Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233273 times
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,952 posts | 217 
      Re: VAR
      Reply #782: Jan 29, 2020 03:42:55 pm
      Why hasn't everyone got over var yet?

I understand it gives sky sports news, journalists etc minutes to fill, copy to make but for me I'm quite chilled about it. For quite a while now, quite early in the season really, I just got used to the fact that it was going to have teething troubles, it's here to stay and getting worked up about it was pointless.

Just think of it as an elongated offside decision, just a bit more accurate. 😉

X2
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #783: Jan 31, 2020 08:59:06 pm
      Quote from TameImpala
      Do you reckon it's here to stay?

Surely it's possible for Premier League clubs to have another vote on it and bin it off?

No it's not. As Austin called for in his interview last season, referees need help. So you cannot go back to a less accurate form of officiating. It is neither practical nor realistic.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #784: Jan 31, 2020 09:03:36 pm
      Referees didn't need more help, they just needed arseholes to realise that mistakes happen and not expect a human to be perfect. In ground VAR has been atrocious, watching on TV had been appalling and it's destroyed so much of the decent, earnest football conversation on highlight and review shows and podcasts.
      « Last Edit: Jan 31, 2020 09:14:06 pm by Roddenberry »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #785: Feb 01, 2020 11:59:53 am
      The system itself isn’t the problem, the problem is that you’ve got the same idiots in control of it that led to there needing to be changes in the first place.

It’s like putting someone who keeps getting done for grand theft auto in charge of a car garage.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #786: Feb 03, 2020 10:59:40 pm
      From the "We are top of the league" thread....

Quote from Harrisimo
      But Mike Dean was chronic yesterday....Missed the horror tackle by Sterling on Dele Ali, despite being 2 yards away Missed the clear penalty..then failed to see Lloris come off his line to make the save..then gives a Penalty for a Sterling dive..VAR overturned it..then fails to book Sterling and send him off for second yellow..then Books Zinchenko even tho about 7 players did much the same as him, which meant he was sent off for a second yellow later on.

He got just about every important decision wrong. Mike Dean...worst ref performance of the season.

He was at least 20 yards away from the penalty incident at the time, and unable to see it.

He did not award a penalty for a dive. He gave a goal kick. VAR reviewed the penalty claim and rejected it. The goal kick was then taken.

One respected media outlet looking for headlines, called it a game packed with VAR decisions. In reality, there was one decision changed by VAR. There were 3 decisions made by VAR at the weekend, the average number per weekend, all correct, and showing again why it is necessary. In the league so far,

75 wrong decisions (outrages/injustices/diving/cheating) changed. 1/3.3 games

9 Goals awarded
      35 ghost goals disallowed.

12 more penalties awarded than last season.
      4 ghost penalties (outrages/injustices/diving/cheating) cancelled.

3 red cards rescinded i.e 3 players saved from automatic 3 game bans they would serve without VAR in operation.

Mistaken Identity cases: 0.

Average time taken per decision: 91 seconds.

I'm sure the EPL/PGMOL can just roll out them stats when people sing about VAR and can't come up with alternatives.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #787: Feb 04, 2020 05:53:02 am
      From the "We are top of the league" thread....

He was at least 20 yards away from the penalty incident at the time, and unable to see it.

He did not award a penalty for a dive. He gave a goal kick. VAR reviewed the penalty claim and rejected it. The goal kick was then taken.

One respected media outlet looking for headlines, called it a game packed with VAR decisions. In reality, there was one decision changed by VAR. There were 3 decisions made by VAR at the weekend, the average number per weekend, all correct, and showing again why it is necessary. In the league so far,

9 Goals awarded
      35 ghost goals disallowed.

12 more penalties awarded than last season.
      4 ghost penalties (outrages/injustices/diving/cheating) cancelled.

3 red cards rescinded i.e 3 players saved from automatic 3 game bans they would serve without VAR in operation.

Mistaken Identity cases: 0.

Average time taken per decision: 91 seconds.

I'm sure the EPL/PGMOL can just roll out them stats when people sing about VAR and can't come up with alternatives.

Yet F**k all about the Firmino incident

VAR is ruining football - simple as that
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #788: Feb 04, 2020 06:56:41 am

Yet F**k all about the Firmino incident

Yes what's your take on the Firmino incident lfcatw?

