Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233683 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: VAR
      Reply #851: Mar 07, 2020 10:49:49 pm

I personally actually think Micheal Oliver is about the best in the league but how none of them saw that as a foul on Gomez I'll never f**king know

It’s because that clown Tierney had said to them he didn’t think it was a foul and it was then deemed as not “clear and obvious” he had made a mistake.

Load of bollocks with a get out of jail card for one of the worst refs going.
      Kopite78
      Reply #852: Mar 07, 2020 10:51:31 pm
      It’s because that clown Tierney had said to them he didn’t think it was a foul and it was them deemed as not “clear and obvious” he had made a mistake.

Load of bollocks with a get out of jail card for one of the worst refs going.

I dont care if he said he didn't think it was a foul or not..
      Re watch it and not to say sorry but you missed a clear push and it's an error is F***ing mental

If that's not a foul I dont understand
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #853: Mar 07, 2020 10:54:17 pm
      I dont care if he said he didn't think it was a foul or not..
      Re watch it and not to say sorry but you missed a clear push and it's an error is f**king mental

If that's not a foul I dont understand

Mistake is a mistake whether it’s clear and obvious or not. They will rule goals out as offside by a distance of 1mm but give plenty of room for error for the refs. Complete sham full of inconsistent morons. At the end of the day, it’s still the same incompetent idiots making the decisions. It’s not the technology, it’s the ones using it.

They should have it so you can hear what’s being said. It would be interesting to see how they try and cover the refs backs at times.

Think I read earlier as well that VAR hasn’t overturned any decision within the first 15mins of a game. Whether that’s true or not I don’t know.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #854: Mar 08, 2020 11:59:55 pm
      Quote from Kopite78
      I personally actually think Micheal Oliver is about the best in the league but how none of them saw that as a foul on Gomez I'll never F***ing know

From some angles, it looks a clear foul. From others, I can see why it wasn't given. The ref can't give a goal and a free kick. But if Joe went down, I think the free kick would be given.

If it means anything, all the pundits on LFCTV thought the challenge was fair. I would have thought, expected, them to pop a gasket, but they basically said Joe needed to be "stronger", whatever that means.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #855: Jul 31, 2020 10:51:33 pm
      Many of us didn't quite make it to Anfield this season. I suppose this was a flavour of what we missed out on.

https://youtu.be/rbaV7mXyG0o

VAR has been a wonderful tool this season when it's used as it should be, to sort out what is right in the league from what is wrong, but while those of us outside the ground know what's going on, communication in the ground surely has to be better than this.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #856: Aug 02, 2020 12:12:33 pm
      Many of us didn't quite make it to Anfield this season. I suppose this was a flavour of what we missed out on.

https://youtu.be/rbaV7mXyG0o

VAR has been a wonderful tool this season when it's used as it should be, to sort out what is right in the league from what is wrong, but while those of us outside the ground know what's going on, communication in the ground surely has to be better than this.

It's sh*t and been a F***ing joke in the prem, hence FIFA taking it over from IFAB.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #857: Aug 05, 2020 10:59:07 pm
      I don't know what if any, effect the takeover will have.

For the benefit of those in the stadium, VAR Check Complete should be displayed on the screens after every penalty appeal/award or goal given, so that they all know that the original decision on the field has been reviewed and will stand. It's not very difficult to implement, and it's much better than have fans staring at a referee's ear or looking for a whistle to blow, for up to several minutes at a time.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #858: Sep 19, 2020 07:09:04 pm
      VAR back to it's ugly ways  :f_doh:
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #859: Sep 19, 2020 07:14:19 pm

Because it's against you and with the background of how many penalties you got last years it's funny.
      But I hate to think how many penalties are going to be given and retaken under these new rules
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #860: Sep 19, 2020 07:23:19 pm
      Because it's against you and with the background of how many penalties you got last years it's funny.
      But I hate to think how many penalties are going to be given and retaken under these new rules

Far from it, many of us constantly knock VAR but the new rule (( as you've just seen )) just going to make things worse. Never a penalty unless your wearing rose tinted glasses or the wrong match.

Tha majority of penalties all justified last year. Think the only one that wasn't was Bruno's
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #861: Sep 19, 2020 07:27:36 pm
      Far from it, many of us constantly knock VAR but the new rule (( as you've just seen )) just going to make things worse. Never a penalty unless your wearing rose tinted glasses or the wrong match.

Tha majority of penalties all justified last year. Think the only one that wasn't was Bruno's

What is the new rule?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #862: Sep 19, 2020 08:24:34 pm

I honestly thought it was a pen, the way his arm comes up from his side and it could be deemed to have changed the direction of the ball.

The retake decision was worse imo!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #863: Sep 19, 2020 08:33:59 pm
      I honestly thought it was a pen, the way his arm comes up from his side and it could be deemed to have changed the direction of the ball.

The retake decision was worse imo!

Not a chance that was just a natural movement in running for the ball. Wait till it happens to Liverpool as it will. Only difference is what result VAR give?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #864: Sep 19, 2020 08:40:03 pm
      Not a chance that was just a natural movement in running for the ball. Wait till it happens to Liverpool as it will. Only difference is what result VAR give?

Have you seen the Arsenal just then? Even worse and what pisses me off about refs interpretations of the rules. I'd give them standard, even if it was against us.

I get what you're saying as well, contentious one but if they're gonna go down that route of handball can't pick and choose  because of running styles etc.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #865: Sep 19, 2020 08:47:55 pm
      Have you seen the Arsenal just then? Even worse and what pisses me off about refs interpretations of the rules. I'd give them standard, even if it was against us.

I get what you're saying as well, contentious one but if they're gonna go down that route of handball can't pick and choose  because of running styles etc.

