see its a yellow , they looked at the replays and it’s still a yellow

Gomez tackle was a yellow

I didn't say it was. I said it wasn't considered dangerous.

You said the tackle this week was only a yellow because it wasn't dangerous. I said it was deliberate and cynical, which it was. If a VAR spots that, I would expect him to advise the on field ref to get a red card out for it. The same ref was advised to do exactly that during a VAR game a few weeks ago for a high late challenge, after just 2 minutes. Unfortunately he didn't have it this week.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #333: Feb 03, 2019 06:34:32 am
      I didn't say it was. I said it wasn't considered dangerous.

You said the tackle this week was only a yellow because it wasn't dangerous. I said it was deliberate and cynical, which it was. If a VAR spots that, I would expect him to advise the on field ref to get a red card out for it. The same ref was advised to do exactly that during a VAR game a few weeks ago for a high late challenge, after just 2 minutes. Unfortunately he didn't have it this week.
      Not in a million years was it a red card challenge - Refs saw it  again afterwards in replays and they have said it was a yellow , its a yellow card challenge.

Serious foul play
          Violent conduct
          Spitting at an opponent or any other person
          Denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to    a goalkeeper within their own penalty area)
          Deliberate fouls that deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal (D.O.G.S.O.)[5]
          Using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
          Receiving a second caution in the same match[1]:39

Thats what gets a red card and the Maguire challnge on Mane falls into none of them
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #334: Feb 03, 2019 10:41:33 pm
      Not in a million years was it a red card challenge - Refs saw it  again afterwards in replays and they have said it was a yellow , its a yellow card challenge.

Serious foul play
          Violent conduct
          Spitting at an opponent or any other person
          Denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to    a goalkeeper within their own penalty area)
          Deliberate fouls that deny an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal (D.O.G.S.O.)[5]
          Using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
          Receiving a second caution in the same match[1]:39

Thats what gets a red card and the Maguire challnge on Mane falls into none of them

It falls under a) Serious foul play and/or b) DOGSO. Mane has a goalscoring opportunity if there's no foul. It wasn't a mistimed challenge, the opponent knew exactly what he was doing, and hoped he would get away with it. Which without VAR, he did. About 5 minutes later, he scored.

The ref with the host broadcaster insisted the Keita call wasn't a penalty, despite what the replays clearly showed. Even the match commentators questioned his judgement. A replica of the same foul came in the England-Italy friendly last year, discussed in this thread from Post 66, where a penalty was then given by VAR.

Since then, the same ref who got two major decisions wrong in our game has given a ghost goal to our rivals for a clear handball. Every week it's the same names in the spotlight, making wrong decisions which affect results. They need VAR, we need VAR, so we can get up to the 99.3% correct decision rate VAR provides.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #335: Feb 22, 2019 11:59:35 pm
      Day 25 EPL, VAR Quiz:

Burnley v Southampton:
      Incident:
      Penalty claim by Burnley.
      Decision: Free kick, yellow card.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Penalty given.

Burnley v Southampton:
      Incident:
      Penalty claim by Burnley
      Decision: Penalty given.
      VAR Review? Decision Stands.

Chelsea v Huddersfield:
      Incident:
      Penalty claim by Huddersfield
      Decision: Goal kick.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned, Penalty given.

v West Ham (a):
      Incident: Offside claim.
      Decision: Goal Awarded.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Offside given.

City v Arsenal:
      Incident:
      Goal Scored by City.
      Decision: Goal given.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Free kick for handball.

TBC...
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #336: Feb 23, 2019 12:01:57 am
      Day 26 EPL, VAR Quiz:

Huddersfield v Arsenal:
      Incident:
      Penalty claim by Huddersfield.
      Decision: No action taken.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Penalty given for handball.

Huddersfield v Arsenal:
      Incident:
      Serious Foul Play by Huddersfield.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Free kick, Red Card, 3 game ban.

Brighton v Burnley:
      Incident:
      Penalty claim by Brighton.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Penalty for handball.

Palace v West Ham:
      Incident:
      Serious Foul Play by Palace.
      Decision: Free kick given.
      VAR Review? Decision Changed. Red Card for offender for reckless challenge.

Spurs v Leicester:
      Incident:
      Penalty claim by Spurs

TBC...
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #337: Mar 02, 2019 08:53:20 am
      Day 27 EPL, VAR Quiz:

West Ham v Fulham:
      Incident:
      Goal scored by West Ham.
      Decision: Goal given.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Free kick for intentional handball, automatic Red Card given to cheat, 3 game ban.