Surely you can't defend VAR on that one 🙄
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #789: Feb 04, 2020 02:26:31 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #790: Feb 04, 2020 05:46:06 pm

Yet f**k all about the Firmino incident

you cant celebrate a goal anymore and celebrate the opposition having a goal taken away because of VAR should not be the loudest cheer of the match its killing the atmosphere in the grounds
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #791: Feb 04, 2020 10:59:09 pm
      v Shrewsbury:

Wrong decision against us: Replay.
      Correct decision for us: Next Round.

And the atmosphere when the injustice was put right, was as loud as ever.

Amazing how good football is when the right decisions are made. Fair Play in action and justice done.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #792: Feb 04, 2020 11:02:22 pm
      v Shrewsbury:

Amazing how good football is when the right decisions are made. Fair Play in action and justice done.

my god you are a VAR bore.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #793: Feb 05, 2020 06:49:07 am
      v Shrewsbury:

Still no comment on the Bobby incident?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #794: Feb 05, 2020 10:26:42 am
      VAR should not be the loudest cheer of the match its killing the atmosphere in the grounds

I think the ever increasing ticket prices, pricing out the traditional support have had some impact on the 'atmosphere' inside grounds.

At least VAR gives the opportunity for an extra cheer after each goal - it kind of 'doubles' the atmosphere at most stadiums in this country.

VAR is levelling the playing field.  The sheer number of decisions that have been overridden only goes to prove just how often referees get decisions wrong.  And remember, VAR isn't even checking all the decisions.  Corners, throw ins etc are all still decision that refs get wrong with impunity.

Last night's Shrewsbury 'goal' WAS offside.  VAR didn't decide it was offside - it just was.  If the officials have doubts about offside they let the game run and then VAR corrects the decision.  That's a damn sight better IMO than flagging for offside, incorrectly, and a team perhaps being denied a legal goalscoring opportunity.

I'm a big fan of the team that deserves to win, winning games.  Far too many matches in my lifetime have had their results altered due to bad decisions leading to questions about referee bias etc.  It's no surprise to me that VAR's introduction has coincided with some of the 'big clubs' having such a sh*te season - think a lot of them (and probably us too at periods) have had a lot of 'help' from officials.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #795: Feb 05, 2020 10:31:44 am

That figure seems about what I expected.  1 VAR intervention in every 3.3 games.

I'd say on a standard Premier League weekend there used to be about 3 games tainted by incorrect decisions, offside goals, penalty dives, wrong penalties awarded etc.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #796: Feb 05, 2020 11:58:18 am
      For the life of me I cannot grasp the thinking of ex players, pundits,even supporters who say VAR is of detriment to the game.

It needs fine tuning and some adjustment of course but any opportunity to rectify the decisions of the likes of the clown Atkinson can only be a step in the right direction.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #797: Feb 05, 2020 01:02:44 pm
      For the life of me I cannot grasp the thinking of ex players, pundits,even supporters who say VAR is of detriment to the game.

It needs fine tuning and some adjustment of course but any opportunity to rectify the decisions of the likes of the clown Atkinson can only be a step in the right direction.

nobody will argue that getting the right decision is always preferable but when it takes so long or we are then drawing lines on  a screen  not even sure if the ball has left the players foot its gone too far.  Judging a penalty decision is still subjective Aguero at the weekend seemed soft but you cant see the contact on TV clearly and the Ref in this case had a good view. VAR was supposed to clear up debate its causing more now. Nothing wrong with the technology maybe its the numpties who use it and apply it are the problem
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #798: Feb 05, 2020 03:08:00 pm
      nobody will argue that getting the right decision is always preferable but when it takes so long or we are then drawing lines on  a screen  not even sure if the ball has left the players foot its gone too far.  Judging a penalty decision is still subjective Aguero at the weekend seemed soft but you cant see the contact on TV clearly and the Ref in this case had a good view. VAR was supposed to clear up debate its causing more now. Nothing wrong with the technology maybe its the numpties who use it and apply it are the problem

Exactly the fine tuning referred to.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #799: Feb 05, 2020 03:30:39 pm
      Exactly the fine tuning referred to.

but its the numpties who are over seeing the fine tuning that are the problem . Goal line technology is perfect because its taken the human element out of the decision cant help thinking there is a similar solution for offside out there somewhere
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #800: Feb 05, 2020 07:35:07 pm
      Quote from JD
      At least VAR gives the opportunity for an extra cheer after each goal - it kind of 'doubles' the atmosphere at most stadiums in this country.

