Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233279 times
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Re: VAR
      Reply #736: Dec 30, 2019 03:40:34 pm
      So you obviously have not read Law 14. When you read the laws of the game, then you will know why decisions are made.

Nothing worse than the gobs***e that starts using obey the law type bollox. 
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #737: Dec 30, 2019 10:16:40 pm
      Has anyone else seen this, quite damning, plus, the games are broadcast in UHD 4K, so why is VAR shown from an Atari edition of Football Manager?

https://twitter.com/indysingh94/status/1211346001849671685?s=21
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #738: Dec 31, 2019 05:59:53 am
      So you obviously have not read Law 14. When you read the laws of the game, then you will know why decisions are made.

That's his job, to know the rulebook. I think there should be more use of the monitor, but that's just another box ticking exercise, as it usually means the original decision will be changed.

He never touched the ball, therefore play was not stopped.

I don't watch American sports either, not even MLS where VAR has been used for some time. But I do know that like most sports, the NFL has a safety net, where if the ref doesn't spot something, the correct decision can still be made, albeit in limited circumstances.

Technology has dominated football for many years. It's used in everything from monitoring training routines to disciplinary cases. Now it's finally evolved to the next level, in game action.

Personally I don't care how long it takes, but there were 3 incidents to be checked. 2 handballs and an offside. It takes time. Simon Hooper found no grounds for the original decision on the pitch to be confirmed, and it was over in 2 minutes, not much longer than the average of 90 seconds taken for a single incident.

In cricket, snicko and infrared technology are used to determine if there was a micro touch of a ball with a bat, and if there is, that's it. There's no umpires call for that, he's just overruled if he got it wrong. There's no booing, there's no chanting, the fans just accept it and get on with the rest of the game. Football fans should be able to (and in fairness our fans are good at that) but chanting and shouting is not going to get rid of VAR. It is now absolutely essential in the top tier of football to help keep the cheats out and fair play in.

There were 5 illegal ghost goals overturned at the weekend. If one (or more) of them had counted, and their team stayed up by 1 or 2 points come May, then the teams who went down instead, would be fully entitled to ask, "why wasn't that goal disallowed when it should have been?" amongst a tonne of  other questions.

I don't know if or when the offside law will be changed. If it is VAR will apply it. But that doesn't really solve anything. The law is what it is. You just move the line somewhere else, and people will still debate how offside it is. But the line has to be drawn somewhere, and if the forward is beyond the line, he will still be judged offside.

As long as VAR applies the rules of the game, then it's working. I am in a minority in liking VAR, but I'm ok with that. I have wanted our sport to fall into line with many others for many many years, so I will make no apologies for wanting it, as I would rather have the correct decision there and then, than be upset by the consequences of a wrong decision, days weeks months and yes, years later.

Oh look, just like that IFAB have said VAR is being used incorrectly for offsides.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50944416

So let’s be clear, you’re talking absolute bollocks and the games rule makers agree.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #739: Dec 31, 2019 03:20:30 pm
      Oh look, just like that IFAB have said VAR is being used incorrectly for offsides.

So let’s be clear, you’re talking absolute bollocks and the games rule makers agree.

He (IFAB General Secretary) said the body would reissue guidance on VAR's use after its annual general meeting in February.

"If you spend multiple minutes trying to identify whether it is offside or not, then it's not clear and obvious and the original decision should stand," he said.

He added: "What we really need to stress is that 'clear and obvious' applies to every single situation that is being reviewed by the VAR or the referee.

"In theory, 1mm offside is offside, but if a decision is taken that a player is not offside and the VAR is trying to identify through looking at five, six, seven, 10, 12 cameras whether or not it was offside, then the original decision should stand.

I hope they follow through with this in England (although I don't know why we need to wait until after February). It seems to have been implemented in Germany much more smoothly. Something else I've seen there that I've never seen in England so far is where an incident will happen in the area, nothing is given by the center so play continues for a few seconds and then the center ref blows his whistle (obviously getting communication) and points to the spot (not checking a monitor but just changing the call). And it is understood immediately THAT is the decision. Seems like there is more trust and less ego in the overruling of a decision.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #740: Dec 31, 2019 07:09:34 pm
      Quote from RedWilly

So let’s be clear

Let's be clear. IFAB say lots of things. They keep telling the EPL to use the monitors, which they refuse. Riley says he wants a VAR that suits the EPL, not IFAB.

