Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Tue 16th Jun @ 8:00 pm
      Goodison Park

Today is the 31st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W5 D1 L1

WW2 History

Read 815 times
      6stringer
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,950 posts | 463 
      Re: WW2 History
      Reply #25: Apr 01, 2018 01:02:52 am
      Back in the late 80's when I was in a touring Rock band we played a six week tour of the British and US army bases in Germany playing mainly squady bases in Munster, Hannover, Osnabruck, Soest and Frankfurt to name a few.
      We were met with open arms when we turned up to play the gig at each of the bases and we had a great time entertaining the troops during our stay.
      On one occasion at one of the bases in Osnabruck we grabbed a ride/tour in a jeep to an area within the base which was known to be a concentration camp..It was really spooky and not a nice atmosphere to be in at all.
      What was left was a few crumbled ruined buildings surrounded by what I can only describe as a perimeter of forest trees.
      One of the buildings which was pretty much intact was the main office building and above the door was a scary looking Nazi Eagle symbol peppered with bullet and shell holes.
      The lads who patrol the area told me that they dread doing night shifts around the perimeter on foot as the noises you hear make you sh*t your pants. No birds sing in the pine trees nearby and it's a horrible shitty atmosphere to experience with all kinds of weird sounds f**king with your head as you patrol round.

We also toured Brittany around 2001, landing at an airstrip in a dodgy plane from Jersey just south of St Malo and went on to play some great gigs around the area including places like Cherbourg and Brest (Our road crew travelled by road / ferry from Dover-Calais onwards ;))
      During the time we were there and driving around we came across some relics and ruins along the coast and roadsides (Tanks, artillery positions, bunkers, outposts) which were amazing to see first hand.
      Whilst we were there we played at a local bar in a small village outside Saint Renan and the owner showed us a nearby farmhouse which the SS used to interrogate the French Resistance..
      There are place like this all over Northern France.

My wife has some relatives near the area of Macon and with the wonders of technology and facetime/skype have been able to keep in touch and we have arranged a summer visit..
      They tell me they are not far from the city of Vichy which I'd like to explore.
      I like France, Its a lovely country with so much history to it.

Trouble is, their wine is the best in the world.  ;D :ernaehrung004:

YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #26: Apr 02, 2018 01:58:52 pm
      Back in the late 80's when I was in a touring Rock band we played a six week tour of the British and US army bases in Germany playing mainly squady bases in Munster, Hannover, Osnabruck, Soest and Frankfurt to name a few.
      We were met with open arms when we turned up to play the gig at each of the bases and we had a great time entertaining the troops during our stay.
      On one occasion at one of the bases in Osnabruck we grabbed a ride/tour in a jeep to an area within the base which was known to be a concentration camp..It was really spooky and not a nice atmosphere to be in at all.
      What was left was a few crumbled ruined buildings surrounded by what I can only describe as a perimeter of forest trees.
      One of the buildings which was pretty much intact was the main office building and above the door was a scary looking Nazi Eagle symbol peppered with bullet and shell holes.
      The lads who patrol the area told me that they dread doing night shifts around the perimeter on foot as the noises you hear make you sh*t your pants. No birds sing in the pine trees nearby and it's a horrible shitty atmosphere to experience with all kinds of weird sounds f**king with your head as you patrol round.

We also toured Brittany around 2001, landing at an airstrip in a dodgy plane from Jersey just south of St Malo and went on to play some great gigs around the area including places like Cherbourg and Brest (Our road crew travelled by road / ferry from Dover-Calais onwards ;))
      During the time we were there and driving around we came across some relics and ruins along the coast and roadsides (Tanks, artillery positions, bunkers, outposts) which were amazing to see first hand.
      Whilst we were there we played at a local bar in a small village outside Saint Renan and the owner showed us a nearby farmhouse which the SS used to interrogate the French Resistance..
      There are place like this all over Northern France.

My wife has some relatives near the area of Macon and with the wonders of technology and facetime/skype have been able to keep in touch and we have arranged a summer visit..
      They tell me they are not far from the city of Vichy which I'd like to explore.
      I like France, Its a lovely country with so much history to it.

