Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233277 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Re: VAR
      Reply #644: Nov 14, 2019 10:46:38 pm
      Hahahaha just caught Kevin Davies on SSN claiming "we've got the best refs in the world"

Heading the ball definitely does have an effect on the brain then!!
      Santiagosut
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #645: Nov 16, 2019 04:01:25 pm
      In my opinion it's not VAR that's wrong it's the useless fuckers implementing it

I think you're definitely on to something, but I think VAR is bad on its own merit. Pair it up with useless idiots implementing it, and you have a disaster.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #646: Nov 19, 2019 11:51:51 pm
      Quote from RedWilly
      Got an advantage by having his toe 1mm offside, 1MM!!!!!! 

Funny how you’ve gone quiet on your  weekly VAR quiz after a season.

As VAR is in our league, the quiz is not required. That was clear and obvious 6 months ago. If we had VAR last season as in every other major league, there would have been no quiz at all.

Offside is a factual decision, there is zero leeway. 1mm is offside, it always was offside. Now we have the technology to spot exactly how many mms it is, forwards can't benefit when they are in an offside position anymore.

Quote from JD
      On the whole, VAR has improved the accuracy of decisions.  Something like 80% correct decisions without VAR last year and now above 90%.

Yes there is still the odd issue - with regards to offside I think they've gone a bit overboard with all this measuring armpit bollocks.  Whatever happened to the advantage being with the striker.  Certainly stop the blatant offside errors but Firmino's goal and Sheffield United's goal last weekend should have stood IMO.

Overall, the league table 'lies' less now than it used to.

I saw a league table "without VAR" at the weekend. We would be 7 points ahead without it, in comparison to the 8 we are ahead with it. It may not mean a lot in November, but 1 point was the difference last May, as we know.

I also saw some other hack argue that VAR-less leagues get on fine, with the occasional injustice. But that's the problem. The "occasional injustice" means it's not fine. Results decide who wins games, titles and trophies, so the result has to be correct. Millimetres matter come the end of the season when the prizes are handed out, as the winners are doing their laps of honour, and the rest have to try again the following year.

Riley has decided that the VAR monitor should continue to be an ornament in the tunnel area. Watching a monitor does not affect the integrity of the competition, it's there to make a refs job easier. The accuracy of the decision should be their only consideration, especially with so much at stake as there is nowadays.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #647: Nov 20, 2019 12:17:43 pm
      Still not fit for purpose and we'll see more rule changes in the game to iron out the obvious flaws.

It's here to stay, not necessarily for the best.Taking the timekeeping out the referees hands and allowing temporary substitutes for suspected concussion and other injuries would improve the game far more than this tawdry technology.

But then again, I never really cared about refereeing mistakes, they're human, they're allowed to make them. As for those of you who don't think refereeing mistakes are a (beautiful) part of our game, I just don't understand you and I'm not sure I'm willing to try.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #648: Nov 22, 2019 08:57:17 pm
      As shown in the Firmino incident against Villa, you do care about refereeing mistakes when it involves us. Your reaction was to challenge me to "justify the unjustifiable". My response was not having VAR, would not have made any difference to the original offside decision.

There's nothing "beautiful" about refereeing mistakes, any more than there is about the Gerrard slip, or Karius butterfingers episodes in goal. You'll never eliminate mistakes, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't do everything to limit them to as few as possible, because mistakes cost money and trophies. I know you don't care about the lost revenue, but others do.

You've said repeatedly that you want timekeeping taken out of the refs hands. You haven't put forward an alternative, nor who should do it instead, nor even how it could/should be done. I don't know what your issue with it is, but no matter what method is used, games still have to be played over 90 minutes.

There was a time not very long ago, when there was one substitution allowed per game. Now there are 3 to cover all injuries, and another sub allowed for games that go to extra time. It is usually enough to cover all situations.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #649: Nov 22, 2019 09:33:39 pm
      As shown in the Firmino incident against Villa, you do care about refereeing mistakes when it involves us. Your reaction was to challenge me to "justify the unjustifiable". My response was not having VAR, would not have made any difference to the original offside decision.

There's nothing "beautiful" about refereeing mistakes, any more than there is about the Gerrard slip, or Karius butterfingers episodes in goal. You'll never eliminate mistakes, that doesn't mean that we shouldn't do everything to limit them to as few as possible, because mistakes cost money and trophies. I know you don't care about the lost revenue, but others do.