As it is, offsides are judged on a zero tolerance basis. If someone is offside, then they are offside. If a forward's head is 1mm beyond the line, he has a 1mm advantage over his marker to get to the ball before he does and head the ball into the net. That is wrong, it should not be allowed and it is not being allowed. Same with the feet.

If all of the ball is 1mm over the line, a goal is awarded. It's not clear and obvious, it's black and white. Nobody questions how accurate the technology is, and I don't question how accurate VAR is.

The alternative is what happened in Scotland at the weekend, when a Hand Of Glasgow cheat scored a goal. It would be bad enough in front of 60 people. In front of 60,000, millions watching on tv and a championship on the line, it's outrageous that nothing could possibly be done about it. And god knows how many similar goals are awarded every week.

Keep Cheats Out Of Football. Whatever it takes.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #741: Jan 01, 2020 12:49:06 pm
      Villa just scored a cracking goal but rule out for offside when even with a naked eye it wasn't. The player accused of being offside had his back to goal and his heel has been given offside even though it wasn't . A farce , a joke, inept, killing the game and players hanging around in the cold whilst some pr**k in a dark room plays GOD
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #742: Jan 01, 2020 01:34:28 pm
      See that beauty is still beating his drum my must be great fun on a night out , when every top profesional who ever played is ripping it to shreds , he stands alone as the old saying goes , you can drag a horse to water but you can’t make the fcker drink ,
      It’s ruining the game plain and simple they don’t have the technology to say he’s 1 mill offside unyet that’s what they are doing .
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #743: Jan 01, 2020 05:00:52 pm
      See that beauty is still beating his drum my must be great fun on a night out , when every top profesional who ever played is ripping it to shreds , he stands alone as the old saying goes , you can drag a horse to water but you can’t make the fcker drink ,
      It’s ruining the game plain and simple they don’t have the technology to say he’s 1 mill offside unyet that’s what they are doing .

I still remember his Rafa posts so I take no heed f anything he posts.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #744: Jan 01, 2020 05:03:10 pm

If they want perfection get shut of the lines people fit the players with some sort of receiver and have sensors on the touch line and he lights up like a beacon if he is offside. Joking apart this is where they are going with this sh*t when all we needed was better trained Ref's and assistants.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #745: Jan 01, 2020 07:09:04 pm
      Whatever we're thinking about the system it's absolutely melting City's fans heads. They've gone full tin foil hat mental that it's been brought in to help us win the league!

Lunatics.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #746: Jan 01, 2020 07:17:21 pm
      Whatever we're thinking about the system it's absolutely melting City's fans heads. They've gone full tin foil hat mental that it's been brought in to help us win the league!

Lunatics.

Haha yeah, that’s one thing I’m absolutely loving this season, their delirious full blown conspiracy’s!!
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #747: Jan 01, 2020 10:20:55 pm
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #748: Jan 02, 2020 02:34:38 pm

Lunatics.

Because the people who run football in England just LOVE Liverpool Football Club....Aye.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #749: Jan 02, 2020 04:57:29 pm

Thats a screen shot as no Webb on it  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #750: Jan 02, 2020 06:03:29 pm
      Villa just scored a cracking goal but rule out for offside when even with a naked eye it wasn't. The player accused of being offside had his back to goal and his heel has been given offside even though it wasn't . A farce , a joke, inept, killing the game and players hanging around in the cold whilst some pr**k in a dark room plays GOD

Couldn’t believe that, it must have been literally the heel of his boot. Do you remember up until a few years ago I think, for a good 10 years+ the likes of Adidas were making boots with a big plastic bit on the outside part on the heel of their boots? I never thought the day would come where by having something like that on your boot will now be the difference of a goal standing or not due to offside.

There’s been some ridiculous ones so far but that one against Villa sealed it I think so it’s no wonder there’s now talk of the managers demanding change and the potential of the Premier League having the right to use VAR taken away.

There were always going to be faults with it but its been nothing short of an embarrassment. Did you see Wesley didn’t even bother celebrating his goal until it had been confirmed it was allowed to stand, even though he was clearly onside. That’s what the game has come to.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #751: Jan 02, 2020 06:09:29 pm
      Couldn’t believe that, it must have been literally the heel of his boot. Do you remember up until a few years ago I think, for a good 10 years+ the likes of Adidas were making boots with a big plastic bit on the outside part on the heel of their boots? I never thought the day would come where by having something like that on your boot will now be the difference of a goal standing or not due to offside.

There’s been some ridiculous ones so far but that one against Villa sealed it I think so it’s no wonder there’s now talk of the managers demanding change and the potential of the Premier League having the right to use VAR taken away.

