Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233319 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Re: VAR
      Reply #667: Dec 05, 2019 09:38:08 pm
      What pisses me off just then is we at home knew that Luiz was offside there within seconds yet VAR takes another 30 seconds before sorting what was one of the clearest offsides you will see. Just hurry the F**k up!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #668: Dec 14, 2019 02:48:17 pm
      simple solution to offside decisions is if the part of the body that scores the goal is on side it stands. At the moment its killing the game discussing armpits
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #669: Dec 14, 2019 02:53:20 pm
      simple solution to offside decisions is if the part of the body that scores the goal is on side it stands. At the moment its killing the game discussing armpits

Or just have consistency with the rules. If the slightest hair is offside then fine, just make sure there’s consistency with handballs in the box. Attacking team get the slightest of touches with their arm in the opposition box then the goal is rules out, yet if it it’s a defending players arm by accident they let it go.

But common sense really should come into it because is anyone actually gaining an advantage by being 1mm or a heal or an armpit offside? Not a chance.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #670: Dec 14, 2019 03:00:02 pm
      we used to say Refs decisions level out over a season well whats changed its the same with VAR some you get some you don't. Killing the game for the crowd at the ground
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #671: Dec 14, 2019 09:32:09 pm
      Can't wait for the day when the AI in VAR becomes so powerful it overrules and kills it's human operator
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #672: Dec 14, 2019 10:01:06 pm
      Can someone please explain how MO's second goal had to be checked when a Watford player is sat on his arse halfway over the goal line ? I'm F***ing confused and don't get me started with that "armpit offside" for Sadio's goal!!!
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,111 posts | 441 
      Reply #673: Dec 14, 2019 11:32:07 pm
      Can someone please explain how MO's second goal had to be checked when a Watford player is sat on his arse halfway over the goal line ? I'm f**king confused and don't get me started with that "armpit offside" for Sadio's goal!!!

From google:
      "The law states that a player is in an offside position if any of their body parts, except the hands and arms, are in the opponents' half of the pitch, and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent (the last opponent is usually, but not necessarily, the goalkeeper)."

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #674: Dec 15, 2019 08:19:51 am
      From google:
      "The law states that a player is in an offside position if any of their body parts, except the hands and arms, are in the opponents' half of the pitch, and closer to the opponents' goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent (the last opponent is usually, but not necessarily, the goalkeeper)."

But it wasn't, the goalkeeper is ahead of the lad on the line and Sadio was even further over the line. I'm confused still!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #675: Dec 15, 2019 01:55:11 pm
      To be fair watching again on motd last night when Shaqiri strikes the ball to cross and the plsy was slowed down, Mane just looks a little bit in front of the defence. Tough call but understand now after the replay why decision was given.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #676: Dec 15, 2019 03:30:10 pm
      Everton's  goal has to be cancelled VAR is not fit for purpose
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #677: Dec 15, 2019 03:46:35 pm
      To be fair watching again on motd last night when Shaqiri strikes the ball to cross and the plsy was slowed down, Mane just looks a little bit in front of the defence. Tough call but understand now after the replay why decision was given.

I thought that at the time and if you see it live but when you saw the var i thought eh ?
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #678: Dec 18, 2019 03:58:29 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      is anyone actually gaining an advantage by being 1mm or a heal offside?

Yes they are. 1mm can, and sometimes is the difference between putting the ball in the net, and not getting to the ball completely. Under the law, 1mm off counts the same as 10 yards off, it's off. There is no margin for error.

Quote from waltonl4
      we used to say Refs decisions level out over a season well whats changed its the same with VAR some you get some you don't. Killing the game for the crowd at the ground

1. Decisions don't even out over time.
      2. Even if they did, it's still not going to change the result when the decision goes against you. A wrong decision is a wrong decision, and it must be corrected at the time it happens. A minute or two to get the right decision is easier to take, if the alternative is a wrong decision that means you are relegated and not promoted again for the next 10-20 years.

Whatever about league championships, VAR should be used in all major national  cup finals across the globe. One of them was settled in Scotland last week by an offside goal. The stadium concerned has more than adequate facilities to accommodate VAR, and will have to use them next summer at the Euros.

What I found baffling was the views expressed by one EPL coach last week, who should have been grateful that a VAR downgraded a straight red card for one of his players to a yellow. Not him though, he would rather have the red card stand. I simply cannot get my head around why any coach would prefer to have one of his own players suspended for 3 games and all the consequences from it, just to have no VAR in the game. If he was our coach, I wouldn't have enough words to say what I think of him.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #679: Dec 18, 2019 10:55:02 pm
      Still a joke, still not what we need.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #680: Dec 19, 2019 02:17:36 pm
      VAR is football for accountants. Jürgen said he doesn't bother celebrating goals anymore and this is the heart of the matter .Football without passion from the Crowds will die. Fans will not stand for being to be made fools of by some jerk in a bunker playing with lines on a screen. The beautiful game is becoming awfully annoying
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #681: Dec 19, 2019 03:57:29 pm
      OK i have nothing nice to say about this, VAR, i F***ing hate it. I am not a fantasy player guy or a gambler that got goal that could give him huge winnings canceled and hence for he spits on VAR wherever he can, no.

VAR can be so useful when used properly but it is still not clear who makes a call for a VAR check. Make it like in NFL, every coach has right for 1-2 VAR checks per halftime and that is it, that will end the controversy of should the referee call for it or not, did he overlooked it etc. etc.