Trouble is, their wine is the best in the world.  ;D :ernaehrung004:

There is a great website called thirdreichruins.com . It is all pictures of Nazi era buildings and monuments that show nazi era pic and what they look like now. There are a lot of buildings that still have the "Hoheitszeichen" or Reichsadler which was that nazi eagle/swastika. The eagles still exist but due to denazification the swastikas were all chipped off. A real famous one is the Nazi Burger King. Its a BK in an old 30s building that still has the Eagle and wreath on the side. Its weird. But the site is amazing. You can still see  the Zeppelin stand and actually stand on the spot Hitler used to make speeches in Nuremburg at the party rallies.  A really weird way to touch a piece of history that is scary and horrible but its so important to keep alive and to discuss and debate so we dont repeat that era.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #27: Apr 03, 2018 04:49:15 am
      I was asked recently why the number 52 is on the front of his tank yet he was in the 46th RTR.
      Here's the explanation ;

As you can see his regiment, the 46th has the number 52 assigned to it which is why most of the Liverpool lads(and Welsh lads) were in the 23rd Armoured Brigade.
      What's more, the Liverbird was their symbol, how cool was that !!
      I'm hoping that once it's colourised, that Liverbird symbol will be visable on the front right of his tank

Interesting, great research.

WW2 research is very hard when it comes to the smaller units. Divisional history is factual but when it comes to finding small unit history its very confusing. The action reports are best for research but they are not always complete. Especially when it was close to VE. A lot of American units executed the SS men after they liberated the camps. But, you wont find that in reports. I dont blame them, i probably would of done the same. At that time they were numb to it all.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #28: Apr 03, 2018 02:56:51 pm
      A massive misconception about WW2 is the famous " If it wasnt for America you'd be speaking German". Which is heard by the French and British.  Which is usually uttered by the same idiot countrymen who think the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor and visit the U.K. and drink Budweiser because its an Import beer. The Aussies call them "Bogans".

Its certainly an interesting topic. But it's complete 100% bullshit. When we entered Europe the Blitz was already over for Germany. They scaled back the plans for "Operation Sealion", the Invasion of Britain and then started turning toward a Fortress mentality. Securing the French coast, the West Wall. They were suffering massive casualties in Russia and an invasion of Britain was almost impossible. Plus, the amount of artillery pieces, shells and tanks we shipped over to you even before we got to England, would of decimated any attempted landing.

So next time an ignorant moron try's acting smart throw these facts in his face and remind him how British Tanks pounded the Africa Corps and stopped Hitler from getting his much needed Oil reserves. Probably shortening the war by 2 years.

Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,001 posts | 599 
      Reply #29: Apr 10, 2018 03:01:45 pm
      One of the quirky facts about Liverpool was that Adolf Hitlers older half brother Alois Hitler, once lived in Liverpool. He was a bit of a lad by all accounts and wasn't short of confidence. He pitched up in Dublin and took up with Bridget Dowling. She was a bit of a sort as well.

They eloped to London but ended up in Liverpool. Pick up on the link for the full S.P.

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/census-shows-hitlers-half-brother-married-to-an-irishwoman-lived-in-liverpool

Another fact often ignored is that the borough of Bootle,Liverpool, actually took more bomb damage in WW2 than any other borough in the UK, east end of London included. Mostly because of it's close proximity to the Port of Liverpool docks. Some 89% of housing stock took serious damage. My Father was in the Bootle fire brigade. Never said a word about the horrors he must have seen.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #30: Apr 13, 2018 10:32:50 am
      One of the quirky facts about Liverpool was that Adolf Hitlers older half brother Alois Hitler, once lived in Liverpool. He was a bit of a lad by all accounts and wasn't short of confidence. He pitched up in Dublin and took up with Bridget Dowling. She was a bit of a sort as well.

They eloped to London but ended up in Liverpool. Pick up on the link for the full S.P.

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/census-shows-hitlers-half-brother-married-to-an-irishwoman-lived-in-liverpool

Another fact often ignored is that the borough of Bootle,Liverpool, actually took more bomb damage in WW2 than any other borough in the UK, east end of London included. Mostly because of it's close proximity to the Port of Liverpool docks. Some 89% of housing stock took serious damage. My Father was in the Bootle fire brigade. Never said a word about the horrors he must have seen.

Hitler still has family living here in the US. Apparently his brother or nephew moved to Long Island and had kids. It was a family secret and all of the male heirs made a vow to never have kids so Hitlers line will die off and I think only 2 are still alive in their 50s.