Cardiff v Watford:
      Incident:
      Penalty claim by Cardiff.

Bournemouth v Wolves:
      Incident:
      Penalty claim by Bournemouth.
      Decision: Penalty given.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Free kick.

v mancs (a):
      Incident: Penalty claim by us.
      Decision: Goal kick given.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Penalty given for foul on Matip.

TBC...
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #338: Mar 02, 2019 08:57:09 am
      Day 28 EPL, VAR Quiz:

City v West Ham:
      Incident:
      Penalty claim by City.
      Decision: Penalty given

Palace v mancs:
      Incident: Goal Scored by Palace..
      Decision: Free kick given.

Arsenal v Bournemouth:
      Incident:
      Penalty claim by Arsenal.
      Decision: No action given.

Leicester v Brighton:
      Incident:
      Serious Foul Play by Leicester.
      VAR Review? Decision Changed. Red Card for offender, 4 game ban for second straight red of the season.

A minimum of 15 incorrect decisions in 40 February games, brings the season total to 86. One coach was fired within a week of a major refereeing error against his side. That is what happens when serious mistakes at the very highest level are allowed to stand.

Only 100 league games remaining, before errors can be rectified as and when necessary.

TBC...
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #339: Mar 06, 2019 10:07:29 pm
      VAR :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I'm all for it as you know but never a penalty  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #340: Mar 07, 2019 02:33:49 pm
      Was pro the introduction of VAR but having seen some of the decisions like the one last night not sure anymore.
      It’s going to be any ball to hand is a penalty the way they seem to be interpreting things.
      The ruling is supposed to be there to help the officials with players deliberately sticking their arm to block a ball.
      With Refs just looking in slow mo then any slight movement of the arm/hand will look like a penalty.

And can you imagine the likes of Jon Moss and a Mike Dean making a right decision.

I know it’s not the fault of VAR and it’s the interpretation in which case leave alone if the Refs are too incompetent to make the right call.
      Maybe the answer is better Refs  :roll:

All very confusing.
      « Last Edit: Mar 07, 2019 02:38:52 pm by HScRed1 »
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #341: Mar 07, 2019 02:40:29 pm
      I guess someone will have to explain this to me, but why was last night's call in the PSG game such a bad decision? The PSG player jumped and extended his arms away from his body and the ball hit him, is that not a handball?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #342: Mar 07, 2019 03:04:04 pm
      I guess someone will have to explain this to me, but why was last night's call in the PSG game such a bad decision? The PSG player jumped and extended his arms away from his body and the ball hit him, is that not a handball?

The Rules on handball :

1. The movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

2. The distance between the opponent and the ball.

3. The position of the hand does not necessarily mean there is an offence.

So last night the player jumps in the air and turns around but his arms are not out vertical making himself larger and besides it’s physically impossible to turn around without movement in your arms.

The ball is going into the top stand which is slightly irrelevant but would you want every one of these now a penalty.

And thirdly the Utd players were even more surprised at the decision than Paris.

Handball has to be a clear and obvious block of the movement of the ball. Not easy to stick your arm/hand out when you have your back turned.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #343: Mar 08, 2019 02:12:34 pm
      The Rules on handball :

1. The movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

2. The distance between the opponent and the ball.

3. The position of the hand does not necessarily mean there is an offence.

So last night the player jumps in the air and turns around but his arms are not out vertical making himself larger and besides it’s physically impossible to turn around without movement in your arms.

The ball is going into the top stand which is slightly irrelevant but would you want every one of these now a penalty.

And thirdly the Utd players were even more surprised at the decision than Paris.

Handball has to be a clear and obvious block of the movement of the ball. Not easy to stick your arm/hand out when you have your back turned.
      Yep, this really wasn't an issue of VAR letting anyone down, it was an issue of the interpretation of the handball being wrong.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #344: Mar 08, 2019 02:15:33 pm
      As reluctant as I am to say it, the defender has no case imo. UEFA have since confirmed that the handball did not pass Rule 2 of the above post, and therefore the VAR decision was correct.

In Brexit for refs news, no English refs will officiate in the European Cup until they have experience of using VAR in their domestic leagues. They can officiate in this year's UEFA Cup until the final, where VAR is in operation. So until the EPL use it and cut down on those 100+ major errors per season, the likes of Atkinson and Oliver and Taylor have to sit it out.

Quick Reply