Secondly i think it is taken too seriously(if that makes any sense). Simply said, offside is a situation where opposing player has spatial advantage over defender closest to the goal and is closer to the goal than said defender, now player can be in offside with any body part taht he can legally score a goal with, not his hands, his hands cant be offside and goals should not be called off for that, and one more thing, that zooming in to see in millimeters is he in offside is utter rubbish, if any of them thinks that that millimeter would give him any decent advantage for me is an idiot.

I hope you guys understood me, that is all i had to say about VAR,
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #682: Dec 19, 2019 10:42:21 pm
      Quote from waltonl4
      VAR is football for accountants. Jürgen said he doesn't bother celebrating goals anymore and this is the heart of the matter .Football without passion from the Crowds will die. Fans will not stand for being to be made fools of by some jerk in a bunker playing with lines on a screen.

They are standing for it. Anfield (and most other stadiums) is Sold Out for every game. Everyone there knows that every goal is subject to review. That is just the way it has to be now.

First thing I said after the Salah goal v Watford, is "it needs to be checked", as it looked borderline. When I say that, I'm told to go and support someone else. When Jürgen says it, I'm sure nobody told him to go somewhere else.

VAR is Fair Play in action. Without it, we would have 4 less points now and City would have at least 2 more than they have atm.

Technology has been used in other sports for years. In those sports, the fans think they have a decision, but they know it may be reviewed. When a decision is reviewed, they don't boo, they don't chant, and they don't call for it to be scrapped when it doesn't go their way. If they can manage it, so can we.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #683: Dec 20, 2019 05:07:40 am
      Can someone please explain how MO's second goal had to be checked when a Watford player is sat on his arse halfway over the goal line ? I'm F***ing confused and don't get me started with that "armpit offside" for Sadio's goal!!!

It was to do with Mo being in front of the goalkeeper meaning 2 outfield players need to play him onside.

Heard people say it was because the bloke was off the pitch so he didnt count as active, but that's not the reason. He counted as 1 of the 2 players. Being behind the goal line doesnt make you inactive.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #684: Dec 20, 2019 08:19:56 am
      First thing I said after the Salah goal v Watford, is "it needs to be checked", as it looked borderline. When I say that, I'm told to go and support someone else. When Jürgen says it, I'm sure nobody told him to go somewhere else.

Depends on your view in the ground or whether you're watching on telly. From my spec in the kop VAR wasn't even needed cos Salah looked onside!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #685: Dec 20, 2019 09:04:03 am
      For the life of me cannot understand why the onfield ref is not allowed to view contentious issue's on that pitch side monitor, 
      If he still isn't sure, or can't make a decision it then goes to the goons at Stockley park, and they can (manipulate)  and move dotted lines/ decide what is the fairest outcome,

More often than not though the onfield ref will come to  the right conclusion after viewing that monitor....

....Or is that just too simple?

YNWA
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #686: Dec 20, 2019 11:44:53 am
      They're aren't standing for it, been several games enlivened with anti-var chants.

A huge difference to being resigned to something sh*t happening than just blindly accepting it.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #687: Dec 20, 2019 11:51:23 am
      I know it's accurate, but it's erroding at the joy that fans and players have in the moment.
      The moment they celebrate a goal together.

Now that moment gets taken away by a decision mid celebration
      or
      The moment is gone because of the "wait and see" nature that has developed as a result of the former.

It might be technically correct, but the decision making process needs to be streamlined urgently.
      You only need to see the Anti Var chants to realise that.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #688: Dec 20, 2019 11:57:52 am
      They are standing for it. Anfield (and most other stadiums) is Sold Out for every game. Everyone there knows that every goal is subject to review. That is just the way it has to be now.

VAR is Fair Play in action. Without it, we would have 4 less points now and City would have at least 2 more than they have atm.

Technology has been used in other sports for years. In those sports, the fans think they have a decision, but they know it may be reviewed. When a decision is reviewed, they don't boo, they don't chant, and they don't call for it to be scrapped when it doesn't go their way. If they can manage it, so can we.

People still attend, I can't imagine it will push people to actively boycott the sport but it's certainly making the experience a lot worse. Me & my mate were sat in the upper Main Stand towards the Anfield Rd end on Saturday so there was no chance of us being able to see whether Salah was onside or not for his second goal. Safe to say the celebrations came with overtones of anxiety when it hit the net as we were both aware that we'd probably have to spend another minute or two waiting for confirmation. When we met up with the rest of our group in the pub after the game they all felt pretty much the same way.

I know what you're saying about fair play but I'm a believer that things even themselves out over time anyway. Other sports might use technology but football isn't any other sport. It's not rugby, tennis or cricket. It's the biggest sport in the world by a country mile and it's achieved that title without massive technological interference. I think that if it ain't broke, you shouldn't try fixing it

« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2019 12:38:16 pm by TameImpala »
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #689: Dec 20, 2019 01:04:29 pm
      I know it's accurate, but it's erroding at the joy that fans and players have in the moment.
      The moment they celebrate a goal together.

Now that moment gets taken away by a decision mid celebration
      or
      The moment is gone because of the "wait and see" nature that has developed as a result of the former.

Brother said something similar after Salah's 2nd goal against Watford, all the joy is being taken out of fans celebrating goals.

Quick Reply