Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233259 times
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Re: VAR
      Reply #345: Mar 29, 2019 08:58:22 am
      Day 29 EPL, VAR Quiz:

Spurs v Arsenal:
      Incident:
      Penalty claim by Spurs.
      Decision: Penalty given
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Offside given.

Spurs v Arsenal:
      Incident: Penalty claim by Arsenal.
      Decision: Penalty given.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Goal kick given.

mancs v Southampton:
      Incident: Penalty claim by Southampton.
      Decision: No action given.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Penalty given.

TBC...
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #346: Mar 29, 2019 08:59:25 am
      Day 30 EPL, VAR Quiz:

City v Watford:
      Incident:
      Goal scored by City.
      Decision: Goal given
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Goal given.

Newcastle v Everton:
      Incident: Penalty claim by Newcastle.
      VAR Review? Decision Changed. Penalty given. Red card for goalkeeper.

Newcastle v Everton:
      Incident:
      Goal scored by Newcastle.
      Decision: Goal given.

Arsenal v mancs:
      Incident: Penalty claim by Arsenal.
      VAR Review? Decision Stands.

v Burnley (h):
      Incident:
      Goal scored by Burnley.
      Decision: Goal given. Yellow card.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Free kick given.

All decisions of Week 31 so far have been called correct. Even though the same Leicester player who should have been dismissed when he fouled Mane, was when he tried exactly the same trick again in their game v Burnley. The ref spotted it this time, and did what he had to do. With only half the scheduled games of the round played so far, wrong decisions in the remaining games will feature in later rounds.

TBC...
      Guruji
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 63 posts | 55 
      Reply #347: Apr 08, 2019 11:01:16 pm
      What makes me laugh about this thread is how you write "VAR Review: xxx would've happened" as a type of matter-of-fact statement, when in reality football will always be a game of opinions and you have no idea what would've actually been decided.

I can guarantee that if City's FA Cup semi last Saturday was a Premier League game, you would be writing a note something like this:

City v Brighton:
      Incident: Serious foul play by Walker.
      Decision: Yellow card
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Red card and 3-match ban for Walker.

VAR is better than nothing, but it will never be as cut-and-dry as your weekly statements make out to be.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #348: Apr 08, 2019 11:15:15 pm
      What makes me laugh about this thread is how you write "VAR Review: xxx would've happened" as a type of matter-of-fact statement, when in reality football will always be a game of opinions and you have no idea what would've actually been decided.

I can guarantee that if City's FA Cup semi last Saturday was a Premier League game, you would be writing a note something like this:

City v Brighton:
      Incident: Serious foul play by Walker.
      Decision: Yellow card
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Red card and 3-match ban for Walker.

VAR is better than nothing, but it will never be as cut-and-dry as your weekly statements make out to be.

Agreed. It's all well and good saying what would have happened with VAR but they've proven a few times now that it still doesn't get the right decision because you've still got the same useless officials making the decision...as proven by the wonderful Paul Tierney recently - F***ing useless on the pitch and F***ing useless looking at a screen. Both instances he's had a mare.

They need to sit down and sieve through to find which current and/or previous officials have made the fewest big errors over whatever period of time and have them reviewing the VAR. Getting the likes of Paul Tierney who has only recently made a shocking call in a game to do it isn't going to make VAR be any significant improvement on how things are now. How you can get a ref who made such a bad call in favour of City only a matter of weeks ago, heading up the VAR for a game that team is again involved in doesn't sit right with me to begin with. That's not just because it's City and the trophies they are chasing, they just happen to be the team involved on both occasions, I'd think it regardless of the team.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #349: Apr 09, 2019 10:30:55 pm
      Just saw Fernandinho's elbow, how the F**k did that not go to VAR and a sending off?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #350: Apr 09, 2019 11:12:20 pm
      Just saw Fernandinho's elbow, how the f**k did that not go to VAR and a sending off?