You've said repeatedly that you want timekeeping taken out of the refs hands. You haven't put forward an alternative, nor who should do it instead, nor even how it could/should be done. I don't know what your issue with it is, but no matter what method is used, games still have to be played over 90 minutes.

There was a time not very long ago, when there was one substitution allowed per game. Now there are 3 to cover all injuries, and another sub allowed for games that go to extra time. It is usually enough to cover all situations.

As per usual you misconstrue and disseminate. I'd have no problem with the goal being denied by the linesman, I asked you to justify VAR F***ing it up, which you still haven't.

Timekeeping, I have mentioned why in the past, we aren't getting 90 minutes of football. We've had games with less than fifty,  the last live match I was at had 53 minutes in which the ball was in play. As for who, an independent timekeeper, but i thought that was self explanatory, it is a job the referee doesn't need to do.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #650: Nov 23, 2019 12:00:04 am
      If the ref doesn't have to do it, another FIFA qualified official has to. So it's hard to see what difference it would make.

You did have a problem with the goal disallowed on the pitch. Many questioned why we have VAR after it. But getting rid of it doesn't solve the problem. The goal would still be disallowed.

Meanwhile, Riley now highlights 4 other recent VAR decisions made, as errors. I would disagree and say at least 3 of those, were correct at the time. If he doesn't understand why fouls and penalties are awarded for kicks on opponents legs and feet being trodden on, then he isn't helping himself or his colleagues in their jobs.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #651: Nov 23, 2019 12:23:30 am
      If the ref doesn't have to do it, another FIFA qualified official has to. So it's hard to see what difference it would make.

You did have a problem with the goal disallowed on the pitch. Many questioned why we have VAR after it. But getting rid of it doesn't solve the problem. The goal would still be disallowed.

Meanwhile, Riley now highlights 4 other recent VAR decisions made, as errors. I would disagree and say at least 3 of those, were correct at the time. If he doesn't understand why fouls and penalties are awarded for kicks on opponents legs and feet being trodden on, then he isn't helping himself or his colleagues in their jobs.

You're still defecting and not answering Roddenberry -
      I asked you to justify VAR f**king it up, which you still haven't.

Why do you constantly deflect and ignore the faults or serious questions being asked of VAR? and generally deflect when you are asked to justify something. You just try to put your own spin on the system and make excuses as if you are one of the people behind the implementation of it. You bored us to death with your pathetic weekly VAR quiz last season and were adamant them decisions would have been corrected this season but when they haven't been, you completely ignore it as if you didn't waste your time doing that so called quiz. Then when Riley admits to there being faults so far, you then disagree with him and saying who he is or isn't helping. You spend so much time trying to justify it and support the ones overseeing it but then when they highlight a fault you still try to justify the VAR decision.

Dig your head out the sand for christ sake. You're obsession with this whole VAR thing is as embarrassing as the one you had with Rafa that went on for years.

People aren't questioning the technology on the whole, more the people in control of it and the way it's being used with so many inconsistencies but you can't seem to grasp that.
      « Last Edit: Nov 23, 2019 12:39:01 am by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #652: Nov 23, 2019 08:54:33 am
      Why do you constantly deflect and ignore the faults or serious questions being asked of VAR? and generally deflect when you are asked to justify something. You just try to put your own spin on the system and make excuses as if you are one of the people behind the implementation of it. You bored us to death with your pathetic weekly VAR quiz last season and were adamant them decisions would have been corrected this season but when they haven't been, you completely ignore it as if you didn't waste your time doing that so called quiz. Then when Riley admits to there being faults so far, you then disagree with him and saying who he is or isn't helping. You spend so much time trying to justify it and support the ones overseeing it but then when they highlight a fault you still try to justify the VAR decision.

Dig your head out the sand for christ sake. You're obsession with this whole VAR thing is as embarrassing as the one you had with Rafa that went on for years.

People aren't questioning the technology on the whole, more the people in control of it and the way it's being used with so many inconsistencies but you can't seem to grasp that.

Head. Brick wall. Banging.

Honestly, the fella does it get a rise, no other explanation for it. Sad case saying 1mm offside must be changed and making things up like the advantage being given to the defender.

And now the latest one, saying those implement it Riley etc are wrong to criticize his precious system.

