Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Fans vote for or against VAR

VAR

Read 233377 times
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Re: VAR
      Reply #966: Nov 09, 2020 09:21:55 am
      99% of the time if the ref goes to the monitor he will take the hint and go with the new decision. Him going to the monitor is purely to sell the decision change to fans in the stadium and players on the pitch.

Is it though? My thinking is because VAR make so many mistakes they put the onus back on the ref. That way the ref gets the blame and not VAR.  >:D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #967: Nov 09, 2020 08:58:26 pm
      Quote from AussieRed
      I thought they were pretty  similiar in actual play, I wouldn't have given either. Joe is trying to tuck his arm in as he's in a running motion, how is that a F***ing penalty?

There was no similarity. We've seen penalties such as Gomez given before, even without VAR. The distance was considerable. I knew it would be given once the ref went to the monitor. It was the first VAR penalty against us after the monitor was used, given by the same ref who gave us our only penalty to date, after using the monitor against West Brom. Even with red glasses on, you couldn't really give a penalty in the other case.

It doesn't really matter if players appeal for penalties nowadays or not. VAR will look at it anyway. It's different from the human error days when Coutinho was hacked down by a manc cheat in the box, in front of the Kop in 2017. There was no appeal and no penalty, and he was told that if he won't appeal for it, he won't get it.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #968: Nov 10, 2020 10:09:12 pm
      There was no similarity. We've seen penalties such as Gomez given before, even without VAR. The distance was considerable. I knew it would be given once the ref went to the monitor. It was the first VAR penalty against us after the monitor was used, given by the same ref who gave us our only penalty to date, after using the monitor against West Brom. Even with red glasses on, you couldn't really give a penalty in the other case.

It doesn't really matter if players appeal for penalties nowadays or not. VAR will look at it anyway. It's different from the human error days when Coutinho was hacked down by a manc cheat in the box, in front of the Kop in 2017. There was no appeal and no penalty, and he was told that if he won't appeal for it, he won't get it.

The only thing I agree with you in that, is that there should be no penalty in either case!
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #969: Nov 10, 2020 10:12:14 pm

The only thing I agree with you in that, is that there should be no penalty in either case!

That's a first.  :f_whistle:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,971 posts | 2051 
      Reply #970: Nov 10, 2020 10:34:32 pm
      My position on VAR still stands...rigidly. It's a great idea and in an era of technology like we have today, there's no excuse not to use it.

However I feel the arguments against VAR is too centred on the technology itself when in actual fact it should be directed at the very individuals who are operating it. From what I saw, VAR at the 2018 World Cup in Russia was an immense success. Swift, clear and remarkably consistent for it's first run out in a major tournament. And when I watch European matches midweek, I see a similar standard to the extent that I often forget it's in use in the Champions and Europa Leagues.

But, predictably, it's been something of a shambles in England. Why? English referees. Simple as. The standard of officiating in this country is absolutely appalling and those referees have taken their relative incompetence on the field and into the VAR booth (or whatever it is). David Coote's "display" behind the screen during the Merseyside Derby was farcical as we all know. Like a dog flying an airplane - shambolic. Blaming the technology when I've seen it used effectively elsewhere quite simply let's these officials off the hook. In most other places, it reduces the error of referees. But only in England does it amplify those mistakes.

I don't mean for this post to be a witch hunt and 'burn em at the stakes' kind of pile on for English referees. But for me, it's an honest opinion. Before blaming the technology, first check who's operating the device. If a plane crashes because a dog was discovered to be flying it, you wouldn't expect the Air Accidents Investigation Branch to put it down to a technical fault and blame the technology would you?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #971: Nov 10, 2020 10:46:27 pm

Yeah I normally don't agree with people who I am suspect of.  ;)
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #972: Nov 10, 2020 11:21:31 pm
      I find VAR seemingly spoils the game for the fans, on the whole. decisions by referees wrongly or rightly tend to even themselves out, over the season. This is only my view, technology has spoilt the game, and certainly needs to be reviewed.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,833 posts | 701 
      Reply #973: Nov 13, 2020 08:20:02 am
      Quote from Frankly, Mr Shankly
      My position on VAR still stands...rigidly. It's a great idea and in an era of technology like we have today, there's no excuse not to use it.

However I feel the arguments against VAR is too centred on the technology itself when in actual fact it should be directed at the very individuals who are operating it. From what I saw, VAR at the 2018 World Cup in Russia was an immense success. Swift, clear and remarkably consistent for it's first run out in a major tournament. And when I watch European matches midweek, I see a similar standard to the extent that I often forget it's in use in the Champions and Europa Leagues.

But, predictably, it's been something of a shambles in England. Why? English referees. Simple as.

Not quite. If they apply the laws as set out, they are told to use common sense. If they don't apply them, they're called various forms of useless.