Because it's a City player.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #351: Apr 09, 2019 11:32:13 pm

Yeah, so much for this "VAR quiz" nonsense that tries to bring some form of system to something that is still just some dickheads making human judgements.
      CT_LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,782 posts | 1395 
      Reply #352: Apr 09, 2019 11:39:59 pm

You sure eat up the City conspiracy
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #353: Apr 10, 2019 12:03:35 am
      You sure eat up the City conspiracy

Don't take it so seriously, was more just getting at the fact that the team with the most controversies going on at the moment regarding VAR is City. Will be another team before long.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #354: Apr 10, 2019 03:38:15 pm
      Day 32 EPL, VAR Quiz:

Cardiff v Chelsea:
      Incident:
      Goal scored by Chelsea.

Cardiff v Chelsea:
      Incident: Penalty claim by Cardiff.
      Decision: No action taken.

Cardiff v Chelsea:
      Incident:
      Serious Foul Play by Chelsea.
      Decision: Free kick, yellow card.

v Spurs (h):
      Incident:
      Penalty claim by us.
      Decision: Corner given.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Penalty given for handball in box from Origi free kick.

At least 10 decisions from the shortened March schedule should have been changed, as we head towards the three figure mark for the season.

TBC...
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #355: Apr 10, 2019 03:39:36 pm
      Day 33 EPL, VAR Quiz:

Newcastle v Palace:
      Incident:
      Goal scored by Palace.
      Decision: Offside given.

v Southampton (a):
      Incident:
      Penalty claim by us.

TBC...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #356: Apr 10, 2019 03:39:37 pm
      Day 32 EPL, VAR Quiz:

Cardiff v Chelsea:
      Incident:
      Goal scored by Chelsea.

Cardiff v Chelsea:
      Incident: Penalty claim by Cardiff.

Cardiff v Chelsea:
      Incident:
      Serious Foul Play by Chelsea.
      Decision: Free kick, yellow card.

v Spurs (h):
      Incident:
      Penalty claim by us.
      Decision: Corner given.
      VAR Review? Decision Overturned. Penalty given for handball in box from Origi free kick.

At least 10 decisions from the shortened March schedule should have been changed, as we head towards the three figure mark for the season.

TBC...

Not sure how itā€™s a quiz...
      You have no clue what would or wouldnā€™t have happened had it gone to VAR.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #357: Apr 10, 2019 03:40:28 pm
      Quote from Guruji

You know I don't question a VAR decision, as it's like a refereeing version of CAS. Once a VAR makes a call on an incident, there is usually a valid case for why the final decision was made. There could be 100mn quid on the line over the coming weeks, a gang of clubs are hoping to avoid finishing 18th, we're in a title race, where mistakes by players and/or officials carry greater weight.

I don't get the row over that cup incident. The VAR at the time reviewed the incident and knowing what happened, decided a yellow for both players sufficed. One pundit thought the second goal in the other semi final was offside, questioning VAR because he thought the decision was wrong. No action was required as the replay showed the forward clearly onside. But just because somebody doesn't agree with one decision occasionally, doesn't mean we must tear it up and take a step back to the bad old ways. VAR has already cut down on dark arts behaviour at set pieces, practically eliminated diving in the penalty area, and drastically reduced protests about decisions in general on the pitch. That is great for the game.

There will be 100+ major, game changing, refereeing injustices in the EPL this season allowed to stand. Like everyone else in the league, we've suffered our fair share of crap decisions. If we won at Arsenal as we should have with VAR, we would be comfortably top of the league now. But it's not and our fate is out of our hands atm. VAR has a 99.3% correct decision rate, so when it is called upon, it will get many more decisions right than we do atm.
      « Last Edit: Apr 10, 2019 03:48:32 pm by lfc across the water »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #358: Apr 10, 2019 03:43:44 pm
      You know I don't question a VAR decision, as it's like a refereeing version of CAS. Once a VAR makes a call on an incident, there is usually a valid case for why the final decision was made. There could be 100mn quid on the line over the coming weeks, a gang of clubs are hoping to avoid finishing 18th, we're in a title race, where mistakes by players and/or officials carry greater weight.

I don't get the row over that cup incident. The VAR at the time reviewed the incident and knowing what happened, decided a yellow for both players sufficed. One pundit thought the second goal in the other semi final was offside, questioning VAR because he thought the decision was wrong. No action was required as the replay showed the forward clearly onside. But just because somebody doesn't agree with one decision occasionally, doesn't mean we must tear it up and take a step back to the bad old ways. VAR has already cut down on dark arts behaviour at set pieces, practically eliminated diving in the penalty area, and drastically reduced protests about decisions in general. That is great for the game.

