Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Newcastle?

Loris Karius
      20 (20.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      18 (18.4%)
      Emre Can
      2 (2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      41 (41.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      8 (8.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (6.1%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Voting closed: Mar 07, 2018 07:21:05 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Newcastle United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 22025 times
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Newcastle United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #276: Mar 04, 2018 12:30:22 am
      Well done to our REDS,a deserved 3 points.I thought Henderson had his best game for quite a while.but I gave the OX my m.o.m.He is turning out to be a good buy.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #277: Mar 04, 2018 12:31:40 am
      Mate of mine who went to the match today says they were singing the idiotic sign on song.

This from fans from the North East with the highest unemployment in the country WTF!!!

Bunch of shirtless wankers who don’t deserve a manager like Rafa.

Hopefully they'll get relegated. I doubt anyone would blame Rafa for it either, that fat idiot upstairs would be to blame.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #278: Mar 04, 2018 12:55:55 am
      Mate of mine who went to the match today says they were singing the idiotic sign on song.

This from fans from the North East with the highest unemployment in the country WTF!!!

Bunch of shirtless wankers who don’t deserve a manager like Rafa.

They sang that Gerrard song too, hope they get relegated and Rafa joins another Club.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #279: Mar 04, 2018 01:37:52 am
      Was a very comfortable win.

I voted for Karius for MOTM.  That great save at that time meant a lot to the team IMHO.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #280: Mar 04, 2018 02:21:08 am
      Was a very comfortable win.

I voted for Karius for MOTM.  That great save at that time meant a lot to the team IMHO.

Me too.

Top drawer save that kept the lead at the half and stopped us from having to break them down again.

He came for everything and collected with ease. His distribution was my favourite part, though.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #281: Mar 04, 2018 02:45:07 am
      Quote from 5timesacharm
      This was an excellent performance by Liverpool, quite possibly one of our best, until the last twenty minutes. It was a match were we needed to be patient and not attempt to force things and Liverpool showed a level of maturity that was simply missing at the beginning of the season. We've come a long way in just a few months. The last twenty minutes, however, was simply too sloppy and against Porto or United, we'd be punished for such sloppy play. I'm sure Klopp will be having words about that as we speak.

I thought the refereeing was dreadful again and so I'm going to digress here for a moment. VAR needs to be rolled out once and for all, but not the VAR that the disfunctional FA running this country's game has introduced. Officials need to be wired up so the supporters both at home and in the ground can hear them. It also needs to be strategic like it is in Cricket. Limit it to say three appeals per side in the match so it's not used willy nilly and is at the discretion of the Captains, not the referees so the flow of the game is not disrupted.

Back to the match, another fine save from Karius to keep us in the match. He's going from strength to strength as a keeper. His positioning has improved, his communication is head and shoulders above Mignolet's and his distribution has added another dimension to our attack. I would still like to see another top goalkeeper signed in the Summer, if for no other reason than to keep him on his toes.

Didn't see much wrong with the last 20 minutes. In fact, it was the kind of performance that people have been screaming for months. Just see the game out comfortably. Once the first goal went in, it was a stroll after that. 

Karius has improved. Hard to believe he was written off as a basket case, just a few weeks ago. Now he's no. 1, but Migs was showered with similiar praise when he replaced him halfway through last season, and we know how long that lasted. But as soon as Karius makes a mistake, he will be widely dismissed as a basket case again, and the calls for Migs to return will be back.

VAR is there to help referees, so it's up to the referees to use it, so as to correct wrong decisions, not a tactic for captains and coaches to use when it suits them best, usually late in the game. Just 9 more league games to go, and then it's here for good.
      Breeding-Reds-In-The-434
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,169 posts | 1094 
      Reply #282: Mar 04, 2018 03:09:31 am
      I voted for Mo but could easily see the Ox getting a lot of up votes. Mo kept them under fire all day.

Ox looks like a real good Center Mid. Here lately he is the guy that is bringing the MF and front 3 together. I love him running at the back line with the ball and drawing people away from our forwards. He’s creating chances for other guys.