A lot of other Nazis have living children. Heydrich, Bormann, Himmler, Mengele and Eichmann.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,563 posts | 1901 
      Reply #31: Apr 13, 2018 10:55:17 am
      There used to be a P.O.W. camp between Woolfall Heath and Stockbridge Lane (not far from Page Moss)It was famous for the fact that one of the P.O.Ws was a goalkeeper by the name of Bert Troutman and he went on to play for Man City.When we were kids we would look through the wire mesh fence at the prisoners.
                                                           Every house had an air raid shelter in the back garden (they were known as anderson shelter and were just corrugated iron dug into the garden) In the city were the tenaments were they had communal shelters.Every person including children were supplied with a gas mask by the government.The little kids masks were like Micky Mouse--------nearly said Owen there.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #32: Apr 14, 2018 05:21:36 am
      There used to be a P.O.W. camp between Woolfall Heath and Stockbridge Lane (not far from Page Moss)It was famous for the fact that one of the P.O.Ws was a goalkeeper by the name of Bert Troutman and he went on to play for Man City.When we were kids we would look through the wire mesh fence at the prisoners.
                                                           Every house had an air raid shelter in the back garden (they were known as anderson shelter and were just corrugated iron dug into the garden) In the city were the tenaments were they had communal shelters.Every person including children were supplied with a gas mask by the government.The little kids masks were like Micky Mouse--------nearly said Owen there.

Those "Anderson" shelters were hilarious. People would leave their homes with solid feet of lumber over them to sit in a hole with a 1/8" piece of corrugated poxy metal roof.  I watche a BBC documentary about the blitz and they built full size homes and detonated explosives comparable to German bombs, to show the differences between the munitions and to show the damage they inflicted. The German 1000lb bombs were catastrophic.  It Just obliterated all the surrounding buildings. Those shelters were useless.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,563 posts | 1901 
      Reply #33: Apr 14, 2018 09:37:53 am
      Those "Anderson" shelters were hilarious. People would leave their homes with solid feet of lumber over them to sit in a hole with a 1/8" piece of corrugated poxy metal roof.  I watche a BBC documentary about the blitz and they built full size homes and detonated explosives comparable to German bombs, to show the differences between the munitions and to show the damage they inflicted. The German 1000lb bombs were catastrophic.  It Just obliterated all the surrounding buildings. Those shelters were useless.

Where I lived in the Page Moss Area the Anderson shelters were dug into the ground and covered with earth.I can't recall any damage  done in that area by the German Luftwaff.My dad bought the shelter from the government after the war  and dug it up and used it as a garden shed.It was still standing in the 1980's to my knowledge.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #34: Apr 14, 2018 12:12:56 pm
      When my grandfather came home from the war, he built a house and had the builders build a side workshop/bunker in the basement. It was just before the cold war but he saw what happened in Japan. Its about a foot below the foundation but had it directly under the cement front patio.  It has about 3 feet of earth, gravel and 36" slab of reinforced concrete. We get occasional tornado warnings and if one is close thats the best place to be.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,497 posts | 1396 
      Reply #35: May 05, 2018 01:53:58 am
      When my grandfather came home from the war, he built a house and had the builders build a side workshop/bunker in the basement. It was just before the cold war but he saw what happened in Japan. Its about a foot below the foundation but had it directly under the cement front patio.  It has about 3 feet of earth, gravel and 36" slab of reinforced concrete. We get occasional tornado warnings and if one is close thats the best place to be.

I remember in the 70s being given a tour of the town post office with my school class. In the basement was a nuclear fallout shelter which it turned out was one of only two in town. They each could hold about 100 people for a town of 4,500. I guess it was a case of privilege for the swift...

Speaking of nuclear. I remember giving a ride to a WWII Vet whose car and his broken down. He and his wife were in their late 60s by then as we talked he was adamant he would never see the atomic bombs as a bad thing, because he had been in The Philippines preparing for the invasion of Japan.  I understood what he meant, but I could never think of those bombs as anything but awful.
      Harrisimo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,001 posts | 599 
      Reply #36: May 09, 2018 10:40:05 am
      I remember in the 70s being given a tour of the town post office with my school class. In the basement was a nuclear fallout shelter which it turned out was one of only two in town. They each could hold about 100 people for a town of 4,500. I guess it was a case of privilege for the swift...

Speaking of nuclear. I remember giving a ride to a WWII Vet whose car and his broken down. He and his wife were in their late 60s by then as we talked he was adamant he would never see the atomic bombs as a bad thing, because he had been in The Philippines preparing for the invasion of Japan.  I understood what he meant, but I could never think of those bombs as anything but awful.