There will be 100+ major, game changing, refereeing injustices in the EPL this season allowed to stand. Like everyone else in the league, we've suffered our fair share of crap decisions. If we won at Arsenal as we should have with VAR, we would be comfortably top of the league now. But it's not and our fate is out of our hands atm. VAR has a 99.3% correct decision rate, so when it is called upon, it will get many more decisions right than we do atm.

Amazing how you manage to come to such conclusions regarding VAR, yet you canā€™t work out how to quote someoneā€™s post properly.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #359: Apr 10, 2019 05:52:22 pm
      Amazing how you manage to come to such conclusions regarding VAR, yet you canā€™t work out how to quote someoneā€™s post properly.

I agree with him - are you a qualified referee to allow you to make the judgements you keep stating as fact

Perfect example is the Maguire incident which you claimed would be a ā€œredā€ despite all qualified referees stating it was a yellow.

So how are you qualified to make factual statements about VAR decisions
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #360: Apr 10, 2019 06:55:15 pm
      I agree with him - are you a qualified referee to allow you to make the judgements you keep stating as fact

Perfect example is the Maguire incident which you claimed would be a ā€œredā€ despite all qualified referees stating it was a yellow.

So how are you qualified to make factual statements about VAR decisions

Well that's a massive contradiction if ever there was one. You agree with one poster who is stating their argument as fact but then question the qualification of somebody else who is stating an opinion about their so called "facts".

That poster also said -
      If we won at Arsenal as we should have with VAR, we would be comfortably top of the league now.

Which is a pointless thing to be stating because the entire season since then would have been slightly different, we could have lost more and been 4th for all he knows.

So I expect you to show some consistency and ask the same question - "So how are you qualified to make factual statements about VAR decisions" to the poster who is saying what would and wouldn't happen if VAR was used on certain instances.

As for all qualified refs saying it was only a yellow... what qualifies you to make that statement? Have you looked up the opinion of every qualified ref in the game?

Come back to me when you stop contradicting yourself.
      « Last Edit: Apr 10, 2019 07:05:22 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #361: Apr 10, 2019 07:16:12 pm
      Well that's a massive contradiction if ever there was one. You agree with one poster who is stating their argument as fact but then question the qualification of somebody else who is stating an opinion about their so called "facts".

That poster also said -
      Which is a pointless thing to be stating because the entire season since then would have been slightly different, we could have lost more and been 4th for all he knows.

So I expect you to show some consistency and ask the same question - "So how are you qualified to make factual statements about VAR decisions" to the poster who is saying what would and wouldn't happen if VAR was used on certain instances.

As for all qualified refs saying it was only a yellow... what qualifies you to make that statement? Have you looked up the opinion of every qualified ref in the game?

Come back to me when you stop contradicting yourself.

Calm yourself down there lad - i quoted the wrong person , I was actually agreeing with you. Maybe instead of overreacting take a step backwards and check
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #362: Apr 10, 2019 07:56:54 pm
      I thought the VAR review was good, others are right though it's not a quiz. Might be time to not bother as VAR is coming to PL soon.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #363: Apr 10, 2019 09:44:22 pm
      Calm yourself down there lad - i quoted the wrong person , I was actually agreeing with you. Maybe instead of overreacting take a step backwards and check

I didnā€™t overreact at all and Iā€™m perfectly calm. No need to take a step back because thereā€™s no way anyone could have thought you quoted the wrong person.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #364: Apr 11, 2019 11:18:21 am
      United not getting away with murder at OT. What's not to love about VAR
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #365: Apr 11, 2019 11:51:12 am
      I didnā€™t overreact at all and Iā€™m perfectly calm. No need to take a step back because thereā€™s no way anyone could have thought you quoted the wrong person.

It appeared to me that your response was a touch aggressive - as I said I was supposed to quote yourself , no big issues.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #366: May 02, 2019 01:49:00 am
      TELL ME MORE ABOUT HOW GOOD VAR WILL BE WHEN BARCA GET AWAY WITH MURDER IN THAT F***ing GAME.

F**k VAR.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #367: May 02, 2019 01:55:13 am

Sounds like a new brand of cheap vodka

Quick Reply