Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233321 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: VAR
      Reply #828: Feb 22, 2020 06:45:32 pm
      Reasoning for Lo Celso staying on the pitch? “Human error”

VAR has been nothing short of an embarrassment once again. How was a penalty not given for the ball hitting KDB’s hands, up by his face but Bournemouth got royally done over for the ball hitting a shoulder. Yet they deem a shoulder at offside in other scenarios.

Joke.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #829: Feb 23, 2020 12:57:13 pm
      Quote from TameImpala
      You keep mentioning "cheats" - to me, and most people, a cheat is somebody who tries to gain an advantage by intentionally breaking the rules. The vast majority of VAR decisions don't involve cheats. Somebody who's shoulder is offside by a matter of centimeters isn't a cheat, unless he's Neo off the Matrix, he's got no idea whether he's offisde or onside, neither does the naked eye of the linesman and neither do VAR officials without spending 2 or 3 minutes drawing lines onto a monitor.

An offside call that is wrong, be it marginal or 5 yards either side of the line, is a mistake by the ref. Therefore the original error must be corrected.

We've all seen penalties given for diving, and goals given for deliberate (not accidental) handball in the past. We've also seen it this season in other leagues. That is cheating and cheating ruins football.

It was argued on our tv channel this week, that without VAR, it doesn't matter if 1 or 2 errors are let go. Well we fell short by 1 point last season partly because of those "1 or 2 errors", and I'm still angry about them, as imo they had a significant impact on the title race. The Wolves game this year saw the benefits of VAR, as without it, both decisions would have gone against us, and I would be fuming about them for the rest of the season.

Quote from andylfcynwa
      Hope Wengers plan gets passed , cut all this toe nail arm pit sh*t out ,

It won't. The lines will still be drawn, there will still be the same delays. You might see a few more goals than atm, but VAR is not there to give goals, it's there to make sure game changing decisions made, are in accordance with the laws of the game.

Tbh, once you have a zero tolerance policy, I don't think you can deviate from that. You can't have zero tolerance and allowances. It has to be one or the other.

Quote from waltonl4
      Spurs V Chelsea ...nasty challenge by Spurs player stamping on a player on the ground VAR reviewed it didn't even give a yellow...half an hour later they apologise and said it should have been a RED card. you couldn't make this stuff up.

Like most people, you complain about VAR when they make decisions, then you complain when they don't make decisions.

VAR cannot issue yellow cards, only the refs on the pitch can. That incident is a red card, and if the ref was able to see the incident on the monitor, he would decide it in about 10 seconds. The decision by the VAR is no surprise, as it was the same VAR who thought the tackle on Origi at the toilet was not a foul. But Riley needs to go, as it's ultimately his decision why refs can't go to the monitors, and it's his VAR's that have to take the stick for errors instead.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #830: Feb 23, 2020 01:02:05 pm
      I'd say that VAR does have a problem with these 'red card' issues.

I think these are the golden examples of where the referee should be going to a pitchside monitor and being responsible for that decision.

Unlike offsides, that's not black and white and it should be the on pitch referee who has the final decision IMO.  Yesterday, VAR should have asked the ref to have another look.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #831: Feb 23, 2020 04:47:23 pm
      Absolutely no excuse for VAR not to be telling Oliver to go and look at that tackle yesterday. Complete mess.

Leicester not getting a pen for an identical handball to one that got City a pen was absolutely bizarre as well.

My opinion on VAR remains the same - I do think we need it in some form in the game (the standard of refereeing is simply too poor) but a hell of a lot of work needs to be done still to get it to an acceptable level.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,318 posts | 1611 
      Reply #832: Feb 23, 2020 05:42:52 pm
      An offside call that is wrong, be it marginal or 5 yards either side of the line, is a mistake by the ref. Therefore the original error must be corrected.

We've all seen penalties given for diving, and goals given for deliberate (not accidental) handball in the past. We've also seen it this season in other leagues. That is cheating and cheating ruins football.

It was argued on our tv channel this week, that without VAR, it doesn't matter if 1 or 2 errors are let go. Well we fell short by 1 point last season partly because of those "1 or 2 errors", and I'm still angry about them, as imo they had a significant impact on the title race. The Wolves game this year saw the benefits of VAR, as without it, both decisions would have gone against us, and I would be fuming about them for the rest of the season.

It won't. The lines will still be drawn, there will still be the same delays. You might see a few more goals than atm, but VAR is not there to give goals, it's there to make sure game changing decisions made, are in accordance with the laws of the game.

Tbh, once you have a zero tolerance policy, I don't think you can deviate from that. You can't have zero tolerance and allowances. It has to be one or the other.

Like most people, you complain about VAR when they make decisions, then you complain when they don't make decisions.

VAR cannot issue yellow cards, only the refs on the pitch can. That incident is a red card, and if the ref was able to see the incident on the monitor, he would decide it in about 10 seconds. The decision by the VAR is no surprise, as it was the same VAR who thought the tackle on Origi at the toilet was not a foul. But Riley needs to go, as it's ultimately his decision why refs can't go to the monitors, and it's his VAR's that have to take the stick for errors instead.
      Of course it will cut the crap out because there will have to be clear daylight to be offside and you shouldn’t be getting toe nail decisions,
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #833: Feb 23, 2020 07:45:00 pm

your like a F***ing broken record.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #834: Feb 25, 2020 12:44:55 pm
      https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/feb/25/david-squires-on-you-are-the-var

Comedy Gold on VAR.