Hendo looked good. Did a lot of the dirty work that good Gini often does. Quiet but effective.

I really like Lovern with VVD. Looks a lot calmer with a real leader calling the shots.

Trent and Robbo are fullbacks here for as long as they wanna be. Both will only get better too. Excited about those positions for the first time in a long time.

Karius is playing so well right now. How cool would it be if he shut out Man U Suck? Really cool!!! I hope he plays well in that game and keeps the confidence up. That is so key right now. Saves like today will only build it stronger.

If u don’t love Klopp u ain’t human. His reaction in the 93rd would be enough for me to wanna go play for him. Up 2 with 30 seconds to play and he freaks out when his player doesn’t get a chance to take goal scoring lead. Gotta love it!
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #283: Mar 04, 2018 04:02:31 am
      E-A-S-Y
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #284: Mar 04, 2018 06:37:33 am
      Glad we got the Rafa monkey of our back now with the first win in 6 attempts. Thought we were controlled and composed when it mattered dispelling another myth about not having a plan b or method of beating bus parkers.

Keep on marching you red men!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,695 posts | 3714 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #285: Mar 04, 2018 07:24:29 am
      I did not watch the match but a great result which put more pressure on the other top 5 teams. Hope City win against Chelsea to hold the gap between us.

Well done Reds.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #286: Mar 04, 2018 07:42:59 am
      Really important win yesterday as it cranks the pressure up on Chelsea and if City can do the business it'll give us a bit of breathing space with the visit to toilet next weekend.

What has impressed me recently is how well our midfield three has been playing. Klopp has been rotating them and it doesn't seem to matter whether it's Hendo, Can, Gino, Ox or Milner. They have all been excellent. I thought Ox and Hendo were our standout players yesterday.

Kudos also goes to karius for a superb save to keep it level before HT, that was a real game changer. I still want us to sign a top keeper in the summer but if he can keep up his current level who knows.

Full backs were excellent again yesterday, TAA has really come on strong since Gomez got injured and it his his shirt to lose now by the looks of it. I think that was our strongest back four yesterday, I prefer the VVD-Lovren partnership to Matip, they compliment each other better imo. All in all a really solid home win and 3 points well deserved.
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #287: Mar 04, 2018 08:21:27 am
      Very happy with the results. In all fairness we don;t give enough credit to Newcastle moreso Rafa. They were very well  organised and did not give us much space until the point we scored the first goal. Rafa is no mug, he's a world class manager and knows the EPL inside out, he knows what is needed to grind out results especially against a very attack minded Liverpool nowadays. It was CL barcelona stuff all over again as what I have expected and it nearly paid off for them until that world class save from Karius. They made life difficult for us but perseverance and plenty of hard work by the lads that paid off eventually. Let's not expect every game to be 4-0 or 5-0.

Well done lads, keep up the good work and let focus our game against MU.

I have come to realize that opposition that sang to rub into Stevie would result them conceding after that. Perhaps the lads up the tempo and I don't mind they continue to do that on our behalf and that actually saves us some energy and forget about the lyrics. ;D.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,297 posts | 765 
      Reply #288: Mar 04, 2018 09:30:08 am
      Very decent result, against a struggling Newcastle side. Surely Rafa will move on to a club more inline, with his pedigree.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #289: Mar 04, 2018 09:44:24 am
      They sang that Gerrard song too, hope they get relegated and Rafa joins another Club.

Not sure about relegated but wouldn't be surprised to see Rafa at Everton next season.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #290: Mar 04, 2018 10:01:17 am
      Steven Gerrard summed it up in his post match comments.  Newcastle are a Championship side with a Premier League manager.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #291: Mar 04, 2018 10:20:25 am
      Not sure about relegated but wouldn't be surprised to see Rafa at Everton next season.

Surely Rafa couldn't go to Everton after having called them a small club in the past :-)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #292: Mar 04, 2018 10:48:20 am

I'd be surprised.  He'd be given 'less of a chance' by the fans - they're already at Fat Sam's throats and he's 'probably' saved them from relegation. 