VAR is levelling the playing field.  The sheer number of decisions that have been overridden only goes to prove just how often referees get decisions wrong.  And remember, VAR isn't even checking all the decisions.  Corners, throw ins etc are all still decision that refs get wrong with impunity.

Last night's Shrewsbury 'goal' WAS offside.  VAR didn't decide it was offside - it just was.  If the officials have doubts about offside they let the game run and then VAR corrects the decision.  That's a damn sight better IMO than flagging for offside, incorrectly, and a team perhaps being denied a legal goalscoring opportunity.

I'm a big fan of the team that deserves to win, winning games.  Far too many matches in my lifetime have had their results altered due to bad decisions leading to questions about referee bias etc.  It's no surprise to me that VAR's introduction has coincided with some of the 'big clubs' having such a sh*te season - think a lot of them (and probably us too at periods) have had a lot of 'help' from officials.

Things have levelled out, as you can see by the dogfight for European spots and to beat the drop. Every team has now had at least 1 VAR decision in their favour. Wolves are the club with the lowest amount of decisions going their way, while their fans struggle to adapt to the change.

We've got off relatively lightly, but there's no question that VAR has bailed us out at times. We have been on top of the league ever since that handball was spotted at City v Spurs. Since then, everyone else has been playing catch up. Now the lead is 22 points, and at least 10 of them have indirectly resulted from VAR decisions in games, going our way and against City in theirs. Take those 10 points away under the old system, and we would still be biting our nails, probably out of the cup, and talking about never doing things the easy way instead of choosing our preferred game to win the league, and planning our street parties months in advance.

Quote from stuey

We know why. The culture of the game for as long as I've been watching, (and probably long before that) has always been to use the ref as a running punchbag, to harass, intimidate, influence him, and cheat at any and every opportunity. So the referee (the man who is usually the least informed and cannot explain himself) is always the main target for blame for why their team didn't get the result they wanted. They can't do that in the EPL now, the culture of the game has to change, and they can't take it. Well they're going to have to because that's the way it has to be from now on.

Aside from that, English refs cannot referee in Europe or the world stage without using VAR in their own league. We're not the only sport that uses technology. All the others manage to grow up and get on with it. So will we.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #801: Feb 05, 2020 08:23:36 pm
      Things have levelled out, as you can see by the dogfight for European spots and to beat the drop. Every team has now had at least 1 VAR decision in their favour. Wolves are the club with the lowest amount of decisions going their way, while their fans struggle to adapt to the change.

We've got off relatively lightly, but there's no question that VAR has bailed us out at times. We have been on top of the league ever since that handball was spotted at City v Spurs. Since then, everyone else has been playing catch up. Now the lead is 22 points, and at least 10 of them have indirectly resulted from VAR decisions in games, going our way and against City in theirs. Take those 10 points away under the old system, and we would still be biting our nails, probably out of the cup, and talking about never doing things the easy way instead of choosing our preferred game to win the league, and planning our street parties months in advance.

We know why. The culture of the game for as long as I've been watching, (and probably long before that) has always been to use the ref as a running punchbag, to harass, intimidate, influence him, and cheat at any and every opportunity. So the referee (the man who is usually the least informed and cannot explain himself) is always the main target for blame for why their team didn't get the result they wanted. They can't do that in the EPL now, the culture of the game has to change, and they can't take it. Well they're going to have to because that's the way it has to be from now on.

Aside from that, English refs cannot referee in Europe or the world stage without using VAR in their own league. We're not the only sport that uses technology. All the others manage to grow up and get on with it. So will we.

So about this Firmino challenge ?

Have you been to a match when VAR is in “action”
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #802: Feb 06, 2020 04:53:35 am
      sms1986
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,182 posts | 453 
      Reply #803: Feb 06, 2020 10:41:53 am
      -2 net goals, but it doesn't seem to be having much of an effect. Same for Leicester and City, too, whilst the ones in green are at best seventh. The two with the biggest loss are both above the teams with the biggest gains.

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #804: Feb 06, 2020 11:07:33 am
      No VAR at the Spurs game? Was Son Heung-Min informed of this?

Quick Reply