There were numerous disputed calls during the WC, usually but not solely to do with handball incidents. But it was the cleanest WC in decades, with no diving allowed, shirt pulling spotted, and wild tackles punished. The current complaint is that too many penalties are given, and offside is ridiculous. They're given because they're supposed to be given. Handball does not have to be deliberate to be a penalty these days. Last weekend, Gomez was 8 yards from the ball when it was struck. If it was the other way around, we would all be demanding a penalty for it. Therefore I can't really argue that the decision that resulted from it was wrong. Offside is not ridiculous, offside is offside. Of course it looks harsh when lines are drawn to players elbows and backsides, but the rule is the rule, and it is enforced on a zero tolerance basis.

Unfortunately there is no VAR in the group stage of the UEFA Cup. I say unfortunately as it confirms it's current status as a second rate competition, where cheating is allowed and wrong decisions are widespread.

Quote from AlwaysTheKop
      He’s gonna read that and do a dastardly snigger to himself that he’s got a known persona on the forum.

A what? The only time I could snigger was when Platini was caught, knowing that the stubborn resistance to technology in our sport disappeared with him. The new FIFA President was not going to waste any more time in getting video technology into football and 2 years later, VAR was at the WC.

Back at the Euros in 2012, John Terry was able to go over the goaline and clear the ball away, eliminating the hosts and keeping Hodgson there a bit longer. Collina turned up the next day to try and defend the indefensible, defiantly explaining why there was no technology in the game. Now there is and he reminds us of the benefits of it at every opportunity.

Watch the Nations League this week sans VAR, and see all the penalties/goals given that shouldn't and vice versa, deciding who gets promoted and relegated, WC playoff spots and have another turn in 2 years time. If people do that, then they'll be grateful we have VAR in our league.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #974: Nov 15, 2020 04:10:19 pm
      Watch the Nations League this week sans VAR, and see all the penalties/goals given that shouldn't and vice versa, deciding who gets promoted and relegated, WC playoff spots and have another turn in 2 years time. If people do that, then they'll be grateful we have VAR in our league.

Wrong battle. The simple comparison should of been Nations League with Champions League as to how VAR should be applied, unlike the F***ing mess that exists in the Premier League, so no still not grareful that we have it in OUR league because it's still being applied wrongly by F***ing idiots.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #975: Nov 21, 2020 04:57:30 pm
      Wow! Under the new rules why isn't that a penalty for Villa.  :f_doh:
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #976: Nov 21, 2020 04:59:26 pm

Ball came off the Brighton player no?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,018 posts | 2741 
      Reply #977: Nov 21, 2020 05:02:58 pm

March got a flick on the ball first, then did his best to move his leg away whilst Trezeguet just threw himself to the floor.

Not a pen for me and one of the rare times VAR has worked.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #978: Nov 21, 2020 05:03:17 pm
      Ball came off the Brighton player no?

Yes but that's irrelevant isn't it? They have given penalties for the opposition even if you hit the ball first because of your follow through.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #979: Nov 21, 2020 05:05:20 pm
      March got a flick on the ball first, then did his best to move his leg away whilst Trezeguet just threw himself to the floor.

Not a pen for me and one of the rare times VAR has worked.

I do agree it wasn't a penalty in my book but the rules just have me F***ing baffled because I've seen them given purely based on the follow through.  :f_doh:
      Kopite78
      Reply #980: Nov 21, 2020 08:11:32 pm
      Just watching the MLS play off penalty shoot out

If anyone thinks they have VAR right abroad they're kidding themselves

Edit

:laugh: this is a farce, stick to rounders lads
      « Last Edit: Nov 21, 2020 08:21:30 pm by Kopite78 »
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #981: Nov 21, 2020 08:49:55 pm
      Yes but that's irrelevant isn't it? They have given penalties for the opposition even if you hit the ball first because of your follow through.

Barely any follow through though, the Villa players theatrics just made it look like there was.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #982: Nov 21, 2020 09:09:45 pm
      VAR strikes again.

Or should that be shitty refs that can't use it because they are pathetic at their jobs.
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #983: Nov 21, 2020 09:10:04 pm
      ITS OFFICIAL, I GIVE UP

I no longer know what is a penalty and what isn't  :f_doh:
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #984: Nov 21, 2020 09:12:29 pm
      Haha ref denies West Brom a clear pen then gives Mancs the softest pen you will see 2 mins later.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #985: Nov 21, 2020 09:15:09 pm
      What in the actual f**k is going on?????
      Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #986: Nov 21, 2020 09:17:50 pm
      Haha ref denies West Brom a clear pen then gives Mancs the softest pen you will see 2 mins later.

They both looked a clear penalty to me.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,743 posts | 2436 
      Reply #987: Nov 21, 2020 09:22:35 pm
      They both looked a clear penalty to me.

It was a pen based on the handball rule but still as soft as you'll see.

Keith Singleton
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 16,662 posts | 2656 
      • Sir Lewis Hamilton
      Reply #988: Nov 21, 2020 09:28:55 pm
      It was a pen based on the handball rule but still as soft as you'll see.

Oh totally

Quick Reply