And assuming that Newcastle a) stay up and b) do get some kind of investment - here's a genuine question - are Everton even a bigger club than Newcastle.  I'm not sure they are at all. 
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #293: Mar 04, 2018 10:49:49 am
      Surely Rafa couldn't go to Everton after having called them a small club in the past :-)

Family are here on the Wirral, squad isn't as bad as its looking, bit of cash, no sign of anything else within travelling range or Wirral.

Begrudgingly, I wouldn't begrudge him of it.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #294: Mar 04, 2018 12:08:07 pm
      Didn't see much wrong with the last 20 minutes. In fact, it was the kind of performance that people have been screaming for months. Just see the game out comfortably. Once the first goal went in, it was a stroll after that. 

Karius has improved. Hard to believe he was written off as a basket case, just a few weeks ago. Now he's no. 1, but Migs was showered with similiar praise when he replaced him halfway through last season, and we know how long that lasted. But as soon as Karius makes a mistake, he will be widely dismissed as a basket case again, and the calls for Migs to return will be back.

VAR is there to help referees, so it's up to the referees to use it, so as to correct wrong decisions, not a tactic for captains and coaches to use when it suits them best, usually late in the game. Just 9 more league games to go, and then it's here for good.

They began to take the win for granted with passing getting sloppy. I felt concentration levels dipped somewhat as well. As for VAR, in its current form it slows down the game. The FA are basing it on the Rugby model were as I'm proposing it should be based on the Cricket model in order to not slow down the game. We already have goal line technology to tell the ref if the ball crosses the line or not and that works fine so why fold that into VAR? Better to have it work alongside VAR.

Limit it to being used in the most contentious of situations such as the handball that was not given that might have lead to a penalty, or the sending off that would have resulted in a free kick (but everyone thought was a pen at the time). It should not be used to see if the goalscorer was a couple of centimeters offside. What it should be used for is when the goalscorer is a yard or two offside and the linesman clearly gets it wrong. Then, like in Cricket, the Captain calls for a review and the decision is overturned. That still helps officials and improves the accuracy of the game, but it doesn't slow the game down by reviewing every inconsequential decision which is how it works now.

When the ball goes in the back of the net, fans want to celebrate, not sit there twiddling their thumbs, waiting for some ref sat 100 miles away make a decision behind the scenes. If you limit the number of appeals like Cricket does, then it's not used frivolously and becomes a strategic tool to ensure that only the most important decisions are made correctly.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #295: Mar 04, 2018 12:31:41 pm
      I don't see Rafa staying no matter what happens, unless they get new owners.

West Ham looks like a pretty solid fit for both parties.

Or Arsenal? Hmm.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,433 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #296: Mar 04, 2018 01:26:00 pm
      Not our most fluent performance,  almost fees slightly anticlimatic when we don't rip people to shreds, a bit sloppy but it was more than enough, Jürgen didn't look too enamored at times with the performance
      Harrisimo

• 8,286 posts | 1400 
      Reply #297: Mar 04, 2018 02:00:02 pm
      No matter what version of VAR comes in it will slow the game down. Been said a Cricket type VAR would be better. Hardly as several things have to be checked.With Cricket being a slow game anyway nobody is bothered by the delay.

The other thing with VAR is it will help stop the bigger clubs getting their way. So many times we see Refs duck a sending off against smaller clubs. It could also benefit us to a degree. As we know the whole World is against us, especially the Ass.Referee's of the game.

So I reckon us being obviously, and I'm trying to be fair here, the most sincere, upstanding, integrous, decent,honest team the world has ever seen will gain about 6 points and the cheating bas**rds from Spurs will lose about 12...and it might stop Dele The Diver as well..
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #298: Mar 04, 2018 02:43:03 pm
      They seem like a bunch of classless inbreds who deserve the Championship.

They're still hurt they lost City of Culture to us!!

Job done, three points, two good goals and should of had two pens for the challenges on Salah in the box. Ref & linesman making those decisions yesterday were absolute shitbags.

The football for our second goal was superb.

Quick Reply