I did yes and that's what's all wrong about it. VAR just don't have any consistency and you can say why fans across the globe will get frustrated with it all.

Even one of my favourite pundits ( Souness ) said 100% no,penalty
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #866: Sep 20, 2020 12:04:00 am
      VAR doing what it's supposed to do. Enforce the rules of the game on the spot. By the current rules, it's handball in the manc game and it was spotted.

As for the penalty itself, the keepers are reminded not to move off the line by the ref  before a penalty is taken. If they move, and the kick is missed, then they have no case. A camera can't be conned.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #867: Sep 20, 2020 11:27:34 am
      I did yes and that's what's all wrong about it. VAR just don't have any consistency and you can say why fans across the globe will get frustrated with it all.

Even one of my favourite pundits ( Souness ) said 100% no,penalty

It was a bit harsh tbh, thing is the Refs are not allowed to have/use common sense anymore not for a long time now, we all know incidents in football tend to balance themselves out, VAR is fine, what fucks it up is the inconsistency of those using it, those at Stockley Park have probably never kicked a ball in anger, like referees they don’t actually know the game, to them it’s all about the rules,

If common sense was still at the refs discretion there would be no pen last night, yes it hit his hand but not intentionally, he didn’t swat it Thierry Henry style, this is where the game itself is getting ruined, it’s not a computer game, it’s eleven human beings against another eleven human beings with three other human beings attempting to keep order,

Technology isn’t all that, because technical devices are not human, they are fine for goal line technology etc, but it’s sh*te for natural human reflexes, again there is nothing wrong with VAR, but have a ex professional player, & ex- referee in that wee box at Stockley Park and the inconsistency will stop !
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #868: Sep 20, 2020 01:51:06 pm
      Another so called handball at Spurs   :f_doh: :f_doh: :f_doh:
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #869: Sep 20, 2020 05:19:51 pm
      F**k me VAR got one right  :lmao: :lmao: 100% red card.
      AlwaysTheKop
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,208 posts | 1418 
      • CHAMP19NS.
      Reply #870: Sep 21, 2020 02:03:14 pm
      The thing with VAR is, it’s no different than what we had beforehand, stonewall incidents not being given and some being given, except now we have to wait around a few minutes for them to make the decision... ruining the flow.

Don’t get me wrong, it can be good, as we saw yesterday... but it also, and more often than not, it can be very bad...

Until it’s consistent and EVERY decision is correct, and the refs have less of a input into it, it’s sh*t.

There needs to be an independent body behind VAR, not refs, who can overturn a refs decision if needed and are held accountable for that decision and must explain that decision in the open afterwards, it needs to be there to assist the ref, not for the refs to use.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #871: Sep 21, 2020 07:39:29 pm
      Quote from AlwaysTheKop
      The thing with VAR is, it’s no different than what we had beforehand, stonewall incidents not being given and some being given, except now we have to wait around a few minutes for them to make the decision... ruining the flow.

Don’t get me wrong, it can be good, as we saw yesterday... but it also, and more often than not, it can be very bad...

Until it’s consistent and EVERY decision is correct, and the refs have less of a input into it, it’s sh*t.

There needs to be an independent body behind VAR, not refs, who can overturn a refs decision if needed and are held accountable for that decision and must explain that decision in the open afterwards, it needs to be there to assist the ref, not for the refs to use.

The R stands for Referee. Without referees, games can't be played.

There have been 9 VAR decisions to date, all of them correct as per the rules of the game. People were crying about defenders getting away with handball last year. This year they're not, and people are still crying. They wanted the rules to be the same as in Europe, well now they are.  They said that last year that VAR didn't want to change decisions on the pitch to back up his colleague, well now they are changing decisions, and spotting things that refs on the pitch can't.

Quote from billythered
      It was a bit harsh tbh, thing is the Refs are not allowed to have/use common sense anymore not for a long time now, we all know incidents in football tend to balance themselves out, VAR is fine, what fucks it up is the inconsistency of those using it, those at Stockley Park have probably never kicked a ball in anger, like referees they don’t actually know the game, to them it’s all about the rules,

If common sense was still at the refs discretion there would be no pen last night, yes it hit his hand but not intentionally, he didn’t swat it Thierry Henry style, this is where the game itself is getting ruined, it’s not a computer game, it’s eleven human beings against another eleven human beings with three other human beings attempting to keep order,

Technology isn’t all that, because technical devices are not human, they are fine for goal line technology etc, but it’s sh*te for natural human reflexes, again there is nothing wrong with VAR, but have a ex professional player, & ex- referee in that wee box at Stockley Park and the inconsistency will stop !

It would make no difference. If anything, it would take longer to make a decision than it does atm. But the rules of the game still have to be applied.

You handle the ball in this sport at any time, and you run the risk of a decision been made. FIFA declare the incident you speak of to be a handball. You can argue whether it's common sense if you want, but they are the rules. Ditto for the keeper on the line. The first one to walk off his line and save a penalty was caught at the weekend, and there will be more.

As for things balancing themselves out, I don't believe it. The amount of penalty appeals we've had turned down over there will never balance themselves out, but even if they did, that is not much use to us at the time. It could balance out when we're 4-0 up and don't really need a decision to go our way, rather than when we really need the correct decision to be made there and then.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #872: Sep 21, 2020 09:14:13 pm
      What I don't get is the penalty decision at the United game, then the opposite decision at Arsenal with a more blatant penalty not given, thought VAR was to take out the mistakes
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,663 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #873: Sep 22, 2020 09:24:12 am
      What I don't get is the penalty decision at the United game, then the opposite decision at Arsenal with a more blatant penalty not given, thought VAR was to take out the mistakes

That's what we all thought, obvious not the case presently  :f_doh:

Quick Reply