The bit about Man City and FFP at the end is alone worth the click. Enjoy!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #835: Feb 25, 2020 02:35:11 pm
      fu**ed up massively the Tottenham game that challenge from celso was a leg breaker and he should of been sent off by the ref, but VAR is there and they decide - no red card? Whoever was warching the game doesn't have a clue, even though dopey keeps defending it, it's been a F***ing joke so far in the league.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #836: Feb 29, 2020 08:59:12 am
      Quote from waltonl4
      your like a broken record.

Records were smashed all over the place last week, by those who want mistakes to be made and cheats to win, because one decision was wrong, of the 7-8 that needed to be made.

Riley got a few lessons on how to operate VAR during the week across Europe. Once it's used the way it's designed to be used, his and his refs job can be made so much easier.
      TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #837: Feb 29, 2020 09:19:30 am

Of course diving is cheating but being marginally offside isn't, clipping somebody by a whisker when you intend to play the ball isn't, having the ball slightly ricochet off your arm isn't. You're making out as if VAR is a moral crusade against the evils of football when it isn't, majority of VAR decisions we've seen have been for borderline infringements where the player had absolutely no intention of breaking the rules. That doesn't make them a cheat. Even diving, a lot of the time it's impossible to know if a player has intentionally dived, or even if the contact is enough to warrant a penalty due to the momentum and speed the game is played at. It's subjective opinions being overruled by more subjective opinions 
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #838: Feb 29, 2020 11:24:52 am
      You could end all this daylight bollocks by removing the 'any part of the body that can score' rule. Just have it based on feet only and if it's too close to call then advantage is given to the attacking player.

The end.

Peter Crouch would argue that's not fair to him and his size 14's. DO we even have linesmen any more whats the point. Last night there was an obvious offside and it was played on and eventually called back for offside and they must have wasted 30 or 40 seconds of play . The problem is the same idiots who designed this are now trying to sort it out its like the lunatics running the asylum . The handball rule is another rule that last night ruled out a perfectly good goal. They fu**ed it up but will not admit it and now will tinker with it until the mess itup even further
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #839: Mar 01, 2020 04:06:31 pm
      Thought they got it right at the end of the Everton-United game today, but what I don't get is how the match referee doesn't rule it out in the first place. Richarlison is lying there directly in front of De Gea...why does he need a video replay to make the decision?

TameImpala
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,269 posts | 1216 
      • He's five foot seven, he's football heaven
      Reply #840: Mar 01, 2020 05:00:10 pm
      Thought they got it right at the end of the Everton-United game today, but what I don't get is how the match referee doesn't rule it out in the first place. Richarlison is lying there directly in front of De Gea...why does he need a video replay to make the decision?

Thought it should have stood myself. Pretty sure it would have went in regardless of Richarlison as it seemed to be the deflection off Maguire which put De Gea off

Another lucky VAR decision for United, doing my head in this whole 'LiVARpool' narrative when they seem to have directly benefitted from it much more than anybody else this season. Just so happens that they're sh*te so nobody really takes notice
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #841: Mar 01, 2020 08:16:52 pm
      Thought it should have stood myself. Pretty sure it would have went in regardless of Richarlison as it seemed to be the deflection off Maguire which put De Gea off

Another lucky VAR decision for United, doing my head in this whole 'LiVARpool' narrative when they seem to have directly benefitted from it much more than anybody else this season. Just so happens that they're sh*te so nobody really takes notice

Since it is a total judgment call as to whether he is "in the play" or whatever they call it, do they really need VAR in that instance? I understand if jt is a bang-bang offside or handball, but this was all right in front of the center ref. Whatever call we favor, seems like it should have been the match ref's .
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #842: Mar 01, 2020 08:59:12 pm
      Quote from Robby The Z

If a player receives a ball from an opponent, he's not offside. So why is he offside if an opponent scores an own goal?
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #843: Mar 02, 2020 03:59:18 am
      If a player receives a ball from an opponent, he's not offside. So why is he offside if an opponent scores an own goal?

Doesn't the opponent have to intentionally played the ball for it to negate the offside?

Wasn't in this case the player offside because he was interfering with an opponent (one of the three triggers for offside becoming an offense)?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #844: Mar 02, 2020 03:20:20 pm
      I think Ancelotti was right when he said it ended up being a subjective rather than objective decision.

If that's the case then should have stuck with the onfield call and called it a goal IMO.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #845: Mar 02, 2020 06:50:42 pm
      There's no question the keeper's vision was affected. The question is, why is it offside if one of his own players put the ball in? If the opponent received the ball from the manc and scored instead, surely he would not be offside.

If you go back to the goal scored by South Korea v Germany in the WC, the Korean was flagged offside, even though the German was the last player to touch it beforehand. VAR gave the goal and the Germans were out of the WC.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #846: Mar 02, 2020 10:13:38 pm
      how the F**k is Degea's vision blocked he was diving away from the player on the ground and at 6ft 2" he could see enough to dive the way the ball initially went before it was deflected.
      Lallana in Pyjamas
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,479 posts | 3285 
      Reply #847: Mar 07, 2020 08:21:35 pm
      Where is MR VAR to defend that sh*te today
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #848: Mar 07, 2020 09:30:33 pm
      More shocking decisions today. But how do they get away with it? The “clear and obvious error” bollocks.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #849: Mar 07, 2020 10:12:38 pm
      Where is MR VAR to defend that sh*te today

the Cat is out the bag it is still down to human interpretation so what is the point especially when you have cu*ts like Oliver involved
      Kopite78
      Reply #850: Mar 07, 2020 10:47:58 pm
      the Cat is out the bag it is still down to human interpretation so what is the point especially when you have cu*ts like Oliver involved

I personally actually think Micheal Oliver is about the best in the league but how none of them saw that as a foul on Gomez I'll never F***ing know

Quick Reply