Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233663 times
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,623 posts | 477 
      Re: VAR
      Reply #483: Sep 17, 2019 10:02:16 pm
      VAR is trash. F**k that ref.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,481 posts | 3286 
      Reply #484: Sep 17, 2019 10:12:01 pm
      Where is Mr VAR and his little F***ing analysis ?

Head still firmly in the sand  :f_steam:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #485: Sep 17, 2019 10:14:48 pm
      VAR is just a waste of everyone’s time, clearly the officials think that because they don’t like to use it.

bigbob75
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,264 posts | 280 
      • Let's talk about six
      Reply #486: Sep 17, 2019 10:21:01 pm
      Needs scrapping. It’s bollocks!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #487: Sep 18, 2019 12:04:15 am
      Useless if a decision which for me looks like a good interception and dive cannot be ruled out.  It's game changing and it gives VAR plenty of time to overturn it.   Like some have said VAR is to protect Referees not get decisions right.    You can get one of the biggest threats to set pieces in a headlock to stop him scoring VAR will do nothing.  If this is going to remotely work they just need to sort out the main objective which should be to aim at getting good decisions.   
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #488: Sep 18, 2019 12:32:35 am
      Quote from HUYTON RED
      Interesting piece on the BBC Sport website claiming there are at least four decisions that VAR have fu**ed up on so far since the season began.

It was Riley saying he thought there were 4 errors. Under the thresholds and high bars in place, just 1 was an error. The other incidents were simply his opinion about what should have happened. This is someone who once thought Carvalho practicing his volleyball skills in front of the Kop was not a penalty.

Quote from fields of anny rd
      The level of ability the VAR has within the current English guidelines will mean very few decisions being over turned other than offsides.

It has to be absolutely stone wall wrong to the point of the offender having to be charged with GBH before the VAR will over rule a referee who doesn't give a pen,  and about a foot of contact away from contact for a ref who does award a pen before replays showing it was a dive before they over rule him the other way too.

It's very poor in its current guise and it smacks of referees who are too insecure to put the good of the game, and the accuracy of decisions ahead of their damaged egos if a they are proven wrong.

This is VAR a la carte in the EPL, confined to handballs by forwards, and offside incidents only. While the reviews on the halfway line which are supposed to be used, have been effectively banned by Riley. Therefore (in what sounds similar to what happens in a different sport) subjective decisions ultimately come down to the "referee's call" on the pitch.

Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      VAR is just a waste of everyone’s time, clearly the officials think that because they don’t like to use it.

Just because we don't like a decision, doesn't mean it will be scrapped. 3 decisions were changed by VAR on the first night of the group stage. We're not taking a step back to how things used to be. It's part of the game now at the very highest level, and we all just have to get on with it.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #489: Sep 18, 2019 08:36:49 am
      Someone needs to explain what constitutes a "Clear and obvious error" because its got me baffled.

From my point of view the awarding of that penalty was a clear and obvious error because it was not a penalty, so why was it not overturned. Is it only if a player dives with no contact at all that it would be overturned, in that case you'll hardly ever see a penalty decision overturned.

BTW I have no issue with 50-50 calls favouring the ref, as it is in cricket, but there is simply no way that was a penalty upon VAR review, to use cricket's VAR for context Pitching and Impact were NOT in line, it was missing the Wickets plus the bowler overstepped as well ;-)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #490: Sep 18, 2019 09:29:42 am
      No point having it if it just compounds the refs error.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #491: Sep 18, 2019 06:18:02 pm
      It was Riley saying he thought there were 4 errors. Under the thresholds and high bars in place, just 1 was an error. The other incidents were simply his opinion about what should have happened. This is someone who once thought Carvalho practicing his volleyball skills in front of the Kop was not a penalty.

This is VAR a la carte in the EPL, confined to handballs by forwards, and offside incidents only. While the reviews on the halfway line which are supposed to be used, have been effectively banned by Riley. Therefore (in what sounds similar to what happens in a different sport) subjective decisions ultimately come down to the "referee's call" on the pitch.

Just because we don't like a decision, doesn't mean it will be scrapped. 3 decisions were changed by VAR on the first night of the group stage. We're not taking a step back to how things used to be. It's part of the game now at the very highest level, and we all just have to get on with it.

Bollocks and you know it. Funny how you mention what it does correct but not what it gets wrong.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #492: Sep 18, 2019 06:31:43 pm
      Quote from heimdall
      Someone needs to explain what constitutes a "Clear and obvious error" because its got me baffled.

From my point of view the awarding of that penalty was a clear and obvious error because it was not a penalty, so why was it not overturned. Is it only if a player dives with no contact at all that it would be overturned, in that case you'll hardly ever see a penalty decision overturned.

Very few of them are. Once the contact is seen, that's usually enough to justify the decision. Plus, European refs have traditionally always been much stricter on contact, than in our league.

Maybe it might be overturned if the ref went to a screen, but I only say maybe. Then you're into "takes too long, slows the game down" territory again.

I think the incident shows though, that all we want is the right decision, we'll worry about the time it takes to make it later.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #493: Sep 19, 2019 02:14:47 am
      What a bullshit F***ing useless piece of crap this is. Why have it if they don't F***ing use it!!!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #494: Sep 19, 2019 08:19:57 am
      Very few of them are. Once the contact is seen, that's usually enough to justify the decision. Plus, European refs have traditionally always been much stricter on contact, than in our league.

