Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match v Newcastle?

Loris Karius
      20 (20.4%)
      Virgil van Dijk
      1 (1%)
      Dejan Lovren
      0 (0%)
      Andy Robertson
      1 (1%)
      Trent Alexander-Arnold
      0 (0%)
      Jordan Henderson
      18 (18.4%)
      Emre Can
      2 (2%)
      Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
      41 (41.8%)
      Mohammed Salah
      8 (8.2%)
      Sadio Mane
      1 (1%)
      Roberto Firmino
      6 (6.1%)
      James Milner
      0 (0%)
      Joel Matip
      0 (0%)
      Adam Lallana
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Voting closed: Mar 07, 2018 07:21:05 pm

Liverpool 2-0 Newcastle United: In game and Post Match discussion

Read 21918 times
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Re: Liverpool 2-0 Newcastle United: In game and Post Match discussion
      Reply #299: Mar 04, 2018 03:51:40 pm
      I've got to admit I completely underestimated this squad, and Jürgen to some extent.

When we sold coutinho I was convinced that our season would go tits up but we just keep going from strength to strength. We are playing some really good stuff at the moment and if it wasn't for the freak form of Man City then we'd be in the running for the title.

I keep expecting the old Liverpool habits to appear where we put on a good performance and get a good result but then lose/draw to a sh*te team who we should beat comfortably. It hasn't happened yet.

The other teams around us keep winning but our bottle hasn't gone either. We keep doing our job too. The boys knew they had to win yesterday after Spurs got their result earlier on but did they panic? No. It was a breeze. We played the whole game in second gear and won comfortably.

It was another good, solid, professional performance from us yesterday and I couldn't be any happier to admit I was wrong about the coutinho sale. I feel guilty for underestimating the squad. No matter what happens from now until the end of the season, they have proven already they are good enough and that we don't need him.

Few special mentions. Firstly to karius who has barely put a foot wrong since klopp named him our number 1. I'm not saying he's the answer but I always said there was no way he was any worse than Mignolet. He has far less mistakes in him than what Mignolet does and that's starting to show now. He's playing well and that save yesteday was a fantastic stop at a very crucial time too.

Mo salah. The lad is sensational. 24 goals and 8 assists in 29 games? Wow. Unbelievable. Keep it up mo mate, you're on fire.

VVD. He hasn't half brought a much needed calmness to our back four. We actually look like we can defend now.

Robertson. He, alongside VVD and karius, has played his part in making us a much more solid unit. But this lad can play too. It's so refreshing to see a decent left back at the club again.

Ox. My motm. He isn't and never will be the greatest player in the world but I love his energy and his work ethic. Always looks like he's playing for the shirt in my opinion. He wants to play for liverpool and you can tell he's enjoying his football right now. Is he good enough to be in the starting 11 every week? I'm not sure. But keep it up mate, you're doing boss, and you're a great addition to this squad.

Final run of games now. Keep playing the way you are reds and we will finish second no problem.  I can't help but get excited when I think about what the future holds. I just hope FSG are feeling the same as me and give us that push we need to seriously challenge city for that title next season.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,180 posts | 1385 
      Reply #300: Mar 04, 2018 05:10:25 pm
      City 1-0 up V Chelsea...7 point gap as it stands. We may need every point.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #301: Mar 04, 2018 06:46:57 pm
      Quote from 5timesacharm
      As for VAR, in its current form it slows down the game. The FA are basing it on the Rugby model were as I'm proposing it should be based on the Cricket model in order to not slow down the game. We already have goal line technology to tell the ref if the ball crosses the line or not and that works fine so why fold that into VAR? Better to have it work alongside VAR.

Limit it to being used in the most contentious of situations such as the handball that was not given that might have lead to a penalty, or the sending off that would have resulted in a free kick (but everyone thought was a pen at the time). It should not be used to see if the goalscorer was a couple of centimeters offside. What it should be used for is when the goalscorer is a yard or two offside and the linesman clearly gets it wrong. Then, like in Cricket, the Captain calls for a review and the decision is overturned. That still helps officials and improves the accuracy of the game, but it doesn't slow the game down by reviewing every inconsequential decision which is how it works now.

When the ball goes in the back of the net, fans want to celebrate, not sit there twiddling their thumbs, waiting for some ref sat 100 miles away make a decision behind the scenes. If you limit the number of appeals like Cricket does, then it's not used frivolously and becomes a strategic tool to ensure that only the most important decisions are made correctly.

It's not meant to be a strategic tool for teams, it's meant to help referees reach the correct decision. And in order for it to work, then every game changing decision has to be verified. Whether it's a penalty or a dive, a red card or a blatant dive, a great goal or an offside, or the penalty we got in the cup. Which despite the length of time it took, it's still a penalty any day of the week, according to the laws of the game. They all influence the game, and if a wrong decision is initially given, then we have to have the facility to put it right. The decisions have to be got right, the consequences of them being wrong can be considerable.

I've seen the cricket system, and I don't think it's right that teams have limited opportunities to review a decision. So you have teams waiting to use their review, and therefore having to let other wrong decisions stand. You can guarantee football coaches/captains would do the same. A dive given as a penalty is still a dive and it has to be ruled as a dive, not let go because somebody wants to wait until injury time before asking for a review, or alternatively has used up their review beforehand. Players and coaches try to influence officials enough as it is. Allowing them to influence VAR as well makes a mockery of the whole thing. It should be the refs call, because he is the one whose decisions can make or break a season.

There have been plenty of perfectly legal goals scored in VAR games so far, and fans celebrated as normal. Fans will still celebrate goals next season, and they'll know there and then that there was no issue with it. If there is, it will be disallowed, as is the case today, when the refs think they've seen an issue. Next year, they'll know there's been an issue, and they'll then apply the laws of the game as they're supposed to be applied, in a fair and impartial manner.

We have far too much tolerance of foul play and cheating in our sport, it stinks at all levels. VAR is designed to clean that culture up, so that every team gets no more or less than what they deserve. Refs can be conned, but cameras can't.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #302: Mar 04, 2018 07:14:24 pm
      City 1-0 up V Chelsea...7 point gap as it stands. We may need every point.

As long as we don't lose when we play Chelsea we might only need about 5 wins out of the last 9 to ensure CL qualification.

Can't see Chelsea getting 75 points from here on in.
      Gill95
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,653 posts | 481 
      Reply #303: Mar 04, 2018 07:26:42 pm
      As long as we don't lose when we play Chelsea we might only need about 5 wins out of the last 9 to ensure CL qualification.

Can't see Chelsea getting 75 points from here on in.

And there is Chelsea vs Tottenham too! Seems we're almost guaranteed to finish in top 4.

It's on us now to finish as high as possible.
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #304: Mar 05, 2018 08:05:38 pm
      When we win the champions league. We get automatic qualification don’t we.?

Quick Reply