Been to Hiroshima and it's amazing how cool the Japanese are about the bomb. Whether the dropping of the bombs shortened the war or actually saved lives is beyond my knowledge of the conflict. Doubt the people killed would say the sacrafice was justified.

Seemed a crazy idea for the Japanese to have attacked USA in the first place. Keep the Yanks at arms length would've been my advice. Similar deal with Hitler. Taking on Russia widened the conflict and his fate was sealed once he attacked Russia.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #37: May 10, 2018 11:20:10 pm
      Been to Hiroshima and it's amazing how cool the Japanese are about the bomb. Whether the dropping of the bombs shortened the war or actually saved lives is beyond my knowledge of the conflict. Doubt the people killed would say the sacrafice was justified.

Seemed a crazy idea for the Japanese to have attacked USA in the first place. Keep the Yanks at arms length would've been my advice. Similar deal with Hitler. Taking on Russia widened the conflict and his fate was sealed once he attacked Russia.

If you see the figures from the Pacific campaigns its very telling. The closer the US were getting to Japan, the more the Japanese threw at us.  It was Okinawa that convinced Truman to use the bomb. The Japanese propaganda told the civilians that the US Marines would kill their children and eat them. That they would kill all the male civilians and sell the women into slavery. Women were so scared they would grab their children and jump over cliffs and die, because they believed it. I always remember the newsreel showing a little girl who is covered with mud, a marine is giving her water and food and she is so terrified she is visibly shaking. Its such a paradox of war. She is horrified from seeing the death and carnage and the Marine who is probably horrified too, takes the time to kneel down and try and comfort a child of the enemy. Its an amazing video.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,379 posts | 2163 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #38: May 11, 2018 06:21:51 pm
      If you see the figures from the Pacific campaigns its very telling. The closer the US were getting to Japan, the more the Japanese threw at us.  It was Okinawa that convinced Truman to use the bomb. The Japanese propaganda told the civilians that the US Marines would kill their children and eat them. That they would kill all the male civilians and sell the women into slavery. Women were so scared they would grab their children and jump over cliffs and die, because they believed it. I always remember the newsreel showing a little girl who is covered with mud, a marine is giving her water and food and she is so terrified she is visibly shaking. Its such a paradox of war. She is horrified from seeing the death and carnage and the Marine who is probably horrified too, takes the time to kneel down and try and comfort a child of the enemy. Its an amazing video.

Even after Hiroshima and Nagasaki there is evidence that the Japanese military wanted to carry on the war
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #39: May 11, 2018 06:59:24 pm
      Even after Hiroshima and Nagasaki there is evidence that the Japanese military wanted to carry on the war

I remember reading the atrocities caused by the Japanese military during WW2. Can't remember the book, but I struggled to finish it because of how horrific it was.
      RedWilly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,219 posts | 1173 
      Reply #40: May 11, 2018 09:09:24 pm
      I remember reading the atrocities caused by the Japanese military during WW2. Can't remember the book, but I struggled to finish it because of how horrific it was.

My grans first husband was a POW in Japan and when she has spoken about it on the rare occasion, she describes it as being horrendous.

One of the stories she mentioned was how he was buried in the ground up to his neck, so just his head out the ground in 40 degree heat for 3 days straight. By all accounts, they were extremely cruel the Japanese during the war.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #41: May 11, 2018 11:01:31 pm
      My grans first husband was a POW in Japan and when she has spoken about it on the rare occasion, she describes it as being horrendous.

One of the stories she mentioned was how he was buried in the ground up to his neck, so just his head out the ground in 40 degree heat for 3 days straight. By all accounts, they were extremely cruel the Japanese during the war.