There were always going to be faults with it but ta been nothing short of an embarrassment. Did you see Wesley didn’t even bother celebrating his goal until it had been confirmed it was allowed to stand, even though he was clearly onside. That’s what the game has come to.

it is what happens when you let the lunatics out of the nuthouse. Soulless life sucking FA Types who just cant see the damage they are doing. The Villa goal was a great goal it was criminal to disallow it. Players should score and then sit down in protest until the goal is awarded
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #752: Jan 02, 2020 06:18:25 pm
      Thats a screen shot as no Webb on it  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Webb is the one taking the picture.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #753: Jan 02, 2020 07:57:45 pm
      Webb is the one taking the picture.

:lmao:
      skamp
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 834 posts | 306 
      Reply #754: Jan 03, 2020 01:50:15 pm
      Hated the idea of VAR, hated it since day 1 & hate it now! 

I was at the Wolves game with the 2 big VAR decisions in 5 mins & even though both decisions went in our favour, I still hate it!!  The delay both times was torture for both sets of fans and I genuinely believe that if it carries on in it's current guise, it will cause crowd trouble (if it hasn't already).

Anyway, looking forward to being declared champions later this season (fingers crossed!) with an * to denote this was the 1st season of VAR (a la City & Everton fans).
      Boston not la
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,564 posts | 766 
      Reply #755: Jan 03, 2020 04:58:58 pm
      So the fa are gonna use var in some games in the cup,but not in others?Really are stupid people running the game.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #756: Jan 03, 2020 08:58:41 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z
      I hope they follow through with this in England (although I don't know why we need to wait until after February). It seems to have been implemented in Germany much more smoothly. Something else I've seen there that I've never seen in England so far is where an incident will happen in the area, nothing is given by the center so play continues for a few seconds and then the center ref blows his whistle (obviously getting communication) and points to the spot (not checking a monitor but just changing the call). And it is understood immediately THAT is the decision. Seems like there is more trust and less ego in the overruling of a decision.

When it was introduced in Germany, the fans didn't take it well either. While one famous game saw the ref blow the half time whistle before looking at a VAR incident. He overturned his decision, awarded a penalty, and ordered all the players back out for it to be taken. Now you can say that's crazy, but that was a relegation six pointer and the correct decision was eventually made. There's nothing to stop it happening in the EPL either. Calls can be reviewed even if the ref has already blown for half/full time, in order for justice to be done.

Quote from waltonl4

We had a similar debate here during the WWC, when a Cameroon goal v England was ruled out because a high heel was offside. Most agreed it was the correct decision then, and it's still the correct decision now.

Cracking goals have been ruled out in games since the year dot, for all sorts of reasons. The only difference now is, we know it's the correct decision.

Quote from andylfcynwa
      See when every top profesional who ever played is ripping it to shreds

Of course they are, they realise that all the cheating and the dark arts they used to get away with, is no more. Now if they try it, they get found out in a couple of minutes max, and punished there and then.

Quote from skamp
      Hated the idea of VAR, hated it since day 1 & hate it now! 

I was at the Wolves game with the 2 big VAR decisions in 5 mins & even though both decisions went in our favour, I still hate it!!  The delay both times was torture for both sets of fans and I genuinely believe that if it carries on in it's current guise, it will cause crowd trouble (if it hasn't already).

Anyway, looking forward to being declared champions later this season (fingers crossed!) with an * to denote this was the 1st season of VAR (a la City & Everton fans).

So you hate VAR, yet you still go to games, knowing VAR may be needed.

There's more than enough delays for injuries set pieces and substitutions as it is. If people are at games in another sport, everyone celebrates, then just waits for the officials to use the technology they have available of necessary, and it should be no different at a football game. It's not very difficult to do, it's not torture, the correct decision is essential at the highest level of professional sport. Nothing makes me happier about VAR than when a decision goes in our favour, as it vindicates why I want it. And when they went in our favour against Wolves, most of us celebrated them. Love it or hate it, it's not going away. It's part and parcel of the game now.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #757: Jan 08, 2020 11:54:40 pm
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #758: Jan 10, 2020 10:17:55 pm
      You go the match to see the ball hit the back of the net. You don't go to watch a f**king screen say "goal" or "no goal"

I don't care what other sports do. Cricket is absolutely sh*te. This is football - stop this madness
      « Last Edit: Jan 10, 2020 11:55:24 pm by TameImpala »

Quick Reply