Maybe we should all bump the VAR quiz thread again to have a laugh at how wrong he got it all
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #653: Nov 23, 2019 10:15:23 am
      Head. Brick wall. Banging.

Honestly, the fella does it get a rise, no other explanation for it. Sad case saying 1mm offside must be changed and making things up like the advantage being given to the defender.

And now the latest one, saying those implement it Riley etc are wrong to criticize his precious system.

Maybe we should all bump the VAR quiz thread again to have a laugh at how wrong he got it all

Exactly, especially as far as the rule book goes for the last two or three decades the advantage has always been given to the attacker. This was changed early - mid 90s and don't ever remember it being reversed.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #654: Nov 23, 2019 10:32:47 pm

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #655: Nov 24, 2019 01:55:13 pm

You laugh but it's all part of the master plan of 'oh you only won it because of VAR' from the haters

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #656: Nov 24, 2019 09:16:04 pm
      You laugh but it's all part of the master plan of 'oh you only won it because of VAR' from the haters

You are right.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #657: Nov 25, 2019 08:59:59 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      Why do you constantly deflect and ignore the faults or serious questions being asked of VAR? and generally deflect when you are asked to justify something. You just try to put your own spin on the system and make excuses as if you are one of the people behind the implementation of it. You bored us with your pathetic weekly VAR quiz last season and were adamant them decisions would have been corrected this season but when they haven't been, you completely ignore it as if you didn't waste your time doing that so called quiz. Then when Riley admits to there being faults so far, you then disagree with him and saying who he is or isn't helping. You spend so much time trying to justify it and support the ones overseeing it but then when they highlight a fault you still try to justify the VAR decision.

Sorry if you were bored by the quiz, but we were supposed to have VAR last season along with every other major league and we didn't, so the quiz was required to show what should have happened. People are still questioning the technology, especially with offside calls. Offside is black and white, yet the decision is still debated afterwards, as we argue the toss over "advantages".

I answered Roddenberry twice. If he doesn't like the answer, then I can't help him as I've genuinely nothing more to add to it. What I have a lot more to say about is, another desperate cheat tried his luck against us at the weekend. He successfully conned Kevin Friend, but he could not con the camera. Friend really should have spotted that tbh without the need for VAR, but he's not Michael Oliver and he doesn't spot things that other refs spot. Luckily VAR was there to cover for him.

Riley was an awful ref back in the day, and he's no better now. Earlier in the season, he claimed a penalty not given in Bournemouth v City was a VAR error, yet he now claims that a penalty given for Brighton v Everton for an identical incident, was also a VAR error. You couldn't make it up.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #658: Nov 25, 2019 09:06:53 pm
      Sorry if you were bored by the quiz, but we were supposed to have VAR last season along with every other major league and we didn't, so the quiz was required to show what should have happened. People are still questioning the technology, especially with offside calls. Offside is black and white, yet the decision is still debated afterwards, as we argue the toss over "advantages".

I answered Roddenberry twice. If he doesn't like the answer, then I can't help him as I've genuinely nothing more to add to it. What I have a lot more to say about is, another desperate cheat tried his luck against us at the weekend. He successfully conned Kevin Friend, but he could not con the camera. Friend really should have spotted that tbh without the need for VAR, but he's not Michael Oliver and he doesn't spot things that other refs spot. Luckily VAR was there to cover for him.

Riley was an awful ref back in the day, and he's no better now. Earlier in the season, he claimed a penalty not given in Bournemouth v City was a VAR error, yet he now claims that a penalty given for Brighton v Everton for an identical incident, was also a VAR error. You couldn't make it up.

Actually with English refs, yes you could make it up!!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #659: Nov 25, 2019 10:33:28 pm
      so the quiz was required to show what should have happened.

Wasn’t required at all.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #660: Nov 26, 2019 09:57:57 pm
      Supposedly for the derby next week:

REF: Mike Dean
      VAR: Martin Atkinson
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #661: Dec 04, 2019 11:24:56 am
      VAR is a 'mess' but there is 'no way back', says UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin

"I'm not a fan. I was very sceptical and I can say that I don't like the outcome. Unfortunately, there's no way back anymore"

UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin is not a fan of VAR and has branded the technology as "a mess" that cannot be rectified.

VAR was designed to reduce the number of controversial officiating decisions, yet has received mixed reviews from fans during its introduction in the Premier League this season.