I have a couple of friends teaching in Japan who told me a lot of the atrocities done by the Japanese military are not taught/mentioned and brushed under the carpet as if it never existed :(

If anyone is interested in how the Japanese Military were back then, check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre. I remember reading a book about it but couldn't finish as it was too much to take in :(
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #42: May 12, 2018 01:31:10 pm
      I have a couple of friends teaching in Japan who told me a lot of the atrocities done by the Japanese military are not taught/mentioned and brushed under the carpet as if it never existed :(

If anyone is interested in how the Japanese Military were back then, check this out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre. I remember reading a book about it but couldn't finish as it was too much to take in :(

They were especially brutal in China. There was a period known as "The Rape of Nanking" where the Japanese just killed everyone. Civilians, women, children they supposedly would bayonet infants. It was as close to raw savagery as any military in history. Comparable to  the SS Dirlewanger Brigade and units of  the Einsatzgruppen.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,379 posts | 2163 
      Reply #43: May 12, 2018 01:57:49 pm
      They were especially brutal in China. There was a period known as "The Rape of Nanking" where the Japanese just killed everyone. Civilians, women, children they supposedly would bayonet infants. It was as close to raw savagery as any military in history. Comparable to  the SS Dirlewanger Brigade and units of  the Einsatzgruppen.

Unit 731 where the Japanese human experiments on humans to test biological and chemical weapons
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #44: May 13, 2018 01:54:51 pm
      Unit 731 where the Japanese human experiments on humans to test biological and chemical weapons

Those fuckers were as close as you could get to Bond Villains. I dont know what it was about WW2 but it seemed like every fu**ed up sociopath doctor and every insane experiment and quack theory was allowed and practiced. It wasnt just the Axis, the US Army conducted Syphillis experiments on soldiers at Tuskeegee.I also read that the Allied Army inoculated troops with malaria in order to study it. Possibly to create a cure then infect the Japanese with a malaria bomb. The British were decimated with Malaria in Malaysia, Philipines and Australia. You guys lost a lot of soldiers to that and dysentery.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,379 posts | 2163 
      Reply #45: May 16, 2018 12:32:00 pm
      Those fuckers were as close as you could get to Bond Villains. I dont know what it was about WW2 but it seemed like every fu**ed up sociopath doctor and every insane experiment and quack theory was allowed and practiced. It wasnt just the Axis, the US Army conducted Syphillis experiments on soldiers at Tuskeegee.I also read that the Allied Army inoculated troops with malaria in order to study it. Possibly to create a cure then infect the Japanese with a malaria bomb. The British were decimated with Malaria in Malaysia, Philipines and Australia. You guys lost a lot of soldiers to that and dysentery.

You had the russians who killed thousands of poles at katyn, interrogated any soldiers captured by the nazi's, largescale raping and looting, had the nkvd going around killing their own soldiers and people
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #46: May 17, 2018 09:33:41 pm
      You had the russians who killed thousands of poles at katyn, interrogated any soldiers captured by the nazi's, largescale raping and looting, had the nkvd going around killing their own soldiers and people
      I think history has been a bit too kind to Stalin. In some aspects he was worse than Hitler. It wasnt really a surprise Churchill hated Stalin. FDR knew that Stalin was a sociopath too but thought it was important to placate him until VE Day. Unfortunately he died and instead of getting tough with Stalin Truman let him do what he wanted. Biggest mistake in the history of the world was Eisenhower ordering the Allied armies to stop at the Elbe and pull back and let Russia take Berlin. Which is a true historical mystery. FDR died on April 12th. The order was given on the 13th or 14th of April. 36 hours after Truman was sworn in as President. History doesnt really tell us if it was FDRs final order to his Supreme Commander or Truman flexing his muscles to show the world leaders that the US line of succession worked and the Constitution is still in effect. Who knows. We do know that Eisenhower hated giving the order. He knew we were days away from a German surrender. If the US and British were first into Berlin, that it was highly probable, the German high command at OKH and OKW would of bypassed Hitlers counter orders, remove Hitler as Chancellor and Supreme Commander and surrender to Eisenhower, Patton or Montgomery.  But, it was also known in SHAEF by some backdoor communications with German Generals that they would not and could not surrender to Zhukov or any Russian without a protracted battle for Berlin.

Because of Ike's order to stand at the Elbe. The battle of Berlin lasted 17 days. Killing thousands of German civilians, soldiers and children. It turned Berlin into a crater and was a useless show of force by an unhinged Sociopath only because he was an "Allied Leader". What really sucked was the fact that Patton was almost there. He had the entire 3rd Army and dozens of armored divisions which could of taken Berlin and East Germany in days. Instead Truman caved in and gave Stalin Eastern Europe.Its strange how history could of been completely different. Eisenhower knew what Stalin was. He disliked Stalin. Stalin was a slob when he ate. Apparently he treated everyone like sh*t. He was rude and was actually dumb. He had no true education. He boasted about all "HIS" victories and how his Generals were not as gifted as he was. But, Ike knew he was a blowhard. He knew Russia would NEVER go back to their pre-1941 borders. He even told Churchill that they were swapping one tyrant for another and arming them too.