Maybe it might be overturned if the ref went to a screen, but I only say maybe. Then you're into "takes too long, slows the game down" territory again.

I think the incident shows though, that all we want is the right decision, we'll worry about the time it takes to make it later.

For penalty decisions I'm more than happy with there being a delay as they have such a dramatic effect on a game. I thought this was the whole bloody point of VAR, to cut out the bad decisions, and the awarding of that penalty was a bad decision. I am certain that if the ref had seen that on a screen he would have reversed his decision.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #495: Sep 19, 2019 01:53:22 pm

Keep making your excuses.

It's not the game changer it was made out to be and our biggest fear, the cu*ts who are using it and making decisions are absolutely F***ing useless.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #496: Sep 19, 2019 05:00:26 pm
      What a bullshit f**king useless piece of crap this is. Why have it if they don't f**king use it!!!

Unfortunately the technology can only be as good as the people who are using it and unfortunately, the people using it are complete and utter F***ing morons.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,660 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #497: Sep 19, 2019 06:56:39 pm
      VAR sucks, VAR robs, VAR kills the thrill, etc :(
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #498: Sep 20, 2019 12:37:29 pm
      Since VAR is going to be a regular talking point I think it deserves it's own topic. Not sure what section it goes in but I'm sure mods will correct it accordingly if wrong.

Are members in favour of  what's looks like to be the future of football?

Like anything in a new ruling there's always going to be teething problems. All though I haven't seen them I do think long term it's a very good idea. They say it's only to be used in clear and obvious circumstances. That wasn't the case recently as many will know. However, from the letter of the law the correct decision was made even though under suspicious circumstance ( just my opinion)

Are you for it or against it? Thoughts welcome.

I started this thread back in Feb  and now doubting VAR due to the morons making the decisions behind the camera  :f_steam: Ive seen some clear and obvious decisions go against teams  its pathetic. Like many say it does spoil the excitement and appears to be getting worse not better  :f_wah:
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #499: Sep 20, 2019 09:18:39 pm
      Another absolute nightmare for VAR there - Cedric completely taking the man and not the ball and no pen.

Laughable.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #500: Sep 20, 2019 09:22:24 pm
      Another absolute nightmare for VAR there - Cedric completely taking the man and not the ball and no pen.

Laughable.

Couldn’t believe that wasn’t given! Was more of a penalty than the one Saints got and the didn’t even review that.

Embarrassing again.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #501: Sep 21, 2019 05:04:09 pm
      Quote from HUYTON RED
      It's not the game changer it was made out to be and our biggest fear, the cu*ts who are using it and making decisions are absolutely F***ing useless.

Yes it has changed things. We've been top of the league ever since that City effort v Spurs was correctly changed. In 3 other games, VAR changing wrong decisions has influenced the final result. It's not used as much as I expected, but when it is, it is clearly making a difference to who wins games and who doesn't.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #502: Sep 21, 2019 05:23:13 pm
      Yes it has changed things. We've been top of the league ever since that City effort v Spurs was correctly changed. In 3 other games, VAR changing wrong decisions has influenced the final result. It's not used as much as I expected, but when it is, it is clearly making a difference to who wins games and who doesn't.

Changing some things and not others isnt going to make the game fair.

It's funny they go down to the nth degree whe  it comes to offsides, yet all of a sudden the referees are allowed a huge grey area when it comes to penalty shouts/red cards.

They are protecting each others arses rather than giving the correct decisions. It's a load of bollocks until they have the backbone to over rule each other for blatantly incorrect calls.

The referees initial decision is having too great an impact on proceedings.

They should be going to the monitor to judge for themselves. The sooner referees get used to changing their decisions, the better for the game. At the moment they are clinging on to for dear life to keep the refs initial call no matter what the replays show.

All in all a load of bollocks.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #503: Sep 21, 2019 08:40:01 pm
      They can go to the nth degree for offsides, because they are factual decisions. Penalties are often subjective. Referees should go to monitors for them, but VAR's in this league seem more concerned about the time it takes, because it brings headlines.

VAR or no VAR, we lose 20 minutes playing time per game for stoppages/substitutions. An extra minute  or two to verify a major decision on a monitor isn't going to hurt anyone. And unlike with stoppages/subs, you'll get the minute or two back in injury time.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #504: Sep 21, 2019 10:01:41 pm
      They can go to the nth degree for offsides, because they are factual decisions. Penalties are often subjective. Referees should go to monitors for them, but VAR's in this league seem more concerned about the time it takes, because it brings headlines.

VAR or no VAR, we lose 20 minutes playing time per game for stoppages/substitutions. An extra minute  or two to verify a major decision on a monitor isn't going to hurt anyone. And unlike with stoppages/subs, you'll get the minute or two back in injury time.

It's not that factual, the var referee decides where to start the line on the defender and then on the attacker. There is no technology that determines the exact point the ball touches the boot.

If he draws it a millimetre closer from Sons shoulder, or stops it a split second earlier upon contact, Spurs go 2-0 up.

Another ref in the VAR hut and that could have been given. It is entirely subjective.
      « Last Edit: Sep 21, 2019 11:02:32 pm by fields of anny rd »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #505: Sep 22, 2019 12:11:12 am
      very difficult decision

https://twitter.com/benwebblfc/status/1174063037776613378?s=21

Useless absolutely useless is VAR!

Quick Reply