Premier League referees' chief Mike Riley has confirmed there have been nine mistakes made by VAR this season and football lawmakers IFAB are considering whether to make changes to the technology.

"It is a mess," Ceferin told the Daily Mirror. "I don't think the tolerance of one or two centimetres for offside, for example, is enough.

"If you have a long nose, you are in an offside position these days," he said. "Also the lines are drawn by the VARS. So it's a bit subjective drawing of objective criteria.

"We will propose a change to the IFAB. And also for our referees."

Although VAR is used in the Champions League, a UEFA competition, Ceferin insists overturned decisions are kept to a minimum.

"We don't have many interventions in UEFA competitions because our chief refereeing officer, Roberto Rosetti, said to the VAR: It has to be a clear and obvious mistake," he added.

"But nowadays it's a different pressure. If you are the referee on the pitch, even though you have 70,000 or 80,000 people shouting it is you that has to decide - not a person hidden somewhere in London, Berlin or somewhere else.

"I'm not a fan. I was very sceptical and I can say that I don't like the outcome. Unfortunately, there's no way back anymore."

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11877745/var-is-a-mess-but-there-is-no-way-back-says-uefa-president-aleksander-ceferin
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #662: Dec 04, 2019 12:04:35 pm
      Trying to make footballing decisions 100% pure and correct is killing the game for the people who pay good money to go to the ground and celebrate their team scoring goals. Football without passion isn't football and VAR is killing the passion in the ground
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #663: Dec 04, 2019 12:50:32 pm
      The biggest cheer at a game is usually when the final whistle is blown, when your team has got the result you want, and you're free to celebrate as you wish. VAR doesn't affect that.

What ruins football are blatant cheating and/or refereeing errors. They cause resentment, grudges, and/or in extreme cases, disorder in the stands. The last example is why the authorities are still resisting efforts to make the decision making process public, as they do in other sports.

Match tickets don't come cheap, and there is usually a lot at stake when we're involved. So if I pay good money to go, I want to walk out at the end knowing that every major decision was correct, and our fate has not been decided by a refereeing howler that meant we lost the game, as I have in the past. All it takes is one mistake to ruin 12 months (or 2 years at international level) painstaking work.

As in many other sports, we now have a system in place to see that games are decided on merit, not mistakes. Consequently, there are a lot less errors now than before it was introduced.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #664: Dec 04, 2019 04:08:47 pm
      The biggest cheer at a game is usually when the final whistle is blown, when your team has got the result you want, and you're free to celebrate as you wish. VAR doesn't affect that.

What ruins football are blatant cheating and/or refereeing errors. They cause resentment, grudges, and/or in extreme cases, disorder in the stands. The last example is why the authorities are still resisting efforts to make the decision making process public, as they do in other sports.

Match tickets don't come cheap, and there is usually a lot at stake when we're involved. So if I pay good money to go, I want to walk out at the end knowing that every major decision was correct, and our fate has not been decided by a refereeing howler that meant we lost the game, as I have in the past. All it takes is one mistake to ruin 12 months (or 2 years at international level) painstaking work.

As in many other sports, we now have a system in place to see that games are decided on merit, not mistakes. Consequently, there are a lot less errors now than before it was introduced.

complete and utter tosh. Mistakes are still being made even with VAR week in week out. The decisions are still in many cases subjective the two decisions that should be made are offside and ball over the line. If you want every single decision to be perfect go and watch two people playing Chess.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #665: Dec 05, 2019 11:47:10 am
      More tosh from the resident VAR's hole.

No such thing as everything being perfect, VAR would be could as a training tool for referees but it's killing the atmosphere and wonderful spontaneity of the beautiful game and all for a difference that is, in real terms, miniscule and made far worse because, too achieve some of those 'improvements', they changed the laws of the game.

Maybe it needs a time management solution. The VAR assistant gets a minute, if they aren't sure, it's not clear and obvious. And again, whilst we are on time management, would be nice to watch more games with more than 60 minutes of football played during the 90.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #666: Dec 05, 2019 09:02:42 pm
      Andy Carrol goes up for the ball flicks on to Shelvey just on halfway the flag goes up for offside Shelvey carries on UTD stop Shelvey scores VAR shows Carrol not offside. We need to remove the flags from linesmen if this is the case nobody knows what the F**k is going on

Quick Reply