Personally I think Eisenhower was one of the best Generals we ever had. His actions and decisions and the way he was able to conduct the war with all the differences and ego's and stress, is amazing. He was one of many planners for D-Day but it was Eisenhower who made the final decisions. He ordered and planned numerous operations after D-Day. He had to go wine and dine numerous European leaders and dignitaries and the next minute order thousands of 18 and 19yr olds to storm a beach under a barrage of automatic weapons and German 88s raining down. Not just American troops but British and French boys too. Think about that! An American General was safeguarding Great Britain and ordering her entire generation of 18 to 25yr olds to invade the most heavily defended coastline in the history of warfare. The stress and anxiety must of been suffocating.

With all that, he still considered  pushing Russia all the way back to their own borders. He knew they would never have a chance to do it like they could in 1945. We had a entire nation geared to military production, we had the largest Air Force and Navy, between 1942 and 1945 we built over 60 Carriers. Plus we had the bomb. Russia was not as strong as the history books claim. The lost 25 million people. They had food shortages, fuel shortages, they had Tanks and artillery in abundance but a limited air force and Navy. Their infantry were ill equipped and poorly trained by 1945. Every major battle the won was because of failures by the Nazis. They won at Stalingrad but suffered more losses than the Germans. They won at Kursk and again lost more than the Germans because Stalin just had more men he could throw in the grinder. The 1940 German Army would of beat the 1945 Russian Army. Its an arbitrary argument and cant be truly quantified but, Russia beat Germany because of one simple word "Attrition" and one General knew this and actually was drawing up plans to surround the Russians and pound them to dust. Patton. Patton would of wiped the Russians out. He even said it publicly, he had no illusions about Stalin or Russia. He begged Eisenhower to push the Russians out. He wanted Truman and Churchill to demand that Russia go back to their 1940 Borders and if they didnt encircle them, cut off their lines to Russia and slowly close the circle. If Russian forces counter attacked and sent reserves from Russia, he planned to drop nukes on them before they could even get to the Poland border. Needless to say Trumam ordered Eisenhower to relieve him of command and a few days later he was dead from a car accident. The man who stood out the hatch of his tank during a battle to shoot at a plane with a pair of silverplated revolvers and challenged Rommel to a tank duel in Libya....died in a f***in' car accident. Possibly by the NKVD on Stalins order. Because Patton was talking sh*t to some Russian Generals and insulted Stalin at a VE day dinner at SHAEF HQ. But thats more conspiracy than anything else.Who cares? I love Patton. He was a product of his time, he had strong beliefs in Honor and Valor and warfare. He wouldnt kill POWs and would probably shoot himself instead of surrender. Like Rommel, another Man and General I admire
      I dont believe he was a true Nazi. He acted completely opposite to those who endorsed and followed the Nazi doctrines. He never ordered a murder or executed POWs or civilians. He was a true soldier and the only German General that Patton respected.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,516 posts | 4346 
      Reply #47: May 18, 2018 04:38:38 pm

I had a neighbour who was in that POW camp, actually a really nice fella called Hans. My grandad (who was a Belgian commando) couldn't stand him for obvious reasons!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 30,516 posts | 4346 
      Reply #48: May 18, 2018 04:41:03 pm
      Where I lived in the Page Moss Area the Anderson shelters were dug into the ground and covered with earth.I can't recall any damage  done in that area by the German Luftwaff.My dad bought the shelter from the government after the war  and dug it up and used it as a garden shed.It was still standing in the 1980's to my knowledge.

My nan used them regularly during the war, plus she used to work in an ammunition factory. I wish I could remember half the stories she used to tell me about life during the war.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 3,202 posts | 330 
      Reply #49: May 18, 2018 10:17:45 pm
      My nan used them regularly during the war, plus she used to work in an ammunition factory. I wish I could remember half the stories she used to tell me about life during the war.

I always thought if I could travel through time I would go to London during the Blitz. From a historical standpoint it would be amazing. I dont mean to sound disrespectful or naive about what was happening. But to stand on the top of a building in London, with the lights sweeping the sky's, barrage balloons, German planes flying over and bombs dropping must of been an emotionally awesome sight.

Quick Reply